• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I do not mind delays!

kingfey

Banned
from June 2021-June 2022 they have released a bunch, get over it.
Sadly he wont. He adamant on believing his lies.

We have a showcase out the corner in june 12th, which should tell us about this year. But him and his friends dont care about that.

They have to go for the old tactics of looking on the other console. There is no harm for them to wait for that event. After that, they can talk all the shit they want to say.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sadly he wont. He adamant on believing his lies.

We have a showcase out the corner in june 12th, which should tell us about this year. But him and his friends dont care about that.

They have to go for the old tactics of looking on the other console. There is no harm for them to wait for that event. After that, they can talk all the shit they want to say.
There was a 9 month gap between Ratchet and Horizon 2….

Glass houses man…

I've got a backlog about a half-mile long. Sure, Starfield's delay was disappointing, just as BOTW2's was, but it is what it is.

Might just fire up Cyberpunk now that it's fairly unfucked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What were Xbox first-party exclusives last year? Forza Horizon 5 was really good. Halo Infinite was a pretty big disappointment. There was Flight Simulator port that was already out well before last year on PC.

What am I missing? Games like Psychonauts 2 (good game) that I played on PlayStation?

PS5 had Kena Bridge of Spirits, Returnal (GOTY), Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Oddworld Soulstorm (free with PS+), Deathloop (lol) and Destruction All-Stars (disappointment, but decent and free on PS+). And if we are counting Psychonauts, let's add The Show.
Publisher of the year isnt the same as first party of the year thanks to both Sony and MS making games for each other and blurring the lines of what makes a first party publisher first party.

But in terms of publishing, it seems MS had a pretty decent year with Psychonauts (87% metacritic) , Halo (SP got a 87% metacritic) and FH5 (92% metacritic, highest rated game of the year, though i dont know why). Sony had Returnal (86%), Ratchet (88%) and MLB 21 (78% though im not sure why we would count yearly sports games). So MS wins on average.

Kena wasnt published by sony despite being an exclusive, same goes for Deathloop which wasnt published by MS either. It's was a Bethesda Works game.

I think MS won by a hair and while I am glad they finally won some GOTY awards for Forza and Halo just so I can stop bitching about them never winning goty, i think they were rewarded for shipping last gen games just like sony will be this year. Especially with starfield slipping. HFW and GOW will win lots of awards not going to elden rings, and everyone will proclaim sony as the publisher of the year even though they shipped 4 last gen game 2 years into the gen. I mean they didnt even bother updating the Show 2 years in a row. That game shouldnt even count, but people will count them and the pissing contents will continue on forums while everyone misses the bigger picture.

Publisher of the year isnt the same as first party of the year thanks to both Sony and MS making games for each other and blurring the lines of what makes a first party publisher first party.

But in terms of publishing, it seems MS had a pretty decent year with Psychonauts (87% metacritic) , Halo (SP got a 87% metacritic) and FH5 (92% metacritic, highest rated game of the year, though i dont know why). Sony had Returnal (86%), Ratchet (88%) and MLB 21 (78% though im not sure why we would count yearly sports games). So MS wins on average.

Kena wasnt published by sony despite being an exclusive, same goes for Deathloop which wasnt published by MS either. It's was a Bethesda Works game.

I think MS won by a hair and while I am glad they finally won some GOTY awards for Forza and Halo just so I can stop bitching about them never winning goty, i think they were rewarded for shipping last gen games just like sony will be this year. Especially with starfield slipping. HFW and GOW will win lots of awards not going to elden rings, and everyone will proclaim sony as the publisher of the year even though they shipped 4 last gen game 2 years into the gen. I mean they didnt even bother updating the Show 2 years in a row. That game shouldnt even count, but people will count them and the pissing contents will continue on forums while everyone misses the bigger picture.

Metacritic AVERAGE is a worthless stat. One publisher could publish three 95s, an 80 and a 70, while another publisher publishes one game at a 92, and would have a higher Metacritic average.

The number of GOOD games is all that matters. Bad or mediocre games are just easily ignored.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Who cares about delays when you know the game will be broken day one most of the time, specially on PC?

I just hate when a game is delayed several times like cyberpunk 2077. Just say "when its done" and call it a day.

Its basically what modern game development its all about these days. I learned to rely on my backlog more and more and be a patient gamer. You don't have to play the latest and greatest all the time. Playing games day one is by far the worst experience. I am still waiting for God of War PC port to be fully patched to buy/download.

If you are a PC gamer In average its better to wait 6 months to a year after a game is released to be purchased. You will get it discounted, in a much better state after its patched up and likely you will have better HW by then.

I learnt my lesson after buying SFV and Horizon Zero Dawn day one. Hopefully the system shock remake I preordered is well optimized at launch.

Better to great old games at a bargain bin price, play them with modern HW without any hassle. I just bought all the Dead Rising games, UMC3, and DMC4 Special Edition dirt cheap.

Last edited:
There was a 9 month gap between Ratchet and Horizon 2….

Glass houses man…

Yup and Sony got criticized for it, but they also had Deathloop as a signed deal and Kena. I realize both are not fully exclusive forever, but they were *something* in the latter half.

Sony also had Sifu, HFW, and GT7 all release in a fairly close window early this year.

Bottom line is they didn't have a huge 18 month gap

Warnen

Metacritic AVERAGE is a worthless stat. One publisher could publish three 95s, an 80 and a 70, while another publisher publishes one game at a 92, and would have a higher Metacritic average.

The number of GOOD games is all that matters. Bad or mediocre games are just easily ignored.

So no review averaging sites

A year isn’t a year to date or fiscal year just the calendar year

Keep At it warrior

SlimySnake

But in this scenario, both shipped three games and one simply had a higher average.

If Sony had a killer year like they usually do, no one is giving Microsoft the best publisher award but lets face it Returnal, Ratchet and MLB isnt exactly getting any panties wet. It's a 'good' year at best. They were my publisher of the year simply because they showed up with next gen games, but most people go by metacritic average and the fact remains MS had a higher average of the three games they shipped vs the three games Sony shipped.

SlimySnake

Yup and Sony got criticized for it, but they also had Deathloop as a signed deal and Kena. I realize both are not fully exclusive forever, but they were *something* in the latter half.

Sony also had Sifu, HFW, and GT7 all release in a fairly close window early this year.

Bottom line is they didn't have a huge 18 month gap
Dont give phil any ideas. He will go and sign a Tomb Raider style exclusive that will offer no real value to xbox owners and limit PS5 users a game they were counting on.

I can understand the argument that he shouldve planned for this delay or rather had a backup plan for the delay, but as I've said before, buying bethesda for starfield exclusivity WAS their contigency plan for 2022 because they knew all those CG games they showed in 2020 were not gonna make it in 2022. What's happened here is that his backup plan has failed.

I say just go and pay for cod on gamepass. guardians only cost $5 million. lets assume cod costs $100 million. add it to the $70 billion deal and make it $70.1 billion. there is nothing else coming out from third party devs. Avatar will get delayed. there is no AC. No watch dogs, no division, no far cry, no battlefield, no suicide squad. no one has any games ready for him to get on gamepass on day one. Japan is MIA. just buy cod a year early and hope Turn10 shows up in october. ending the year strong on 2 games will be almost like last year. almost.

Last edited:

Warnen

Got a feeling gonna be a lot of indie games on gamepass (better way to go then keeping them off ps5 really) for rest of year.

kingfey

Banned

Xbox timed exclusives in 2022 until now:​

• CrossfireX — February 10, 2022. (XSX|S, Xbox One)
  • Shredders — February 2022. (XSX|S)
  • Tunic — March 16, 2022. (XSX|S, Xbox One and PC)*
They already released these games as timed exclusives James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford .

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And how do you know nothing is being announced in a month at the showcase? That’s right, you don’t.
Ma man, I heard the same thing from Sony fans last year. They were convinced Sony would have something up their sleeves that they were just waiting on. I was called chicken little, told i was being a melodramatic cunt, and told to seek meds. Turns out it was wishful thinking just like you are displaying now.

I remember asking people who is due? Who would turn up at a moments notice with an AAA next gen game in 2021? Bend, ND, Kojima, and Sucker Punch were the only studios with unannounced games and they had just shipped a game 1-2 years before. Turns out they were all taking a sabbatical last year. Kena was their biggest holiday game. kena. a game made by 20 people in a garage.

So Im gonna ask you the same thing. Who is due to release an unannounced AAA next gen game in 2022? Why would MS announce 10 games with CG trailers in 2020 from virtually all of their studios, have NONE of them ready for release in 2022, and yet keep 2022 AAA next gen games a secret?

In the other thread, I bet that GOW gets delayed simply because i no longer have faith in Jimbo and Herman even though I see no reason why a straight sequel would take longer than 4.5 years. For that same reason, I am not putting my blind faith into Phil anymore. Yet I still conceded that Forza 8 could ship this year even though we have seen nothing from it since 2020. These guys SHOULD be able to ship a racing game in five fucking years. That's how much leeway im giving Microsoft. It sucks that you all think MS will right the ship in one month and blow us all away with new unannounced games for release in six months because they have done nothing to earn that faith.

best case scenario, they turn up with a huge new batch of games from the Zenimax acquisition. A Doom sequel. Wolfenstein 2 or Rage 2 might be ready for a reveal, but ready for a release? eh. took them 2 years to release deathloop and ghostwire after reveals. Maybe Arkhane was working on Prey 2 on the side? That could be ready for a reveal, but an immediate release? eh.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I wouldn't consider any of these to be projects people were hotly (or mildly) anticipating
They are something.
Stalker 2 and redfall left a huge void for this period. Not to mention, MS using E3 as their main source of announcements, you kinda get situation like this.

They need to reconsider their e3 approach, and make it like Sony.

When ever you have games, announce the event for these games. This way, you can keep in contact with the fans.

Until then, we will always have issues like these.

levyjl1988

Banned
Halo Infinite was delayed and the multiplayer ended up being shit. Remember when they announced Halo Reach and there were no delays and it felt complete at launch with no microtransactions. I miss those good old days.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Halo Infinite was delayed and the multiplayer ended up being shit. Remember when they announced Halo Reach and there were no delays and it felt complete at launch with no microtransactions. I miss those good old days.
Everyone misses those days.

I remember full games, with no mtx, cheat codes, and unlockable characters.

Robb

Gold Member
While I’d obviously prefer games releasing on time I can definitely understand why they wouldn’t. The annoying thing, to me, is when a game is delayed multiple times. I’d prefer if they’d just choose a longer delay in the first place instead.

GenericUser

I don't mind them either. We've seen a couple of desastrous launches over the past few years (cyberpunk and battlefield2042 come to mind) that showed me that waiting is better then buying a broken game for full price. As a gamer, it hurts me more seeing a potentially good game getting rushed and released broken and unfinished, then having to wait longer for the proper experience. It sucks waiting longer for starfield, sure, but delaying the game seems to be the best option they had.

Fredrik

The year is not done.
Its may, and people are acting like we are done with the year.
This is the same thing as 2021.
In 2021 we knew the second half of the year would be crazy. We had already seen some minor releases too.

If Microsoft is sitting silent now only to get an event with 2022 surprise releases they don’t know PR. Should’ve annonced some games the same day the Starfield delay was official and hyped up the June event for when we would see gameplay.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, it just shows how horribly ignorant you are of the gaming landscape.

You claim that we get AAA games maybe 1-2 times per year - which is simply not true. There is at least 1-2 massive AAA games releasing *every* month. AA is bigger than ever with nearly three times the amount of AA budget titles releasing each year than AAA. Indies are such a wide gamut of genres, stories, and themes that claiming they are "Depression simulators" shows you have zero clue what you are talking about.
It’s not the same as it used to be and I feel it. It’s dry season and I am not ignorant. I just am not interested in very mediocre niche games. The games you speak of as AA are not what I would expect. When I hear AA I think of singularity for example. Not some weird obscure stuff.

I play indie games too. Forgotten city is the best game of last year for me for a reason….
Look at 2011 releases and stop pretending it’s not 10% of that nowadays

Last edited:

Filben

I'm okay with that. My backlog's not gonna play itself. There is still enough (indie) games coming every fortnight it seems.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The issue is Microsoft has done this time after time where they rally behind one or two big games for their entire year. 2020 halo was going to be the only big game launching with their brand new console?

They have issues delivering consistency and quality. No one in here is saying Bethesda can't put out games? They literally did this year and last year. But when you look at Gamepass slate you have nothing thats a big deal to grab people.

And it's weird because last year they made deals for Outriders, MLB, and Back 4 blood, Destiny expansion.

2021 was pretty decent. But it was padded with deals since they were lacking. Where are those big deals this year? It's like there is no backup plan for first party.

we haven't had the showcase yet, if the showcase has not got any game slated for this year I will agree with you but at this point we don't know.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What were Xbox first-party exclusives last year? Forza Horizon 5 was really good. Halo Infinite was a pretty big disappointment. There was Flight Simulator port that was already out well before last year on PC.

What am I missing? Games like Psychonauts 2 (good game) that I played on PlayStation?

PS5 had Kena Bridge of Spirits, Returnal (GOTY), Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Oddworld Soulstorm (free with PS+), Deathloop (lol) and Destruction All-Stars (disappointment, but decent and free on PS+). And if we are counting Psychonauts, let's add The Show.

This year PlayStation has Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Simu, The Show, Forspoken, Ghostwire Tokyo (lol), Babylon's Fall (nevermind, pretend I didn't say that one), God of War Ragnarok and hopefully Final Fantasy XVI. While Xbox has..... timed exclusivity for two indie games?

how are you including final fantasy when that's not made by Sony?

Dude, the only one who is crying is you guys. No one is trying to damage control here.

Everyone knew what 2021 was. 7 months dry, before MS announced all their 2021 games on June e3.

People who were crying about xbox not having anything where shut down by that event.

So if you have any concern, wait for this upcoming showcase. Because you will get the games from that show.

If you don't care about it. Then continue to whine it here like kids.

Because we're sick of you guys doing this shit every time, there is an issue like this.
Dude, you've been doing nothing BUT damage control ever since the Bethesda announcement. You have said that you're upset about the delay. I'm not upset by it! I'm just annoyed that the year is going to go by without any major Xbox release, and we've got people making comments like "Oh, but they added Tunic to Game Pass!", as if a handful of indies is supposed to fill the gap.
I am not "doing this shit", you are! You don't seem to realize that you personally have been the biggest cause of uproar on this forum over the past week.

Last edited:
They are something.
Stalker 2 and redfall left a huge void for this period. Not to mention, MS using E3 as their main source of announcements, you kinda get situation like this.

They need to reconsider their e3 approach, and make it like Sony.

When ever you have games, announce the event for these games. This way, you can keep in contact with the fans.

Until then, we will always have issues like these.
Guy, acting like small indies somehow matter to the conversation is just silly. Tunic is a timed exclusive! Wow. So since Sifu is also timed for Sony, does that move anyone's needle? Is anyone rushing to grab a PS5 to play Sifu? Nope. So don't try to act like the games you just listed somehow move the needle for Xbox. They don't.
It is so obvious that the person you are trying hardest to convince is yourself. You are grasping at a lot of straws. You've now convinced yourself that Xbox has some magical unannounced games to reveal in 3 weeks, despite the fact that they have a history of never doing that, and they DO have a history of announcing all of their games years before launch. Wishful thinking doesn't make games appear out of thin air. Sorry, but there is literally no evidence that points to a major 2022 reveal coming from Microsoft. This isn't hard

cireza

Nothing could release for an entire year I wouldn't care. There are thousands of games to play...

Last edited:

DinoD

"Oh! Phil what are we going to do? There are no exclusive games from MS stable this year!" Phil. Pausing a moment to think (rubbing his eyebrow). "Do what we did last few times. Purchase another big publisher and promise more games coming down the line". Crisis averted! :D

kingfey

Banned
Dude, you've been doing nothing BUT damage control ever since the Bethesda announcement. You have said that you're upset about the delay. I'm not upset by it! I'm just annoyed that the year is going to go by without any major Xbox release, and we've got people making comments like "Oh, but they added Tunic to Game Pass!", as if a handful of indies is supposed to fill the gap.
I am not "doing this shit", you are! You don't seem to realize that you personally have been the biggest cause of uproar on this forum over the past week.
That timed exclusives is the same timed exclusives which Sony released. They are timed. Not 1st party games.

And as for your concerns

Anything that you have would be answered by this event. Wait for it. Only 26 days left.

Anyone that is arguing now, without waiting for this event is arguing in bad faith.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
In 2021 we knew the second half of the year would be crazy. We had already seen some minor releases too.

If Microsoft is sitting silent now only to get an event with 2022 surprise releases they don’t know PR. Should’ve annonced some games the same day the Starfield delay was official and hyped up the June event for when we would see gameplay.
That starfield delay overshadowed everything. Releasing trailer at that time is ineffective, due to starfield outrage.

Plus don't they announce their games on e3?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I didn't mind delays in 360 era. So many games releasing EACH MONTH.
Now we get big AAA games maybe.... 1 or 2 per year if that? AA no longer exists and Indie games are depression simulators 90% of the time.
Look at 2007 and especially 2011. This ain't happening again
Yup, this. The problem is not that these huge games get delayed but that linear AAA games are a dying breed. And I only see this becoming worse in the future. See Elden Ring. With these sales I can fully see From completely focing on Open World and ditching their more linear game structure.of the past That means far less games from them.

Real shame. I'd rather have devs shove out shorter games every 2-3 years made by less people insteafo these HUGE games every 4-6 years that are made by legions of devs.

I hope I'm wrong, but going forward I can fully see most devs focuing on 1-2 big tenpole releases every generation and then making money with those through MTX. And inbetween you have nothing except indies.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
we haven't had the showcase yet, if the showcase has not got any game slated for this year I will agree with you but at this point we don't know.

So again I’ll ask first half of the year doesn’t matter? So as long as the release 1 or 2 big games by end of year that’s ok to you?

Same song and dance by the same apologists.

This is why Xbox has taken an entire gen to try and change. People don’t ask more of them.

Fredrik

That starfield delay overshadowed everything. Releasing trailer at that time is ineffective, due to starfield outrage.

Plus don't they announce their games on e3?
They rarely announce games in the summer for release the same year. They did that with Forza Horizon 5 and it was a big deal but already rumoured. What’s rumoured at this point besides FM8?

kingfey

Banned
So again I’ll ask first half of the year doesn’t matter? So as long as the release 1 or 2 big games by end of year that’s ok to you?

This is why Xbox has taken an entire gen to try and change. People don’t ask more of them.
The games that were supposed to release, were delayed.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They rarely announce games in the summer for release the same year. They did that with Forza Horizon 5 and it was a big deal but already rumoured. What’s rumoured at this point besides FM8?
We have no idea, which is why we are waiting for this showcase.

mejin

There is another problem. There are no guarantees MS games will be great. They can be delayed and still launches as a mediocre game or with lack of content.

Anyway, believe in Phil Spencer. E3 is coming.

GymWolf

Yeah i don't mind delays neither.

I guess it is easier when you play indies and AA other than just only waiting for big AAA.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Coarse i want more. You also have to realise is that the competition only had games beginning of the year because of delays also. God of war was delayed from last year, gran Turismo was delayed from last year. Its a thing that is happening in the industry regularly and not just to Microsoft. Sony have had a great start to the year and some good game son my ps4 but lets remember they didn’t have a great end to last year. This is being blown way bigger than it is.

with the purchase of the new studios they will get into a position were they can get a major game out every 3-4 months no problem.

Things will happen.

Neogaf didn't care in the slightest when Sony had nothing last fall, but Xbox having nothing this Spring is absolutely terrible? Also once again, if Xbox had delayed Halo Infinite until January 1st (less than a month) they would fulfill the magical "Spring 2022" game, and at that point there would just be another nonsensical argument against Xbox for the Sony loyalists to rally around

Fredrik

We have no idea, which is why we are waiting for this showcase.
I don’t want to be a party pooper but I just find it unlikely that they’ll unveil any unknown big 2022 releases on that event. I think FM8 could get a 2022 release date though, already announced and Turn 10 have been quiet for some time now and might want to repeat what Playground did last year.

Top Bottom