• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Dragonball Z update: Majin Vegeta and Babidi released!

L Thammy

m_vegeta_0012skzr.png
m_vegeta_002rpjmv.png

m_vegeta_0033wjrc.png
m_vegeta_0045mkc8.png

babidi1auape.png
babidi2gwa78.png

babidi34ozi0.png
babidi4ubli0.png

For the uninitiated, Hyper Dragonball Z is a fangame basing its gameplay mostly off of CPS2 Capcom titles - Street Fighter Alpha and Darkstalkers. It has alpha counters, EX attacks, focus attacks, super jumps, and more. It also has over a hundred palettes for each character, voice options, original sprites, some original voice acting. High quality stuff!

Majin Vegeta uses the some animations from the vanilla Vegeta, but most of his moves are new or significantly altered. Like with the previous characters, some of his moves are based on Hyper Dimension or the classic Butouden games and some are original. The previous, non-SSJ Vegeta has also been updated with redrawn sprites.

Looks like Babidi fights with his crystal ball and summons. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm guessing he's a smaller release similar to Mr. Satan and Saibaman, since there's been only a brief hint of him (which I had thought was a joke).

Downloads:
South America
Europe
US

Some other Hyper Dragonball Z videos if you're curious:

HDBZ - Majin Vegeta vs Gohan AI level 6
HDBZ - Majin Vegeta vs SSJ Goku
HDBZ - Freeza Combo Video March 2015
Hyper DragonBall Z Online match: Traweezie(Frieza) vs SoliderSunday(Goku)
Hyper Dragon Ball Z EVO Pack - FT3 crp (Vegeta) vs Zino (Gohan)
NCR 2014 After Hours: Hyper Dragon Ball Z with AS|SDR|Hellpockets
Coolest DBZ Fan Game Ever! - Steam Train
[MUGEN] Gohan Z2 Movelist Video
Vegeta Z2 for Mugen Movelist Showcase
HYPER DRAGON BALL Z - Demo Trailer 2014 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORIYAMA-SAN! (ORIGINAL UPLOAD)
[WINMUGEN] Gohan Z2 custom voice reveal: Corey Holland

L Thammy

All the characters have been updated with various bug fixes, and I'm totally going to use that as an excuse to necrobump this thread. Seriously, did I post this at a bad time? I thought there were more people interested in this project.

The links are the same as in the OP.

The next set of characters has also been revealed: Piccolo and Super Buu. What's interesting is that Super Buu is being done by a new spriter (Barker) whereas Piccolo and all the other major characters have been handled by the project leader (Balthazar). There have been at least half a dozen characters inspired by Balthazar's Dragonball Z stuff, but this is the only one that his crew has adopted like this. Might be the first one to actually be released, too.

Sounds like there's also a smaller update coming up sometime which should have a proper title screen, character select screen, so on. Probably balance adjustments and the completed Freeza. There's no date or images yet though.

piccoloz2_walking54qyyg.gif
n2aihqw8jb93.gif

L Thammy

Whoa, I've never seen this before! Always said it would be amazing if Capcom would make a DBZ fighter, this is great.

Well, Super Dragonball Z for the PS2 was developed by former Capcom employees and is somewhat styled after a Capcom game. So there's also that.

L Thammy

Not sure if this deserves it own thread, seeing as how this is an unofficial game and there are no new playable characters. But there's a new update. This one is a complete package with all the characters, stages, etc. already set up. Since it's more convenient, I've replaced the download link the OP with the new ones:

South America
Europe
US

Video here. It also shows a tiny bit of the upcoming characters (Piccolo, Gotenks, and Super Buu).

The new stuff in the update includes:

- Finished version of Freeza, including his Lvl. 3 supers and finishers. The movelist says they aren't implemented, but they actually are.
- New stages (Namek - Porunga, Namek - Dying, Satan City - Sunset, Kami's Lookout).
- Difficulty seems to be adjusted. It's still hard by default, but I was able to defeat Vegeta and Goku, whereas before I had trouble even clearing a round. Gohan is harder though; he didn't have a custom AI before.
- New announcer, intro, title screen, character select screen, etc. Looks like a proper game now.
- There's now a movelist index is the main folder.
- There are two final bosses added, and they're immediately spoiled if you go into the character folder.
It's Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta. They're Shin Akuma type upgrades of Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta.
You face one of them randomly at the end of arcade mode, but I can't beat Super Saiyan Goku for the life of me. ;_;

I'm guessing there's some balance adjustments as well, but I can't tell what they are off the top of my head.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not sure if this deserves it own thread, seeing as how this is an unofficial game and there are no new playable characters. But there's a new update. This one is a complete package with all the characters, stages, etc. already set up. Since it's more convenient, I've replaced the download link the OP with the new ones:

South America
Europe
US

Video here. It also shows a tiny bit of the upcoming characters (Piccolo, Gotenks, and Super Buu).

The new stuff in the update includes:

- Finished version of Freeza, including his Lvl. 3 supers and finishers. The movelist says they aren't implemented, but they actually are.
- New stages (Namek - Porunga, Namek - Dying, Satan City - Sunset, Kami's Lookout).
- Difficulty seems to be adjusted. It's still hard by default, but I was able to defeat Vegeta and Goku, whereas before I had trouble even clearing a round. Gohan is harder though; he didn't have a custom AI before.
- New announcer, intro, title screen, character select screen, etc. Looks like a proper game now.
- There's now a movelist index is the main folder.
- There are two final bosses added, and they're immediately spoiled if you go into the character folder.
It's Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta. They're Shin Akuma type upgrades of Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta.
You face one of them randomly at the end of arcade mode, but I can't beat Super Saiyan Goku for the life of me. ;_;

I'm guessing there's some balance adjustments as well, but I can't tell what they are off the top of my head.
Oh man, this is looking great.

Nokterian

This looks so damn good and they have come far with it. Why in the world did bandai namco never did this is beyond me but shows the passion of the fans.

ElFly

Um why are all the videos stretched? Or maybe I am crazy but I think the game is supposed to be displayed at 4:3.

Swarna

Game was too MUGEN for me the moment they had 2 versions of Goku.

And I don't like how they pit Gohan vs. Base/SSJ2 Goku/Vegeta like they are in the same league when SSJ3 Goku can't even touch Gohan.

Too MUGEN/10.

Naw b I ain't bout dat life.

L Thammy

I'd personally rather have all the characters in a fighting game be equally viable regardless of canon, but maybe I'm weird.

As for Mac, there's this, but I don't know how good it is.

Um why are all the videos stretched? Or maybe I am crazy but I think the game is supposed to be displayed at 4:3.

From the description on the new video:

"Note 2: This is actually the first time I've recorded from the Hyper DBZ build
instead of recording from my Winmugen setup, hence this video is 4:3 (640x480)
compared to the widescreen display of all my previously uploaded videos."

So I guess that's why? The new video looks okay.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

And I don't like how they pit Gohan vs. Base/SSJ2 Goku/Vegeta like they are in the same league when SSJ3 Goku can't even touch Gohan.

Too MUGEN/10.

Yeah, because no official Dragon Ball game has multiple versions of the same character...

Also, who cares who's "stronger", it's a fighting game, it's made so that you can fight against any character you want with whoever. You must be super fun at parties.

I love the fact that the sprite work feels very 16bit era. It's not 32bpp images that are simply pixelated, they look intentionally palette limited to match games like Hyper Dimension. I'm totally going to have to check this out.

Too MUGEN/10.

Really? You're really doing this? You're going to be that guy who complains about Super man losing fights to Batman?

Top Bottom