• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what you've heard, watched or read. PLAY DARK SOULS 2 before you die

ajb1888

Banned
Hello GAF

Whether or not you are a Souls fanatic.

Whether or not you typically enjoy RPG's.

Whether or not you prefer (the awesome) Bloodborne or some traits in other souls games.

Whether or not (insert reason)

Play Dark Souls 2, preferably Scholar of the First Sin edition as it comes with all its Fantastic DLC bundled automatically.

Dark Souls II is truly one of the greatest experiences you may ever have!! :D

The game is massive, the build variety and replayability is UNPARALLELED.
Enjoy EXPLORING a vast array of environments filled with DANGER at every turn! Discover secrets (sooo many secrets), experiment with TONS of playstyles and methods available to playing the game.

Enjoy the BEST hub/home environment in Majula. Let the hauntingly beautiful score soothe you as you level up (tip: level adaptability) improve your equipment, and praise the sun.

Enjoy the BEST Covenants in the series!
Covenents that add even more Zones and Bosses!
Covenants that add MORE modes of Difficulty to the game! Its all here

If you like PVP you will find the best in the series here, by far. FASHION SOULS is in too form also as you have soooo many fun options to customize your chosen undead :D

Is the game perfect? No game is perfect.
Is the game fun? HELL YEAH
Is it worth checking out? Why are you still reading?? Go get Dark Souls II and enjoy a journey that may well suck hundreds of hours of your gaming life! Hahaha

Pro tip: Don't give up, Skeleton!

:D

GHG

I hated it at first but then grew to love it.

I agree, it's a must play and has the best build variety and PVP of the series.

I loved it up until the huntsman area. Bosses were cake but holy crap the mobs and layout was annoying. Haven't played since. Picking it back up soon.

Ahasverus

Only Souls game I've played and beaten. I loved it, felt like an epic journey.

Tried to play 1 but couldn't deal with the bad graphics, muddy visuals and clunky controls.

I have Bloodborne and will play it, some day.

Matty77

I have tried multiple times and I just don't like it much, even my recent replay I only made it to lost Bastille before going back to Bloodborne.

I don't think it's the shit game some do but it's not for me.

Luigiv

Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

hotcyder

Well I was going to walk the Great Wall of China or see the Pyramids of Giza but sure - I guess I'll play the not-good Dark Souls game instead

(I already have and I don't like it as much as 1 - haven't touched 3, Demons or BB)

Aomber

Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

Yeah this is exactly how I felt when I played Dark Souls 2. It's not a bad game, but it's a bad Souls game, there's just better options to spend however many dozens of hours for that type of game.

Definitely. It's the worst souls game, but still better than many other games on the market.

A lot of the armour looked better in DS2 too imo, in some cases in 3 it's as if they added armour sets without adjusting for PBR correctly.

AALLx

Meh.

Replace the title with Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne and I'd agree.

Dark Souls II is... ehhh. I could have lived my life without playing it. The only value in having played it is so that I can tell people that it isn't up there with the other Miyazaki games.

dugdug

Banned
Even a bad Souls game is still good, and, DS2 is proof. I still enjoy it, but, it's by far the worst of the series.

jimboton

Agreed, when all's said and done, it's the second best soulsborne game ever made. What it lacks in interconnected and cohesive world design it makes up in variety and length.

KodaRuss

It was my first souls game so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Majula was a great hub world and the music was fantastic.

Darklurkker can F off forever (Took me 30 or so tries, wasted almost all of my resources to get to him).

DorkyMohr

Banned
I've heard Scholar of the First Sin improves a lot but I still have no love for the way that world is laid out. Sorry Dark Souls 2. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Bedlam

Great HUB. Other than that it's not a great Souls game. To the contrary! Considering all its unique strenghts and weaknesses, overall it's by far the weakest game in the series.

Don't listen to the OP, people. In this case, the majority consensus is correct.

I find the Souls game and gameplay boring. It's just the same "wait for the enemy to start it's attack, dodge or block and counter" I could never get into them. I gave them multiple tries but the animation always felt like I was stuck in molasses. Bloodborne's setting and the fluidity of motion did seem much better but I'm so burnt out on every game trying to be "Souls like" and them all suffering from boring settings and gameplay and another Souls game being a year or two out that I've burnt out on even caring about the series

Catvoca

Banned
Dark souls 2 is great, it's my second favourite after the first one. Certainly a game to play yourself and make up your own mind about.

Marcel

I don't like Dark Souls 2 but the dull ass boss music is the worst offender of this divisive game and the Flexile Sentry is one of the worst pieces I've heard in any modern game period.

I don't like Dark Souls 2 but the dull ass boss music is the worst offender of this divisive game and the Flexile Sentry is one of the worst pieces I've heard in any modern game period.

Does this piece of shit really deserve any better tho?

latest

What a damn joke boss. There's just way too many joke bosses in DS2.

Davey Cakes

If DS2 was bad I wouldn't still be playing it at 150 hours, after considering DS1 to be one of the best games of all time.

To be honest I can't believe I'm still chipping away at it. The first really difficult area for me (No Man's Wharf) seems like ages ago at this point.

I kind of wish I could put it down for good but I just won't be satisfied until I get this damn DLC done. It's one part obligation but another part legitimate enjoyment. A bit of a slow crawl with bullshit like Frigid Outskirts but I'm getting there.

Courage

I think I might like 2 more than 3. It's the roughest Souls game but it has some of the highest highs in the series.

AALLx

Arguing that build variety and equipment count is what makes Dark Souls II better than other Soulsborne is like arguing that having 10 instant cup noodles of different powdered flavorings is better than having a single ramen served from a ramen specialty store.

Sure you have more of "that thing", but at the end of the day "that thing" isn't as good, feels like cheap imitation, and not that different from each other anyway.

Mareg

I've tried multiple times. I've tried real hard.
I just don't understand that game or it's appeal.
Burn me on the NeoGAF cross if you want.
I just get lost in this game. And if you lose me, I'm not caring anymore. I need some sort of direction or scripted depth. It too sandboxy for my tastes.

Top Bottom