• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted |OT| Never Make an Agent the Enemy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case anyone was wondering what all of Adam Rayner's lines sound like when strung together, this be them (minor spoilers for episode 2). Not as shit as I expected, but I guess when you remove the context created by the other (fairly decent) actors, the bar is automatically lowered.

http://youtu.be/MFwK_lrRfrA

LMAO, it makes him sound insane like he's talking and responding to himself.

And yea...this is pretty bad IMO.

Munin

I don't know what's this obsession about Raynor being a terrible actor, I would never have guessed myself. He's not outstanding but dunno, I don't notice anything horrible.

Ducarmel

is this show good?

I didn;t know it was already on. I saw the trailer and it looked really good.

Its good they are in the middle of reveling the masterminds pulling all the strings.

ep5/6 spoiler
It's kind of confusing its like there is 2 bad guys Turner and Hourglass, and Sam is in the middle of it not knowing who to trust.

Looks like they are implying the client is Hourglass itself and Ballard knew something big was happening so he was killed after they found out Aiden is the MI6 mole.

If this is the case it might be cheaper for Hourglass to recruit Turner as a member or asset, now they got the mole and just eliminate/pay off Deacons team.

But previews looks like Sam is special in some way and needs to be eliminated by Hourglass, willing to bet they just might use Turner to finish her off, maybe that is how the Cop found out who Sam really is.

I don't know what's this obsession about Raynor being a terrible actor, I would never have guessed myself. He's not outstanding but dunno, I don't notice anything horrible.

He's really isn't very good, but in absolute fairness, the dialogue he's given is absolutely atrocious.

Just caught up with the latest UK ep (#6). I might be missing something, but what sense does it make for...

them to frame the undercover spy for the assassination in a manner that would likely lead to him being captured alive? What would stop him from wanting to spill on all their dealings? Sure, he'd be implicating himself in crimes, but he's going down for political assassination if he keeps quiet.

Ducarmel

Just caught up with the latest UK ep (#6). I might be missing something, but what sense does it make for...

them to frame the undercover spy for the assassination in a manner that would likely lead to him being captured alive? What would stop him from wanting to spill on all their dealings? Sure, he'd be implicating himself in crimes, but he's going down for political assassination if he keeps quiet.

Turner is the one doing the assassination, not Byzantium.

Turner does not know Fowkes is a spy he thinks he is just some washed up soldier Ryder picked up from the streets, so he is a good candidate to frame somebody with a murder using a military grade sniper weapon

Turner is the one doing the assassination, not Byzantium.

Turner does not know Fowkes is a spy he thinks he is just some washed up soldier Ryder picked up from the streets, so he is a good candidate to frame somebody with a murder using a military grade sniper weapon

Yeah, I know all that, but my question is why are they so sure he wouldn't talk? He's an eye witness to Turner's involvement in all this don't forget. Going by their methods so far, they should have planned for him to get framed and killed.

Ducarmel

Yeah, I know all that, but my question is why are they so sure he wouldn't talk? He's an eye witness to Turner's involvement in all this don't forget. Going by their methods so far, they should have planned for him to get framed and killed.

He never really ever talked to Turner over anything specific or ever got any instructions from Turner directly, he technically only see Tyrone committing crimes and has no evidence Turner told Tyrone to do anything. Fowkes may know a lot but Turner does not know this.

Remember Ms. Zahir was the target even if Fowkes talked they probably dismiss it and probably think he did it because he hates/blames Muslims (he did serve in anti terrorism and was dishonorably discharged) and killing a high profile progressive Muslim leader would fall in line with that narrative. Turner does have a cop on the payroll so the cop will most likely make sure to dismiss any connection to Turner.

OMG @ the ending of episode 4! Ugh, I hate seeing that guy stab people in the eye with the needle!

why didnt she put up more of a fight? i dont get it

ive caught up on the cinemax episodes and nothing has been as good as the pilot episode.. im really sick of that house in particular

this show is so dumb, like it's a premium cable version of alias (which ive never really seen), but i guess its entertaining enough to some degree to keep watching, or maybe i just have a crush on melissa george

midonnay

The Shadow line is great......but I laugh everytime I think about the "conspiracy". It became abit cartoonish in the end. The opening theme song was fucking amazing.

Strikeback is a pretty good action oriented drama....along with Spooks.

Clevinger

I keep hoping Aiden is going to die.

Yes! He's right by a gas leak! Oh... He doesn't even have a scratch, and he walks out of the hospital like it's nothing.

Yes! He's trying to break out of a spy agency! Oh... Nobody can catch him or bothers to shoot him. Wait! He's going to jump out the window! Oh... It was only one floor up...

And on the other hand, I hope Foakes or whatever his name is doesn't die. I like him and his actor.

And is there any indication of who the eye needle guy is working for?

- Cinemax Eyes New Incarnation Of ‘Hunted’ With Frank Spotnitz And Melissa George
Deadline.com said:
The BBC-Cinemax series Hunted won’t go beyond its current freshman season after BBC One opted not to renew the espionage drama for a second season. But Cinemax is working with series creator Frank Spotnitz on a new incarnation of the show about spy Sam Hunter (Melissa George). “We are making plans with creator and executive producer Frank Spotnitz and star Melissa George to present a new chapter in the Sam Hunter mythology,” Kary Antholis, President, HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming, said in a statement to Deadline. “We are very pleased with what Hunted has done for Cinemax’s brand and are very excited about what lies ahead.”

Because of the project’s setup – BBC originally commissioned eight episodes from Shined-owned British production company Kudos Film and Television before Cinemax came on board as producer/ US distributor — I hear continuing the series in its current form proved impossible without partner BBC. That has led to Cinemax brass looking for another way to keep the premise and the Sam Hunter character alive while also assuming greater creative control. In a complex co-production agreement like the one on Hunted, it is hard for each of the partners to realize their vision for the show as decisions are often made by compromise. Additionally, for a pay cable network, doing a series with a public broadcaster like the BBC imposes certain restrictions on the content that could be featured.

Hunted earned some of the best reviews for a Cinemax show. Ratings-wise it’s done OK, pulling in 250,000 viewers for its premiere last month. While that was below the Season 1 and Season 2 openers of Cinemax’s Strike Back (567,000 and 390,000, respectively), I hear Hunted is a major on-demand draw for the network. So far, the first two episodes have averaged a total of 1.7 million viewers each. Last Friday’s Episode 4 was up 6% from the previous week.

As for BBC’s decision to drop Hunted after Season 1, network sources point to the series’ ratings declines from 4.5 million viewers for the series premiere to 2.6 million for the most recent sixth episode, noting that the series hasn’t been able to find “mainstream audience.” But, like in the US, Hunted is doing well in time-shifted viewing, adding some 40% to its Live ratings via DVR and on demand. I also hear the decision may be part of a larger shift in the types of shows the public broadcaster plans to focus on. It comes at a time of turmoil at the BBC, which has been at the center of several scandals that led to the resignation of the new director general, George Entwistle, after 54 days on the job.

At TCA this summer, X Files alum Spotnitz noted that that he was already working on scripts for a second season and fully expected the show to be renewed. George stars in the series as an operative for an elite private intelligence firm who survives an attempt on her life that may have been orchestrated by members of her own team.
I hope they keep it going in some form. I'm only four episodes in, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

- Sepinwall on this morning's news:
From what I'm hearing, Cinemax executives are frustrated with the BBC for announcing this decision before the American run is over, but also relieved to be finished with a collaboration that they found creatively stifling much of the time.

I've seen the full season of "Hunted," and without going into too much detail, some of the stories get complete closure, while others were left as danglers to be continued in additional seasons. It's unclear which of those might be allowed to continue in this new Cinemax-only version, which may be frustrating to people who watched this season. On the other hand, the strongest part of the show is Melissa George herself and the character Spotnitz created for her, and a clean break from a fairly complicated storyline in favor of something focused even more heavily on that character — particularly if the people at Cinemax are right that their partners across the pond were holding them back — might not be such a bad thing.
More via the link.

TripOpt55

I've been really enjoying the show so far. I hope they do get to make some sort of new series/season with Sam in it or whatever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very interesting developments. So Cinemax can't make Hunted season 2, but they can continue using the Sam Hunter (I still can't believe that's really her name, lol) character in a brand new series? Sounds good. I hope they keep the paranoid conspiracy angle, and also the same cinematographer.

Clevinger

Very interesting developments. So Cinemax can't make Hunted season 2, but they can continue using the Sam Hunter (I still can't believe that's really her name, lol) character in a brand new series? Sounds good. I hope they keep the paranoid conspiracy angle, and also the same cinematographer.

I don't think it is. She was orphaned and kidnapped as a child, right? She probably just made it up.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm surprised BBC haven't renewed it. I haven't been following the numbers that greatly but I don't believe it competes with anything heavyweight. Must've been particularly disappointing figures.

Ricker

The audience had halved after a few weeks or so.

Maybe people don't like the green/grey/hardly any color look of the show...I got use to it and it adds a great atmosphere I think but who knows....enjoying this show a lot,I hope she beats the crap out of that seringue guy...

Munin

I hope Cinemax can take over the production crew and not only George's character because this show, while flawed in terms of writing, is just damn well made.

Though I fear it will overly americanize the show if Cinemax has full control, I like the British setting and stuff.

The Cinemax / BBC split is a strange situation. It'd be great if Cinemax could/would just continue the show into S2, but it sounds like there might be some restrictions on how they use the material and characters. I'm digging a lot of the Britishness (for lack of a better term) of how the show is shot, the color palette, and the casting decisions (Stephen Dillane and Patrick Malahide in particular), and I hope Cinemax can keep some of that aesthetic if they decide to move forward with some form of a second season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So why did Aiden tell MI6 about Sam's location in Tangiers? And why did they want to know? I'm not certain if it was properly explained, but Episode 5 was very dense so I might have missed some things.

Anyway, I liked the twist that the creepy needle stabbie guy is trying to help Sam out - not trying to kill her. At the end he reminded me of a creepier Richard Harrow, toting that sniper rifle around.

And the fight scene in the abandoned building was just brutal. Wow.

Episode five was rad, though the guy dying right after revealing the hourglass conspiracy was a little weak. What's up with Sam being kidnapped and taken to an hourglass facility when she was a kid?
Anyway, I liked the twist that the creepy needle stabbie guy is trying to help Sam out - not trying to kill her. At the end he reminded me of a creepier Richard Harrow, toting that sniper rifle around.
I didn't see that coming. His demeanor is really creepy.
And the fight scene in the abandoned building was just brutal. Wow.
Lots of knives and the chain strangulation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's up with Sam being kidnapped and taken to an hourglass facility when she was a kid?

Maybe she was programmed to be an assassin when she was a child? Maybe it's like in Salt and she's a double agent who is deep undercover and she doesn't realize it yet.

Lots of knives and the chain strangulation.

Yeah. LOTS of blood spurting too.

Maybe she was programmed to be an assassin when she was a child? Maybe it's like in Salt and she's a double agent who is deep undercover and she doesn't realize it yet.
Ah, I can see something like that. There are a few people pushing the theory that she's special for some reason and in a position to take on hourglass.

So the UK folks are finished with the season, eh? We still have three more episodes here on Cinemax.

TripOpt55

Just finished Episode 5. That fight scene in the silo thing was awesome! I must admit, I was having a bit of trouble following everything that was going on in this episode, but I watched it in a couple of sittings since I was really tired the first time I tried.

Just watched the concluding episode... Yeah I didn't enjoy this show at all. So many parts made me "dafuq?" and seemed immensely illogical.

New episode tonight on Cinemax:
Polyhedrus

While Sam and Stephen grow closer, the Byzantium team is perplexed by Jack Turner's connection to Fatima Zahir (Meera Syal), a Pakistani presidential candidate. As Byzantium races against time, it seems inevitable that Jack will be successful. Meanwhile Sam's investigations into Hourglass lead her to connect someone from her previous mission with the Pakistani dam--helping her realize who their client is.

Watched the last episode. Unfortunately they left quite a few things hanging, probably for a second season. I enjoyed the show but the payoff at the end just wasn't there, sadly. No one's fault but it's still disappointing. Melissa George was pretty fantastic though and I do hope they can get the series up and running again at Cinemax.

Ducarmel

I hope Cinemax can deliver on the second season. That ending was not that good at all, the pay off was a let down and if think about it the
real bad guys in all of this won, Turner got what was coming to him and deserves it, but Polyhedrus walking away scot-free out of this mess and only a teaser of info on hourglass

Munin

Overall I enjoyed this a great deal, despite the obvious flaws. Wasn't as bummed out by the ending as I expected to be, the Hourglass stuff never seemed all that interesting and I actually really liked that
the bad guys won...well, the even worse ones, at least

I don't think there's been an espionage series before that matches Hunted's somber and nihilistic tone, and I really hope Cinemax manages to keep it going.

New episode tonight on Cinemax:
Khyber

Determined to delve further into Hourglass, Sam makes a startling revelation relating to her past. However, her investigations trigger the interest of Byzantium's client. When Aidan instructs Natalie (Indira Varma) to uncover the leak in MI6, her shocking discovery exposes her to dangers on all sides. Byzantium discovers potentially devastating evidence regarding the dam, which Jack Turner plans to use to secure the bid.

- Sneak peek clip

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So her real last name is Morton - not Hunter. It was a fake name after all. Thank goodness, haha.

I don't think it is. She was orphaned and kidnapped as a child, right? She probably just made it up.

You were right!

Wow, there was a lot to digest in "Khyber". There are so many storylines going on at once, that I'm finding it hard to keep track of them all.

Why did she drink the tea at the end? It should have been obvious to her that it had been drugged. Unless she sipped some in her mouth and then slyly spit it back into the cup. haha I guess we'll see what happens next week.

Season finale tonight in the US:
Episode 8: Snow Maiden
I haven't seen a logline that doesn't lay out the plot of the entire episode, so I'm going to forgo posting one today. Enjoy the finale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm definitely pumped for the finale. Can't wait to see how everything gets wrapped up.

Also, Adam Rayner Lands Lead In ‘The Saint’ Remake

British actor Adam Rayner has been cast in the title role made famous by Roger Moore in the original series. The remake, produced by Brad Krevoy, is not set at a network yet. Written/executive produced by Jesse Alexander (Heroes), it is slated to begin shooting a pilot later this month.

Hopefully this doesn't interfere with the his involvement in the new iteration of the show. (assuming he survives the finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom