• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I always underestimate how much of a difference a healthy lifestyle makes.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I used to be pretty in shape and more than that, just plain healthy. Ate very very clean, exercised regularly, got lots of sleep, etc.

I got married and just slowly slid into a horribly unhealthy lifestyle. Gained a ton of weight, mental health got worse, work got harder.

I'm only like a week into eating super clean again and wow, I forgot just how much better you feel physically and mentally! And I know it's just the beginning. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

lifa-cobex

Go Ahead Yes GIF

Absolutely.
A bit of routine exercise does wonderers for the mind.

You've got to want to do it in order to stick at it though.

Don't just mindlessly go to the gym in hopes of fixing your mental health. You'll fall out and get bored.
Find the one that you want to do and make challenges out of it.

Vyse

Gold Member
I do CrossFit Monday - Friday and Ultimate Frisbee on the weekends. Mostly eat clean during the week and have a cheat meal on the weekend. Keeps me in great shape as I get older. Great job in getting focused OP. Keep it up.

K' Dash

I used to be pretty in shape and more than that, just plain healthy. Ate very very clean, exercised regularly, got lots of sleep, etc.

I got married and just slowly slid into a horribly unhealthy lifestyle. Gained a ton of weight, mental health got worse, work got harder.

I'm only like a week into eating super clean again and wow, I forgot just how much better you feel physically and mentally! And I know it's just the beginning. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

your story is pretty similar to mine, until March 2020 I ate super clean and used to go to the Gym 5 days a week, I was really fit, then the government closed everything for months because of COVID and then my wife got pregnant.... I gained weight, became a parent and basically let myself go.

Recently I started going to the gym again, waking up at 4am then coming back home by 5.30am to get my daughter ready for daycare. the change in just a few weeks is immense, I stopped snoring, I feel rested now when I get up in the morning, my mental health is much better, my resting heart rate that used to be in the high 90s is now in the low 70s. Generally feel great now. I still need to clean my diet, but I'm taking it step by step.

I'm planning to get back where I was before the pandemic in a year, it's amazing how the body remembers the training and the muscle memory is there helping you get in shape again.

Really glad for you OP.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
At the very minimum, I hit that treadmill every day (too cold to walk outside during winter). Even if it's just for a casual walk. People find it extreme, but I have a lot more energy and get better sleep than most people I know. And I don't feel tired all day, either.

K' Dash

At the very minimum, I hit that treadmill every day (too cold to walk outside during winter). Even if it's just for a casual walk. People find it extreme, but I have a lot more energy and get better sleep than most people I know. And I don't feel tired all day, either.

Getting a good night sleep is seriously underrated, once you start exercising and sleep at least 6-7 hours, you feel like a new person.

Last year, I started to hit the gym 3 times a week and since december I also run 5k every other day.

I also decreased my portions while eating dinner. I ate way too much.
Most of us eat way too much.

Fasting really helped me quite a bit. Once I adapted to that, waiting all day and then eating a 1700-1900 Calorie meal at the end of the day made weight loss super easy.

Though now I'm kind of on the opposite end of it, I'm trying to gain healthy weight up to 200lbs, eating roughly 3200 calories a day and haven't really put on more than a pound in 3 months. I've become so accustomed to fasting and having a strict exercise routine that it makes me apprehensive to ease back on my exercise to hit that goal.

Klosshufvud

It's this damned hyper processed shit food we eat. It's a shame you basically need to work out 3-4 times a week just to keep yourself from gaining weight on a modern diet. Everyone I know that quits working out just put on crazy amount of fat.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've definitely fallen off the diet wagon (as I sit here eating M&Ms....). Anyone use one of those continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices like nutrisense? Seems expensive, but if it kicks my ass in gear to cutting carbs long term the cost is negligible. Really learning which carbs boost blood sugar should make sustainable diet changes more palatable (assuming there are any that your body can tolerate).

Quasicat

I’ve never really been healthy until about a month ago. Since then, I have cut the sugar way back and stopped drinking pop. This alone has led to me losing almost 15 pounds. I don’t have the stomach pain I used to and I wake up ready to go for the day. I was worried when I tested positive for Covid last week that I would fall off the wagon, but I’m still holding strong.

BossLackey

Gold Member
For those that this might interest, here's my current diet. This diet (alongside consistent exercise) got me into incredible shape in the past and probably more importantly, my doctor had zero notes for me after a blood panel and checkup many months in:

Breakfasts: Nothing. Just not a fan, but that's a personal thing.

Lunches: Always the same. Meal prepped roasted chicken breast, roasted sweet potatoes, steamed vegetables. I always eat late, so this is my first meal at about 2PM for those interested in intermittent fasting.

Snack: Raspberries, blueberries, unsalted mixed nuts, small piece of dark chocolate, piece of cheese, can of sardines.

Dinner: Most nights, Sardinia Minestrone with a glug of olive oil, one or two fried eggs (fried in olive oil), and freshly grated parmesan. Sometimes with a slice of buttered bread.

One night of the week I'll make brown butter lemon salmon, sweet and sour broccoli, and roasted seasoned red potatoes.

Another night I'll make pan-seared chicken breast, parmesan crusted asparagus, and roasted red potatoes.

I could throw a different lunch in there, but overall this gives me a good balance between simplicity, diversity of flavor, and diversity of nutrition. I'll throw a steak in there every few weeks as well.

The minestrone especially makes life easier because you can make it once a week and it's verrrry filling, cheap(ish), super healthy.

Puscifer

For me I know I need to workout when I start getting lower back pain - which starts happening if I don't workout for about 2 weeks. Core is everything and hard to maintain
DDP yoga is fucking AMAZING for this. I'm not saying you should sail the high seas for YRG, the precursor to the current one. But when I compressed my spine powerlifting it was the only thing that made me be able to walk again when I could only limp for months. I ended buying 2.0 later on though

Last edited:

Aesius

I'm getting into my late 30s and being healthy is basically mandatory now. I have two kids so I need to stick around for them, but being unhealthy has massive consequences on my day-to-day life, too. I can't eat junk food at all anymore due to GERD and digestive issues. I start to develop aches and pains if I'm not in the gym regularly. More than 2 drinks in a night gives me a hangover now. And I'm ridiculously tired if I'm not getting a solid 8+ hours of sleep a night.

Basically, I've gotta be healthy just to live a normal, productive life.

Tams

If working out is a bit of a chore, I can't recommend Ring Fit enough. On the hardest difficulty setting, it can be a pretty hard workout for even fit people.

I can't be bothered going running at this time of year in this weather, not to mention regular running being shit for your lower joints. So it's great to have something so simple in the comfort of your home.

DDP yoga is fucking AMAZING for this. I'm not saying you should sail the high seas for YRG, the precursor to the current one. But when I compressed my spine powerlifting it was the only thing that made me be able to walk again when I could only limp for months. I ended buying 2.0 later on though
I'll need to check this out - I have actually gotten into a yoga class recently for this reason and it's been helpful. Only one day a week though and not personalized at all

Shtef

I am in exactly same condition as you op. Started eating healthy from last month, stoped smoking and started doing full body workouts 3x per week, this one , I feel much better now.

When i wake up at 8 I make turkish black coffee and freshly squeezed orange, grapefruit and half a lemon juice.

For snacks i have a jar full of mixed nuts that i take one handful whenever i feel hungry.

Around 12 i make smoothie (sometimes instead of smoothie i make 4 eggs omelet) to hold me over until lunch (which we eat around 5-6pm). In smoothie i put, one celery stick, 1/2 cup oats, flax and chia seeds, banana, organic cocoa powder, 1 spoon of peanut butter and some mixed berries mixed with water.

For lunch i usually eat, chicken breasts, fish, lentils, beans, spinach etc combined with baked potatoes, rice, and different kinds of salads with oliv oil.

I dont eat dinner. I dont drink soda or eat junk food and i go to sleep around 22-23.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have been dealt with such a hereditary T2 risk that I need to be super healthy. Here in French Polynesia it’s easy, we cook all our food from clean, simple ingredients and I do sport almost daily, 4 PT sessions a week.

My vice is alcohol. Now we haven’t had a drop in 10 days, following a wet Christmas and beginning of the year. Have slept super well, and after the first three days that felt horribly boring it has been actually very easy and nice.

Tomorrow it’s back on however, as we are hosting BBQ for friends.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I have bees dealt with such a hereditary T2 risk that I need to be super healthy. Here in French Polynesia it’s easy, we cook all our food from clean, simple ingredients and I do sport almost daily, 4 PT sessions a week.

My vice is alcohol. Now we haven’t had a drop in 10 days, following a wet Christmas and beginning of the year. Have slept super well, and after the first three days that felt horribly boring it has been actually very easy and nice.

Tomorrow it’s back on however, as we are hosting BBQ for friends.
Please post a thread with pictures from the bbq in French Plynesia so I can see what the sun looks like, I live in a rainforest!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Same old story: Winter hit and I went a month without running. Sleep was shit, felt tired all the time, brain tricked me into thinking it was external factors causing the "depression".

Went on a single 40-minute run, slept like a champ that night, felt amazing the next day.

It's seriously that simple.

Chittagong

Gold Member
After 10 days off alcohol, and having a fair bit on a couple of nights since, I have finally learned to enjoy the benefits of not drinking. I seem to have much more time on evenings. Sleep quality and daytime energy, both mental and physical, are substantially better. Life feels easy and relaxed. Calorie intake is naturally way down.

I am yet to come to terms with what is the right amount and frequency for alcohol. Because I do enjoy quality wine, cocktails and the occasional cold beer. At the moment I am thinking 2-3 occasions a week, with 1 drink + half a bottle of wine the optimal amount.

DavidGzz

I don't want to look and feel average or worse so I prioritize lifting and eating healthy. But I still enjoy my weekends. Mental health is also key and eating too healthy all the time can affect me there so I definitely enjoy myself. I'm 42 in my pfp but don't think I look it. That's another bonus. You age more gracefully.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll never get into being fit because I'm lazy, but if you want to lose about 10 lbs over a few months and then level off, just cut back on juice and regular pop. Sub in some zero calorie pop (ya I know it's not good for you too) and drink a bit more ice cold water. You dont have to go cold turkey with no regular sugary drinks. But find some low/zero calorie pop that still tastes good.

Youll lose weight. But assuming you eat the same junky food, you'll level off but should be able to keep off the 10 lbs with no other effort.

This wont turn you into a ripped dude, but it's a start.

Last edited:

MikeM

Get back on that healthy train and stay there soldier!

I used to eat pretty bad up until I got heavy into the gym. I feel better and am way stronger now in my late thirties than in my twenties. Being healthy helps with stress management.

After 10 days off alcohol, and having a fair bit on a couple of nights since, I have finally learned to enjoy the benefits of not drinking. I seem to have much more time on evenings. Sleep quality and daytime energy, both mental and physical, are substantially better. Life feels easy and relaxed. Calorie intake is naturally way down.

I am yet to come to terms with what is the right amount and frequency for alcohol. Because I do enjoy quality wine, cocktails and the occasional cold beer. At the moment I am thinking 2-3 occasions a week, with 1 drink + half a bottle of wine the optimal amount.
The "right" amount is mostly like zero, tbh. With that said, I don't see myself giving it up entirely...but it's been hard breaking the "COVID habits" of having it way too often. My per-sitting average intake is down, but frequency is way up. I'm also aiming towards keeping to a Friday and/or Saturday evening. That seems reasonable enough to allow for quality sleep during the workweek and resetting the tolerance so I'm more satisfied with less on the weekends.

Topher

Gold Member
Keep it up. It gets harder as you get older. Just make it a permanent routine and one day......you'll look like me....

738656.jpg

DavidGzz DavidGzz just messing with you man

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The "right" amount is mostly like zero, tbh. With that said, I don't see myself giving it up entirely...but it's been hard breaking the "COVID habits" of having it way too often. My per-sitting average intake is down, but frequency is way up. I'm also aiming towards keeping to a Friday and/or Saturday evening. That seems reasonable enough to allow for quality sleep during the workweek and resetting the tolerance so I'm more satisfied with less on the weekends.
Yeah it was that exactly. Since I keep food diaries every now and then,I have been tracking when my consumption increased, it was during Covid, 2021 specifically.

In 2020 we would still have alcohol on around 3-4 days a week. One of the days would be a G&T and a beer, other days maybe half a bottle to a bottle of wine and a night cap whisky. That frequency remained until summer 2021, when we had friends over for the first time, and then when we moved to Polynesia and had friends for months. There would be 5-7 days where we would have some alcohol. A beer in the afternoon, a glass or two of wine with dinner. The bigger nights also became bigger. Once our friends headed home after half year, the habit had stuck.

Now, since late January, we went completely off for 10 days, and then cut back significantly to those 2-3 days a week. It is much harder to make that habit to stick than it was to get the drinking to stick. Weirdly, it's not drinking I crave. It's more that I crave 'not not drinking'.

Top Bottom