• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dont think Godfather 2 is that good.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It definitely has its moments. "I know it was you" was heartbreaking. But indefinitely doesnt hold up as much as 1 does.

The Vito subplot didn't work for me. Doesn't really add anything to the story, at least for me. It's half the movie, but it feels extraneous.

It kind of ruins Michael's character. The first movie portrays Michael as a smart dude and good leader. But here, he just fails over and over. And maybe that's the point, that it's supposed to be ablut his fall or something. But when compared to hos dad, he seems incompetent.

In that regard, it also suffers from too much focus on Michael. He was definitely the focus of the first movie, but it was much more of an ensemble movie. They could have still spent more time with the other family members. Poor Robert Duvall barely gets anything to do in this movie, when he was low key the best part of 2.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

I find the second one more entertaining. I especially like the serialized version, which separates the dull romanticized past and interesting uncertain future into separate segments. I understand that the original cut is about comparing the struggles of the father and the son as they take on the world, but I hate how it breaks momentum for each continuity.

My favorite part of it is Cuba and Vegas history being incorporated into the plot as well as family tensions. The first film was putting a lot of things on a pedastil, whereas this one is more honest about the characters and the world they live in.

P.S. If anything Michael's journey is more difficult as he has to maneuver around time-tested organized crime heirarchies and new markets whereas his father dealt with narcistic amateurs and established markets. Not to mention treachery.

P.S.S. I am still dissapointed about Fredo's fate.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The first movie is by far the best.

The second is great, but it's also made for idiots. It's like the Fast and the Furious version of Godfather, made for people who get bored of intellectual stimulation because they got no intellect.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I haven't seen three. I've heard it's awful, so I've kept away.

I guess that makes my opinion incomplete but I don't care.
No you are allowed not to like what you don't like. Just never heard anyone actually preferring 3 over any of the others.

DKehoe

I've tried to watch Coda twice now, but it's such a slog I end up quitting around 40 minutes in.
That's what I figured. In the lead up to it being released it was being positioned as being radically different and that it was Coppola and Puzo's real vision and meant that it could stand alongside the first two. But from what I heard it's really not a meaningful upgrade.

lachesis

Actually, I thought Vito's story carried the whole movie. At least that was the part that I was so impressed and remembered, not the Michael's for me.

Perhaps because Michael's story arc, was completed rather satisfactory ending by God Father 1. I would have been okay if there was any God Father 3 in hind sight. However, I am pretty much saying it from vague memory, because it's been quite some time since I've watched the trilogy.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Both are incredible. I wouldn't say one is far better than the other.

Godfather 3 on the other hand.......I think we can all agree that was well below the quality of the first 2.

Godfather 1 is truly one of the best movies ever made and is better than 2. Godfather 2 also being fantastic is a miracle because the creators of 1 never wanted a sequel and were essentially money whipped by Hollywood execs into making it.

nkarafo

I'm so glad directors did this. Just the two alien films. Three predator films. One, two and prey. Two robocops and two terminator films.

There's only one Predator film. I think i dreamed of a second one but i forgot about it. So i don't know what you are talking about.

ClosBSAS

Man, never have I ever read such a wrong opinion, holy shit. Godfather 1 doesn't hold a candle to 2. 3 is trash, skip it.

Top Bottom