• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have £200-300 to spend on headphones but I need some guidance!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I’m reluctant to go for an AKG set since they got bought out by Samsung, there’s apparently been some issues regarding QA in recent years.

And the DT990’s sound fantastic but have quite a high impedance for my needs, I’d likely need an amp which I’d like to avoid.
They seems to be resolved, I believe it's still most comfortable headphones manufactuer. I think they fits great any sort of media, because they have pretty neutral sound.

Great, now I feel I need to get one but I am to sworn to Koss :p
How is the build quality? There been done early concerns.
And how is bass? Can these get low?
Last video I will post on the K361 vs K371. He goes through the build issues and differences between them, K371 is the way to go between them.

If your main interest is gaming though, I would go open back. Read good things about the Beyer 300r.

NinjaBoiX

The hell is that attached to his computer? Holographic anime waifu?
Oh man, I’ve watched a couple of his reviews but it’s like some stream of consciousness nonsense. He just meanders around the actual point with all these awkward pauses and random tangents.

“How are the fucking headphones mate?!? Are they any good or not?”

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh man, I’ve watched a couple of his reviews but it’s like some stream of consciousness nonsense. He just meanders around the actual point with all these awkward pauses and random tangents.

“How are the fucking headphones mate?!? Are they any good or not?”
Any guy who reviews audio equipment is kind of like that from what I've seen. Try researching speakers. Holy shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Last video I will post on the K361 vs K371. He goes through the build issues and differences between them, K371 is the way to go between them.

If your main interest is gaming though, I would go open back. Read good things about the Beyer 300r.

wait... beyerdynamic that is 32ohm and less than 200usd ?! And with a cable that is reasonable length, not coiled and not 5 meters ?!
ok then, I am interested lol.
Edit: nope. not shipping to Poland and I am not getting microphonr bundle. I could get 10xPorta Pro for this and be set for life :p

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m reluctant to go for an AKG set since they got bought out by Samsung, there’s apparently been some issues regarding QA in recent years.

And the DT990’s sound fantastic but have quite a high impedance for my needs, I’d likely need an amp which I’d like to avoid.
FWIW I have a pair of the DT 1990 Pros and they don’t require an amp to drive. Works well with just a cellphone. I would of course recommend a DAC & Amp but it’s not entirely necessary.

NinjaBoiX

FWIW I have a pair of the DT 1990 Pros and they don’t require an amp to drive. Works well with just a cellphone. I would of course recommend a DAC & Amp but it’s not entirely necessary.
Ah ok, 250ohms sounds like they’d definitely benefit from an amp! Reviews seem to comment on the lacklustre bass too, which is a bit of a killer for me.

NinjaBoiX

OK, thanks so much for your help guys but you know what, screw it, I’m just going to order the the Fidelio X2HR’s. I’m sick of humming and harring over the decision!

The worst I’ve heard about them really is that they have some overly bright treble with some tracks, which is an issue for me, but all the options in this price range have some compromises. Out of the choices I had nailed down (which are all very comfortable apparently, an absolute must):

Fidelio X2HR - great bass and soundstage with solid imaging, but some slightly bright treble in some tracks and slightly restrained mids

Senn HD599 - very Sennheiser, very German, solid if slightly dull performer, not hugely exciting but a sound purchase

AKG 712 Pro - wide, exciting sound, great for gaming, but needs an amp and has issues with treble

Beyer DT990 - great performer but has issues with bass, build quality and again, benefits from an amp

The Fidelio’s are the only ones that I was actually excited about ordering, every option since seems to come with too many caveats. The Fidelio’s have been sat there in the back of my mind as the ones I want to go for, I’m reluctant to pull the trigger when I consider any of the others, and kind of bored at the prospect of the Senn’s, even though I know they’ll be “good”. I have a set of Senn’s anyway, variety is the spice and all that!

I’ll order them today, should arrive by the weekend. Will update with impressions!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Don’t be a stranger, stop by the audiophile thread

Top Bottom