• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends Review thread

redcrayon

Less enemies on screen, less animations, worse FPS, worse graphics and having to do possibly hundreds of hours of progress again. Why are you playing a Dynasty Warriors game at that point?

Did anyone seriously want a 3DS port? I asked the same question to some people when Xenoblade 3D came out.

And as the Gamexplain crew has already discussed, having new characters to play on Wii U is pointless without new maps or story missions. Theres nothing to work toward and you probably wont use them for very long.
I mainly play on portables, so yeah, I did.

just a couple new story missions (literally a couple or so) then its basically those other levels which equate to free mode/finish a map for some unlocks. the 3ds version of this game could be considered a Hyrule Warriors Extreme Legends-lite if you will (if you know how koei has done the companion games for the musou series)

Okay, thanks. How far in are these missions, do you know?

sensui-tomo

Okay, thanks. How far in are these missions, do you know?

post game/epilogue so you'll be playing a while before getting to it. Mind you i'm in no way saying this is a bad game, I just like to make sure people know what they are getting into when it comes to musou games... the games already have a bad rep and its better to not hype them up to people so they dont get disappointed (this from a guy who loves the series)

sensui-tomo

I wish Nintendo would do this. I would buy a game like Earthbound in a heartbeat if I could transfer my 20+ hour Wii U save.

But they have to sell you the dlc on either content, you cant share dlc from one purchased game <_<. I dont have enough sarcasm to stress this.

post game/epilogue so you'll be playing a while before getting to it. Mind you i'm in no way saying this is a bad game, I just like to make sure people know what they are getting into when it comes to musou games... the games already have a bad rep and its better to not hype them up to people so they dont get disappointed (this from a guy who loves the series)

Ah, okay.

I'm not a fan of musou games, and didn't love the Wii U version (although it was at least better than most due to Zelda.)

Ridley327

But they have to sell you the dlc on either content, you cant share dlc from one purchased game <_<. I dont have enough sarcasm to stress this.

They do have a shared option for the new DLC, similar to how Smash does it.

Granted, it doesn't include the 3DS characters that are already in that version, so you're still stuck with either buying the game or forking over another few bucks for them.

Tried the demo on old XL. Camera seemed to move smooth enough, but the player character animates at 20FPS and looks a bit janky because of it, and then there's the 5FPS enemy animations.

I found it really jarring.

The pop-out and pop-in would distract the heck out of me playing it. I have a N3DS, but honestly there is not enough new to consider a repurchase compared to say Smash.

sensui-tomo

They do have a shared option for the new DLC, similar to how Smash does it.

Granted, it doesn't include the 3DS characters that are already in that version, so you're still stuck with either buying the game or forking over another few bucks for them.

It shouldnt work that way, when i bought dlc for SW4 or DW8 guess what, it was all crossbuy for ps3/psv/ps4(and worked on the following games). Nintendo shouldnt be doing this bad behavior but thats another discussion all together.

Tomita

So if I want all the DLC and all future DLC on 3DS, I'm all set if I buy a season pass, right?

Glad I'm getting my New 3DS today, going by the reviews...I had a feeling ever since this was announced a New 3DS would be necessary to fully enjoy the game.

Ridley327

So if I want all the DLC and all future DLC on 3DS, I'm all set if I buy a season pass, right?

Glad I'm getting my New 3DS today, going by the reviews...I had a feeling ever since this was announced a New 3DS would be necessary to fully enjoy the game.

All of the previously released DLC is already in Legends, with Medli being free for both systems. All you need is the upcoming season pass.

I'm really looking forward to this version, I think the number of additions is pretty great.

- Multiple characters playable per battle will reduce the grind a fair bit.
- New story missions, at least 4 I believe.
- Rebalanced Adventure Mode. All characters unlocked in the first map, second map gives you level 2 weapons and costumes, third map gives you level 3 weapons and more costumes. The second map you unlock is new to Legends which means they would need to completely rework it for the Wii U version. I'm guessing they just don't have the budget/time to do that for the Wii U version but who knows, maybe it will happen once Legends has been out for a while.
- The My Fairy thing sounds interesting I guess? I don't know enough about it.

It would be cool to have everything on the Wii U version as well but I found the demo to be surprisingly solid on the New 3DS. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a complete version for whatever the NX turns out to be to be honest. 1080p/60fps and all the new stuff in Legends and I'll gladly triple dip.

Tomita

All of the previously released DLC is already in Legends, with Medli being free for both systems. All you need is the upcoming season pass.

Isn't there new DLC too though like the Link's Awakening stuff? Just wanting to confirm cause I've never done a season pass before, haha.

Isn't there new DLC too though like the Link's Awakening stuff? Just wanting to confirm cause I've never done a season pass before, haha.

The Link's Awakening stuff would be included in the season pass, yes. A season pass allows you to download the additional expansions at a flat price.

Looking forward to trying the demo when it releases in the US.

I bought Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U a few months ago, but I returned it after a week or two. I ended up hardly ever playing it, and the only times I DID want to play it I was usually in another room out of the range of my Wii U gamepad or I was out of the house entirely.

A fully handheld version sounds perfect for me (at least on the n3DS), but I do want to try it out before deciding (I beat Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and I'm currently playing Twilight Princess, so I might be a bit Zelda-ed out at this point, haha).

NeonZ

just a couple new story missions (literally a couple or so) then its basically those other levels which equate to free mode/finish a map for some unlocks. the 3ds version of this game could be considered a Hyrule Warriors Extreme Legends-lite if you will (if you know how koei has done the companion games for the musou series)

There are 9 new story missions. 4 for the Link and the Wind Waker focused epilogue and 5 for Linkle's side-story, both are post-game. Link's missions also add 2 completely new Wind Waker stages, alongside a new item, new grunts and officers, and two bosses, while Linkle's only adds "time of the day" variations for some of the older stages.

shaowebb

Its a musou title...who the fuck cares what reviewers think about those games? They never give them good reviews and they're always fun as fuck without their opinions.

If reviewers had their way musou would have died ages ago. The games are fun as fuck and just like with titles like Earth Defense Force and Godhand it doesn't make them any better or worse when some reviewer suddenly thinks they have some kind of gourmet super desktop developer sense of what you should care about.

Play it and have fun. Musou titles never get high reviews and they're generally a blast. Hyrule Warriors literally had 100's of hours of playtime just in the base game with its story, leveling, and adventure map stuff. Hyrule Warriors Legends is a title with a lot of replayability, collectibles, nods to fans, and fun action with a lot of variety between maps in terms of unique challenges and goals in Adventure mode.

Hit it and enjoy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Does the framerate still drop on N3DS if you turn 3D on like in the demo? That's a dealbreaker for me. The game looks really ugly without 3D on, and the framerate with it on is too low for my liking.

Fair enough. I think Xenoblade 3D is really crap but i understand cause of the price of the wii game.

Ok when i put it that way i make it sound like Monster Games does bad ports. I dont mean to sound harsh.

How is Xenoblade 3D "really crap"? It maintains a fantastic framerate for the world size, better than the original in a few instances IIRC, and the visual downgrades are pretty minor and less noticeable due to the world size. It could've used some more touch screen additions but other than that it's spectacular. Technically you couldn't really ask for a better port, and considering the size of the game it helps people who otherwise wouldn't have the 80~ hours or so needed to complete the title.

Cindro

I'm so torn! Hyrule Warriors and Link's Crossbow Training are the only two Zelda games I haven't beaten or played. I'm positive I would love, or at least thoroughly enjoy, the Wii U version - but having never played a musou game before, it seems like a very grindy game that's good for multitasking with (while watching tv or whatever), and despite off-tv play, I rarely use my Wii U that way.

So this version should be perfect for me, right? Especially since I have a n3DS?

But the comparison videos make it looks so ugly next to the Wii U version. Youtube compression has something to do with it no doubt, but still - this apparently doesn't come with all of the Wii U DLC either?

I told myself before reviews hit that if the n3DS version of this game was considered the best one, I'd absolutely buy it without hesitation. But it seems to be a huge downgrade in technical performance from the Wii U one, in ways that Smash 3DS wasn't (since that seems to be an easy point of reference here).

Does the framerate still drop on N3DS if you turn 3D on like in the demo? That's a dealbreaker for me. The game looks really ugly without 3D on, and the framerate with it on is too low for my liking.
This too. I always play with 3D on. If 3D tanks the framerate on n3DS I'll be much more likely to resist a purchase.

EDIT: Are there any video reviews yet?

But the comparison videos make it looks so ugly next to the Wii U version. Youtube compression has something to do with it no doubt, but still - this apparently doesn't come with all of the Wii U DLC either?

It's missing one side-mode, but adds a lot more over the Wii U version.

NeonZ

It comes with basically all the old Wii U DLC, it's only missing the Challenge mode (a score and time attack mode, where with a later DLC you could play with Ganon, the giant pig form, rather than the standard humanoid Ganondorf, and
a giant Cucco
). There are new DLC packs just announced for both the original Wii U game and this one though, and those obviously don't come with the base game.

Cindro

Oh! As much as I love pig ganon, I never touch score or time attack modes - so that's awesome to hear.

Now to find out about the framerate with 3D on. If that's solid then boom, my weekend plans are sealed.

Camjo-Z

About the sort of reviews I expected. I think I'll get this, I never really got a chance to dig into Tingle/Young Link and the extra Adventure Mode maps on the Wii U version.

Cancelled my pre-order and put the money towards the new Kirby game. I played a ton of the Wii U version and I'm still feeling burnt out somehow so I might pick it up during a sale down the road.

fernoca

All the Wii U content is in this version already. Yes.

If you buy digital you miss out on nothing, in fact, you get a free home menu theme on top (in EU at least, see this week's eShop PR - no idea about an NA offer).

DLC pricing options are all over the news sites. Just came out a few days ago.

Like here: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/h...release-planning-and-pricing-for-all-regions/

NA has the 3DS theme. It comes on an insert with the Wii U character transfer code.
Yep. NA digital gets the theme and Wii U content too.

Piers

It comes with basically all the old Wii U DLC, it's only missing the Challenge mode (a score and time attack mode, where with a later DLC you could play with Ganon, the giant pig form, rather than the standard humanoid Ganondorf, and
a giant Cucco
). There are new DLC packs just announced for both the original Wii U game and this one though, and those obviously don't come with the base game.

Challenge Mode was largely forgettable anyway, save for maybe the Ganon mode but even then.

MrPanic

Looking forward to this. Got a n3ds so the in-game character switching makes this the best version for me easily. Normally I'm a 3D on guy as well, but the demo already showed me that apart from the tanking framerate, the 3D doesn't look that great to begin with so I'm fine to keep it turned off to keep that smooth framerate. It kinda has that same poor 3D that Xenoblade or Mario Golf had where the 3D effect is so minimal that it basically strains your eyes without it looking any better.

Is the no co-op confirmed? I told a friend it had some co-op so I better warn him it doesn't if they removed it for the 3ds version.

jjasso21

I can possibly get it if it runs well enough on the N3DS. That video is definitely rough of footage playing on the original 3DS, maybe even borderline unplayable. I have it on the Wii U anyway, even though I may double-dip.

Cindro

Maaaaan, that IGN review said even the n3DS version has muddy textures and minimal effects and lowered performance with 3D on. Such a damn shame :(

I don't get IGNs review, sure it performs poorly on the original 3DS but thats hardly the games fault. Perhaps it should have been exclusive to New 3DS but its better than people with previous models not being able to play it at all. I recommend people try the demo to build an opinion, the performance seems great and perfectly playable on New 3DS.
Edit: I only read their review for the old 3DS, didn't realise they gave two scores depending on the hardware.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't get IGNs review, sure it performs poorly on the original 3DS but thats hardly the games fault. Perhaps it should have been exclusive to New 3DS but its better than people with previous models not being able to play it at all. I recommend people try the demo to build an opinion, the performance seems great and perfectly playable.

It's better than not being able to play it, which is why they still gave it a 4. And it's not the games fault, they aren't playing a blame game but offering their opinion on the experience you get with it on old 3DS hardware. It's a perfectly valid thing to point out and I'm glad at least one reviewer went this far to do so.

bobawesome

Not really bothered by the graphics at all considering it's a 3DS game and I didn't have too much of a problem with Xenoblade.

This looks like the perfect podcast game. Think I'll go ahead and put an order in.

Top Bottom