• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d really dig a Castlevania series that’s actually about trekking through Dracula’s castle

jcorb

I think the initial Netflix Castlevania show was kind of a mixed bag. I liked the characters, and the animation once the big combat sequences occurred was amazing, but the dialogue felt way too try-hard to be “adult”. And holyfuckingshit was the ending abysmal.

I tried Nocturne, and honestly, it doesn’t even feel like they’re trying to make a show about Castlevania. Not that the show necessarily seems *bad*, but it’s definitely clear they want to tackle social issues above all else, and… that’s never really been central to what makes Castlevania so unique.

I’d honestly love to see them just do a mini-series of Simon Belmont just rocking his way through Dracula’s castle. I don’t need “political intrigue”, in fact I don’t even *want* it. Just give me some awesome action sequences, as many iconic, CLASSIC monsters (none of this “night creatures” or whatever business), and let Simon be the stoic, cool-looking, 80’s action hero-inspired badass he’s always been.

Just keep that shit simple. Dracula is up to no good in the neighborhood, and Simon is there to put a stop to it. Get some guitarists like VMills to shred on the background music, and I would be thrilled.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Animation Running GIF by Mashed

Just give me the Captain N Simon Belmont.

kunonabi

It's definitely something that would have worked as an anime back in the 80s. I mean realistically doing something based of CVIII was the smart thing to do they just got the wrong people to do it. Castlevania should should be a lavish Hammer production full of atmosphere and color with a mix of elegant Gothic horror and hard hitting action against a stunning array of movie and mythological monsters with a touch of humor. Not a bunch of edgelord nonsense, flippy dippy shit and godawful leftist virtue signalling.

Madflavor

I really enjoyed the Netflix Series (not Nocturne) for the most part, but it did rub me the wrong way how beginning with Season 2, Trevor was demoted to a side character in his own story. If you count Nocturne, we've had 5 Seasons of a Castlevania anime, and only a minute of Belmont vs. Dracula action. And when it did happen, there was no emotional weight to it.

They did kinda make up for it with Trevor vs. Death though.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just give me the Captain N Simon Belmont.

The best version of Belmont.

I think this is a cool idea, but you would need him to find safe places to rest and dialog. I guess you could team up with Alucard and others. I wouldn't want more than one season in a castle.

kunonabi

The best version of Belmont.

I think this is a cool idea, but you would need him to find safe places to rest and dialog. I guess you could team up with Alucard and others. I wouldn't want more than one season in a castle.
With Simon at least you could follow it up with him trying to rid himself of his curse afterwards. That gets him traveling around the country helping villagers as he tries to collect Dracula's body parts.

A proper Rondo story would have Maria, the maidens and Shaft to interact with.

Castlevania 64 has the best supporting cast of the classic games and built in sub plots for Reinhardt and Carrie so that would be the easiest to do.

Bloodlines could be more of a buddy thing and you could always lean a bit into the novel for characters.

I mean really it's mostly only Simon's first battle and the GB Belmonts that lack the kind of supporting cast that narrative adaptations typically demand.

It would need to be a Simon series. Simon travels completely alone and barely talks to anyone. So most writers are too afraid to work with this, and most showrunners are too afraid of a solo act not getting enough viewership numbers.

The only team I can think of that could do it is Genndy Tartakovsky's team, but then people would hate the art style.

Nocturne was just awful, the writing, the plot, the characters- all of it. The best part was the very final scene where a certain person shows up to literally clean up the shit mess the kids made.

I have zero hope on it getting better at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom