• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have one question about Vita's 3G connectivy...

Emitan

jamesinclair said:
Im confused. I thought the super ridiculous prices for play-by-hour over 3G were because.....well, you could play games over it.

But on top of the $50 price difference, we're being asked to pay by hour to access.....facebook and online rankings? And I guess the youtubes?

Seriously?

How come Kindle lets you do basic web browsing for free?
Because most people using a Kindle aren't going to be web browsing or streaming video. Those things are possible and feasible on a Vita.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jamesinclair said:

It's subsidized by Amazon and no one uses more than a few megabytes a month on their Kindle, and when they do it's almost certainly to buy books from Amazon which allows them to help pay for the 3G/subsidy.

Any word on how much the 3G model is going to cost on TOP of someone having an ATT data plan?

I have an Iphone 4 w/ a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can I just plug my att account into my vita and it recognizes my service and boom...on 3g w/ no extra fee? Or is it like the ipad and I gotta pay an extra monthly fee for 3g connectivity for the device?

gcubed

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure. I don't find 3G uses any more battery than Wifi, maybe even less, but if the original quoted figure didn't involve any network connectivity, hard to say.

yes, wifi draws more power then 3G does. Also, 3G isn't "always on" if you turn it off. I can't forsee a device not being able to turn off its 3G radio.

Also the 3G Vita has GPS, whereas the wifi model uses skyhook location services

Emitan

Mammoth Jones said:
Any word on how much the 3G model is going to cost on TOP of someone having an ATT data plan?

I have an Iphone 4 w/ a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can I just plug my att account into my vita and it recognizes my service and boom...on 3g w/ no extra fee? Or is it like the ipad and I gotta pay an extra monthly fee for 3g connectivity for the device?
I've been switching unsubsidized phones for a while on AT&T and besides having to start paying a smart phone tax when I switched from a dumb phone to my old iPhone, nothing's really changed. I don't think there will be any issue just putting your sim card in as long as you already have a smartphone plan.

Billychu said:
I've been switching unsubsidized phones for a while on AT&T and besides having to start paying a smart phone tax when I switched from a dumb phone to my old iPhone, nothing's really changed. I don't think there will be any issue just putting your sim card in as long as you already have a smartphone plan.

Ugh. So I'd have to completely remove my iPhone's sim card, rendering my entire phone useless in order to have 3G connectivity on my Vita?

I probably wouldn't do that as it's too much of a hassle. I'd probably just stick with the wifi model if that's the case. It's everywhere anyways, work, home, moms house, friends house...etc

But if Sony had some deal w/ ATT where subscribers to data plans could use their existing data plans without penalty (or being forced to drop down to 2gb/mo plans as is required if you wish to add tethering to your plan) I'd plurge and get the 3G model.

Emitan

I've played games on AT&T 3G before. It depends on your area and what game you're playing. I would never play Street Fighter on it, but maybe I'd play a co-op game.

rozay

Banned
Mammoth Jones said:
Ugh. So I'd have to completely remove my iPhone's sim card, rendering my entire phone useless in order to have 3G connectivity on my Vita?

I probably wouldn't do that as it's too much of a hassle. I'd probably just stick with the wifi model if that's the case. It's everywhere anyways, work, home, moms house, friends house...etc

But if Sony had some deal w/ ATT where subscribers to data plans could use their existing data plans without penalty (or being forced to drop down to 2gb/mo plans as is required if you wish to add tethering to your plan) I'd plurge and get the 3G model.
They will probably treat the Vita the way they currently do iPads and other tablets for 3G data, where you have a separate data plan.

Billychu said:
I've played games on AT&T 3G before. It depends on your area and what game you're playing. I would never play Street Fighter on it, but maybe I'd play a co-op game.

It's REALLY good at home, but it's TERRIBLE in NYC. Completely useless in most cases.

rozay said:
They will probably treat the Vita the way they currently do iPads and other tablets for 3G data, where you have a separate data plan.

Yea...definitely not paying 20/month for Vita 3G connectivity. Wifi it is.

goomba

Banned
Iv played Wipeout PS3 via a 3g connection shared via my phones wifi tethering

It worked surprisingly ok . Only did so because my ADSL was down :)

knitoe

Ermac said:
The iPhone gets worse battery life browsing on wifi. Unsure about the Vita, but I'm guessing it would be similar.
That's incorrect. If you are experiencing that, something is wrong. Might want to do a firmware restore.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man said:
3G model switches to Wifi mode whenever such a conneciton is available.
You are offline with the Wifi model if no open Wifi network in reach.

The Wifi model isn't superior in any fashion except price (and you loose a lot by saving those $50).
I'm not sure about you but I play the majority of my portable systems at home. Saving fifty dollars makes the wifi only version much more suitable for ME. If you can't play the majority of the vita catalogue online (and why would you want to with that horrendous battery life) then how can you really consider the 3G version superior at the cost of 50 more bucks?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm picking up the wifi model BUT if I was going to get the 3g version, it would only be used for social features and maybe updates(?).

Wifi would be the only way I would game

dallow_bg

nods at old men
EloquentM said:
I'm not sure about you but I play the majority of my portable systems at home. Saving fifty dollars makes the wifi only version much more suitable for ME. If you can't play the majority of the vita catalogue online (and why would you want to with that horrendous battery life) then how can you really consider the 3G version superior at the cost of 50 more bucks?
That's why if they do the 'pay for xx hours' method here, it'd work for me.

I play mostly at home too, but on the few times when I am out with the device. I could just use the pre-paid time. Which I'm sure would last me a while.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
dallow_bg said:

I play mostly at home too, but on the few times when I am out with the device. I could just use the pre-paid time. Which I'm sure would last me a while.
Prepaid time would be sufficient.

dallow_bg said:

The pre-paid time has an expiration day, thought... I think 3 months?

When my internet went out, I had to depend on my cell phone's 3G connection acting as a WiFi hotspot and was able to stream Netflix with it... didn't try to play any games though.

OldJadedGamer said:
When my internet went out, I had to depend on my cell phone's 3G connection acting as a WiFi hotspot and was able to stream Netflix with it... didn't try to play any games though.

How was the streaming.

Fernando Rocker said:
The pre-paid time has an expiration day, thought... I think 3 months?
Since many sites seem to be missing it, I'll just post the details from the NTT Docomo press release here:
http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201109140313.html

- Two pre-paid plans:
1) 100 hour plan 4980 yen - 103 hours total: 3 hrs. at (max) 14Mbps down/5.7Mbps Up, 100 hrs. at (max) 128kbps down/64kbps up. Expires in 180 days.
2) 20 hour plan 980 yen - 20 hrs. at (max) 128kbps down/64kbps up. Expires in 30 days

- (Re-)Activation fee: 2100 yen; Waived for first-time users. Basically, when your time expires, you have 14 days after the expiration date to renew your plan. If you do not renew your plan before the 14 days are up, you will need to pay the fee to re-activate if you sign-up again in the future.

yurinka

Fernando Rocker said:
Is it possible to play online games with the 3G functionality?
I would say no due to latency, speed, signal not always available everywhere, etc.

Fernando Rocker said:
If I recall correctly, the only games we are going to be able to play online are asynchronous modes, like for example, Hot Shots Golf.

3G download speeds are good, but the latency is very high.

So... the 3G will be used mostly for the social features and Near, right?

tsjXx.jpg
Near, Facebook, web browsing, PSN store, party chat, game gifts asynchronous multiplayer, etc is ok for 3G.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently using a wireless 3G dongle for PC internet out in the sticks, and last night I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I could play Portal 2 with a friend (he is in Hong Kong, I am in Japan) pretty much flawlessly - with voice chat and all.

I would not recommend something like SSFIV:AE though...

Infinite Justice said:
How was the streaming.

I was doing a LOST marathon at the time and the quality was great. Not HD of course but better than network TV. Oddly when I streamed Netlfix from my iPad using the 3G it looked like crap but on the 360 it was great.

OldJadedGamer said:
I was doing a LOST marathon at the time and the quality was great. Not HD of course but better than network TV. Oddly when I streamed Netlfix from my iPad using the 3G it looked like crap but on the 360 it was great.

Very Interesting i wonder how it would work on the Vita

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
When I create a 3g HOTSPOT via my phone, I can play Call of Duty on PSN just fine. Nobody seems to complain about any lag.

syoaran

How much use the 3G will get out of games on the device is a moot point at this stage. The first wave of titles will all have some sort of 3G functionality in them if they believe its worth having, and after that any social functionality will depend on how many 3G devices sold compared to the WiFi model.

However, the examples given of simulation or turn based games could work well, and don't require a user to have 3G to participate

spwolf

jamesinclair said:
Im confused. I thought the super ridiculous prices for play-by-hour over 3G were because.....well, you could play games over it.

But on top of the $50 price difference, we're being asked to pay by hour to access.....facebook and online rankings? And I guess the youtubes?

Seriously?

unless you live in japan, i doubt you will have to pay per-hour for 3G... it will be like any smart phone or internet 3G card.

hodgy100

At uni because i had to share an internet connection with 50 other people, online gaming was a no go so i used to tether my pc and ps3 to my phone. it was good enough, i was getting around 130ms ping which is more than i would like but it's better than nothing.

Edit: just ran a speedtest and i get 85ms not bad for some casual online gaming tbh

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
party games (acrophobia, for example!)
hahah such a random place to mention acrophobia but i'm glad i caught it.

they need to re-release the berkeley acrophobia on the social networks or something. anything

DiscoJer

I used to have Verizon 3G.

When it worked (which was only for the first 8 months of the contract) I could play games on it.

I only had the month trial of XBL Gold, and all I had was Forza 2 (which worked okay, but had some warping of opponent cars) and Catan (which worked great)

MMORPGs were fine, even when PvPing..

A lot would depend - Verizon had two different levels of connectivity - one was 3G, the other was National Access, which not only was slower, but routed me through Chicago, which is 300 miles away. It would sometimes flip between them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I rarely get over 80ms at home on my 3G. (Verizon, North San Diego County)
I've been gaming on it for 5 years. I didn't know it was supposed to be terrible for that.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
TAJ said:
I rarely get over 80ms at home on my 3G. (Verizon, North San Diego County)
I've been gaming on it for 5 years. I didn't know it was supposed to be terrible for that.
The whole point of 3G is internet in parts that are not your home...

Top Bottom