• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess I'm alone in this but: I love The Bard's Tale

Really, it's awesome.. The comedy is gold, the dialogue is really witty, the voice acting is incredible, and the story is so good at poking fun at genre cliches that I'm in love with it..

Yes the gameplay suffers from poor combat mechanics, but this game really seems to deserve much more attention. Anyone know how well it sold?..

Odysseus

Banned
I bought a copy.

*Used from Gamefly, so I guess it doesn't count.

**Haven't played it. It is one of the few remnants of a time long forgotten when I bought games without consideration of when or where I would find time to play them. A short time, but a treacherous one indeed.

Red Scarlet

I thought 2 was fun..but man were those games hard. I never beat 2, but I did get all the Destiny Wand pieces on different games.

Red Scarlet said:
I thought 2 was fun..but man were those games hard. I never beat 2, but I did get all the Destiny Wand pieces on different games.

I was actually talking about Fargo's modern re-take of the franchise, but it's really nice to see someone who actually remembers the Bard's Tale series back from the ancient days! Those were the days, listening to Heavy Metal and playing Den of Thieves, Bard's Tale etc :)

Beavertown

Garbage
I just started playing it. I like it a lot. My only complaints are, I wish there were more save points, and why in the hell do they have a shaky cam for an overhead game? ****ing retarded.

I don't think the combat is too bad, it gets better the more moves you learn, or special skills or whatever.

Comedy and voice acting are gold though. And, I like that it takes the Champions and Dark Alliance formula and opens it up and expands on it a bit more.

Red Scarlet

tahrikmili said:
I was actually talking about Fargo's modern re-take of the franchise, but it's really nice to see someone who actually remembers the Bard's Tale series back from the ancient days! Those were the days, listening to Heavy Metal and playing Den of Thieves, Bard's Tale etc :)

Oh, oops. I just read the topic title. :lol

Are the original games hidden in the one you're talking about?

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, oops. I just read the topic title. :lol

Are the original games hidden in the one you're talking about?

I'm afraid not.. it would've been awesome to include them as an easter egg though. Hopefully they'll do something like that for the sequel? *fingers crossed*

bluemax

Banned
I thought it was funny but I think my parents PS2 crashed while I was playing it. Maybe I'll try it again next time I go home on vacation.

Pellham

Banned
tahrikmili said:

I was a huge fan of the original PC games. still haven't tried the new game though, but i'd like to when i have time and can find it cheap.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Rented it. Played it for ...about 2 hours. It was mildly amusing, but I generally dislike western action RPGs, and this is one of the reasons why. It made me laugh a couple times though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
the og ones are awesome... if it didn't carry the name I wouldn't have felt like my childhood was raped

ram

i love the game too - the voicework is indeed incredible. but i fear brian fargos new studio is closed now, since the game doesnt sell like hotcakes.

VALIS

Shard said:
I enjoyed The Bard's Tale.

I agree with the words this person has written.

PantherLotus said:
It was mildly amusing, but I generally dislike western action RPGs, and this is one of the reasons why. It made me laugh a couple times though.

You dislike Western RPGs because they're mildly amusing?

tehrafe said:
Only played the one on xbox, liked it very much. Are the other (older) games better?

One thing they have in common with the new game is that they are great at telling stories. In terms of gameplay, they are very different. I loved them back in their time but I can't be sure I'd enjoy them today. Nostalgia has an uncanny way of replacing the bad among good memories. I'll say they were great for their time and leave it at that.

tehrafe

2004_InXile_Bard%27s_Tale_ad.jpg

:lol

quetz67

Banned
tehrafe said:
Only played the one on xbox, liked it very much. Are the other (older) games better?
They have nothing in common but the name.

*lol* at that ad, it perfectly shows what the game is about

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Played the Xbox version, it was pretty funny sometimes, it started out great, but fell completely flat at times and jokes became old as you progressed. And eventually, all you had left was basically a subpar, unpolished Diablo clone. I liked the idea with summoning creatures to help you, but that's about the only nice thing I can think of. Sadly, 'cause I really wanted to like it. :/

Kuran

Banned
You're not alone. I loved this game. The scene with the ferry and the kobold/troll/imp was hilarious!

Also some of the later levels did look very good graphically, such as the snow areas..

It wasn't perfect, but the humour and personality won me over and made it worthwhile, definately worth the 20$ that it goes for these days.

Top Bottom