• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I joined the Covid Crew.

Sega Orphan

Banned
My kid got Covid from school and of course I had to catch it off him.
How many other GAFers have had covid?
I was double vaccinated, but we have known the vaccine does very little to stop you catching it. Kid was unvaccinated and he walked through it like it was nothing. If he hadn't of been notified as a close contact and tested we would not have known he had it. I have a scratchy throat, cough, a bit heady. No fever or chills.
I'm doing my own treatment at home and hopefully can get back to work in about 5 days.

MikeM

I tested positive a week from today. Child got it from daycare, passed to me, etc

Basically like a cold for me. Took three days off work, back to work Tues - Thurs, then today fuck me I got hit with vertigo. Still coughing pretty strongly too.

Killing my gains.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I'm still dodging it!

Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

OP you can add a poll so maybe you can get a quick visual of how many GAFers have gotten it.

As for me... Haven't gotten it -- not that I know of, anyway. (During the early and middle of 2020, they did keep talking about the "asymptomatic" stuff, even though I don't hear about that anymore...)

It's not for lack of socialization, either. Since the pandemic started, I've gone through two girlfriends (going to multiple dates to places; sometimes multiple dates per week), spent time with family, and with friends, although in fairness my time with family dramatically decreased during the pandemic. On the flip side though, I cancelled my gym membership (started working out at home), have been working remotely the whole time, and didn't go to any events with lots of people (concerts, sport events, etc.)

Susurrus

Not yet. We go out to eat some, and aren't running 0 risk, but are holding off on certain things like crowded events, flying, and some other stuff and continuing to wear 95/94 masks until my youngest can get vaccinated so that might help. I know the risk for the youngest is low, but one of my son's friends was hospitalized that wasn't vaccinated, and I have family that told me horror stories from a children's hospital she worked in until recently. Hopefully those come soon, though.

Lone Wolf

Got it in January. Daughter got it 2 weeks ago. She is unvaccinated, I had the J+J shot a year ago, but no boosters. We were both sick for about 3 days. Bad cold/mild flu is all.

my wife, brother, and I got it a few months back. I had a small pain in the chest, my brother felt bad for 1 night. My wife got a runny nose. I and my brother are vaccinated, my wife, isn't. I guess we got Omicron.

VN1X

Banned
I wear my mask in my sleep even (also during sex) and I've gotten covid 7 times.

If it wasn't for the mask and the triple jab it would've probably been more.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s so many ways to tackle Covid you’re going to end up staying hydrated and resting no doubt. I would be trying like crazy to get a booster or vaccine appointment.

spawn

I have not had it once. I don't know if I'm lucky or what. Half of my coworkers in the office got it during the omicron spread early this year. I've been to 2 concerts with no masks. I've traveled twice including to New York City. I also went to a football game last year

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was double vaccinated, but we have known the vaccine does very little to stop you catching it. Kid was unvaccinated and he walked through it like it was nothing. If he hadn't of been notified as a close contact and tested we would not have known he had it. I have a scratchy throat, cough, a bit heady. No fever or chills.
I'm doing my own treatment at home and hopefully can get back to work in about 5 days.

So... What are your symptoms? Have either of you been hospitalized? Fever? Had to take bed rest?

If none of those, then the vaccine is working.

I had it in 2020... Very bad cough...no fever... No ability to taste or smell, either ... Which sucked because it was around Thanksgiving. Couldn't enjoy food whatsoever. Took 3 weeks until I got back to normal.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got it from work in Feb, I woke up with a headache but it passed as the day went on.
Didn't think nothing of it.
Then heard one of the staff had went home because they tested positive.
Did a test and low and behold I was Positive.
Tested negative two days later, it was weird because other then that headache in the morning I was fine.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don’t know how I don’t have it. Two of my kids got it at two different times. I still tucked them in and kissed them good night. Literally zero difference for me in the way I acted. I’m triple vaxed though so maybe that helped?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Still dodging it, probably thanks to leaving the UK, which is getting pounded again now with Omicron 2: Omicron Harder.

Irobot82

Got it, worse than a cold, less than a flu. Double vaxxed. Felt different than both. Smell has been permanently altered.

Sega Orphan

Banned
So... What are your symptoms? Have either of you been hospitalized? Fever? Had to take bed rest?

If none of those, then the vaccine is working.

I had it in 2020... Very bad cough...no fever... No ability to taste or smell, either ... Which sucked because it was around Thanksgiving. Couldn't enjoy food whatsoever. Took 3 weeks until I got back to normal.
Nah, the vaccine isn't working like it was promoted to. I have had alot of friends around me get Covid, a good number vaccinated and a good number not, many in the same household. My friends sister, her husband, their two kids and his father are all living in the same house. All got covid. The father and his sister were vaxxed, and her husband and the two kids (12 and 14) wernt vaccinated. No difference in symptoms between them. My son isn't vaccinated and is 10 yo, had absolutely no symptoms. I'm fully vaccinated and I have a cough, now hot and cold, heady and sore throat.
I could go on, but in these current times I'm sure the admin don't want a covid vaccine debate.
I'm not anti Vax, I'm actually fully vaccinated with Moderna.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Nah, the vaccine isn't working like it was promoted to. I have had alot of friends around me get Covid, a good number vaccinated and a good number not, many in the same household. My friends sister, her husband, their two kids and his father are all living in the same house. All got covid. The father and his sister were vaxxed, and her husband and the two kids (12 and 14) wernt vaccinated. No difference in symptoms between them. My son isn't vaccinated and is 10 yo, had absolutely no symptoms. I'm fully vaccinated and I have a cough, now hot and cold, heady and sore throat.
I could go on, but in these current times I'm sure the admin don't want a covid vaccine debate.
I'm not anti Vax, I'm actually fully vaccinated with Moderna.

Coolio. I appreciate the explanation.

I had the Pfizer shot. Haven't been boosted yet. Can't get a decent date and time to go. Work... Smh

That said... I hope.you feel better soon!

Mistake

I probably got something back in October. I used a public restroom like an idiot, and then my taste was bland for 3 days. That was it. My doc still hounded me about getting the vax after, but I told him “what’s the point if I already beat it? I don’t want to screw up a good thing.” Covid wise, I haven’t had a problem since

GeekyDad

It knocked the shit out of me a few months ago, and my wife literally had a nervous breakdown. Couldn't get her to sleep for 48 hours, but thankfully, after she did sleep, for like a solid 16 hours, she couldn't remember a thing. Took a good few weeks for her to fully recover.

Doom85

It knocked the shit out of me a few months ago, and my wife literally had a nervous breakdown. Couldn't get her to sleep for 48 hours, but thankfully, after she did sleep, for like a solid 16 hours, she couldn't remember a thing. Took a good few weeks for her to fully recover.

Sucks to hear, glad you’re both okay now. Had a friend who got it around in May of 2020, and among other issues she had serious trouble breathing for the two weeks she suffered from it. I’m not sure if she had a weaker immune system since she’s only in her 30’s like me but just glad she pulled through, it was scary hearing about it.

I am fortunate that I have a Super Saiyan level immune system, like at 35 I‘ve not been sick since elementary school save for having serious stomach pain for a day about five years ago but I knew that was because I had eaten way too much the night before. So for all I know I have had COVID and not even been aware of it. Honestly the second vaccine shot and then later the booster did make me fatigued the next day after getting them but after that I was all good.

alstrike

I got it a couple of days ago after dodging it for 2 years. Terrible throat pain and cough but it’s getting better.

I have 3 jabs, I don’t know how bad it would be if I wasn’t vaccinated.

sinnergy

I have not had it once. I don't know if I'm lucky or what. Half of my coworkers in the office got it during the omicron spread early this year. I've been to 2 concerts with no masks. I've traveled twice including to New York City. I also went to a football game last year
Some people don’t catch it. They are now researching why , I didn’t catch it either , but I had a terrible virus when I was 18. They think these people have a better immunity.

sinnergy

I probably got something back in October. I used a public restroom like an idiot, and then my taste was bland for 3 days. That was it. My doc still hounded me about getting the vax after, but I told him “what’s the point if I already beat it? I don’t want to screw up a good thing.” Covid wise, I haven’t had a problem since
COVID is a corona virus , you can catch corona viruses multiple times , just like the flu.

GymWolf

To this day i still don't know how nobody in my family got this thing after 2 years...

We are not even avid mask users or people who stay at home all the time...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Had it, due to working in a hospital recieved double vac + booster.
First few days weren't nice and then it just kept on lingering which was more annoying than anything else.

Family got caught too: Father had a zappy nose, Mother had similar as me.

So it depends and it reacts uniquely per user.
I was double vaccinated, but we have known the vaccine does very little to stop you catching it.
It does a whole lot into reducing the severity of its symptoms. It never was communicated (atleast here) that Vaccines = You completely stop catching it altogether.
I hear invading an Eastern European country cures it pretty well.
Chillingly dark as it sounds, i get what you are referring to. Ever since that happened, there is practically no media coverage anymore beyond the ''We are just letting it go'' style narrative.

That doesn't mean its gone, none at all. But atleast there is an attempt to change the perception: No more media coverage/It does not exist anymore.

That it works is observed daily at my work. People are running overtime because hey, we have a lot of new Covid patients again. Ain't that great.
Nah, the vaccine isn't working like it was promoted to.
I am rather curious how it was promoted to you then, but then you say this:
I have had alot of friends around me get Covid, a good number vaccinated and a good number not, many in the same household. My friends sister, her husband, their two kids and his father are all living in the same house. All got covid. The father and his sister were vaxxed, and her husband and the two kids (12 and 14) wernt vaccinated. No difference in symptoms between them.
The virus reacts uniquely per-user. You honestly can't tell how you will react until you got it. See my own situation: My dad had very little symptoms, i had lingering issues outlasting the standardized time it takes to get rid of it.

All the vaccines do is reduce the severity of the effects of the virus in the case you were getting infected.

All the best to your recovery.
Coolio. I appreciate the explanation.
Its not a great explanation because it implies that vaccines do not work the way they should because some unvaccinated people get nothing and double vaccinated people get sick. There is a world of nuance inbetween that which isn't shared and henceforth i commented.

I'm pretty sure me and my parents got it waaay back in late January 2020. Probably some of first undiagnosed cases in UK, was just hitting news about China blocking up tunnels and stuff lol, those were the days!

Parents on way back from Australia, stopped off in Singapore for connecting flight.
Got back, my mum had a bad "cold" and slept for a few days straight, my dad got it hard, ended up driving him to hospital, but back then, there was no name for it, no idea what to look for, we sat in reception, no masks for about an hour or so. Pretty sure we spread covid to half of Manchester that day 😂 sorry!
The hospital ran a battery of tests and admitted it had no real idea what was going on. Put him on mixed antibiotics. He recovered after a week.
I had man flu symptoms a week later

NahaNago

Had a uncle have it, and I've been notified that tons of coworkers have had it but never got it myself. It was disturbing getting notified week after week that someone got covid at work.

It went through my house. Me and my girl are late 30s. Kids are teens. I would have thought it was just a regular cold if not for covid hype and testing. You're gonna make it.

Braag

Still haven't gotten it and I've been going to work normally since this whole thing started.
My GF got it but I somehow still didn't get it. Been to tests a dozen times cause co-workers or family have gotten it but I'm still dodging.

Billbofet

I have had it twice. Once in March of 2021 and this past holiday season. The first time I had it, it was like a mild cold. My wife and I both had it at the same time and we both lost smell/taste for a couple of days.
When I got it around the holidays, it was like a very, very mild cold, but I had an earth-shattering headache for two days.

I am vaxxed through this all, and the worst I have suffered was the second dose knocked me on my ass for three days. I was so fatigued I could barely move and had that splitting headache for days.
I also work fully remote, take precautions, etc. so I think it's just luck of the draw in some cases.

My son (7) tested positive four weeks ago and had zero symptoms. We found out two days after a regular checkup at the doctor that he had tested positive.

Mistake

COVID is a corona virus , you can catch corona viruses multiple times , just like the flu.
That doesn’t change what I said. If I’m fine the first time, no reason why I wouldn’t be the second time. Also had H1N1 before, no problem. For people who don’t deal with these things well, I understand the extra precautions

JayK47

Unless you have been living in a cave by yourself for the last 3 years, you have likely had it multiple times. Many cases have little to no symptoms.

sinnergy

That doesn’t change what I said. If I’m fine the first time, no reason why I wouldn’t be the second time. Also had H1N1 before, no problem. For people who don’t deal with these things well, I understand the extra precautions
🤣 dude it says absolutely nothing , that you have done well .. catching a virus is more like Russian roulette .. I know multiple people that for example where fine with delta , and bad with Omnikron . Can happen with any virus .

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
double vaxxed, want to get a booster in the next few days. never had covid.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
That doesn’t change what I said. If I’m fine the first time, no reason why I wouldn’t be the second time.
A virus mutates into dozens of subvariants. With Covid, the vast majority of them peter out and only certain blocks form a new dominant variant.

When you get COVID or a vaccine, your body learns a blueprint of a Covid cell. A model, sort to say.

But not all models are created equal. Some models will see improvements and support new features.

Think of Covid as the base Nvidia Jetson device, which is Tegra K1 based. Delta was Tegra X1, Omicron is Tegra X2.

The base is the same but the variants change.

🤣 dude it says absolutely nothing , that you have done well .. catching a virus is more like Russian roulette .. I know multiple people that for example where fine with delta , and bad with Omnikron . Can happen with any virus .
Basically. People think that if they have had Variant X, they are also off the hook for Variants Y and Z.

That isn't the case.

However, the chances of you contracting Variants Y and Z are significantly reduced because you had Variant X. The body has learned how COVID looks like, so it is more effective against sub-variants.

Top Bottom