• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have never played the Witcher III --- should I?

Desless1

I had to restart 3 times over the last years before it clicked. My problem, I didnt give it a good enough of chance and time. Once I completed the Baron quests, it just clicked, and what a ride.

Take your time, enjoy the vistas and take it all in.

mr.dilya

Banned
Yeah I started it around 3 weeks ago and I have about 65 hours in and am JUST now about to finish the main quest line, just in time for Cyberpunk.

I recommend playing it on hard, because the combat is a little too easy once you get used to it. People complain about the combat but I actually enjoy it...it's not sekiro or souls level deep but it is serviceable, and fucking around with the different signs in battle is fun.

The Witcher 3 is probably one of the most engrossing and relaxing games I've ever played in my life.

Triss is wifey.

Elcid

Banned
This game is weird to me. I beat 1 and 2 and loved them both. It's been over 4 years since I started 3 and I still can't beat. I'm somewhere in Skellige. To me there's just too much content. It's a good game, but realistically I'll never beat it or it's DLC which is supposed to be amazing yet add hours upon hours of content. I just feel like after spending so much time in the world already, besides an ending, there's really nothing else left for me in it.

intbal

You'll appreciate the story and the character of Geralt much more if you start with Witcher 2 (the better game, imo).
It's a similar game, but more narrowly focused. Quite a bit more linear. Bonus points: You don't have to waste time jumping into Ciri's story.

WItcher 1, though, feels like it's from a different century. I recommend watching a video of that one, instead.

Old Hound

Neo Member
Yes, it's definitely worth it. It doesn't matter if you haven't played the first two installments: part 3 is a self-contained game, and is easily the best (in my opinion), so I'd recommend to play it first.

The main storyline is about 60h, which can be long (and even longer if you do side quests, my playthrough was ~220h, also with the DLCs). However, it's easy to play the story in parts, as every time the plot advances it takes you to a different region. In particular, you could complete the story in the place you start in (White Orchard) in about 7-8h, save the game, and keep the rest for later.

Shubh_C63

You have to ask this ? Its one of the highest rated game of the generation and trust me CDPR fully expects people to not have played W1/W2.
You atleast owe yourself to try it once, especially on PC where it is laughably cheap.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it. It was my favorite game of the last generation, hands down. The game is gorgeous in every perceivable way, the story is great, the combat is also really good, and the world just feels... alive, fully realized. It's populated in the right areas and pretty much every NPC you end up talking to feels far more personable and realistic than NPC's in other games. They also send you on a pretty diverse range of side quests.

Bolivar687

Banned
If you're planning on playing Cyberpunk, I wouldn't recommend starting it just days before the new game comes out. I suppose you could just play the first few hours as the prologue's starting area is intended to be a taste of the main game.

johntown

Banned
If you end up liking the game then it won't be long enough. If you enjoy long open world story driven RPG's then you will like The Witcher 3.

The DLC is well worth it as well. My only complaint is the combat can get a bit repetitive and there no a whole lot of depth to it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If you're planning on playing Cyberpunk, I wouldn't recommend starting it just days before the new game comes out. I suppose you could just play the first few hours as the prologue's starting area is intended to be a taste of the main game.

Sounds like the perfect time to start Witcher 3. By the time he's finished, Cyberpunk might have a patch or two behind it to iron out some of the bugs.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
It's a great game, but you really have to be in the mood for the genre of it or like those themes. It can be a tad slow at times as well I thought. I was personally not a huge fan of the genre, so it was hard for me to get in to it. Cyberpunk is much more up my alley. Despite all that, it's easy to see why it's regarded so highly by people. I'd like to give it another chance some day, maybe I can get in to the lore & story a bit more.

I never played Wtcher 1-2, and never was interested in 3, but tried it after a sale and hve to say, Witcher 3 is the best RPG I have ever played, and this is form someone who palyed Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights and etc.

Probably. Combat can get pretty tedious not because it's especially bad, but the game is so long that okay combat gets very tiresome. And it spoils what would be exploring a beautiful open world with ubisoft style shopping list objectives all over the place that have little meaningful variation between them and offer trash rewards. If you have a completionist mentality they could be a big problem.

Other than that Witcher 3 is extremely high quality. Story, dialogue, characters, graphics and quest design all match the game's ridiculous reputation. I don't like it as much as most but it's a game so impressive that everyone should give it a try. I stopped playing Witcher 2 pretty early because I found the combat too clunky, in my opinion you don't need to play it to enjoy Witcher 3. BUT you should watch the opening cutscene to Witcher 2 because it's the one of the best cutscenes ever, better than the cutscenes in Witcher 3.

I had to restart 3 times over the last years before it clicked. My problem, I didnt give it a good enough of chance and time. Once I completed the Baron quests, it just clicked, and what a ride.

Take your time, enjoy the vistas and take it all in.

Very similar to my story

FunkMiller

NO! It’s a terrible game!

actually it’s an amazing game I’m just still salty that it beat Bloodborne play it now

Jimx26

Still yet to play this. Bought the GOTY edition a while back. Really should jump in after reading all the positive comments.

klosos

Yep, its a wonderful experience, The Characters , world building and Narrative are second to none in my opinion. Also, CD projeckt Red done a great job in making the Cities in the game feel really alive. Also the Soundtrack is Fantastic.

However i did take 10 Hours to really fall in love with it and from that point i didn't want to put it down.

Hopefully they re-release it on PS5 so i can platinum it again

Last edited:
If you're easily burned out by "open world" games and aren't hungering for a Game of Thrones-esque fantasy... I'd pass.

I couldn't keep myself going past 10 hours.

On all accounts it is a great game, just not my cup of tea at the time (I keep meaning to try it again).

mrMUR_96

Tried to get into it 3 times and it's just not me for me. The combat is clunky and I just could never connect with the characters or enjoy the setting that much.
I'm sure it's worth at least a try though.

Having just finished 3 and sunk 200+ hours into both it and the DLC, I would say it is absolutely a must play.

I cannot believe I slept on it for so many years.

poodaddy

Yeah you should play it. You should also play 2 because it's better. It's more concise, doesn't have much fluff, more interesting story, (political intrigue and what not, my kinda bag), and is incredibly replayable as it's essentially two completely different games in one depending on a choice you make early on.

But yeah play 3, it's great.

poodaddy

I heard it is getting a next gen patch, is that true?
Yeah they said it's getting a next gen version that's free for current owners and what not, or at least I know they said it'd be free for current owners on PC, I don't really know how that'll work on console. I'm also curious about this, I'd love to hear some more about it. I'm very curious as to how mod friendly it will be, and whether it will use Halk's textures as the default or not, as he kind of hinted about something big coming soon on his most recent video. I don't know, but I definitely wanna hear more about this at some point.

Mozzarella

Its a masterpiece imo. But dont play it now, now is the time to play Cyberpunk and not Witcher 3.

To get the best out of the Witcher 3 it is recommended that you play at least Witcher 2 if you can. Witcher 1 is outdated and janky, but it also has the good story and atmosphere.
Best part of Witcher 3 imo is the 2 DLCs. Its the peak.

I suggest leaving it aside for now as its really huge game, and play Cyberpunk instead and join us in the OT thread.

Edit:
If you want me to tell you if you are most likely going to enjoy it or not, you have to tell me what do you look for in a video game and what are your favorite video games, then tell me what trends bother you in video games. After you tell me those i can give you a guaranteed answer if you should buy it or not.

Last edited:
I did a LTTP post about the Witcher 3 which i just finished during this pandemic. Overall, my experience is the Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. I'm now half way through the Blood & Wine which is also fantastic. I had no idea it was an entire map! And holy shit, i always dreamed of having a vineyard. Anyways, Witcher 3 is a game at the least, you should try it out. But mind you, it's a fucking long game. It's like playing a book.

I put about 20 hours in and uninstalled it.

Probably one of the most boring games I've ever played with the worst combat system I've ever experienced in an RPG.

It sure looks pretty though. Even now.

But yeah, dull as fuck.

That's how I feel; I couldn't quite place it. Combat was super meh and it was dull. Horizon is how to do a semi-open world right, IMO. Last open world I beat before that was AC II.

chikydee

Neo Member
Yes of course. It's a lot better than witcher 1 and 2, and doesn't require that you play those games in order to enjoy witcher 3. One of the best games I've ever played. Recommend you play the DLCs too they are top notch.

TheContact

If you do decide to play 3, I recommend watching summaries on YouTube to get yourself acquainted with the characters and the overarching story without having to invest tens of hours into a couple video games to play the best one.

BaneIsPain

Go for it. Yes, the combat is average but still enjoyable. Do it for the story. Never regret purchase gtx970 solely for this game.

Top Bottom