• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubble finds a supermassive black hole in one of the smallest known galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerosum

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at the size of the black hole, or the density of the galaxy itself.

I can't even imagine looking up into that night sky.

Monocle

Space is awesome. Imagine all the beautiful sights we could see from other vantage points. Somebody should build an interstellar (or better, intergalactic) spacecraft to take mind blowing pictures. I would make the greatest Tumblr, I tell you.

My aunt told me on Sunday that black holes are made up by scientists to confuse people to keep them from going to church. She was completely serious. I'm going to send her this article.
That's sad.

I wonder if humanity will ever leave our galaxy.

It's too inconceivable to even leave the solar system at this point. But damn, I get depressed thinking if we do, it'll never be in my lifetime.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Space is awesome. Imagine all the beautiful sights we could see from other vantage points. Somebody should build an interstellar (or better, intergalactic) spacecraft to take mind blowing pictures. I would make the greatest Tumblr, I tell you.

That's sad.

Indeed sad.

And way for the new "awesome" telescope launch.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wonder if humanity will ever leave our galaxy.

It's too inconceivable to even leave the solar system at this point. But damn, I get depressed thinking if we do, it'll never be in my lifetime.

Voyager is the fastest thing we've made - it travels at five thousandths of a percent of the speed of light. Assuming it travelled the shortest path to an edge of the milky way, it would take almost 1.15 billion years to leave the galaxy.

Even if we had the ability to travel at 5% of the speed of light, it would take us 1.15 million years to leave the Milky Way..

Gale_600x300_template.gif

I want to see a night sky there...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The black hole at the center of our Milky Way galaxy has the mass of four million suns. As heavy as that is, it is less than 0.01 percent of the Milky Way’s total mass. By comparison, the supermassive black hole at the center of M60-UCD1, which has the mass of 21 million suns, is a stunning 15 percent of the small galaxy’s total mass.

Meh, I've seen supermassive-er.

Its time where I take in the sheer size of the universe (the galaxy even) that makes me confident that extraterrestial life does exist out there.

hmm, no mention of our Galaxy will merge with Andromeda yet?

although it's a few billion years away, but i guess we know what fate our galaxy will have then, since this one had the that collision and future merge ahead of it.

cHaotix8

Its time where I take in the sheer size of the universe (the galaxy even) that makes me confident that extraterrestial life does exist out there.

Yeah, the universe is so vast and ancient that there has to be other lifeforms out there, at least at some point. It's like statistically impossible for there not to be!

My aunt told me on Sunday that black holes are made up by scientists to confuse people to keep them from going to church. She was completely serious. I'm going to send her this article.
That is absolutely fucking amazing. What was her logic? I would love to listen to someone like this.

StuBurns

Banned
Doesn't it actually seem more likely that a massively dense galaxy would house a super-massive black hole? Black holes unify if they meet, so a denser galaxy will have them meet more often, and result in a larger black hole, no?

Aiii

So not worth it
So, AstronomerGAF, am I right to conclude the density of this dwarf galaxy is likely to be in direct relation to the extreme mass (and pull) from the black hole?

StuBurns

Banned
The freakiest bit about black holes is that once you're in it, you can see the back of your head... like in front of you.

The concept is so bizarre and creepy that it scares me. Scarier still that it saps light from anything.

http://blogs.redorbit.com/5-frightening-facts-about-black-holes/
They don't really 'sap' light.

Every object in space has it's own gravitational pull, and to escape them you need to meet their specific 'escape velocity', black holes just require a greater escape velocity than the speed of light, so no light can leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom