• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess I am done rooting for Lebron James

GreyHorace

Why were you ever rooting for him to begin with? He's a legitimately retarded race baiting piece of shit (who faked a hate crime against himself, which everybody seems to have memory holed.)
Please elaborate. This is first time I've heard of it.

emperor84

Neo Member
He can say anything he wants. Nobody in this thread advocated for censoring him.

uh yeah people losing their shit seems like they would rather not have him say what he said. people getting offended that he wasn't on the "right side". all the backlash he is getting was to censor his tweet which he did remove.

Disagreeing without censoring is such a “novel” concept nowadays that the majority of people, you included, cannot see the difference anymore.

so you're just going with the trend this is not some novel concept. the majority of the people you claim cannot see the difference are right. you can't put limits on freedom to suit your agenda otherwise it wouldn't be freedom but the illusion of freedom.

s34ab

Banned
Please elaborate. This is first time I've heard of it.

The gate in the front of his house was spray painted with a racial slur. The cops got called. By the time the cops got there, it was already painted over. No security footage of any kind. The only evidence was a photograph. This was the day before the NBA Finals.

He does good work, he's not perfect. Fuck purity tests.

He didn't "open" anything. He's paying them a tiny fraction of the cost it takes to run (local, state, and federal taxes will cover most of it) for publicity. Let's not pretend like people with hundreds of millions of dollars (his sponsorship with Nike alone is worth $50 million a year) who give away what they find in their couch cushions makes them above reproach. Lebron should shut his fucking mouth and bounce the ball. That's all he's good for.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The gate in the front of his house was spray painted with a racial slur. The cops got called. By the time the cops got there, it was already painted over. No security footage of any kind. The only evidence was a photograph. This was the day before the NBA Finals.
Huh. Never read about that. But I've never really followed Lebron's career closely except for those times when it made big news like 'The Decision.' That was such a display of narcissism on his part and left me with the impression that he gets high on his own farts. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a once in a generation talent but he's garbage person IMO.

uh yeah people losing their shit seems like they would rather not have him say what he said. people getting offended that he wasn't on the "right side". all the backlash he is getting was to censor his tweet which he did remove.

so you're just going with the trend this is not some novel concept. the majority of the people you claim cannot see the difference are right. you can't put limits on freedom to suit your agenda otherwise it wouldn't be freedom but the illusion of freedom.
He can say whatever he wants to say, and likewise people have a right to get angry about what he says. Freedom of speech is about the ability of an individual to express what they believe in. However, freedom of speech does not protect the speaker from criticism. Following your train of thought, you are attempting to censor those who are angry about Lebron's words in this very thread.

Personally, I think what Lebron said was idiotic, although I can understand why he said it. He's thinking as a pragmatist. He has nothing to gain by speaking out for the people of Hong Kong, and doesnt understand why others who likewise have nothing to gain would do so. I think that line of reasoning is selfish, but that's not why it was stupid. It was stupid because he should have known the opinion would lose him favor in the US while doing little to improve the footing of the NBA in China. Rather than keep his head down and let the situation play out, he chose to make a statement that only stands to hurt him.

petran79

Banned
Of course every player is zipping it.

Chinese companies scouting NBA players for endorsement deals during the exhibition games.

Easy to criticize in the US, because there's freedom to say it and there's enough people and companies that support any view. Government doesn't get involved.

In China, you better tow the Chinese government line, or at worst, just say nothing and do your job (sinking 3 pointers). Players have taken this stance.

But once the NBA season starts, USA politics will start up again. But there will be no Chinese politics all season.

Same for retired soccer players playing for fun in Saudi Arabia for a few extra millions

Proverbs 28:20-22 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent. To have respect of persons is not good: for for a piece of bread that man will transgress. He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

Can be a useful book at times.

Caffeine

DecisiveTintedEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

lil puff

It would occur to me that when providing constructive criticism or discourse...

Educated/Uneducated should not be in the 1st few sentences. If your brain can't wrap around that naturally, you should start rehearsing your thoughts in case you get pulled aside for an interview.

We were always taught to say all the positive things 1st, and then slide in the criticisms last.
And the word 'spiritual was not a very good choice.

Seems like he's not that good speaking on the fly.

Other than that, I took nothing personal about it. He's the same person he was before to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Proverbs 28:20-22 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent. To have respect of persons is not good: for for a piece of bread that man will transgress. He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

Can be a useful book at times.
That translation has always been a little fucky.

The Hebrew was regarding partiality in the judicial system (and the bounty awaiting those of the faithful). To pass sentence in favor of a person, because he is rich, or is a relative, friend, an acquaintance, has done a previous kindness for you, another or the public, or has done bad to your enemies, is a corruption of the court system. The piece of bread is a common analogy regarding a basic necessity. It's a common talking point when discussing poverty. This proverb regarding partiality is timeless, we still have these issues today.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

No, people are expressing their disagreement. Nobody asked him to stop expressing his opinion, get banned from playing or doing business with China.

Expressing disagreement and asking to censor someone being completely different actions isn't a novel concept. It is my freedom of speech to make this thread pointing out I cannot support him. However, he is free to continue expressing himself and doing the things he does. If I was to take that away from him, I would be no better than those I criticize.

If It hurts your sensibilities because you like him as a player or agree with his thoughts on China, you can make your own thread expressing your support of him. Nevertheless, you are wrong to compare the people here expressing their disagreement with the kind of censorship that has taken over China and it's making its way to America.

Last edited:

LordVader

Neo Member
I don’t want him censored. I’m honestly glad his true self is showing in front of the whole world once again. He is a dumbass.

C4lukin2

Banned
Going for the jersey burning record I guess.

Between Heat fans, Cavalier fans, and him going to the Lakers...

I bet he has the most burned jersey in the NBA. He probably has the most sold jersey over the course of his career as well.

And I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, but I grew up in Texas, so I have an excuse.

It is the same sort of thing, the biggest and most loved teams are also the most hated.

But Lebron is especially irritating. As are a few other NBA players that I can think of.

I do not really have anything against Curry, or I am not even going to try and spell the Buck’s guy, or Vince Carter for instance. Who shits on Vince Carter for being a dick?

Athletes have careers where despite whether or not you like them, they do not eat their own ass hole on a yearly basis. And they do not have a South Park episode devoted to what a douche they are.

Lebron has given even the most logical non fanboy reasons to dislike him And now you get the China thing.

He didn't "open" anything. He's paying them a tiny fraction of the cost it takes to run (local, state, and federal taxes will cover most of it) for publicity. Let's not pretend like people with hundreds of millions of dollars (his sponsorship with Nike alone is worth $50 million a year) who give away what they find in their couch cushions makes them above reproach. Lebron should shut his fucking mouth and bounce the ball. That's all he's good for.
Yes he did open it. He wasn't alone in opening it. The breakdown in who pays what hasn't been released from what I seen, he's at least covering 25%. Also, they estimated a yearly cost to be less than 1% of the cities budget.

The man does good for society. He's not just rich and hoarding money. I'm not about 'cancelling' people full stop.

If anyone should shut their fucking mouth it's you. What the fuck have you done for society at large? Your bitch ass can't even bounce a ball. Fuck out of here.

Phase

The sad part is he is basically in an untouchable position and has the ability to make a huge difference and speak out in favor of freedom, but he chose to cover the bottom line.

highrider

Banned
It’s not fashionable to attack China. The western, white world on the other hand...

I still think he’s an all time great, at a sport that requires more athletic ability than any other sport. But he’s kind of stupid as a person. But it’s a good thing this has exposed him and the whole woke NBA. These are not people with conviction or real values, they’re just parroting what they think will make them popular.

C4lukin2

Banned
It’s not fashionable to attack China. The western, white world on the other hand...

I still think he’s an all time great, at a sport that requires more athletic ability than any other sport. But he’s kind of stupid as a person. But it’s a good thing this has exposed him and the whole woke NBA. These are not people with conviction or real values, they’re just parroting what they think will make them popular.

Bigrx1

Banned
He's done an absolute shit ton for the community over the years - I'm not going to just label someone a piece of trash because some of their political opinions don't match mine or they do a particular thing I don't agree with.

Amory

I get why people are pissed at what he said but the guy is a basketball player with a high school education who has been fabulously wealthy from a very young age. You could literally get a more valid opinion on Hong Kong and China from a drunk hobo on the street than you could from LeBron James.

I watch him play sometimes. That's pretty the beginning and end of my LBJ relationship

Top Bottom