• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess I am done rooting for Lebron James

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I was starting to like the guy in the past few seasons, but I guess he really is all about making bank at the expense of anything, including freedom of speech and human rights.

14WNc6Q.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why do some westerners that have nothing to do with HK even care or have been extremely vocal lately? Like we aren't in danger from saying fuck China like they people over there are. Election year?

godhandiscen

Why do some westerners that have nothing to do with HK even care or have been extremely vocal lately? Like we aren't in danger from saying fuck China like they people over there are. Election year?
Lebron is huge in China. There used to be a NeoGAF member who loved China and traveled there multiple times, Blaburn. He became a fan of Lebron over there.

It's amazing how things change when it's your well being on the line, huh?

This is true, I don't know how I would behave if my critics towards China could cost me millions of dollars. However, I like to believe that if I was rich already, I would be even more encouraged to just follow my ideals. Perhaps Lebron just really enjoys Orwell's 1984, and is rooting for China.

Last edited:
I was starting to like the guy in the past few seasons, but I guess he really is all about making bank at the expense of anything, including freedom of speech and human rights.

I see this tweet last night that summarizes my feelings as well.

Kenpachii

It's always the same with people that scream the loudest. Once it effects there wallet they are dead silence.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see this tweet last night that summarizes my feelings as well.

Of course every player is zipping it.

Chinese companies scouting NBA players for endorsement deals during the exhibition games.

Easy to criticize in the US, because there's freedom to say it and there's enough people and companies that support any view. Government doesn't get involved.

In China, you better tow the Chinese government line, or at worst, just say nothing and do your job (sinking 3 pointers). Players have taken this stance.

But once the NBA season starts, USA politics will start up again. But there will be no Chinese politics all season.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Sports players are icons to many poor Democrats. These athletes are just supposed to be smiling faces for whatever agenda they are told to push. Pretty similar to anyone famous.

I can see why people are frustrated at LeBron. But it's complete bullshit we look at one issue and let that be the metric which we judge a person.

He does good work, he's not perfect. Fuck purity tests.

Mistake

It’s not just because of hk, it’s a foreign country using their financial influence to censor free speech in the US, which is extremely dangerous. We already had problems with companies doing this on their own, such as google curtailing search results to be more biased, or facebook removing certain posts to their liking. The average person may not see it now, but this sets a dangerous precedent and undermines the freedoms and values the US stands for. This is cancel culture on another level. Maybe today it doesn’t matter, but tomorrow it could be your job or worse

Last edited:
It’s not just because of hk, it’s a foreign country using their financial influence to censor free speech in the US, which is extremely dangerous. We already had problems with companies doing this on their own, such as google curtailing search results to be more biased, or facebook removing certain posts to their liking. The average person may not see it now, but this sets a dangerous precedent and undermines the freedoms and values the US stands for. This is cancel culture on another level. Maybe today it doesn’t matter, but tomorrow it could be your job or worse

Honestly, what they do in China is their own god damn business. How is them censoring US related stuff taking away our freedom of speech? I fail to see how that works. We can say what we want in our country all the same.

Mistake

Honestly, what they do in China is their own god damn business. How is them censoring US related stuff taking away our freedom of speech? I fail to see how that works. We can say what we want in our country all the same.
How is censorship against free speech? Is that what you’re asking? I...don’t know where to start. You don’t see the problem with a foreign government having control over the information you consume?

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Lebron at least took on social causes that are of interest to him.

Michael Jordan didn't do or say shit. Just smoked cigars, gambled, and fucked hot pussy.
I personally think Michael is an asshole, but at least he never claimed to be anything but. He kept out of politics and just focused on playing ball, which is what he was best at.

LeBron on the other hand is a fucking hypocrite. He'll happily take jabs at the president of his country while apologizing for his Chinese overlords.

C4lukin2

Banned
The thing for me, he has always been a giant cunt.

But I could never confirm it. Heat and Cavalier fans knew it. And even South Park has an episode devoted to the “decision.“

I do not dislike him because he is an amazing athlete, I always disliked him because he was an ass hole.

I personally think Michael is an asshole, but at least he never claimed to be anything but. He kept out of politics and just focused on playing ball, which is what he was best at.

LeBron on the other hand is a fucking hypocrite. He'll happily take jabs at the president of his country while apologizing for his Chinese overlords.
Bingo. He loses nothing to shit talk Trump, in fact he probably gains from all the positive press. Shit talking China on the other hand would cost him a bit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How is censorship against free speech? Is that what you’re asking? I...don’t know where to start. You don’t see the problem with a foreign government having control over the information you consume?
When our government does it then it is ok?

Mistake

When our government does it then it is ok?
no, it’s not. And I didn’t say it was. The point is, our media is starting to go through the great firewall, for American consumption. That’s bullshit. Also, that affects American creativity and people who hold those jobs

Last edited:
He's calling out Daryl Morey because his tweets could impact the Chinese exhibition games? Seems a little cheap considering the millions he's already made. That being said we shouldn't destroy the golden LeBron idol we made in our closets because of one minor thing. He's done a tremendous amount for the black community and continues to be an ambassador for the game of basketball and a motivator to children everywhere.

Banned

Costs a shit ton of money to buy a basketball team. He needs every dollar he can get

SpiceRacz

I can't view the entire article. Is he suggesting he's more educated on the subject than Morey?

Last edited:

demigod

He blamed it on his team having a bad week, what the fuck. Own up to your shit, then again this is the same douche that never shook people's hands after getting beaten in the playoffs.

emperor84

Neo Member
i'm gonna get hate for this from people who claim they support freedom but don't but let him speak what he wants it's freedom of speech. people getting butthurt over his comments yet advocate freedom of speech are ridiculous. people calling him stupid for supporting a regime that others don't like. land of the free! usa! usa! usa! people don't seem to understand what freedom is.

godhandiscen

i'm gonna get hate for this from people who claim they support freedom but don't but let him speak what he wants it's freedom of speech. people getting butthurt over his comments yet advocate freedom of speech are ridiculous. people calling him stupid for supporting a regime that others don't like. land of the free! usa! usa! usa! people don't seem to understand what freedom is.
He can say anything he wants. Nobody in this thread advocated for censoring him.
Disagreeing without censoring is such a “novel” concept nowadays that the majority of people, you included, cannot see the difference anymore.

Last edited:

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I brought out the keyboard so let me expand on my point. Ledouche first supports freedom of speech in a big way with his support of that quarterback that sucks at being a quarterback. I think his name is capernick or something like that. For this im going to call him carper. Carper signs big ass deal with nike. Blah blah blah brings us to now. Now im going to Charlie in the mail room on this shit now, so hang in there with me. ITS ALL CONNECETED. MEDS BE DAMNED! I KNOW IM RIGHT. Le whatever the fuck his name is comes out and says “best chain” or some shit. Cleary showing support for their fucked up goverment. Re education camps, killing, censorship, and social points. Which cleary goes against is prior support of carper. How can one support free speech yet hail the China goverment? Answer, you cant. Dude is a cunt. THEN YOU HAVE NIKE not saying SHIT about anything. Even after signing carper in support of his free speech thing. WHY? CHina MONIES! DAS WHY! Can’t say bad words or no monies. FUCKING DISGUSTING! Now, how deep this rabbit whole goes, i dont fucking know. We see a little bit of it with the blizzard bullshit. The question is how much is infected with Chinese’s monie. How many companies have to watch what their employees say, to not upset China? What do we get to see? What is already censored in our media? We see it in Hollywood.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I never gave a shit about athlete politics one way or another. If they are criminals, that's a different story. He said something dumb for sure, but whatever. I've definitely heard worse from athletes. I don't think Lebron is a bad guy, I just think he's caught up in woke culture being the face of the NBA and got kinda exposed a little bit as someone who has personal agendas. But I already knew that, every athlete has an agenda one way or another. Kaepernick showed his once he wore his pig socks, that he's just anti-cop more than he was criminal justice reform.

If Lebron was on my team I'd root for him. Just gimme parades, I'll separate the politics from the fanatical aspects of it.

Last edited:

s34ab

Banned
Why were you ever rooting for him to begin with? He's a legitimately retarded race baiting piece of shit (who faked a hate crime against himself, which everybody seems to have memory holed.)

Top Bottom