• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate loot.

I have mixed feelings on it. It can be extremely addicting and rewarding when you get that weapon/armor that is much better than what you have--in the same light it is incredibly annoying having your inventory getting filled with junk that you have to filter through.

Alex

I adore good loot systems and management

It doesn't belong in everything but the AAA crap they shoehorn it into I'm not going to play anyway so I'm not going to complain.

Ehhhh loot systems aren't like those things at all. The rest of the things you describe are pure filler, but loot is (usually) an important mechanic, essential to progression. You don't like it and that's fine, you probably just don't like RPGs very much, but it's not the same thing as bonus collectibles or whatnot, c'mon..

I'm certainly generalizing and I've played games that use loot in a measured and meaningful way. But more often than not the surplus of detritus you pick up just leads to having to spend more time staring at menu screens which is like the least fun aspect of video games ever (and yeah, as you can imagine I'm definitely not the biggest fan of RPG's haha). I think Bloodborne handles loot really well as far as RPG games go. It has its share of junk items that I'm never gonna touch, but tying the narrative to the items, placing them in meaningful locations, and cutting out a lot of the crap-tier stuff that's present in the Souls games (especially in terms of weapons) helps streamline the system more to my liking.

But shit like The Witcher 3 and Elder Scrolls/Fallout? I just don't have the patience to deal with all the deluge of junk that inevitably accrues in the inventory screens anymore.

You do know there are games you can play without loot right? Loot is a staple of the vast majority of RPG games, if it bothers you so much, you can find linear story driven games without loot/crafting to play. Problem solved.

RPGs are my favorite games.

Top Bottom