• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hype x1000 - Wii Shop and DSi Shop down (update imminent?)

Somnid

For those that don't know every time the shop has gone down something has been changed whether or not is was perceivable. Last time although they said they added some new page the real update was adding server-side certificate authentication which borked my program to browse all regions of the shop from a PC. That's also why the shop channel itself needed to be upgraded, it was a security flaw. That, and updates are always global but may not effect all regions.

The timing of this is obvious to some snazzy upgrades though. At least that's what I've been predicting for months.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Zerodoppler said:
The DSi doesn't have the necessary resolution to properly display most consoles on the VC. Even the NES used a higher resolution than the DS.

Yes, cause games can't be displayed in different resolutions.

Zerodoppler said:
The DSi doesn't have the necessary resolution to properly display most consoles on the VC. Even the NES used a higher resolution than the DS.

And yet this existed, and sold very well. It even had support to run a few of the 2 Player games over the GBA's Wireless Adapter.

Nakazato

big_z said:
wiifail.jpg
:lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sprsk said:
Yes, cause games can't be displayed in different resolutions.

erm, no, they can't in this context. a NES game could not be displayed at a lower resolution than its original res without: a) visual distortion (downsampling--ranges from benign to severe depending on the game and what method is used), b) cutting off part of the screen, or c) scrolling the screen (SMB GBC).

plank

Attention!!!! ..... Attention!!!.... The fan boys will be owned in 1.5 hours. I repeat, The fan boys will be owned in 1.5 hours. That is all, thank you.

ZeoVGM

Banned
plank said:
Attention!!!! ..... Attention!!!.... The fan boys will be owned in 1.5 hours. I repeat, The fan boys will be owned in 1.5 hours. That is all, thank you.

Okay, I'll add to it:

WHICH ONES?

I just started coming back to the dark, er, gaming side last night. Make it worth my time!

beje

Banned
Team Twizzers, the most reputable homebrew programmers, have detected with their "Wiimpersonator" program that there are a lot of updated and new IOS in Nintendo servers, one of them supposedly to block the usage of IOS16 to downgrade 3.4 systems so they can be used for soft-mod, ready as a new system update so there is REALLY something.

Now, we'll have to see what that "something" does aside from blocking illegal software use, as unpatched IOS16 possesion is completely illegal (it was stolen from a recovery disc used for system repairs that some fucktard at Nintendo left inside a repaired Wii)

Stumpokapow said:
erm, no, they can't in this context. a NES game could not be displayed at a lower resolution than its original res without: a) visual distortion (downsampling--ranges from benign to severe depending on the game and what method is used), b) cutting off part of the screen, or c) scrolling the screen (SMB GBC).

They clearly don't have a problem with this, they officially did it on the GBA, which had an even smaller vertical resolution. 12 cartridges in the US and Europe, 30 cartidges in Japan. Screen of 240 x 160 pixels, versus the DS's 256 x 192 pixels. And that's not counting the eReader card games, the Gamecube Animal Crossing "Advance Play" feature, Metroid: Zero Mission including the original NES game, and so on.

Nintendo has no problem with downsampling and lopping off screen real estate.

beje said:
Team Twizzers, the most reputable homebrew programmers, have detected with their "Wiimpersonator" program that there are a lot of updated and new IOS in Nintendo servers, one of them supposedly to block the usage of IOS16 to downgrade 3.4 systems so they can be used for soft-mod, ready as a new system update so there is REALLY something.

Now, we'll have to see what that "something" does aside from blocking illegal software use, as unpatched IOS16 possesion is completely illegal (it was stolen from a recovery disc used for system repairs that some fucktard at Nintendo left inside a repaired Wii)

Where? It's not up on hackmii.com.

Apparently it's up on wiibrew.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kulock said:
They clearly don't have a problem with this, they officially did it on the GBA, which had an even smaller vertical resolution. 12 cartridges in the US and Europe, 30 cartidges in Japan. Screen of 240 x 160 pixels, versus the DS's 256 x 192 pixels. And that's not counting the eReader card games, the Gamecube Animal Crossing "Advance Play" feature, Metroid: Zero Mission including the original NES game, and so on.

Nintendo has no problem with downsampling and lopping off screen real estate.

oh yes, i have no doubt that nintendo is willing to do this--hence my use of nintendo examples in my post. but it doesn't display well. SMB in particular was criticized extensively for the odd visual look caused by the downsampling/cuts.

Boerseun

Banned
I'm hoping the hype x1000 doesn't boil down to something as simple as a system update aimed at keeping pirates out.

Hopefully Nintendo will provide us with a meaty announcement or two.

A list of much anticipated but cancelled games that are now being revived for Wii would be a good start, e.g. Project Hammer, Kirby's Adventure, Raven Blade, Dead Phoenix, etc.

At the least they should let us play VC and WiiWare titles off SD cards.

DarkWish

So I just realized that today is the one year anniversary of WiiWare's launch and the Wii Shop Channel is down... HYPE HYPE HYPE!

TunaLover

beje said:

It seems like the only screwed here are the new Wii owners, since new systems don´t include a second boot system, by I know Bootmii allows boot a secondary OS which doesn´t interfere with the official Wii OS. So you always can boot up your Wii from boot1 or boot2. No more sneaky updates to conserve HBC, I hope so :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
15 minutes left
fan
boys!

Grab your Pikachu pillow, get comfortable, and strap in for what is going to be an epic ride though peaks and valleys, that which is known as a Nintendo Press Conference.

Get Ready to smile Gentlemen!

user_13508_SENNQCXS.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh man, only a few more minutes until the announcement of some Wii Music-type game or edutainment game and GAF acts like Nintendo quit gaming.

jaypah

omg rite said:
Oh man, only a few more minutes until the announcement of some Wii Music-type game or edutainment game and GAF acts like Nintendo quit gaming.

yeah, it's a wonder we have any members left.

Ridley327

Just finished updating the Wii. It added a SD card channel option next to the option button. You can save your channels and games on there and "play" them as long as you have the available memory on the Wii itself.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ridley327 said:
Just finished updating the Wii. It added a SD card channel option next to the option button. You can save your channels and games on there and "play" them as long as you have the available memory on the Wii itself.

MEGATON !!!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ridley327 said:
so nobody has speed-tested the thing yet?

Ridley327

To reiterate so that people can stop climaxing on their computer screens, you still need to have space available on the Wii itself in order to play stuff. Granted, if the update also increased the transfer rates to be negligible, then this is a pretty big deal, but it's definitely not direct-play from the SD card.

Top Bottom