• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Monthly is gone, Here comes Humble Choice

cw13rBU.png

Better not cancel those subs, they are looking to make the change during 2019.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Did anybody actually subscribe to Humble Bundle Monthly? Curious because I don't think I've ever saw it mentioned.

Last edited:
Did anybody actually subscribe to Humble Bundle Monthly? Curious because I don't think I've ever saw it mentioned.
I did it every once in a while. I only snagged it if the early unlock was a game I wanted. I thankfully never gambled with the unknowns.

Ive been subscribed since the beginning. Monthly has been awesome and the current one up has to be one of the best.

Graciaus

It was an insanely good deal so not surprised they are finally raising the price. Mine is still paid for until next May so wonder how that works.

Yeah I just took a look and it seems like a superb deal. Was wondering why nobody mentioned.

I always thought about making a monthly thread for it but just never have. Ive gotten some great games from it over the years. Dark Souls 3 was a great month as well.

Holammer

Never subbed myself, if there's interesting games on offer I take one month and unsub. With a huge library I just end up buying games for my friends otherwise, plus they started adding more non-steam games.

Graciaus

So apparently as long as you don't cancel before they switch over you can still keep paying $12. The price change is just for new people or returning. Also all the games will be revealed now not just the main ones.

I never unsubbed since the chance I got something good from the randoms was worth the "risk". I've got a ton of great games I would have never heard of without Humble. I've been doing it for over 2 years and even I missed out on some great stuff which I'm mad about.

So if you don't get classic you get to pay more and get one less game? What a deal !

Pretty much. I’ve been subbed since even one good game makes the 12 worth it but they would have to seriously up quality if they want 20 a month

I sub on and off as the showpieces interest me. This new product seems like a smart move to keep/add subscribers, but I question whether it will be worth it.

I'm subbed now, but fear of losing "Choice" won't stop me from un-subbing. It will still probably be cheaper overall to just sub when there are a selection of games you want and then drop it rather than paying for the whole year.

Fbh

So if you don't get classic you get to pay more and get one less game? What a deal !

Yeah, not raising the price for current subscribers I get but also giving them one extra game is kinda weird. I can only imagine it's to give people another incentive to stay subscribed, sort of like "You can come back later for a higher price but you'll never get that one extra game back"

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm subbed cuz the games resell for more than I paid. I'm wondering now, if at *any point* in the future I unsubscribe, will I lose access to Humble Monthly Classic forever?

Yeah, not raising the price for current subscribers I get but also giving them one extra game is kinda weird. I can only imagine it's to give people another incentive to keep subscribed, sort of like "You can come back later for a higher price but you'll never get that one extra game back"

Yeah, it's hostage marketing. I imagine with all I would save by not staying subscribed continuously that I can easily buy all those extra games - well the ones I even have any interest in - during sales at a later time and still save. This sort of thing is a kind of consumer bullying imo, and I don't like companies who treat me and my dollars that way. They can market things however they like, but I'm not going to be pressured into giving them my money.

Reon

I'm subbed cuz the games resell for more than I paid. I'm wondering now, if at *any point* in the future I unsubscribe, will I lose access to Humble Monthly Classic forever?
From what they describe this is the case, you will retain it if you pause for a month but that requires that you pause it every single month manually if you choose not to want the offerings that month. If you forget it'll charge you. Cancelling means forfeiting your bonus for good and if you'd like to get Humble again, you'll need to resub at the $20 rate.

Last edited:

CuNi

Only subbed this month for Spyro, Crash and CoD.
I think they should lower the Basic to the Classic price, because this just looks like a dick move to try to blackmail people into subbing forever.
Also I would feel robbed and tricked if I would have to pay 20$ and NOT get all 10 games each month, yet people that pay 12$ get them. That sounds really unjust.

Glad they barely have any interesting games for me and I can gladly skip out on them 99% of the time. Now I feel even better knowing they rise the price while trying to cash grab as much money as possible

I don’t plan on unsubbing anytime. I may sub my wife’s account again just in case there are some coop games that we are interested in.

I would like to see how it goes the first month and then if it’s crap games i may drop the second sub.

Pejo

I sub to this, only felt truly ripped off twice out of my entire time with it. I'll stay on as long as Classic is an option, but I wouldn't pay 20 for it. Especially with the chance of dupe games or games you have no interest in.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
From what they describe this is the case, you will retain it if you pause for a month but that requires that you pause it every single month manually if you choose not to want the offerings that month. If you forget it'll charge you. Cancelling means forfeiting your bonus for good and if you'd like to get Humble again, you'll need to resub at the $20 rate.
Luckily I've been fine just pausing, but damn, if I ever cancel, no way am I opting back in for anything but the $5 tier.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well shit i was gonna unsubscribe just to save a few bucks...but basically what they're saying is that humble choice members get less games for the same money?

This may sound like a rambling of an insane person but ever since IGN bought them, I have bought almost no games through the humble bundles because they've been very underwhelming, suspiciously bad. Before this, I would always get excited when a new humble would show up. Also what a fucked up shitty IGN way of dealing with ppl who only sub once in a while for certain games. Scummy as shit.

Last edited:

Reon

Well shit i was gonna unsubscribe just to save a few bucks...but basically what they're saying is that humble choice members get less games for the same money?
Exactly, they're fucking this all up lol. Get less games for more money? I mean, if the quality of the offerings stays the same then I will definitely not be subbing again.

This may sound like a rambling of an insane person but ever since IGN bought them, I have bought almost no games through the humble bundles because they've been very underwhelming, suspiciously bad. Before this, I would always get excited when a new humble would show up. Also what a fucked up shitty IGN way of dealing with ppl who only sub once in a while for certain games. Scummy as shit.

I feel the exact same way, I used to get almost every Humble Bundle that was announced. They were great for a while, really bolstered my library and got me to try games I never would have experienced. But IGN's buyout of them really messed it up. Now the majority of the bundles are shitty PDF scans of books and RPG maker games.

Last edited:

On the flip side they didn’t HAVE to keep current subs at 12 while giving them a bonus. They could have just raised the price like so many other services do.

Glass is half full type of thing to me.

Helios

On the flip side they didn’t HAVE to keep current subs at 12 while giving them a bonus. They could have just raised the price like so many other services do.
They had to otherwise the backlash would've been huge. Besides, it's also a way too keep you hooked in, which is probably more important than the extra dollars.

Reactions: 888

jono51

Banned
So could I just sub up now, get locked in ~ 12/mo, BUT just continually pause my sub and only unpause for the good months and take the full set of games?
Or will pausing be removed/changed with this also?

plushyp

With a price increase in the future this is not really a good deal anymore. Ign killed Humble Bundle.
Yeah, I haven't purchased a single bundle since the acquisition. It was clear that all the good titles went in the monthly and the site layout further pushed the bundles into the corner.

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised it lasted this long, they were giving away some crazy good games. It was probably especially problematic for them to deal with people who unsubbed for weaker months and resubbed for better months. Now there's an incentive to become a steady subscriber to get the "better deal".

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm surprised it lasted this long, they were giving away some crazy good games. It was probably especially problematic for them to deal with people who unsubbed for weaker months and resubbed for better months. Now there's an incentive to become a steady subscriber to get the "better deal".
Really depends. 12 usd each month for 3 months to get a good deal VS 20 usd for one month you really want. Still saved you 16 usd

Kazza

I'm glad I jumped on just before the price hike (for that excellent Crash/Spiro/CoD deal). I was going to cancel, but I think I'll stay on for at least another month, as it seems likely to me that they will make next month a great one to justify the rise in price.

EctoPrime

Who exactly is the target audience for the trove games monthly plan? Subscribe and get 3 drm free games added a month for $5 with access to a collection of 50+. Total cost each year at minimum $45. You could pay $5 once a year, download everything, cancel and it would be a far better deal for you with possibly 36 games added since the first payment.

Its not like Humble are offering games that would entice you to subscribe to the trove when the recently added Broken Sword series is a highlight.

Last edited:
Who exactly is the target audience for the trove games monthly plan? Subscribe and get 3 drm free games added a month for $5 with access to a collection of 50+. Total cost each year at minimum $45. You could pay $5 once a year, download everything, cancel and it would be a far better deal for you with possibly 36 games added since the first payment.

Its not like Humble are offering games that would entice you to subscribe to the trove when the recently added Broken Sword series is a highlight.
Hopefully they are planning to improve the desireability of the Trove games.

Stitch

Gold Member
How do I make sure I get the Classic plan?
If you want to get the Classic plan you will need to ensure that you are currently an active subscriber of Humble Monthly prior to the launch of Humble Choice. If your subscription is paused when Humble Choice has launched you will still be converted over to the Classic plan.

What if I am currently on a multi-month plan?
If you are currently a multi-month subscriber (3-month, 6-month, or 12-month plan) you will automatically get a multi-month Classic plan that matches your current choice. This means no action will need to be taken on your end to keep your multi-month plan, while also having access to the new plan! Once your multi-month plan renews, it will continue to be on the Classic plan as long as you do not cancel in between renewals.

Can I change my plan prior to the launch of Humble Choice?
If you are already a subscriber you can update your subscription to whatever plan works best for you! You are able to make this change at any point before Humble Choice launches

How do I lose access to the Classic plan?
You will lose access to your Classic plan and benefits if you choose to cancel your subscription at any point after or prior to the release of Humble Choice. Pausing your subscription is fine, and you will not cause you to lose access to Classic for doing so.

How do I regain access to the Classic plan once it is lost?
Unfortunately, there is no going back to a Classic plan once Humble Choice has launched. If you choose to unsubscribe you will receive a prompt informing you that your Classic plan will not be available going forward if you decide to resubscribe. You will lose your Classic status, and upon resubscribing will have to choose between the Lite, Basic, and Premium plans.

You are definitly not insane. I noticed major drop in quality of bundles too and barely bough anything since IGN took over.

SweetShark

I am already a subscriber for so long so I don't have plans to cancel any time soon.
However I am wondering what kind of games will get.
Like, good recent games like Spyro? If yes then I will be very pleased.

Katsura

Well it was nice while it lasted.

I unsubbed when there were shitty games, and looks like many other did as well.

With a price increase in the future this is not really a good deal anymore. Ign killed Humble Bundle.
Facts. I recently unsubbed after realizing all the games were either not for me or games i already owned. So i ended up giving those keys away. The Trove is complete shit. Utomik has a far superior version that's also cheaper if that's your thing. So i was left with the discount, which is nice, but honestly between all sites you can buy Steam games now it was a chore having to go through their store. I also found it's search features lacking

azz0r

Banned
I remember when it was one game for free or a few quid, then it was like a giant catalogue of cheap indie games with the odd sprinkle of poorly performing studio titles, now this...eh no thanks

It was easily worth the $12 for the first month of "Choice". I'll keep it for a while and pause if there are any bad months for me. If things go downhill over time, I might cancel and just buy when I really like a month.

Holammer

Kinda like the Basic 3 choice option, I'll just snag Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Aegis Defenders & Blasphemous.
Think of it as buying SotTR at 75% off with 2 bonus games.

Top Bottom