• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei Delays Launch of Foldable Smartphone, Being More 'Cautious' After Samsung's Galaxy Fold Issues

CyberPanda

Banned
Huawei today confirmed it is delaying the launch of its Mate X foldable smartphone from June to September for quality assurance purposes.

A spokesperson for Huawei said the Chinese smartphone maker is being more "cautious" after some reviewers experienced embarrassing display issues with Samsung's foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Fold. "We don't want to launch a product to destroy our reputation," the spokesperson told CNBC.

Samsung delayed the launch of the Galaxy Fold back in April and plans to announce a new release date "in the coming weeks," according to CNET.

Last month, the Trump administration added Huawei to a trade blacklist over alleged national security concerns, effectively forbidding U.S. companies from doing business with the Chinese smartphone and telecom giant, but a Huawei executive said that supply chain issues are not behind the delay.

Huawei is instead postponing sales of the Mate X in part to improve the quality of the device's folding screen, said Vincent Peng, a senior vice president at Huawei, on the sidelines of a Wall Street Journal tech conference in Hong Kong.

Adhering to the ban, Google parent company Alphabet previously said it will no longer license Android to Huawei for its smartphones after a 90-day reprieve granted by the U.S. government expires in August. In this event, Peng said Huawei could have its own Hongmeng operating system ready by early next year.

"Our preference will of course be Google and Android as we have been partners for many years," said Peng, according to Reuters. "But if the circumstances force us to, we can roll out Hongmeng in six to nine months."

It is unclear if Apple will ever release a folding iPhone, but it has certainly explored the idea in patents. The technology is not cheap, with Huawei's Mate X expected to start at $2,600 in the United States, and clearly is not without its issues either as evidenced by Huawei's and Samsung's struggles.

llien

My note 9 has a 6.4 inch screen already why would I need bigger.
Look, folding allows one to cut phone size, making it much more "pocketable".

As for why would anyone want tablet bigger than 6.4 inch, or why someone would prefer something smaller than 6.4 inch to carry around, isn't it obvious?

Lukin1978

Look, folding allows one to cut phone size, making it much more "pocketable".

As for why would anyone want tablet bigger than 6.4 inch, or why someone would prefer something smaller than 6.4 inch to carry around, isn't it obvious?
Add complexity and problems to push for bigger screen size. Make it foldable how about make it reliable first.

There is a very simple solution to the issue of folding a phone, yet increasing the phone screen size.

I just refuse to believe that these companies haven't thought of it

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like physics will not allow an object as delicate as a screen to be folded over and over again without some sign of wear. An I wrong on this? Like even memory foam breaks down some after compressing and uncompressing it over and over again too many times

Last edited:
One day phones will be brain implants administered by the corporate state apparatus. From Age 0 to 100 you will be the power-source for the standardized globally connected firmware influencing your every thought 24/7.

Trimesh

Banned
Honestly sounds like a smart move to me. If even Samsung - who are one of largest and most experienced makers of OLED displays - managed to screw up their flexible screen, I wouldn't want to be the one making a bet that Huawei's screen supplier (BOE Display, IIRC) will somehow manage to do a much better job.

Top Bottom