• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am actually starting to like Episode I better than Episode II...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've always disliked both, but i dislike epsiode 1 less. episode one is an uncharismatic effects wank with great lightsaber fights. episode two is an uncharismatic effects wank without great lightsaber fights. and jake lloyd is probably a better actor than that other guy whose name i can't remember...i wanna say efralope.

etiolate

Banned
ep 2 > ep 1

The love scene in the grass with those weird sheepcows is the only bad scene I remember from episode 2. Episode 2 had a lot more strange/bizarre/fantastic locals while ep 1 was mainly one planet and the senate room.

Plus, that alien in the restaraunt > Jar Jar.

edit: I am annoying myself with the >'s.

Ramirez

I loved both...

The people who hated them just had way too much hype for them and the movies couldn't have been good in their eyes regardless of what happened :p

Boogie

Ramirez said:
I loved both...

The people who hated them just had way too much hype for them and the movies couldn't have been good in their eyes regardless of what happened :p

Wait for it..........

NO.

I enjoyed both Ep. 1 and 2, with the nod going to Ep. 1 in terms of which one I liked best.
I was able to block out most of Jar Jar's annoyingness (is that a word?) in the first film and the love story/acting in the second is attrocious, but they're good movies if you can turn a blind eye to a few of their faults.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, Duel of the Fates, both the scene and song, kick ass. I think that was the big thing Attack of the Clones was missing. The final duel was seriously lacking, if only because it was so damned short. Then Yoda pops out for no reason other than to please fanboys who don't know what's best for the franchise. They're the same fanboys who've been crying about not knowing Yoda's species name and begging for an origin for Boba Fett. Unfortunately, Lucas really tried to satisfy those idiots with AotC.

Still, I prefer AotC over TPM. It has fewer cringe-worthy scenes and it's a faster paced film, not that the latter is important, but large chunks of TPM are slow and boring.

Bog

Junior Ace
I also love both of them. I just saw Episode 2 again the other night and have to rate it above 1. Too much down time in Ep 1. As soon as they hit Tatooine, you know you're in for like an hour of nothing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would tend to rate Episode I over II, except I just can't abide by Anakin being too young which leads to problems and the need for goofy, kid antics to deal with major plot points - I just can't stand Anakin saving the day with his string of wacky accidental yuk-yuks at the end. It gave the big finale a tone that didn't gel with ANY of the other SW films' finales. It's just out of place and destroys suspension of disbelief.

If I could change anything in Ep I I would go with the suggestion of making Jar Jar a more serious alien (believe it or not, I think the tongue scene at the table wasn't that bad and kinda funny, and would have seemed better if Jar Jar had overall been less stupid). And making Anakin older and his actions more intentional. Also, just as a last detail, I would have made the final battle surrounding Naboo larger in scale - for all Naboo was a "peaceful" world it was obvious they had defensive military and police forces. I would have had it so that when all hell broke loose as the group stormed the palace, it was synchronized with intentional riots at the internment camps and a larger number of Naboo fighters being liberated and coming up from all over the planet. Six fighters was just silly, after I rewatched it.

Substance

drohne said:
i've always disliked both, but i dislike epsiode 1 less. episode one is an uncharismatic effects wank with great lightsaber fights. episode two is an uncharismatic effects wank without great lightsaber fights. and jake lloyd is probably a better actor than that other guy whose name i can't remember...i wanna say efralope.

Hayden Christensen is a damn fine actor. I always say this when proving the merits of Christensen, but seriously look into 'Shattered Glass', and check out 'Life as a House'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
both could quite easily been done as one movie, and have way too much padding.

And episode 2 has padme in that white uniform....

Cool, I didnt realize there was ANY PT love on this board, glad to see I was wrong. Both TMP and AotC kick ass. I am a huge Star Wars fan, and my level of antisipation was infinate on both movies, and I came out loving both, wasnt dissapointed at all. I dont buy the arguement saying that those that went in with high levels of antisipation are the ones that hate it. I thin those are the ones that are just hard to please. Maybe I loved both because I went in to watch George Lucas' movie, and not mine.

I do however agree with the complaints about Jar Jar. My major problem with him was that Lucas had tried to make the movie more child friendly by having him in, and for fuck sakes, I would perfer to see the Star Wars series made for it's existing fans, not one that reaches out for new ones. Now ones would come anyways, I dont look at Star Wars as a kids series, it should have stayed much more mature. Fourtinatly AotC was not as bad in this regard.

But in the end I still love both movies, and cant wait for Episode III, it's shaping up to be perfect. But damnit I wish the Episode III spoiler topic would die, because on one hand I dont want to read spoilers, but the fact that there's some Star Wars info I dont know that others do, drives me nuts :(

~Black Deatha

xabre

Banned
Substance said:
Hayden Christensen is a damn fine actor. I always say this when proving the merits of Christensen, but seriously look into 'Shattered Glass', and check out 'Life as a House'.

The wooden acting seems to result from extensive use of blue screens for practically everything. I mean I suppose it would be hard to act in a scene with an incredible waterfall backdrop if the incredible waterfall backdrop doesn't really exist and instead you're acting in front of a blue wall. That is a big problem with these new star wars movies, it's just all so fake. Instead of going out and shooting on location and adding the fancy digital shit later ala LOTR, these movies basically look like cartoons with a few live actors placed on top. So with that in mind you can't really expect the acting to be too decent, I wouldn't say they're given much to work with.

Tool

Banned
Hayden Christensen is a damn fine actor

I have to give him props for that one scene where he's in bed and it seems like he's jerking off. That was classic. I laughed and laughed and laughed during that scene.

FoneBone

I thought Episode II was better than Episode I, but I've only seen each one once in the theater, and I've had little desire to see either one again. So I can't really compare them.

I have to say, though, that I'm baffled as to why people are still excited about Episode III, and why they continue to eat all the shit Lucas feeds them. I mean, the man added a fucking Gungan into the original trilogy.

Panajev2001a said:
She seems hurt, she should be... naaah, she stands up, she talks with the storm-trooper (looking like nothing happened) and off she is running fast and steady.

I always get a kick of seeing her run. She looks like she's running on snow. Real funny like, check it out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom