• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Husband travels 160 miles to kill man having an affair with his Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Probably been said, but I don't really understand why the "drives 160 miles" is such a focus. 160 miles isn't that far.

Maybe the woman cheated because her husband is a crazy, fucked up loon incapable of providing the emotional support she needed.

I don't condone cheating. But in context of the husband murdering someone it's pretty irrelevant.

People making the argument that her cheating drove him to kill dude is like the argument abusive spouses make when they get violent: "See what you made me do?!?!"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Both the husband and wife are to blame. If the wife wanted other dick, she should have divorced the husband, I mean knowing that someone you love is cheating on you is definitely going to do a number to your head. And there's never any excuse to murder someone outside of maybe self defense, the husband should go to jail for life.

The real victim, the guy who lost his life, isn't to blame at all. He might not have known she was married, and even if he did, that just makes him morally wrong and nothing else.

This is a pretty general case of a crime of passion.

To all the people saying it's the wife's fault/hope she learned her lesson/doesn't feel bad for her..etc:

Do you think cheating on your legal spouse should be illegal?

...cause I'm pretty sure it isn't and murder is.

Adultery is illegal in many states(Texas isn't one of them however)

Dune1975

Banned
disagree, seems cold and calculated as indicated by the 160 mile trip. it's hard (not impossible) so stay in a murdering rage all the time during that

That guy in the army who went nuts stayed in one for a few days, then snuck offbase which is hard in itself, and then butchered a village. There really is no way to legitimately quantify how long is too long before a fit of passion should end since its all based on individual elements that are specific to each person.

The killer is a nutjob, but I don't get why people have affairs. I mean, if you feel the need to do that, you're obviously unhappy with the other person, so why not just walk away? I figure that some people are going to be like "But there's the kids," or whatever, but it still strikes me as selfish behaviour: "I want to be intimate with someone else but I'm not willing to take the scary steps by terminating the familiar."

pants

That guy in the army who went nuts stayed in one for a few days, then snuck offbase which is hard in itself, and then butchered a village. There really is no way to legitimately quantify how long is too long before a fit of passion should end since its all based on individual elements that are specific to each person.

Yeah but that's not the norm, seething rage is something that in my experience is a short lived emotion. Things can set off you off again thereafter but it's never quite as much of a mind debilitating, blinding rage.

I think that he carried the murderous intent for that long means maybe something snapped/went wrong mentally, especially since he's tying people up, duct taping them then driving so far to kill a dude. He had plenty of time to realize what the fuck he was doing but didn't/couldn't.

Again not saying it's impossible, but it has to be considered pretty unlikely. Would have been a different story if he came home, caught them in bed together, grabbed the closest object and bludgeoned them. Assuming he's a normal dude I can understand that kind of lost in passion murder as the person in most cases immediately regrets what happened in that moment of rage. It's also the kind of thing I wish I knew more about, is it instinctual? chemical secretion? What makes people lose all reason in that blind rage moment?

Red

The killer is a nutjob, but I don't get why people have affairs. I mean, if you feel the need to do that, you're obviously unhappy with the other person, so why not just walk away? I figure that some people are going to be like "But there's the kids," or whatever, but it still strikes me as selfish behaviour: "I want to be intimate with someone else but I'm not willing to take the scary steps by terminating the familiar."

Maybe (and I am only speculating) he had a bit of a temper.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
disagree, seems cold and calculated as indicated by the 160 mile trip. it's hard (not impossible) so stay in a murdering rage all the time during that

I disagree, 160 miles is not that far, you just hop in your car and start driving without really thinking. Different people handle anger differently. Some people calm down after a few minutes, some people don't calm down for over a week.

If he bought a plane ticket and travelled half way around the world to kill his wife's lover, then I would be more inclined to agree with you.

pants

I had sex with a married woman, once.

iblIywYDplIf8i.gif

IrishNinja

All three of them deserve their fate. Don't sleep with married women. Don't cheat on your spouse. Don't fucking murder people.

House-breaker is dead.
Murderer is in jail.
Cheating wife is, hopefully, devastated.

sorry to single you out, but this thread is pretty goddamn embarrassing with moral equivalences & victim-blaming, geez

while we can't comfortably label a man who ties up his wife and murders her lover as a psychopath, I think we can all safely agree that she shares some blame.

haha fucking this, seriously

I had sex with a married woman, once.

if someone killed you for it, the disgusting element of this thread would be okay with that, apparently because YOU DONT RUB ANOTHER MANS RUBARB etc

Maybe the woman cheated because her husband is a crazy, fucked up loon incapable of providing the emotional support she needed.

So, she should have just filed for divorce. Everything would have been easier, she would have been able to see the man she really loves openly and without fear. Not defending the murder, of course, before anybody says anything.

I don't understand this jealousy that some people have.

Yes, it's sad if you value monogamy, that your significant other "cheats" on you.
But if it was consensual, then he's not a rapist and he's not a particularly bad person, in my opinion.

Honest, if I were to be in a relationship, I would rather someone I love occasional have sex with other people than to stop loving me and enjoying sexuality with me. Some people like variety, I could understand if a partner of mine had sexual feelings for someone outside of me. I can completely empathize with that feeling. And would still want to have a relationship with someone who felt that way.

Love is more important than one sex act.

Macmanus

Probably been said, but I don't really understand why the "drives 160 miles" is such a focus. 160 miles isn't that far.

I refuse to go further than 100 for my murdurin'.

So, she should have just filed for divorce. Everything would have been easier, she would have been able to see the man she really loves openly and without fear. Not defending the murder, of course, before anybody says anything.

Man. This comment shows such an outstanding lack of empathy and complete removal from reality it's almost impressive. The amount of victim blaming in this thread is just insane.

Tagyhag

Why not kill her? She was the one that cheated, and was married to him.

While I'm sure he was seething with rage, he probably still had a bit of love for her so he didn't do it. Of course this isn't the case for all events like this.

All in all, all parties were guilty of something, and it's a shame it had to end like this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That distance...doesn't really seem impressive. I mean, if you're already dead set on killing someone, I wouldn't think distance (especially a mere 110 miles) would be much of an obstacle.

Macmanus

Honest, if I were to be in a relationship, I would rather someone I love occasional have sex with other people than to stop loving me and enjoying sexuality with me. Some people like variety, I could understand if a partner of mine had sexual feelings for someone outside of me. I can completely empathize with that feeling. And would still want to have a relationship with someone who felt that way.

Your pragmatism is taboo.

Jarmel

Banned
So he shot a total stranger who owed him nothing but the wife whose loyalty he could reasonably expect, and who betrayed him, is unharmed?

The logic of that always escaped me.

Fair point. I guess it has to do with the person still loving their wife/husband but still need to vent and so take it out on the other party.

Tagyhag

Yes, it's sad if you value monogamy, that your significant other "cheats" on you.
But if it was consensual, then he's not a rapist and he's not a particularly bad person, in my opinion.

If you loved someone, you wouldn't cheat on them, period.

Nothing wrong with open-relationships if that's what you're into, but if you truly cared for the other person you'd let them know that you want to see other people before going behind their backs.

Some people just want to have their cake, and eat it too.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Or don't any of the above. There's guilt to go around.

The dead man was innocent! You expect a man to say no when a woman come call in?! That would be a man's shame. Now if the dead man was married then I can see where he went wrong.

Its no different than the moral delima of a father screwing his own son; social moral contract implies its only okay for men outside of a family unit to sleep with either men and its only okay for none related couples in a family unit to sleep with each other. Dead guy was squicky clean here.

Sean*O

Not sure how this thread is shaping up but page 1 was pretty ugly. Guys & Gals: Marrying someone does NOT, I repeat.. NOT grant you ownership of that person. They are just as free to do what they want as ever. Marriage is a commitment not a prison sentence for the other party.

The woman felt compelled to cheat for whatever reason, it's her life to live. This psycho who felt so wounded in his pride that he decided he was going to kill another man for touching 'his property' -she was not forced to seek out the arms of another, she did so willingly.. the murderer should get the fast track to the electric chair and anyone else of the same mindset should take heed.

If your signifigant other is looking elsewhere for thrills then it's their issue and their choice. Get over it and move on and be a better person next time, if you can.

ChrisRT

Not sure how this thread is shaping up but page 1 was pretty ugly. Guys & Gals: Marrying someone does NOT, I repeat.. NOT grant you ownership of that person. They are just as free to do what they want as ever. Marriage is a commitment not a prison sentence for the other party.

The woman felt compelled to cheat for whatever reason, it's her life to live. This psycho who felt so wounded in his pride that he decided he was going to kill another man for touching 'his property' -she was not forced to seek out the arms of another, she did so willingly.. the murderer should get the fast track to the electric chair and anyone else of the same mindset should take heed.

If your signifigant other is looking elsewhere for thrills then it's their issue and their choice. Get over it and move on and be a better person next time, if you can.

Maybe he felt betrayed. Some people take it differently then others. Please refrain from assuming you have any idea what was going through the man's mind or anyone else's mind at that.
Hell, if you want to go that rout, one could argue that she is somewhat responsible because she should have known most of his attributes at that point after knowing him for years, and she still chose to 1. cheat on him rather that leave him, and 2. give the persons info to him after knowing what he may be capable of; though, this is all speculation.
With that said, I don't hold her responsible for his death. I do think she is absolute scum just like any one else that is supposed to be in a committed relationship and betrays that, but I'm bitter towards that. Its very wrong in my opinion. Just leave the person.

MogCakes

Let's not turn this into a monogamy vs swinging debate. Please.

DiscoJer

Sometimes (in history) the cheating has been considered worse than the killing.

There used to be something called "the unwritten law", which basically let you kill the cheaters and get away with it. "Dementia Americana" was a sort of temporary insanity.

Arment

I don't get the whole "You cheated on me! I'm gonna make the person you cheated on me with pay!"

Theoretically he loves his wife and has no love for the man who slept with her.

He hurts her by hurting him. It's also probably a pride thing and some outmoded masculinity vendetta.

Remmy2112

Judging by the husband's actions to his wife and the other guy, and the fact that he didn't calm down over a 160 mile drive I'd say that the husband had some serious anger issues. If this had not set him off something down the line would have, perhaps not to so murderous a degree, but likely to physical violence against another person. It is tragic what happened but fault lies with the husband, not with the wife who slept around.

Nether!

Some bizarre views in this thread.
A woman cheats and is now responsible for her nut-job husband offing an innocent man?
Cray Cray.

What is the list of topics that reveal some odd stances on gaf?
Dating
Tipping
Trans issues
Women's number of sexual partners
???

Elvick

Banned
Or don't any of the above. There's guilt to go around.
This.

I will never understand people who cheat. If you want to screw other people... break up/divorce. I mean, how hard is that?

*sigh*

I don't understand murderers either though...

Some bizarre views in this thread.
A woman cheats and is now responsible for her nut-job husband offing an innocent man?
Cray Cray.

What is the list of topics that reveal some odd stances on gaf?
Dating
Tipping
Trans issues
Women's number of sexual partners
???
To deny the man is dead because of something she did is silly.

Sure, it's not her fault her husband killed him. Who's to know that's how someone would react? That's an extreme reaction.

She shouldn't have been cheating. And if she hadn't, he'd be alive. Of course, he shouldn't have killed him either. And ultimately he holds the most blame in the whole thing. Just file for divorce from the bitch and move on. Don't kill people. Lunatic.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Has anyone brought up the eerie similarity of this story to one from a few years back where a female astronaut candidate put on adult diapers to drive cross-country without stopping with the intent to kill the wife of her lover?

It's almost as though being a public servant of some sort grants you the ability to go the distance when murder is involved. Weird :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom