• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cant believe they havent properly rebooted (the original) Power Rangers yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

Saban is actually planning to make a Power Rangers theatrical movie, and next year is as good as any to release one, since it's the 20th Anniversary and they can use the footage from Gokaiger, which the Zyurangers appear.

sentai3338.jpg
sentai3340.jpg
tumblr_lyu4yvo09c1r37ohpo1_1280.jpg

But as for a movie with full original footage, I doubt it. Saban is notoriously cheap, and Power Rangers wouldn't even exist if he couldn't use footage from Super Sentai.

Orayn

Saban is planning to make a Power Rangers theatrical movie, and next year is as good as any to release one, since it's the 20th Anniversary and they can use the footage from Gokaiger, which the Zyurangers appear.

Wouldn't a new theatrical thing be based on all original footage, just like the first MMPR movie?

WillyFive

Wouldn't a new theatrical thing be based on all original footage, just like the first MMPR movie?

Not necessarily, since Super Sentai movies come out in theaters in Japan all the time, and Saban has bought footage from the movies to use in Power Rangers, like in Power Rangers Samurai for example.

Sqorgar

Banned
I can't believe we've never gotten a real Super Sentai show subtitled into English. We've gotten a few Ultraman series, one Kamen Rider series and one movie, bunch of 1970s off brand stuff, but never any Super Sentai. You'd think that with the MMPR fans being adults now, the audience for the originals would be there.

Perhaps the weirdest irony of it is that Japan has MMPR series subtitled into Japanese.

Orayn

I can't believe we've never gotten a real Super Sentai show subtitled into English. We've gotten a few Ultraman series, one Kamen Rider series and one movie, bunch of 1970s off brand stuff, but never any Super Sentai. You'd think that with the MMPR fans being adults now, the audience for the originals would be there.

Perhaps the weirdest irony of it is that Japan has MMPR series subtitled into Japanese.

I can see them doing it on some official streaming site, perhaps, but not as the broadcast. People over here are too used to the fully customized localizations, as opposed to just translating/dubbing.

God damn it was never good. Power Rangers came out shortly after TMNT, and it combined that idea with Transformers and Voltron. But it was horrible. I guess if I was 3 years younger maybe I would have dug it, but I do not think so. I was watching shitty cartoons at the time like Garfield and Friends, and it was several notches above Power Rangers. I knew it when I was 10.

Yeah, I was a little too old for Power Rangers when it arrived on the scene. I also didn't like the idea of live action taking over my Saturday morning cartoons.

WillyFive

The thing with dubbing Super Sentai and bringing it over is that it's expensive to license.

To do something like this, you have to go to the agency for each individual actor on the show, and depending on the market you plan on selling the show, the agency will charge you a fee. For a market as big as NA, for example, the fees would be way too expensive for the niche market Asian films take up in the West.

It's not like anime, where the actors are automatically removed via dubbing; when you dub a live action show, the actors are still there on-screen.

That's why Saban and Disney preferred to simply remake the show with American actors rather than dub the show (this is also preferable for them because it's a lot easier with the FCC to just film new stuff that is good for kids rather than having to edit questionable things out from the Sentai).

Ithil

The series is still plugging away. Super Sentai hasn't stopped, so neither has Power Rangers.

As far as I know, the 20 or so Power Rangers series are all supposed to be in the same universe, as absurd as that sounds.

Salsa

Saban is actually planning to make a Power Rangers theatrical movie, and next year is as good as any to release one, since it's the 20th Anniversary and they can use the footage from Gokaiger, which the Zyurangers appear.

i'll take it

heroes.gif

There now this can be an official Reboot thread.

I fucking loved Power Rangers but I do not see a new version of the old show being something I watch. I mean going back now and looking at some clips, that show was horrible (the movie was good though). And I do not have kids so I say nay to the reboot of Power Rangers.

Also, the best thing done with the old show is this voice over. NSFW. Lots of profanity and racial stereotypish things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwDkAYS_-g

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The series is still plugging away. Super Sentai hasn't stopped, so neither has Power Rangers.

As far as I know, the 20 or so Power Rangers series are all supposed to be in the same universe, as absurd as that sounds.

minus 1 anyway.

I think Power Rangers is fine the way it is. It's targeted towards children that we used to be like us. And when we saw Power Rangers it was the best thing ever.

WillyFive

But they actually went through with the first movie, right? :p

The MMPR movie was from Fox, since they wanted to cash-in on the fad. It's like their own version of the show, which it's why it's so different from all of the others.

I liked the score, but the movie itself was just as stupid as the show, just different.

Megasoum

Banned
Still the greatest teaser trailer of all time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8bm3dGt0E

I remember seeing that in the theaters and having no idea beforehand that they were making a power rangers movie.

I miss the movie trailer voice over guy sigh...

Fun fact, the first thing I did after subscribing to Netflix was go and watch the 8 episode green rangers story arc lol.

And I remember being completly heartbroken when I found out that it wasn't the "real" rangers fighting in the costumes lol.

Has anyone seen the movie recently? I just watched a little of it the other day. I don't remember Ivan Ooze being hilarious, lol. Check it out.

MisterHero

The MMPR movie was from Fox, since they wanted to cash-in on the fad. It's like their own version of the show, which it's why it's so different from all of the others.

I liked the score, but the movie itself was just as stupid as the show, just different.
And Saban was under Fox, because he laid the groundwork for Fox Kids and later Fox Family, which he sold to Fox for billions. Yes there are bad stories about his cheapness, which cost the show in various ways (like actors), but they eventually could make that movie.

For what it's worth, Saban did try to make a complete show that wasn't pieced together from Sentai. The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog is probably middle-tier in when compared to the spectrum of PR seasons.

Sir I must protest your frequent lambasting of MMPR. I get it, sentai is awesome, but there are legitimate reasons for kids to enjoy MMPR*. I've watched Zyu, and I've read a bit from sentai watchers, and Zyu is not even one of the popular ones (with perhaps the exception of Burai), so why is it so bad that the American version exists?

*One of the reasons it can appreciate in value is simply because later seasons were worse (with maybe the exceptions of In Space, Time Force or SPD. Lightspeed Rescue grew on me though.)

I'm not trying to defend PR because it was a super high-quality show or anything, but rather that PR has its own direction/feeling as opposed to Sentai. If people want a strictly Western translation of sentai, more power to them. I'd argue that's not what PR is, or what a future movie should be. On the other hand, strict translations seem to be more cost-effective.

celebi23 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8bm3dGt0E
I've always wondered if there's a long version of that music D:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just want the Dragonzord. I was insanely jealous of my friend that actually had both the Dragonzord toy AND the original one so he could make the super Dragonzord Battle Mode.

ajim

The original Power Rangers were amazing, and they had the best toys at the time too!

RIP Trini :( You were the girl I first realised I had a preference of Asian women over other women because I was always the only one that thought you were cute/hot in that show amongst all my other 9yo mates at the time. Really set the wheels in motion.

Salsa

Complain about Batman in armor in film adaptations.

Post pic of Power Rangers in armor in film adaptation.

sure thing, i never read Power Ranger comics with different outfits before seeing live action adaptations son

the movie suits are clearly an update since they were already going for that kinda thing considering the helmets and whatnot

they were great and shiny

I don't even know how you'd reboot it...but I know I'd be there the first day. I love Power Rangers and Super Sentai so fucking much. Got a full black MMPR ranger suit and everything.

mjc

The movie blew my mind when it came out. The new suits were awesome and it was pretty fun for the time. Of course the CGI Zords looks like horseshit now, and most of the movie is pretty cheesy, but I still like it for nostalgia's sake. I wouldn't mind a rebooted movie.

WillyFive

Sir I must protest your frequent lambasting of MMPR. I get it, sentai is awesome, but there are legitimate reasons for kids to enjoy MMPR*. I've watched Zyu, and I've read a bit from sentai watchers, and Zyu is not even one of the popular ones (with perhaps the exception of Burai), so why is it so bad that the American version exists?

*One of the reasons it can appreciate in value is simply because later seasons were worse (with maybe the exceptions of In Space, Time Force or SPD. Lightspeed Rescue grew on me though.)

I'm not trying to defend PR because it was a super high-quality show or anything, but rather that PR has its own direction/feeling as opposed to Sentai. If people want a strictly Western translation of sentai, more power to them. I'd argue that's not what PR is, or what a future movie should be. On the other hand, strict translations seem to be more cost-effective.

I don't criticize MMPR for not being Sentai. They are two different shows and shouldn't be held up against each other unless it specifically asks for comparison (like Samurai).

I just criticize MMPR because I didn't like it.

Sure, it must have been awesome for millions upon millions of kids, but it doesn't hold up to today's kids shows, let alone as a show to watch yourself. It's a show that depends a lot on nostalgia in order for it to be liked, and I don't have that nostalgia for it. There's a reason people laugh at Power Rangers, because MMPR (the only one people remember) is a show worth laughing at.

DMczaf

I'm in a thread with people saying Power Rangers suits don't look goofy...and I love Power Rangers.

G-Fex, what are you doing to GAF?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
God damn it was never good. Power Rangers came out shortly after TMNT, and it combined that idea with Transformers and Voltron. But it was horrible. I guess if I was 3 years younger maybe I would have dug it, but I do not think so. I was watching shitty cartoons at the time like Garfield and Friends, and it was several notches above Power Rangers. I knew it when I was 10.

Not really, no.

Also I doubt a movie reboot will happen. Saban is way cheap. They could make the first movie since that was probably the peak of it's popularity, today not so much.

If they put the first movie out on BR that'd be nice. I saw it on HBO a few months ago but it was forced 4:3.

WillyFive

Well, Sentai and PR suits are not meant to be realistic, they are just supposed to look good in motion.

Nolan's Batman movies however are definitely meant to be realistic.

People in colored spandex doing over-the-top martial arts while fighting monsters that look like traffic lights or mailboxes with giant robots doesn't really look goofy in the context of the show, because that's what the show is all about. If it looks goofy, then the show is doing a really bad job.

But a person might find Catwoman's or Bane's suits to be goofy in the context of the realistic world Nolan's movies try to imply, because stuff like that just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom