• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Had a Pilonidal Cyst Removed Today

Phil_Spencer_Xbox.jpg

Is there anything this man can't do?

Glad to hear it worked out OP, I actually enjoyed reading your story

My God, the first time I replaced the gauze was a nightmare. Would never wish this on my worst enwmy! I also don't have enough supplies so I'll need to schedule an appointment with my doctor for a resupply.

Been feeling a lot more tired these days, I've been asleep for over 10 hours, too. Wonder if that's the result of the surgery.

It hurts, but I've been walking to and from a friend's place to keep my body going. Might need a cane to help my posture lol

Great story! Glad you're well now, OP! I can imagine the amount of anxiety prior the surgery but props to you for going through all of that!

But holy damn it seems I had this too back in 2014 and I thought it was just a nasty big pimple there. All because sitting on a crappy plastic chair while on the computer for years. Allow me to share my story with that, hope it's ok:

That was a great story, thank you for sharing. I don't mind at all, I started this thread to hear the experiences of others and hopefully help those that are about to have the same surgery. I've foumd that a lot of NeoGAF folk always seem to be in the same situation

Small world, isn't it?

And thank y'all for reading 🙃

Oof sorry man, that sucks. I had a pilonidal cyst removed too, freshman year of college. It was unbearable to sit down, and the worst pain I'd ever felt was when I went to the gym and was attempting to do sit-ups... I knew after that I needed to see a doctor. Got it removed that winter break, and I was pretty immobilized for all of Dec-January.

I actually do remember the recovery time fondly though. It was the winter that the Wii U came out, so I used all of my down time to play through the entirety of NSMBU/NintendoLand with my younger brother. Not like I could've done anything else! It was pretty damn fun. Aside from the fact I couldn't sit on my ass the normal way.

So what exactly happens once it's all healed up? Is there just a hole there forever or does it kind of close up?

It closes up apparently, but the area that's gone seems to never be as it once was. Feels different, that kind of stuff.

Oof sorry man, that sucks. I had a pilonidal cyst removed too, freshman year of college. It was unbearable to sit down, and the worst pain I'd ever felt was when I went to the gym and was attempting to do sit-ups... I knew after that I needed to see a doctor. Got it removed that winter break, and I was pretty immobilized for all of Dec-January.

I actually do remember the recovery time fondly though. It was the winter that the Wii U came out, so I used all of my down time to play through the entirety of NSMBU/NintendoLand with my younger brother. Not like I could've done anything else! It was pretty damn fun. Aside from the fact I couldn't sit on my ass the normal way.

Glad you've recovered, and yeah I know how you felt. Couldn't work out anything other than biceps, unless I wanted the hole to tear up.

Gonna spend the next two months playing video games, unless I tear my ACL from improperly bending down or something. Great time to play out Yakuza 0!

Bakercat

Glad you're doing better OP. I just had surgery myself last week in the same area as you. I been having a very bad herniated disk for 10 months and my last resort was surgery to get it off of the sciatic nerve. I was extremely nervous because I had to sign forms acknowledging that I knew the risks of back surgery and that i could be worse off after than before. I was terrified the day of thinking I might not be able to walk again or something lol. I couldn't eat or drink after midnight aswell and my surgery got pushed back the day of and I didn't get into surgery until after 4pm. The first 48 hours were horrible for me at least. I had a very sore throats from the tube they used for air and I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and all my muscles were very sore and having spasms. I also have tender soft skin and I got blisters and rashes from the tape they used to hold the wrapping on my stitches and from the back brace I have been having to wear. It's been about ten days now and I'm much better and so happy I had the surgery.

Laughed while reading this cause it was just so dramatic compared to my experience. Had it pop up three years ago during college senior year, hurt like hell and couldn't walk. Got it drained and had it under control until last year after I graduated from my Masters when I decided to do the surgery to take it out.

Better that than to keep draining it and using warm compress on it to shrink, as it'll most likely come back compared to just taking the chunk out. Went in at 7 AM, came out dizzy asf few hours later and stayed at home chillin while it healed over a few weeks. Fun times.

Glad to hear everything went ok and hope the healing goes well.

Edit: oh and yeah get ready to get that gauze replaced, cause it's gonna fucking huuuuuurt. They probably gave you pain meds so be sure to take em before that happens. It's probably the worst thing about this whole ordeal, but it gets alot better as it heals (you'll barely feel anything a few weeks in)

JSoup

Banned
I won't tell you if the local anesthesia is better, but I will say that being put to sleep is kinda fun! Kinda, not really, but you can have some great dreams while under the tube!

Good luck, please let me know how your procedure goes!

SO, had my procedure today. Everything went well, sort of uneventful. I've gone my whole life until now never once having an IV put in. That...wasn't pleasant, but still interesting to witness.

Yeah, this just wheeled me in, knocked me out, did the thing and I woke up with a sore throat and a strange craving for a burrito.

Sulik2

Can we discuss that you dreamed about Hatsune Miku? Thanks for the interesting story and now I am terrified of.ingrown hairs, but you really need to contemplate your life choices if you dream about a Hatsune Miku game.
I've dreamed about Tetris and Everquest before. It makes you contemplate your life choices lol.

ChrisD

A good read, OP. Glad it all went well.

Can we discuss that y dreamed about Hatsune Miku? Thanks for the interesting story and now I am terrified of.ingrown hairs, but you really need to contemplate your life choices if you dream about a Hatsune Miku game.
I've dreamed about Tetris and Everquest before. It makes you contemplate your life choices lol.

I think it's because games like Tetris and the rhythm genre in general gets you into an almost trance-like state where you're really focused. So it sticks in your brain more. That's just my armchair theory. :p

Paracelsus

Yeah, that's fun, I had one removed in late 2005.

Don't worry, it's just a small cut

Kinda like slashing a watermelon in two with a machete, they literally had to stuff the chasm with cotton wool and patch it all up for over a month. It was the worst.

Scepta

Neo Member
I feel your pain buddy.

I had my 4th removed a few months back. I seem to have a knack for getting the pesky buggers :(. Wish you a speedy recovery!

Kaji AF16

Oh, the legendary pilonidal cyst...
For obvious reasons, its relatively high prevalence is generally unknown until you transform into a patient. I got one around 2009 and was surprised to find out that several men I knew (all white, hairy, sedentary, and in their twenties) had been through the same.

Fortunately, I did not experience any pain. The surgery was quick and simple, but the recovery was so slow and complex that it eventually weakened my position in the job I had back then: after a 40-day medical absence (during which, by the way, I was reborn as a gamer due to spending so much time at home and in a fixed position) I did another month of home-office tasks.

Its recurrence rate is worrying, but mine hasn´t returned. I heard about other victims who went through as much as 14 interventions, to no avail, and got to live with the problem.
Good luck to everyone afflicted.

Bladenic

Random bump but figure some here may know. I got mine cut at the dermatologist, had stitches for two weeks. Got the stitches removed Friday and I swear Monday I already felt a bump again. The thing is, it's never gotten bigger except last night it was itchy and it feels a bit bigger now. I guess my question is, for any who have had it cut, is the bump normal? Like is it scar tissue or whatever, or did mine literally come back right away? I honestly can't really tell when looking in the mirror if it's the same as before or not. I should call the derma though I feel like they'll just say "oh we need you to come in to see it" and I don't feel like paying more money for this shit (unless absolutely necessary).

Good luck recovering OP.

Random bump but figure some here may know. I got mine cut at the dermatologist, had stitches for two weeks. Got the stitches removed Friday and I swear Monday I already felt a bump again. The thing is, it's never gotten bigger except last night it was itchy and it feels a bit bigger now. I guess my question is, for any who have had it cut, is the bump normal? Like is it scar tissue or whatever, or did mine literally come back right away? I honestly can't really tell when looking in the mirror if it's the same as before or not. I should call the derma though I feel like they'll just say "oh we need you to come in to see it" and I don't feel like paying more money for this shit (unless absolutely necessary).

Good luck recovering OP.

Mine had to be adjusted (like sculpted) inside or else the scarring would create a sort of tailbone cause the scarring is uneven.

Congratulations on ditching your punishment with that Xbox price thing!

I kid. Great story, and congratulations on finally getting rid off the pain in your butt

;)

My brother had one of these. He was lucky enough to have it removed before it ruptured but the pain he was in that lead to the discovery and the recovery was rough. However, once the recovery/surgery pain was gone he is now back to normal.

Good luck and listen to your recovery advice!

Consul

Not got time to read the entire OP just now as I'm up in 5 hours but mate what a coincidence, I think I'm suffering from one right now. There is a huge lump in my fucking ass cheek which showed up 2 days ago, right at the top of my crack on the right hand side and it is so painful. I've got work tomorrow which is quite laborious and I'm dreading it. Just gonna pop some pain killers and take a pillow to sit on in the car, hopefully I'll be alright. Was wanting to lance that shit tonight as I've suffered from a few cysts before which I've managed to drain and leave to get better themselves but I just dunno. I'm not registered at local doctors yet either but I really don't wanna face surgery. I'll read your full OP tomorrow and hopefully it will help me decide what to do, thanks.

Good luck recovering OP.
That's a fail since dermatologists aren't supposed to be treating pilonidal cysts. They aren't surgeons. Sure any doctor can lance an active boil that's about to explode, but yours didn't sound like that type, given the fact that stitches were placed (never close the skin of an infected field). I assume this was done in an office setting? Without general anesthesia? Then the dermatologist half-assed it. The ingrown hairs are still there. You still have a buried quiescent bomb, like the ones from WWII buried in the farmlands of France. Maybe it'll go off, maybe it won't.

I got one right on the gooch freshman year in college while living in the dorms and someone stole my Vicodin. An asshole stole my asshole drugs.

MicH

Yeah this could be, but in my experience many people can have pilomidal cysts regardless of activity level, although they pretty much stop causing problems at around age 30
I've never been happier to be quickly approaching 30, lol.

This cyst sounds like a nightmare!

Just had one burst last night-and went in to get the rest squeezed out this morning. The doc said I had a golfball sized amount of pus. Fucking painful and disgusting.

Oh man I completely forgot about this thread! Hope it has inspired some folks to see a doc if they can and if needed, hahaha! Thanks to all for the support!

SO, had my procedure today. Everything went well, sort of uneventful. I've gone my whole life until now never once having an IV put in. That...wasn't pleasant, but still interesting to witness.

Yeah, this just wheeled me in, knocked me out, did the thing and I woke up with a sore throat and a strange craving for a burrito.

Glad it went well for you! Hope you have a speedy recovery! I've been home all day for the last few weeks, can barely go to work and school. Sucks but I'm glad most of my professors have been understanding, but I think I may need to drop some more classes :(

Op sure is a drama queen lol. Congrats on the butt surgery.

What can I say, anything related to doctors scares me. I did not have good experiences as a kid lol

I feel your pain buddy.

I had my 4th removed a few months back. I seem to have a knack for getting the pesky buggers :(. Wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks man, I'm sorry to hear they're still coming back for you. Had a pal who needed to do flap surgery for the 4th one, you should look into it! Means you won't be able to sit down for a good while, but it's better than nothing!

Not like I've been able to sit down either, lol

Not got time to read the entire OP just now as I'm up in 5 hours but mate what a coincidence, I think I'm suffering from one right now. There is a huge lump in my fucking ass cheek which showed up 2 days ago, right at the top of my crack on the right hand side and it is so painful. I've got work tomorrow which is quite laborious and I'm dreading it. Just gonna pop some pain killers and take a pillow to sit on in the car, hopefully I'll be alright. Was wanting to lance that shit tonight as I've suffered from a few cysts before which I've managed to drain and leave to get better themselves but I just dunno. I'm not registered at local doctors yet either but I really don't wanna face surgery. I'll read your full OP tomorrow and hopefully it will help me decide what to do, thanks.

Get yourself registered and do the surgery mate, I am a full-on-full scaredy cat, so if I can do it you can do it 3 times over. No, I hope that doesn't have to happen, keep us updated!

Just had one burst last night-and went in to get the rest squeezed out this morning. The doc said I had a golfball sized amount of pus. Fucking painful and disgusting.

Man I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully it's the last of it. Crossing my fingers for you, this has not been a fun experience for me.

Can we discuss that you dreamed about Hatsune Miku? Thanks for the interesting story and now I am terrified of.ingrown hairs, but you really need to contemplate your life choices if you dream about a Hatsune Miku game.

A good read, OP. Glad it all went well.

I think it's because games like Tetris and the rhythm genre in general gets you into an almost trance-like state where you're really focused. So it sticks in your brain more. That's just my armchair theory. :p

Video game dreams have never really been common for me, and these days specifically I hardly remember any dreams, which is why I was incredibly confused after I woke up from the OR lol.

It was actually kinda cool, I wish it last longer :)

MechaX

Had one removed a few years ago, and goddamn I am glad I did. It was like raw nerves where even the slightest touch or movement would have it jump to extreme pain.

Disagree. The sinus is both the result and potential route of infection. I argue that the initial inflammatory response involving the ingrowing hair is also an infection in and of itself. Depending on which author writes on the topic, that seems to be the case. The microscopic observation of foreign body giant cells within a chronic sinus tract supports that.
sqTuX1a.png

It's pretty much a semantics argument. I never argued whether an asymptomatic pilonidal sinus should be operated on. Only whether the presence of a sinus was indicative of at least a previous infection.

I did a short stint in the hospital where I was able to go on rounds with doctors for about a week. I saw someone who had an abscess removed [it may have been something similar]. When I go there they were changing the dressing and repacking it. It's definitely not the most pleasant thing. Also for 6 weeks while doing my physical therapy clinicals I was with a PT that did wound care. It doesn't get much worse than that. Wound care in that capacity is definitely not for the squeamish.

Top Bottom