• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydroplaning? I almost crashed my car today on hwy 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Sounds like you were driving way too fast for a weather like that. Remember to slow down in crazy rain like that...

I was driving maybe 20 mph when it happened to me. Didn't matter, my car went to the ditch liked pulled by a fracking magnet.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have learned a lot.

Drive below 35 mph if pouring.

In case of hydroplane:
  • Don't try to correct. Maintain the desired direction or steer towards the sliding direction.
  • NEVER BRAKE.
I will have my tires checked, probably replaced.

THE 101.

Also I still think it was really miraculous I didn't hit anyone, or anything even. There were quite a few cars around us going at the same speed (~50 mph) and I was shifting among three lanes. I didn't remember how we avoided each other but god damn I actually made it out unscathed.

Drive safe everyone. Seriously.

Korey

This has to be the most dangerous and near-death-experience I have had in my life. I am still shook thinking about it.

TL;DR: Lost control on highway for about 2-3 seconds under heavy rain. Almost hit the shoulder and fortunately no one or car got hurt. Was it because hydroplaning?

This morning I was driving on 101 near LA. And it was literally pouring from the sky. I could barely see the car in front of me even with the wiper at full-speed. Not to mention the splashes coming under every vehicle, even from the other side of the highway.

I think the OP is some sort of fraud. He's pretending to be from LA but is actually posting from his farm in Ohio.

Noobcraft

Hydroplaning can be pretty startling. Don't brake at all, and try to correct gently to avoid losing it.
d9Awer9.gif

yami4ct

Hydroplaning is scary as shit. Most of the time, the puddle will be small enough and you'll be fine, but sometimes you're unlucky.

Just had this happen to me on my way home from picking my sister up from the airport. Was already going well below highway speed because the rain was so bad, but ended up hitting a giant puddle that I had no hope of seeing in the dark. That combined with our tires being probably too old basically meant we instantly spun out, got thrown into the ditch and hit the back end into a tree.

Nobody was hurt and we had insurance to help take care of the damage, but the moral of the story is check your tires and take hydroplaning seriously. I'm just lucky I was already going slow and it was late so nobody was around to get hit so nobody got hurt.

So, yeah, OP. Totally get how you feel. Hydroplaning was an issue was aware of and thought I knew how to deal with, but even things you think you're prepared for can come out and bite you.

Yeah hydroplaning is scary shit. It was a cause of lots of accidents when I lived in Destin, FL.

It's basically a resort town with only one really long and poorly built highway running along the coast. The town always gets flooded by tourists during vacation season and over the years the combination of gridlock traffic, poor roads, and Florida heat basically created small sunken crevaces where every tire touched the road.
The damn things would fill up like puddles in heavy rain and it was dangerous as hell.

I had 3 really close calls myself. I drove a mid-engine car that was slightly back heavy and often had bald tires (poor HD student) so driving in the rain there was always stressful.

California has terrifying wet streets. It's not bad up here in Washington, the regularity of the rain keeps the streets free of oil. In Cali, though, it just sits there, layering up every day with nothing to remove it - Until a sudden deluge makes the asphalt slick as ice.

Got

Banned
Anyone else triggered by the lack of "the" before the 101? Damn I'm weird

Edit
Of course it's been covered

Brakke

Banned
The first freeways in the area had, and still have, proper names. So there's the Golden State Freeway, San Diego Freeway, Ventura Freeway, Hollywood Freeway, etc. Keeping the 'the' when talking about the freeways just kinda stuck.

But then weirdly, nobody says "The PCH", it's just "PCH".

Laekon

They're teaching wrong

countersteer-1.jpg

Get your front wheels pointed in the direction you want to go
Actually my bad. That diagram was what I was taught, the description is different though. It's steering in the same direction that the rear end of your car is going.

Arkam

Also I just realized you said hwy 101. It's the 101 Op

LOL I noticed that too. And this just sounds like a typical Socal Driver.... "OMG the sky is falling in little wet pieces!!!!" Traffic today was Ballz due to so many folks not knowing how to drive in a little rain.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My car always has a weird slide thing going from the 5 to the 101. There's something about that freeway that's like uneven or something.

I've had a really scary hydroplane incedent before. I was just turning left on a big road, and all of a suden my car lost control.

It did a complete turn and I ended up facing the opposite side of the road as I slammed my wheels parallel to the sidewalk.

10 feet away was a public bus facing me . . . shit was scary.

Drawing for GAF:

clav

Glad you're OK.

At least you're not driving in freezing temperatures.

Slow down when the weather is tough.

Turn on your lights when clouds cover the sun.

Avoid slamming brakes.

Avoid fast acceleration.

Is that a socal thing or something? I've never heard anyone call it that

You can say California thing. People who live in other states usually give looks when they hear "the" in front of interstates.

DBT85

This is why I change at 3mm rather than the mandatory 1.6mm that the law says in the UK.

A new (decent, why do people buy cheap tyres?) tyre costs me the same as a tank of fuel, and I use 2 tanks a month.

Tyres are important.

When I moved to CA, I saw some dudes in a Civic do a 720 on an off-ramp in front of me. I had no idea how this was even possible until I started noticing some of the tires people run with around here. Seriously, that last $100 of tire life, or whatever you're saving is not worth it at all. If your rubber is questionable in August, get new tires.

At said, there are also some legit deep water on the roads this year. This January is one of the wettest months on record for CA, so you can bet that some of roads have exceeded their drainage capacity. Be really really careful if you can't see the bottom of a puddle.

I think the OP is some sort of fraud. He's pretending to be from LA but is actually posting from his farm in Ohio.

I kept reading what you bolded in the quote, and I didn't understand what was wrong with it. I was like yea the 101, what are you trying to say?

It took me a minute until I realize I was subconsciously saying the the in front of it and didn't notice he didn't put it in there..

Dazza

Yeah I've aquaplaned my car too OP, super scary. If you smoothly turn or change lanes more slowly you're less likely to aquaplane. There are also tires you can get that resist aquaplaning they have far deeper grooves and wicking lines, generally are more expensive and wear out quicker though.

Last thing that helped me was taking an advanced driving course where they put you in situations where you have sudden loss of traction and learn to maintain control, they're a lot of fun because you're essentially learning how to drift.

Baliis

You can say California thing. People who live in other states usually give looks when they hear "the" in front of interstates.

I've lived in California pretty much my whole life and never heard anyone put "the" in front of a highway number. I did get laughed at when I went to NY for college though when I said "hella" though.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah I've aquaplaned my car too OP, super scary. If you smoothly turn or change lanes more slowly you're less likely to aquaplane. There are also tires you can get that resist aquaplaning they have far deeper grooves and wicking lines, generally are more expensive and wear out quicker though.

Last thing that helped me was taking an advanced driving course where they put you in situations where you have sudden loss of traction and learn to maintain control, they're a lot of fun because you're essentially learning how to drift.

Seriously, those courses are awesome.

I've almost died because of this. When it's that stormy do yourself a favor and stay in the right most lanes and drive under the speed limit.

The speed limit is the set limit for good road conditions, not bad.

Typical L.A. scenario when it pours. The oil slick on the road suddenly lifts off the pavement and causes the roads to be slick. It's not exactly hydroplaning, but oil-skidding.

Susurrus

In case of hydroplane:
  • Don't try to correct. Maintain the desired direction or steer towards the sliding direction.
  • NEVER BRAKE.
I will have my tires checked, probably replaced.

This is pretty much the case. I grew up in the Dallas area where torrential downpours are fairly common for parts of the year and stupidly hydroplaned for "fun" for the couple years I lived there before leaving. But ya, don't brake, and keep your wheels pointed the direction you're trying to go.

In rain, snow or ice any vehicle traveling 35mph or over has a good chance of hydroplaning. Also never use cruise control in anything less than perfect road conditions.

I drove up to San Jose from Los Angeles on Friday, in the midst of the heaviest rainfall. Hydroplaned a few times, but I was able to handle it, luckily. Great advice in this thread!

They're teaching wrong

countersteer-1.jpg

I've hydroplaned before. Car basically did the same as in the diagram. I let off the gas and did as in this picture and it all turned out fine. My tires caught the road again and I went on my way.

Nobody had taught me how to deal with it but it just seemed like the right thing to do. I figured slamming the breaks would just make things worse.

Waaghals

How old are your tires?

Are they summer or all seasons?

The first one is especially important. Sure, tires wear out, but they also have a "best before" date.

Xelios092

Yeah that's terrifying. I've seen it happen to plenty of cars in front of me before, glad you're okay. All good advice in this thread so far. But I agree, good tires can prevent most of these situations from happening, and can help alleviate these situations should you start slipping. Stay on top of those. As someone who drives a rear wheel drive car year round, you would not believe how much a bit of caution, some throttle control, and good tires can make a difference. If you want some quality tires, I recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (or DWS 06). Great tires for rain and snow. I know it doesn't snow much in SoCal but that's just in case someone else reads it. I've had these on my G35 and I love them. I've never had loss of traction on these so far. Especially here in Jersey where we get lots of fine powder snow and rain storms. Just throwing that out there for you to consider OP.

clav

How old are your tires?

Are they summer or all seasons?

The first one is especially important. Sure, tires wear out, but they also have a "best before" date.

Yeah even the best set (most expensive) of tires expire because they eventually suffer from dry rot or material fatigue.

It also depends on the weather and where the car is parked. Ideally you want to keep the car in a garage when not in use.

Iorv3th

They're teaching wrong

A lot of accidents happen because of people over correcting once they regain traction. Similar thing can happen on gravel roads if driving too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom