• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Inception is both Nolan and Leo's best film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Nolan, probably.
Leo, no - that's Catch Me If You Can.

ShutterMunster

Not Nolan's best, but probably his most ambitious creatively. Memento and The Prestige are both better movies than Inception. It's not Leo's best either, but I enjoy it more than the lions share of his back catalog.

HarryKS

The action scenes were deplorable.

His most accomplished oeuvre is still The Prestige.

Di Caprio's best work was What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

LosDaddie

Banned
My comics bias probably prevents me from seeing any movie other than Dark Knight as Nolan's best movie. It's such a perfect "grounded" take on Batman.

Wolf of Wallstreet is Leo's best movie. I loved every second of it.

inm8num2

Very hard for me to rank Nolan's films. I love them all for different reasons.

I think Leo's best is The Aviator, but the guy knocks it out of the park in everything he does.

PillarEN

No way for Leo.

The Aviator, Titanic (shut up I love this film), Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Django Unchained were stronger to me.

But really for Nolan I have to go with Momento or The Dark Knight. Though I do think Inception is a strong offering from him.

opoth

Banned
I can't take Nolan seriously any more after TDKR. Shame on him for inserting his politics into the film and telling me how I should feel. Memento, The Prestige and TDK are all classics but I'll never see another Nolan film.

It was really entertaining, but a lot of it consists of explaining how the film's universe works and that really long multi-level action dream sequence which was cooler as concept that it is to follow/watch. It was fascinating the first time, but loses luster right after that.

Daft_Cat

How are people saying TDK is better then Memento? That's crazy.

How? Personal preference, I guess... but admittedly, those probably are his two watershed films. As far as "pretty fucking great" American movies from the past couple decades go, it's certainly not crazy for TDK to be in the same conversation as Memento.

SomTervo

The film is such a clusterfuck of bad pacing and constant exposition I couldn't possibly say yes.

Great ideas, great acting, executed horribly for the most part.

And I prefer Leo in other films. Thought he was better in Django for a start.

ryseing

How are people saying TDK is better then Memento? That's crazy.

Especially with how badly TDK's third act falls apart.

I recently watched TDK and I encourage all its defenders to do the same. Above average movie for the first 2/3 and the opening is spectacular. But that last act is indefensibly bad. Felt like an entirely different movie.

lol i will never understand the love Prestiege gets on this board. It;s easily his worst movie. Simple story with one of the lamest twists ever. The characters are all unlikeable and made the movie a chore to sit through. The soundtrack didnt do anything for me either, and looking at the lack of ost tracks on youtube, no one else cared for it either.

And here is the biggest reason I dont care for it, it's a very non-Nolan movie. It could've been directed by some no name actor and you wouldnt have known. This movie has absolutely no redeeming qualities other than David Bowie's cameo as Tesla. It's just so boring.

People like Prestige precisely because it's grounded. It asks a universal question (what lengths would you go to in order to beat your rival?) and takes the answer to that question to some interesting places.

The Beard

I love how Nolan handled the effects, and how he made the dream sequences subtle and believable. In the hands of many other directors out there, this movie would've just been a soulless tech demo, with ridiculously over the top dream sequences.

fatchris

The best Nolan is still The Prestige. My ranking :

1 - The Prestige
2 - The Dark Knight
3 - Interstellar
4 - Memento
5 - Batman Begins
6 - Inception
7 -
99 - The Dark Knight Rises.

I liked Inception at first, but it didn't hold a second viewing.

My man.

Inception's exposition and cardboard cutout characters just don't stand repeated viewing. I loved the hype and the spectacle of watching it the first time though.

Daft_Cat

I recently watched TDK and I encourage all its defenders to do the same. Above average movie for the first 2/3 and the opening is spectacular. But that last act is indefensibly bad. Felt like an entirely different movie.

Since I'm like the only other poster who responded, I'll bite. Are you referring to the GPS vision (which is really only used in a single fight scene that lasts less than five minutes)? Or are you also talking about the social experiment on the boats, and the standoff between Dent and Gordon?

Either way, 'indefensibly bad' is a sort of laughable overstatement, to be honest. TDK's final act is varied and ambitious... and wholly successful or not, I'd argue said ambition elevates it above the dozens of copy-and-paste "brawler" finales that accompany the majority of Hollywood blockbusters.

...And I watched the film last week.

The Beard

I had the opportunity to watch either The Prestige or Insomnia and I chose the latter because the name made it sound like a horror movie.

One of my biggest mistakes.

I do plan on watching Prestige soon, though!

Hopefully you'll be able to recover from that huge mistake.

Insomnia was a solid movie. I haven't seen The Prestige yet either. I don't like Hugh Jackman, but I've heard enough good things about the movie to give a shot.

Rktk

Inception was good I would rewatch it some time, I don't think it was his best, personally I'd say Memento.

Completely agree, the movie falls apart at the end, exploding barrels appearing everywhere, a simplistic in-your-face moral dilemma, an unbelievable turn from Dent to Two-Face.

The dream sequences are really beautifully done. I love how they aren't TOO outlandish but just a bit off the way a lot of dreams in real life that you remember when you wake up feel like.

Those dream sequences really rang true to me. I can't think of another movie that, for me, nails the way dreams feel quite the way Inception does.

hydruxo

Top 3 for Nolan. I'd put Memento and The Prestige above Inception though. For me, The Prestige is his best.

For Leo though? Not even one of his best performances, he wasn't all that memorable in Inception.

ItIsOkBro

The way it took actual dream phenomena like lucid dreaming, dreams within dreams, waking up with a kick etc, got it so right with the depictions, and appropriated it into a dream adventure reverse mental bank robbery makes Inception one of my all time favorite movies. As someone with an interest in dreams Inception will stand the test of time for me as Nolan's best.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nah The Prestige is Nolan's best by a wide margin.

For Leo probably Catch Me If You Can or The Wolf of Wall Street. I prefer the latter.

Just the soundtrack alone puts Inception up there as one of Nolan's best. Of course Memento is a better concept and script, but it's really like the polar opposite of Inception when it comes to production value.

PreFire

Leo is amazing in all of his movies, IMO. Departed was one of my favorite performances from him

As for Nolan, I liked Interstellar more. Can't stand his batman movies because of Bale's batvoice. If he let that shit slide...

lol i will never understand the love Prestiege gets on this board. It;s easily his worst movie. Simple story with one of the lamest twists ever. The characters are all unlikeable and made the movie a chore to sit through. The soundtrack didnt do anything for me either, and looking at the lack of ost tracks on youtube, no one else cared for it either.

And here is the biggest reason I dont care for it, it's a very non-Nolan movie. It could've been directed by some no name actor and you wouldnt have known. This movie has absolutely no redeeming qualities other than David Bowie's cameo as Tesla. It's just so boring.

Lots of what you list is what I like most about it

The characters are not supposed to be likeable at all. The film is an illustration as to how far people will go and sacrifice for revenge or for success and their dreams and how it can destroy their lives

The story is much smaller and tighter than so many big budget films now days. Its about a specific scenario between this small group of people not "the world must be saved"

richsena

Banned
It's definitely my favorite Nolan film. The theater experience was spectacular and it's one of the few movies I don't mind watching multiple times. Storytelling, world building, and cinematography are great.

As for Leo goes, Dom Cobb simply isn't enough of a compelling character for me. Prefer Leo in "Catch Me If You Can" or maybe even "Django Unchained."

The Hermit

Will probably rematch Prestige this week for Bowie. He does the greatest cameos.

He was freaking Tesla. How awesome is that?

DiCaprio has a bunch of better movies and my fav Nolan movie is this one:

wolverine-batmen-illusion.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I wanted inception to be amazing. Was a huge jgl fan and I've always wanted some sort of movie made about lucid dreams. It was OK

Not sure about Leo's best(probably Titanic or The Departed), but Nolan's best film is Memento,followed by Insomnia. Everything he made after those two films is pretentious garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom