• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Had a Pilonidal Cyst Removed Today

I never really thought I'd ever see an operating room in my lifetime.

Every time I went to see my doctor, at most I'd come out with a Vitamin D prescription. I knew myself as a healthy young man, maybe a little bit on the chunky side, but I was making strides to change that.

But I had to put those plans on hold.

Before I begin, I just want to give a little rundown of what a pilonidal cyst is.
Well, to the extent of my knowledge.
It's an abnormal little pocket that opens up near the buttocks, right around the tailbone area, and usually contains hair, dirt, debris, etcetera. It tends to occur when an ingrown hair malfunctions(?) and gets stuck. As a result, this little pocket opens up in an attempt to flush out the hair, along with a big ugly boil typically on the right buttcheek. I like to call this a "second butthole", except the only feeling you'd get from touching it is sharp pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilonidal_cyst

I remember around February I had a rather painful rash on my butt, and a few weeks later I remember the boil showing up. When I thought about it at first, I thought it was just a pesky bit of acne that showed up in the worst spot imaginable. I would poke it, squeeze it, and yank at it. But, it never off, and as a matter of fact it was starting to be a pain in the patooey
;)

A month later, I noticed that there were stains on the boxers I would wear. It was this yellowish-red stain, and each pair of boxers had it in the same spot. When I asked my sister about this, she insisted that I wasn't washing properly, which is preposterous! I have a wonder bidet fitted on my toilet, and it's always kept my butt squeaky clean, so I blew her off.

I remember after a few days of pondering, I had the urge to scratch my rash really bad. When I finished, I checked my boxers.

I realized it was blood.

___

And so, from that day forth I ignored the pain by my butt and I gradually forgot about it. I lived my days in slightly uncomfortable and rarely, but almost unbearably painful days. I had a hard time doing a lot of things that required running or bending down, making my work harder in the process, but I figured that this bad rash would eventually go away.

But it wasn't until E3 2017, when I realized I needed to get a doctor's opinion. For Microsoft's conference, I had made a bet on NeoGAF and with friends that I would shave my butt if the Xbox One X was going to be priced at $399. Lo and behold, Phil Spencer climbs the stage and crushes my soul by quietly announced the system at $499. A bit beaten, but that's okay. I pull out my trust Wahler's peanut shaver and quickly get to work.
It was then I noticed the boil. It had gotten bigger, and uglier. I tried to pop it again, but instead of pus, I got blood. That's when I knew I had to see a doctor.

I made a call to my physician, and I had an appointment set up for next month. When I got there, I expected to walk out with a prescription for skin cream or something of the sort. Instead, I got something a little unexpected: two pairs of hands, one from my doctor and another from a shadowing doctor, digging into my butt. But the surprise came from behind
;)
: the blood wasn't coming from the boil but rather a pocket, or as we know the pilonidal cyst.

Instead of cream, I left the doctor's office with a prescription for amoxicillin and a list of nearby general surgeons. Let me tell, finding a surgeon that not only accepted my insurance and was available as soon as possible was a challenge in itself. In the end, I had an appointment set at a nearby general surgeon for the 20th of August. I ask a friend to come with me, and when we went to that appointment, I was given cephalexin along with a surgery date: the 8th of September, 2017. She also told me that, to remove this cyst, an entire chunk of my butt would have to go. Not replace, go.

My mind was uneasy. I had never been under the lights of an operating room and I would never had imagined that it would happen right then, right there. After I spoke to my friend for a bit, I dropped him off home and raced back to my place. There, I sat in my little beanie bag, looking up at the ceiling. My anxiety was getting the best of me at that moment, because the ceiling light was beginning to look a little different.

evangelion_02_the_beast.jpg

Bad references aside, I gotta say that the days leading up to the surgery were making me uneasy. In fact, a week before my surgery, when I went to my physician to get a total blood count I had fainted! The idea of sitting in a room, in a situation I couldn't control was bothering me too much. But I had to go with this, because the pain of the cyst was unbearable, the smell was awful because of the waste it was flushing out, and also because backing out of this now could cost me a lot.

___

The last week leading up to my surgery was depressing and anxiety-ridden. Nothing seemed to go right at my job, I got a speeding ticket from an officer, and my surgery day was looming. My friend, who's basically my brother from another mother, even he couldn't calm my nerves, no matter how hard I tried.

Relief, however, sometimes comes from the weirdest places. This time, I found it from my Xbox Live friends. I had talked to them about my issues before, but I never really went into detail about my upcoming procedure, and it was there where I remembered one of the friends I was talking to was an in-patient for kidney failure. It was there I realized how many IVs she was going through, and it was that moment I remembered the times I'd donate games for kids to play at various care centers, seeing them hooked up to all sorts of devices day in day out, rarely moving a single muscle.

It was there I knew I was a coward.

But even with that realization, I found comfort in this. I wasn't alone, and these folks have spent much, much longer hooked to a IV than the tears I cried a few nights ago. I knew what I had to do, and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I wasn't the first and I wasn't going to be the last.

After my little epiphany, I waited for the day of my surgery. Reluctantly I may add, but even with the comfort I received, I couldn't exactly sit still either.

___

Yesterday, I got a call from my hospital. My reception at work is terrible, so the caller left a voicemail of the time I would have to arrive, and where.

"7:00 AM, second floor, don't eat or drink the midnight of your surgery."

When I heard that, I was somewhat taken aback. That was early! Could I really muster the courage to show up? How would this even work?

My mind started racing again, but I once again remembered my little epiphany from a few days ago, which helped soothe my nerves. I also did some boxed breathing, and let me tell you, it's very helpful.

I went to sleep last night, a little anxious. My friend and my mother both agreed to accompany me to my surgery, which helped a lot. Let me tell you folks, I don't know what I'd ever do if I lost my mother, she is the chicken soup for my soul, so to speak.

I woke up at 5 AM, dehydrated and hungry, but I couldn't do anything about that. I picked my mother and my friend, and we drove to the hospital.

___

7 AM rolled by rather quickly, mostly due to the drive. My mother and I walked up to the reception desk, and we were directed to the second floor. My friend had gone off to park my car, so I had quite some time to ponder things. My mother poked me on the cheek and said not to worry, she knows what surgery feels like, and boy does she know (that's another story entirely).

We get to the second floor, where a bunch of nurses were running about, going into rooms down the hallway. The place didn't look too bad, the floors were all tiled but had yellow tints to them, and the walls could have looked a bit... nicer. But as walked down the hallway into the out patient area, we came up to a desk by our left and talked to an older nurse. She asked for my ID and insurance card, which I presented. After some paperwork, I was directed to the room behind me and given socks and a medical gown that presented my buttocks rather nicely.

After I put on the gown, I tucked myself into the slightly rough, yet comfortable single bed that was raised ever so slightly. I covered up, and pulled out volume six of the light novel I was reading, Danmachi. But I was getting anxious again, so I made small talk with my friend, making bad jokes about going to sleep and never waking up. We also watched the TV they had, watching as Irma slowly but surely blared its way towards Florida.

A few nurses came to see me, checking on me and whatnot, and before I knew it one came in with an IV bag. And this is where I started to slightly panic. The nurse saw this, but before she could react my mother came up to me and held my right hand. I swear to you, if she wasn't there I'd have fallen into a coma. But the nurse was good, too, talking to me as she threaded the IV into my veins. It felt funny at first, the tube felt foreign and uncomfortable, yet not unbearable. I shuddered as the cold liquid poured into my system, and my left hand felt stiff. I was afraid to look, afraid to move it for fear of tearing out the tube, but gradually I got used to it. And before I knew it, I was back to cracking jokes with my friend. Bad jokes, yes, but I could take all the cheesiness I could get.

A few minutes later, a physician came in to talk to me about my procedure, and about ten minutes later, a male nurse came in to take me to the 6th floor holding room. As I was pushed out, my mother gave me a kiss on my forehead, and I will admit I let out a tear, but there wasn't anytime to be a crybaby. My cart was pushed into a special looking elevator, and I was moving upwards, my ears popping as we passed each level. I made small talk with the nurse, asking if he ever had any procedures done on his well-being and the like.

I was pushed into a holding room with two other patients present, and as I was placed into my little chamber one of the other patients were being pushed out, ready to be put to sleep. I whimpered out a "good luck!" as he left the room, and I sat still, watching The Weather Channel.

Each person in the holding room was in line, and they were each meeting with various folks with various specialties. Anesthesia, surgeons, nurses, you name it. With each passing minute I was getting a bit nervous, but a lot of that stemmed from me needed to urinate all of a sudden. When I asked a nurse about this, she gave me a urinal cup, but unfortunately my muscles were too tense, and I couldn't relieve myself. My anesthesia doctor noticed how nervous I was, and asked if I wanted my procedure done differently.

He talked about how I was going to be put to sleep, or general anesthesia, via a tube and a mask. But there was another option I could take: I could be awake, but numbed instead in the area that was going to be operated. I considered the second option out of curiosity, but how many times in my life would I be put to sleep? I was more interested in that, so I stayed with the former. He nodded his head, and he left.

Ten minutes later, I had 8 people surrounding my bed. I was next in line for the surgery. A nice older doctor by the name of Pam grabbed my left, and she told me this:

"You'll be all right, think of me as your mother and I'll think of you as my son."

Now I'd like to mention that, as I was being pushed out of the holding room, I didn't feel nervous at all. Rather, I felt at piece. Maybe it was because of Pam's kindness, or maybe it was from the curiosity I had on about being put to sleep. Either way, before I knew it, I was pushed into the operating room, the big surgical light staring up at me, the light that I was once scared of, now seemed to be almost soothing.

Several nurses and doctors surrounded me, moving all sorts of things around. I watched in amazement at how efficiently these people worked, and it gave me courage. I also remembered my friend, and the kids I've met over my years of donating old software, and I felt quite all right.

A nurse came up to my left, prepping a bag in his hand.

"It's time for you to sleep buddy," he said, removing the IV bag from my bed, "I'm going to ask you to count to ten."

Pam was to my right, holding a mask of some sort, which was connected to something I couldn't make out. She placed it on my mouth, adjusting it ever so slightly so it wouldn't touch the tip of my nose.

"Deep breaths, son."

The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was this sudden, bizarre feeling in my left arm. It was like something was reacting, fighting, almost burning. It was like a headcrab had jumped onto me, taking my body over. I closed my eyes, but I don't think it was voluntarily.

The next thing I knew, I was having an incredibly strange dream (and I don't get dreams a lot). I was playing Hatsune Miku Future Tone, except I was... in the audience? I saw button prompts, I saw lights, I saw Kagamine Rin and Meiko and all these vocaloids. And then I think I was home, sitting at my dining table. There was paperwork that I couldn't make out in front of me, but I filled them out diligently. No noise, no disturbances, nothingness echoed throughout the house. I'll admit, it was rather nice.

___

The next thing I remember, I was awake. My butt was sore, my throat burned, my arms were tired; I was aching.

A nurse was kind enough to wake me from my slumber, apparently my surgery was only fifteen minutes long, but I slept for over an hour and thirty minutes! I knew I was a deep sleeper, but I would never have imagined my entire morning asleep with a chunk of my butt missing.

She tore off these adhesives on my chest, I assume for the EKG machine. I couldn't tell what was going on, my head was in a daze. I was groggy and tired.

I was wheeled back into my room, and on my way there all the nurses cheered for the little guy who, sorta, bested his fear of surgery.

When I got to my room, my mother bent down and hugged my head, but I couldn't quite make her out, nor could I see my friend next to her. I looked at him, and he smiled, brushing his nose.

"You made it!"

I tried to speak, but all I managed was a cough. A loud one at that. But I smiled, and looked back at him.

"Unfortunately."

And that's when I knew I was all right.

I'm sorry for the long thread, but I just had to share my experience. It was a unique one, at least to me, and I hope that I entertained someone that decides to read all of this out, and possibly future cyst patients like me.

Thank you.

sirap

Tl;dr but I had mine removed a few years ago so congrats! Recovery was a bitch, cleaning and packing gauze into a gaping hole above my ass every single day was a nightmare.

Mistake

Not exactly the same, but I had an infection on my face from a bad hair since I always wear masks. It cleared up after some medicine, but now it's scarred. Long story short, if something has pus for too long, don't keep messing with it. Pus can eat away at the skin and the infection will get worse. Get it looked at. And don't try popping anything until necessary, since that also makes an infection

Nice read OP.

I have one but it isn't removed. When it went painful I just had surgery to have it drained. Left with an open wound a few centimeters in size. Had it for a few months but healed okay, no problems from it since I had the surgery a year ago.

Just wondering from you (and other gaffers) what how much do you have removed from your backside if you have the removal surgery. I'm curious in the chance I have to have it done, but I worry if I have it done it'll fuck my lower back up forever or something

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I had mine popped at an emergency room. I didn't know pus had a smell but oh it smelled. It was putrid.

Then got an excision surgery wherein I was put to sleep like you.

Did they give you a lot of pain meds? They dumped like 2 months daily supply of opiates on me lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, could you say the Xbox being 499 could have saved your life?

v1lla21

Got mine drained about two years ago now. He went in to numb it but I guess it didn't work Cuz I started feeling it and it hurt like hell. Shit was cool tho my mom recorded it for me.

Tl;dr but I had mine removed a few years ago so congrats! Recovery was a bitch, cleaning and packing gauze into a gaping hole above my ass every single day was a nightmare.

Oh man, I dread that tomorrow. Thankfully my mother agreed to help with it, but jeez I'd rather just leave it alone.

I had mine drained about 10 years ago and luckily it hasn’t come back. The surgery looks nasty.

I agree It looks awful, but I'm glad everything worked out for you! I had a friend that had to have this surgery 3 times! In the end it was fixed with the flap technique, which required a plastic surgeon. He's all good now though.

Just read through. Thanks a lot for sharing your story! Glad it all went well for you.

Thank you for reading ☺️

Not exactly the same, but I had an infection on my face from a bad hair since I always wear masks. It cleared up after some medicine, but now it's scarred. Long story short, if something has pus for too long, don't keep messing with it. Pus can eat away at the skin and the infection will get worse. Get it looked at. And don't try popping anything until necessary, since that also makes an infection

I learned that lesson, get abnormatities checked out quickly. The next one could kill me!

I'm gonna take a little nap from the pain, but I thank anyone who read my little story 🙂

Viewt

I first had one when I was 15. It was treated but not operated on. Came back with a vengeance a year later, and that time, I got the operation. Haven't had one since, and I'm really thankful, because I was informed prior to surgery that I'd probably get one every 4-5 years. But 13 years later, not a once. Whew.

SoulUnison

Banned
You got to have sleep surgery? Lucky.

They had me lay on my stomach, numbed my back with wart-ice and a shot and then just cut me up and scraped it out right there in the urgent care clinic.

I screamed like a bitch.

My anesthesia doctor noticed how nervous I was, and asked if I wanted my procedure done differently.

He talked about how I was going to be put to sleep, or general anesthesia, via a tube and a mask. But there was another option I could take: I could be awake, but numbed instead in the area that was going to be operated.
That anesthesiologist is a fucking idiot, for at least 2 reasons:
1. Your surgeon told you she was going to remove a large chunk of your butt. You want to be in any other state other than completely knocked out for that?
2. This operation is ideally done with the patient in the prone jack knife position. This generally requires a general anesthetic and a secured airway. You being partially awake is not a secured airway.

Your story left out the best part: how much gauze can you fit into your crater, or did your surgeon take the leap of faith and give you a cutaneous flap. Edit: I see that was addressed in a later post. glhf, saline is your friend

sirap

Nice read OP.

I have one but it isn't removed. When it went painful I just had surgery to have it drained. Left with an open wound a few centimeters in size. Had it for a few months but healed okay, no problems from it since I had the surgery a year ago.

Just wondering from you (and other gaffers) what how much do you have removed from your backside if you have the removal surgery. I'm curious in the chance I have to have it done, but I worry if I have it done it'll fuck my lower back up forever or something

They usually cut out a significant chunk out of your ass, depending on how big and deep the cyst is. Leaving behind any infected area would only cause it to come back.

I'm not gonna lie, your ass will never look the same even after that hole fills out. Not only does the newer skin look and feel different, there will always be that indentation above your cheeks.

I feel your pain OP. I had a Pilonidal Sinus excision in March and have had complications and still am not healed. Those were dark days having that packed in the first couple months. Wishing you the best of luck and no setbacks!

Damn, I had no idea these were so common
maybe gamers are more susceptible to sitting on the same spot on their ass for hours at a time?

I also had one, a few months back. Though it was a pimple at first, too, but then it grew painful to sit down and I went to urgent care. They used some honestly inadequate local anesthesia and just lanced it. No fun, but I'm glad I managed to avoid surgery.

Anyway, congrats on getting it fixed, and kudos for overcoming your fear of surgery!

Just FYI, trying to numb up an infected area with local anesthetic will always be sub-optimal, because the pH of pus is too acidic for the drug to work effectively.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Had my surgery back in college. Was quite the ordeal. I still can't believe my butt looks normal considering the giant hole that was carved out of it. The body's capacity to heal is amazing.

The cleaning and packing is a pain but it will be over before you know it.

It's interesting how common this is with guys. I had no idea.

They usually cut out a significant chunk out of your ass, depending on how big and deep the cyst is. Leaving behind any infected area would only cause it to come back.

I'm not gonna lie, your ass will never look the same even after that hole fills out. Not only does the newer skin look and feel different, there will always be that indentation above your cheeks.

Sweet christmas. Thanks for the reply though :)

Showshank

I've gotten a bump in that area about 3 times now. I press it and a bit of pus and some blood comes out. The first time was about 2 years ago and the second and third time were this year. Right now I don't feel anything there, but should I see a doctor?

sirap

I've gotten a bump in that area about 3 times now. I press it and a bit of pus and some blood comes out. The first time was about 2 years ago and the second and third time were this year. Right now I don't feel anything there, but should I see a doctor?

Please do so as soon as possible. Squeezing it (on top of the added pressure from sitting every day) will only make the infection worse and cause the cyst to grow.

A lot of us got into this mess because we waited too long. I wish I'd sucked up my pride and went to the doctor sooner.

Doesn't hurt to have them take a look. If an average primary care doc can find the pilonidal sinuses and make the referral, the operation is easier on the patient, since less butt needs to be carved out.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Please do so as soon as possible. Squeezing it (on top of the added pressure from sitting every day) will only make the infection worse and cause the cyst to grow.

A lot of us got into this mess because we waited too long. I wish I'd sucked up my pride and went to the doctor sooner.

Yup. I waited way too long for mine. Had the thing removed and it took over a year for the wound to fully recover. My dad had to help pack the area with gauze and he said it looked like a grenade went off back there.

Go asap. Don't leave it.

RowdyReverb

Just in case anybody is reading this thread and discovers they have a pilonidal sinus, surgery is typically only perfomed after you've had at least one complication from it (i.e. Infection/abscess). If you just have a hole there, you can just keep the area clean and control the hair growth there, but know that if you do start having acute pain or pus drainage, you should see your doc in clinic.

Ixian

I went through this years ago. During the draining process the pain killers the doctor gave me wore off and the combination of that plus the her talking about what she was doing with her nurse made me nearly pass out. >_<

Long story short, if you feel an abnormal bump start to form in that area go get that shit checked out ASAP. Mine was right where the waist on my pants tends to hang out so it was even worse.

Zackat

friend of mine had to have his operated on multiple times. it finally all healed but he dealt with it for about 2 years or so.

Just in case anybody is reading this thread and discovers they have a pilonidal sinus, surgery is typically only perfomed after you've had at least one complication from it (i.e. Infection/abscess). If you just have a hole there, you can just keep the area clean and control the hair growth there, but know that if you do start having acute pain or pus drainage, you should see your doc in clinic.
Wrong. The hole is there because an infection has already occurred. So it's already a complication, using your definition. Whether or not to have the operation with inactive disease is a separate matter.

thebigword

Neo Member
dealt with this around 18 years ago. Every time I would sit down, my ass would have a leak. It sucked. It was embarrassing. I think the recovery after the surgery is worse, though. I mean you had a chunk of your ass (tailbone) taken out. It's pretty much the worst spot you can have on your body to subject to surgery. It took forever to heal and hard as hell to keep clean. My stitches split open on two separate occasions. Sucked ass

In basic, there was a recruit who got one of these cysts from all of the sit-ups we had to do. After he had it removed, he had no greater joy than to give some unsuspecting sap a double-asshole mooning.

I had one of these, it was the size of a softball and went all the way down to my tailbone and I spent the better part of a year and a half recovering from surgery with a machine partially strapped to my ass, and daily gauze changes.

RowdyReverb

Wrong. The hole is there because an infection has already occurred. So it's already a complication, using your definition. Whether or not to have the operation with inactive disease is a separate matter.
A sinus is just a term for a blind passage from the skin. Asymptomatic incidental pilonidal sinuses do not require surgical management outright. The hole itself isn't a problem per se, but can predispose one to abscess formation. It's a route for infection, not a result of it.

A sinus is just a term for a blind passage from the skin. Asymptomatic incidental pilonidal sinuses do not require surgical management outright. The hole itself isn't a problem per se, but can predispose one to abscess formation. It's a route for infection, not a result of it.
Disagree. The sinus is both the result and potential route of infection. I argue that the initial inflammatory response involving the ingrowing hair is also an infection in and of itself. Depending on which author writes on the topic, that seems to be the case. The microscopic observation of foreign body giant cells within a chronic sinus tract supports that.
sqTuX1a.png

It's pretty much a semantics argument. I never argued whether an asymptomatic pilonidal sinus should be operated on. Only whether the presence of a sinus was indicative of at least a previous infection.

Xelios092

Oh man its so bad. I got one during my freshman year of college. It started to get uncomfortable but it was seriously painful right during my final exams. It felt like I was sitting on a golf ball.

I never had the surgery for it. I had a few weeks till my summer class started so I figured I would wait it out and see what happened.It didn't get any better, it just swelled more and more. Eventually I had to get my dad to help me. I hunked face down, and squeezed like hell until it burst. Once it popped, it was such a sharp pain but it felt so relieving. I kept squeezing trying to get out what I could and the whole time all I could hear was "Oh my god" from my dad. In fact it hurt so much I almost passed out at one point. And the smell, oh god. Lots of hair coming out of it, guessing they were in grown. Who knows how long they were in that fermented mixture. It was atrocious.

I followed it with a couple more days of all out squeezing. Eventually it drained out and cleared up. It's been like 6 years now since that happened and I still dread it. What a nightmare it was.

In hindsight I probably should have used some antiseptic to help clean it up but I was just so happy to have it gone. It probably would have cleared up faster instead of needing days of squeezing.

You made the right choice going under though OP. It totally sucks, and I'm sure even with anesthetic it is still pretty terrible. Just the thought of somebody removing a chunk of my butt while awake...horrible.

moeman

Damn, I had no idea these were so common
maybe gamers are more susceptible to sitting on the same spot on their ass for hours at a time?

Yeah this could be, but in my experience many people can have pilomidal cysts regardless of activity level, although they pretty much stop causing problems at around age 30.

Fun fact: this used to be called Jeep Rider's Disease because people who rode in jeeps during world war 2 were highly susceptible to getting pilonidal cysts. The friction from the seats and rough terrain were implicated.

Gambit61

Glad you made it out fine, I also have trouble dealing with needles. When they hook me up with IV or take blood I can't even look. Last year I had to go through surgery again due to my cyst returning out of nowhere. The first was in 2011 and it sucked. I had a vacuum seal machine attached to me for a month or two to help speed up the healing process. Fortunately since I immediately went to the doctor last year when the symptoms came back I only had a little bit of tissue removed and healed pretty quickly.

dem

I had one of these 15 years ago. I remember sitting on pillows at home it hurt so much..

Then one day I had enough. I went to the shower and got a wash cloth as hot as I could stand and held it on my tailbone.

I'll never forget what it looked like when it exploded. The puss was crazy lime green.

When I got it all clean I put a big thing of gauz over the wound and it healed. I haven't had it reappear since (knock on wood)

Probably should have went to a doctor though

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What the fuck with everyone having this stuff, now I'm thinking surely I'll end up with this crap eventually. Wtf :(

Harusame

I'm currently doing my med/surg clinical rotation in nursing school right now, and will definitely get to help patients during pre- and post-operation; we even get to view a few operations take place. Definitely an interesting story to read with the start of my semester, so thanks for sharing your story.

I had it removed too OP. I waited a whole year before I could get the courage to go through with the procedure because like you, I never thought I would see the inside of an operation theater. But even a pussy as big as me did not end up writing a 5 page full melodrama.

In all seriousness, have a happy recovery. The worst part for me was the 4-5 week recovery sincd I went with the open wound technique that takes out the whole area.

Velcro Fly

I have one and would love to get it removed. Would probably have to be over the summer when I'm off work. Maybe next summer I will.

Laekon

I'm currently doing my med/surg clinical rotation in nursing school right now, and will definitely get to help patients during pre- and post-operation; we even get to view a few operations take place. Definitely an interesting story to read with the start of my semester, so thanks for sharing your story.
OR rotations are great. If you speak up and the place isn't slammed you can do a lot of IVs in pre-op and foleys in the OR. Post op is boring except for the weird things that happen to people waking up. General surgeons are almost always less of dick then ortho.

Top Bottom