• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad Metal Gear Solid is

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never played the MGS series, so I decided to borrow a friend's PS3 and buy the MGS Legacy Collection. I didn't have much interest in the series before, but I've begun to love stealth games, and the series is so well received, it must be worth playing, right? I thought I would begin with Metal Gear Solid as I imagine the NES games are too frustrating to play in 2015.

I didn't expect much from a game that is 17 years old, but wow, this is without a doubt the worst game I have ever completed. Let me just list a few of the problems with this game:

1. Stealth. What happened here? There's no stealth in the last 75% of the game. It's just a ton of boss fights and forced shooting.

2. The controls. Okay, I expected there to be problems with the controls, but they're novelty bad. And the worst part is, the game insists on having you shoot enemies over and over again. The aiming is god awful; often I had no idea where my bullets were going.

3. The dialogue. Christ, what a disaster. I'm sure everyone who's played this knows what I mean, so I won't even go into detail here. The dialogue felt like it was written by a 15 year old virgin in an honors English class.

4. The story. Tons of revelations which have no impact because they are not connected to anything else in the game, a convoluted mix of betrayals which ultimately don't even affect the game play, and characters that you don't give a damn about.

5. Solid Snake. This must be the worst main character I can remember. His voice is ridiculous, but the real problem is that he is nothing like he should be. They say he is a combat legend who only cares about surviving, but then he falls in love with a girl he has know for all of 5 minutes. And at the end of the game, he is unable to pull the trigger at a critical moment.

So, having said all that, I still have the rest of the Legacy Collection. If I hated MGS this much, is there any point in playing the remaining games? MGS2, 3, and 4 have incredible reviews and have won many GOTY awards. But if they are like MGS, I don't want to waste my time. Should I continue on with the series?

Mesoian

giphy.gif

Fury451

Banned
No, you're probably going to hate the rest of the series.

Try MGS3, but if you don't like that, then there's something wrong with your taste because that game is a masterpiece.

If you think MGS is actually a straight bad game though...lol. You must not game much if this is the worst you've completed.

You're entitled to your opinion OP.

But Metal Gear Solid is one of the great games of all time. Yeah the controls are kind of wonky but the overall package is phenomenal. I'm sorry it didn't resonate with you

Soulflarz

Banned
Did....did you just call Hideo Kojima a "15 year old virgin in an honors English class"?

Look, I read through your post, and I just disagree.

Also, you shouldn't expect any real sympathy from those around you. There is a way to post that you don't like a popular game, and this isn't it. You're looking for "I really don't like MGS for these reasons, I dunno, am I missing something? You all love it to this day."

But uh...."MGS sucks" is just going to bait the uh...well yeah, see the rest of the thread.

I have to wonder when you started gaming. I mean, I can see someone finding MGS dated, but straight up bad? No.
And no, there's no point moving on to MGS 2.

SJRB

Gold Member
aJh8Afq.gif

OP is trolling, right? "disaster", "worst character", "characters you don't give a damn about", "dialogue felt like it was written by a 15 year old virgin in an honors English class", "without a doubt the worst game I have ever completed".

Is anyone supposed to take this seriously?

Unfortunate that you feel this way OP. I can sorta see where you're coming from (I completely disagree about the stealth though), but I don't think you're giving this game a fair shot. I played it for the first time last year and loved it, personally.

Either way, you'll probably feel differently about the rest of the series. They're all very different.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I love the game, but you should at least play the second game for at least the first 2 hours.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I felt the same way (never finished it). I enjoyed MGS2 and MGS3 but it was also difficult to get into the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom