• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got banned from PSN and I need help!

Hey Gaf, long term lurker here with a problem. Tuesday night I found out that I had been banned from PSN for reversing charges. My credit card company called me saying that there was suspicious activity on my account from PlayStation. This seemed weird to me because I have bought plenty from PSN to where they should know that it is me making the purchase. Anyway, they informed me that there were TWO charges of $5.00 on my card and I told them that there should only be ONE charge.

For some more info, I had made three total purchases in two days. Two small packs of death metals in Let it Die, one for 0.99 and one for $5.00. The last purchase was for Ni-Oh for $59.99 and I had plenty of money on my credit card to make all three purchases and I confirmed each purchase to my CC assuming it would charge my card correctly and pay the full amount. Well I guess Sony did not like this reverse charge even though I only reversed the second charge which was a mistake regardless. As soon as I realized I was banned I called customer support and they instructed me to purchase a PSN card from Amazon and give them the card number over the phone to have my account restored and get rid of the negative balance on my account.

I did exactly as instructed and called back with the PSN code within 10 minutes, waiting another 25 minutes on hold after waiting for 45 initially. The rep stated that he could not stay on the phone with me while I quickly purchased the card and give him the number. Since that night where I followed their instructions I have not received any emails stating that I have been offically banned or for how long. I have been calling them to try and get this removed but last night I was flat out denied when I asked to speak to someone higher.

I have been a Sony fan and specifically a PlayStation fan for a long time and this is my first ban. It has been a nightmare. I was doing some research and came across an old thread where a Gaffer was banned and some fine folks from this community and specifically some folks from the MVP program, which I found out was removed, but it seemed like he was able to resolve his issue. Anyone else have any experience with being banned for a reversed charge? How long was the ban? Can ANYONE on here help me? I was given some advice to go to the official PlayStation forums and ask a mod on there for help but I can't even log in to make a post! I really feel like this ban is never gonna end and what if they just keep me banned for months? What recourse do I have other than contacting the BBB? I really feel like this won't accomplish very much but I know the Gaf pool runs deep and theres a ton of knowledge on this forum.

I am more than willing to PM anyone with more details such as PSN name, email, and case number. I really don't know where to turn at this point, so I am turning to my GAF buddies. I lurk so much that I feel a connection with this forum and I am always shocked to see the generosity and level of commitment to help those in need from Gaming to the mental health thread. We are all in this together and in these tough times I would just like to play some Ni-Oh. I really did not do anything malicious or on purpose . Help me Gaf, your my only hope.

TLDR; I got banned from PSN. Can anyone help me? PM if your generous soul is feeling...generous.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The $5 minimum wallet amount from CC bullshit that Sony pulls made you think it was fraud.

Amazing.

sephi22

It wouldn't hurt tweeting a link to this thread to @yosp, @Askplaystation or other sony reps.

I read FlyinJ's comment and re-read the OP and it seems like that's what happened.
$5 charged from your card to your PSN wallet for the $0.99 pack, leaving $4. Then another $5 funded as that's the minimum, for the $5 pack, leaving another $4. Then, you probably got charged $56 for Ni-Oh.

That's why I like to add all my shit at once to the cart before purchase. I hate the minimum fund bs. It isn't as much Sony's fault more yours since you mistook the minimum funding as a bad charge. From Sony's POV I can see why they banned you, but there's no excuse for it to remain this way now that the misunderstanding has been cleared. Sony support really is ass

Jafku

Unfortunately you should've contacted Sony before reversing the charge. At this point the only thing you can do is keep contacting them.

Edit: SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat

Ahhhh the promise of a digital future! You must agree to any and every charge or they lock you out. They hold the keys, you hold the wallet, do the math.

Kiss that account goodbye.

J3ffro

Why is this still a thing in the US?

I can purchase 39p avatars straight from my CC. Makes no sense for it to differ in another region.

Typically billing practices is the named culprit. If a purchase is below a certain threshold, vendors actually lose money by making a sale since they have to pay X amount for credit card processing and the purchase doesn't cover it. I briefly worked for an online retailer and dealt with some of that stuff, and whole our lowest priced item was high enough that situation couldn't happen to us, the logic is there.

Zarth

This should get cleared up if you took the account to a positive balance.

Never CB a card without calling the company first and verifying your own charges. CBs are meant to be final solutions when the company and the consumer cannot reach a solution.

yyr

Why is this still a thing in the US?

I can purchase 39p avatars straight from my CC. Makes no sense for it to differ in another region.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the US, the fee that a merchant has to pay the CC company is generally a small set amount PLUS a percentage. So if someone charges, say, $1, the fee eats a significant portion of that. This is a real problem if you're running a marketplace and have to then pass that money on to someone else.

To have a minimum is frowned upon by the CC companies (obviously) but totally makes sense from a merchant's standpoint. Looking at a minimum, a potential customer might say "I'll take my business elsewhere!" but the merchant's reply will be "good!"

BibiMaghoo

I thought chargeback bans were permanent, so if they offered to let you clear the balance and restore it, should be all good.

It wouldn't hurt tweeting a link to this thread to @yosp, @Askplaystation or other sony reps.

I read FlyinJ's comment and re-read the OP and it seems like that's what happened.
$5 charged from your card to your PSN wallet for the $0.99 pack, leaving $4. Then another $5 funded as that's the minimum, for the $5 pack, leaving another $4. Then, you probably got charged $56 for Ni-Oh.

That's why I like to add all my shit at once to the cart before purchase. I hate the minimum fund bs. It isn't as much Sony's fault more yours since you mistook the minimum funding as a bad charge. From Sony's POV I can see why they banned you, but there's no excuse for it to remain this way now that the misunderstanding has been cleared. Sony support really is ass

My god, you hit it right on the head with this. I don't have twitter. Does anyone feel like being a white knight and tweeting someone about this? In retrospect, I'm even more mad and I was not sure exactly whey I was even banned but wouldn't you know GAF has it down. I am chatting with customer support now and they told me that a chargeback will result in a ban until the debt it paid. I paid it back the very same night and I have this whole convo with the rep saved.

This is what happened and how you got two $5 charges. So it was correct, but it sucks that it wasn't made obvious to you at the time so you didn't realize it. Hopefully it gets straightened up.

TalonJH

I thought chargeback bans were permanent, so if they offered to let you clear the balance and restore it, should be all good.

Yeah, once he pays it back it should be fine but I would expect it to take a little time to clear. I'm not quite clear on if he got through to give them the code though.

Jafku

My god, you hit it right on the head with this. I don't have twitter. Does anyone feel like being a white knight and tweeting someone about this? In retrospect, I'm even more mad and I was not sure exactly whey I was even banned but wouldn't you know GAF has it down. I am chatting with customer support now and they told me that a chargeback will result in a ban until the debt it paid. I paid it back the very same night and I have this whole convo with the rep saved.

Sent a tweet for you
https://twitter.com/Jakfu/status/830165938620211201

Zarth

Generally they let you bring the account back to normal status if the CBs weren't larger than the maximum wallet size (something like $150 US)

If you CB a significant amount they won't talk to you about it.

opricnik

Banned
Get your money back then sell playstation products and never look back tbh. There are more games on other platforms that doesnt let you deal with these kind of treatment

As a general rule of thumb do not resort to a chargeback unless you are ready to stop doing business entirely with a store/company.

Hopefully you can get this sorted though.

TalonJH

Ahh, don't worry, you'll get your account back. Make sure you answer Neuro.

With all the PSN horror threads on here people should know there are two simple rules:

1: Set up 2FA
2: Never chargeback

I would add a third, NEVER tie your credit card or paypal to PSN/xbox/steam/Nintendo. Only use wallet cards you buy from amazon, best buy, gamestop, etc so that way if someone does hack into your account you can never be ripped off for unlimited money, and you don't really run the risk of chargebacks and bans.

Jafku

I would add a third, NEVER tie your credit card or paypal to PSN/xbox/steam/Nintendo. Only use wallet cards you buy from amazon, best buy, gamestop, etc so that way if someone does hack into your account you can never be ripped off for unlimited money, and you don't really run the risk of chargebacks and bans.

Second this recommendation. After the 2011 fiasco I only buy cards

notacat

Hope you're able to resolve this with them.

Hope other Neogaffers bragging about their all-digital collection take note. If something happens, suddenly, potentially, you can't play anything on your entire library.

A lot of big companies, Sony included, tend to say, "too bad" in these cases. You're left with the option of repurchasing everything you've already purchased if you want access to your content again.

That is not a good situation to be in.

Tecnniqe

Banned
When have steam or Xbox had issues with CC and PayPal?

Sony is the only one of the 3 that makes you fund $5 minimum. I've spent less than a dollar on wii u and xbox and only spent what I paid. They obviously see the fee they get charged as a cost of doing business, maybe someday Sony will too. It has stopped me from purchasing quite a few cheaper items. "ehhhh I'll throw it in the cart with a bigger purchase" *never bothers to*

Sony is the only one of the 3 that makes you fund $5 minimum. I've spent less than a dollar on wii u and xbox and only spent what I paid. They obviously see the fee they get charged as a cost of doing business, maybe someday Sony will too. It has stopped me from purchasing quite a few cheaper items. "ehhhh I'll throw it in the cart with a bigger purchase" *never bothers to*

Does MS still do that points thing where you end up with leftovers easily?

yyr

Unfortunately, they got rid of points. Now we can't get them on sale any more. =(

Everything is real money amounts now. If there is a minimum I've never seen it; I honestly can't recall buying anything on Xbox for under $5 anytime recently.

When have steam or Xbox had issues with CC and PayPal?

They haven't to my knowledge. That's why, despite going with only prepaid for Sony now, I've had a CC on my Xbox account for 10+ years now. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately, they got rid of points. Now we can't get them on sale any more. =(

Everything is real money amounts now. If there is a minimum I've never seen it; I honestly can't recall buying anything on Xbox for under $5 anytime recently.

You can still get cards at a discount even though it's currency based.

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who has already tweeted or done ANYTHING to make this situation a bit more visible. I don't have twitter myself but I say lets make this injustice undone and not just for me but for everyone who has had their account banned for a similar petty reason! I will stay in communication with anyone who posts or PMs and could help on twitter or on the official PlayStation forums. I myself have little power to do anything but us as a community of gamers, we have all the power! I have already PM'd Neuromancer who in the past has helped someone else so cheers to him, but if anyone else could help I would greatly appreciate it!

antibolo

Banned
Stop treating chargebacks as some sort of money back warranty. They exist as a last resort for situations where you are 100% certain to be a victim of fraud.

A chargeback carries a heavy penalty on the merchant side, and many companies will respond to it in a serious manner, not just Sony.

Stop treating chargebacks as some sort of money back warranty. They exist as a last resort for situations where you are 100% certain to be a victim of fraud.

A chargeback carries a heavy penalty on the merchant side, and many companies will deal with it accordingly, not just Sony.

I only even did the chargeback because they told me there were TWO $5.00 charges and I only reversed the one. It even showed two charges on my credit card app. That's what makes this situation even more frustrating. I was not trying to reverse anything, I just thought that either Sony or my cc had made a mistake and did a double charge.

Kremzeek

Ahhhh the promise of a digital future! You must agree to any and every charge or they lock you out. They hold the keys, you hold the wallet, do the math.

Kiss that account goodbye.

all-digital future indeed.

where consumers have no rights or recourse.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yea you shouldn't do a charge back on PSN, or really anywhere unless you believe it to be fraud. You should always contact the company who made the mistake first beforehand, doing this would have revealed the £5 min charge and saved you a bit of hassle.

Second this recommendation. After the 2011 fiasco I only buy cards

To note, I don't believe there were any cases of any card info getting out or leading to people getting money taken from their accounts. Everyone's card info was perfectly safe during the whole thing because it was all properly encrypted.

You should however do so if you think there's a risk that your account can be compromised. As many threads on here have shown while people aren't getting "hacked" in any of these instances they are getting their accounts taken and money stolen because someone is getting ahold of their passwords through other means.

antibolo

Banned
I only even did the chargeback because they told me there were TWO $5.00 charges and I only reversed the one. It even showed two charges on my credit card app. That's what makes this situation even more frustrating. I was not trying to reverse anything, I just thought that either Sony or my cc had made a mistake and did a double charge.

When you believe to be the victim of an accidental double charge, you need to clear it up with the merchant first.

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who has already tweeted or done ANYTHING to make this situation a bit more visible. I don't have twitter myself but I say lets make this injustice undone and not just for me but for everyone who has had their account banned for a similar petty reason! I will stay in communication with anyone who posts or PMs and could help on twitter or on the official PlayStation forums. I myself have little power to do anything but us as a community of gamers, we have all the power! I have already PM'd Neuromancer who in the past has helped someone else so cheers to him, but if anyone else could help I would greatly appreciate it!

Whilst getting banned feels terrible, Sony has done nothing wrong here. They reacted to your far too quick reaction to chargeback. You were at fault here, not them. There is nothing unjust or unfair about their decision to ban you. You brought that on yourself.

Of course, the fact they taking a long time to rectify the situation is indeed an issue. Hopefully you get that sorted soon.

Your situation is fucked, but you should have contacted the business(in this case Sony) first before reversing the charge. That would have saved you a lot of stress and anxiety. It seems you will get your account back so it's not a complete disaster.

I mean there's your mistake the second you saw "TWO" $5 charges you should've contacted Sony to either see why they charged twice or to fix it.I agree with most here in that a chargeback is a last resort when the seller will not help you solve the problem or you have made sure someone else used your CC.

Once you get it sorted just chalk it up to experience and remember the two golden rules set up 2 step and never chargeback before talking with Sony.Not trying to be rude just explaining where you went wrong and lets be honest we all go wrong at many points.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you reversed the charge. it's your own fault. you do that and sony bans your account. simple.

i doubt you'll get your account back now. best cut your losses and create a new one if you can. learn from your mistake.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not directed at the OP, but do people do a chargeback (not just to Sony) a lot?

I mean my first reaction to what I think could be a faulty charge is to call both the charging party and my credit card.

Zarth

Not directed at the OP, but do people do a chargeback (not just to Sony) a lot?

I mean my first reaction to what I think could be a faulty charge is to call both the charging party and my credit card.

I only CB after I call both the CC company and the Merchant. Often Capital One will contact the merchant for you if they are being troublesome and they will recommend when to initiate the CB if the merchant is being uncooperative.

EDIT: When you initiate a chargeback with Capital One they also warn you that this is a last resort and you should only do it after contacting the merchant. Most matters like this are easily remedied without a chargeback.

SRTtoZ

Yea you can't reverse charges from either Sony or MS or you will be banned. Always make sure its fraud before you go ahead and reverse a charge :(

The $5 minimum thing that Sony does is also extremely scummy. Thats usually something small mom and pop shops do because they can't afford to use credit cards on a single candy bar but for a corporation as big as Sony to do this is so fucking silly.

Top Bottom