• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I keep dreaming of a realy good Warhammer 40k game that's not a strategy

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't care what it is. A shooter, an RPG, just give me fucking anything that's not yet another turn based strategy or an RTS. It's such a fascinating world with an insanely rich lore. It's ripe with potential for some truly amazing video games. And what do we have in terms of good W40k action games?

i-warhammer-40-000-space-marine-anniversary-edition-digital.jpg

That's it.

Seriously, I'm so thirsty for a good action game set in this universe that I felt rather positive about stuff like Deathwing, Battle Sister, Fire Warrior, Inquisitor Martyr or Necromunda Hired Gun. These are all very mediocre games but since this is the only thing we have it just makes me appreciate them more.

I had really high hopes for Darktide too, and while the core gameplay of that game is incredibly good, everything else about it is utter shit and it makes you wonder what the hell were they smoking while making it. I can't believe it's the same developer that made Vermintide II.

Anyway, that's just my rant. Can't wait for Space Marine II.

If you know about any other action titles in the 40k universe that I didn't mention already, then please do post a recommendation. I need it. Badly.

A.Romero

I don't care what it is. A shooter, an RPG, just give me fucking anything that's not yet another turn based strategy or an RTS. It's such a fascinating world with an insanely rich lore. It's ripe with potential for some truly amazing video games. And what do we have in terms of good W40k action games?

i-warhammer-40-000-space-marine-anniversary-edition-digital.jpg

That's it.

Seriously, I'm so thirsty for a good action game set in this universe that I felt rather positive about stuff like Deathwing, Battle Sister, Fire Warrior, Inquisitor Martyr or Necromunda Hired Gun. These are all very mediocre games but since this is the only thing we have it just makes me appreciate them more.

I had really high hopes for Darktide too, and while the core gameplay of that game is incredibly good, everything else about it is utter shit and it makes you wonder what the hell were they smoking while making it. I can't believe it's the same developer that made Vermintide II.

Anyway, that's just my rant. Can't wait for Space Marine II.

If you know about any other action titles in the 40k universe that I didn't mention already, then please do post a recommendation. I need it. Badly.

Darktide is a pretty good game and it just released. Vermintide had many improvements over the years so probably the same will happen with Darktide.

Space Marine 2 is coming soon, we are still waiting on Darktide to update and realize it's potential. Further with the announcement of Amazon and Henry Cavill working on an original show, you'd hope this will bring more attention and interest into the franchise. I suspect you'll get what you want sooner or later.

But I agree overall, would love to see some good usage of the IP. The lore is detailed and rich, would be a lot of fun to see more

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Darktide is a pretty good game and it just released. Vermintide had many improvements over the years so probably the same will happen with Darktide.
True, but usually I have no desire to play 1-2 matches at a time due to how much they messed up the progression and even other basic stuff like level select. Not to mention the non-existent story after the prologue.

Fingers crossed that they're gonna whip into into shape like you say. But if they're just gonna abandon it in its current state then W40k video games are officially cursed.

Bragr

Banned
I dream of a really good Spawn game.
I can't believe how they fucked that franchise up. Blade and Spawn are begging for video game adaptations. Instead, we get Suicide Squad, Spider-Man, and The Avengers.

Maybe some of the bloodlust from the upcoming Wolverine game will make people more interested in more mature comic book heroes.

Holammer

Said this before, but imagine a 40k game made by one of Activision's COD studios. Where you get to play as different soldiers across the campaign, maybe even an Arbites early on investigating the plot thingamajig that kicks off the plot. Then the PDF as shit hits the fan.

Have a crowning moment of awesome when you get to see an Astartes for just a few seconds and frame the scene in such a way that the player understands this isn't some mere cavalry or special forces, it's an actual descent of Angels for Imperial citizens (show, don't tell).
Towards the end have the returning character that presented as the protagonist get executed MW2's 'Ghost and Roach' style by the inquisition after surviving unimaginable odds. Then explain to the player how this was a necessary act due to the taint of chaos and ending with the countless dead hailed as an heroes of the Imperium.

Make the game a crash course for all the crazy shit in the setting.

And I dream of a Warhammer game that is a REAL RTS ...

Most Warhammer "rts" games are just slow and clunky probably made for boomers that can't properly handle a mouse + keybindings.

I dream of a 40k game with speed, freedom, fluidity and Micro/Macro gameplay of Start Craft:BW/WarCraft:3.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Said this before, but imagine a 40k game made by one of Activision's COD studios. Where you get to play as different soldiers across the campaign, maybe even an Arbites early on investigating the plot thingamajig that kicks off the plot. Then the PDF as shit hits the fan.

Have a crowning moment of awesome when you get to see an Astartes for just a few seconds and frame the scene in such a way that the player understands this isn't some mere cavalry or special forces, it's an actual descent of Angels for Imperial citizens (show, don't tell).
Towards the end have the returning character that presented as the protagonist get executed MW2's 'Ghost and Roach' style by the inquisition after surviving unimaginable odds. Then explain to the player how this was a necessary act due to the taint of chaos and ending with the countless dead hailed as an heroes of the Imperium.

Didn't know I wanted this until you described it. Hopefully someone will do it some day but I don't think it would be commercially viable with AAA budget...

And I dram of a Warhammer game that is a REAL RTS ...

Most Warhammer "rts" games are just slow and clunky probably made for boomers that can't properly handle a mouse + keybindings.

I dream of a 40k game with speed, freedom, fluidity and Micro/Macro gameplay of Start Craft:BW/WarCraft:3.

Personally I think Star Craft gameplay is somewhat obsolete (it's ironic what you said given that boomers favor older gameplay styles). Also Star Craft borrows so much from 40K that a mod would probably be enough.

I liked Relic approach best but Warhammer III sucked.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And I dram of a Warhammer game that is a REAL RTS ...

Did you play the original Dawn of War (especially the Dark Crusade add on)? It was far superior to StarCraft in every way possible. Probably the greatest RTS ever made.

Also, you say modern RTS games are made for "boomers" and you wish for them to be like StarCraft (Brood War) and Warcraft 3, but both of those games are from the 90s and early 00s. They're both boomer RTS games!

Good choices BTW. Both games were released in a golden age of RTS games. I'd also throw Total Annihilation into the mix of that golden generation.

Did you play the original Dawn of War (especially the Dark Crusade add on)? It was far superior to StarCraft in every way possible. Probably the greatest RTS ever made.

Also, you say modern RTS games are made for "boomers" and you wish for them to be like StarCraft (Brood War) and Warcraft 3, but both of those games are from the 90s and early 00s. They're both boomer RTS games!

Good choices BTW. Both games were released in a golden age of RTS games. I'd also throw Total Annihilation into the mix of that golden generation.
I know that the internet deconstructed the concept of some words but I expect GAF users to be a little bit more knowledgeable.

Boomers are people born after the WW2... Or people that no longer have the reflexes or even the energy to even play videogames ..
Older games like WC3 and SC2 are recent enough....

The post above yours said that that kidn of gameplay is obsolete... I don't even know how to respond to that... Those games are the epitome of skill games dude just go back to your mobile shit/brs and stay out of real competitive games conversation.

I love fast skill based games but Warhammer game are slow as fuck and clunky for the most part.

simpatico

I liked the Space Hulk FPS. It's not one you play for 5 hour sessions, but for quick little hits it's pretty good.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Good news mate - rogue trader.
Given how poor the writing and characters were for Wrath of the Righteous, I have little hope for Rogue Trader

As for OP - I suggest you look at:
Inquisitor Martyr
Shootas Blood and Teef
Necromunda Hired Gun
And finally: Darktide.

All are good and fun games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Inquisitor Martyr has had a TON of changes since launch, so if you haven't played it since then definitely give it another spin.

I agree that the 40k universe is wasted on strategy games, but I can also see why it lends itself to that genre so well. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the output is okay at best, with Battlesector being the legit best strategy option.

Chaos Gate also has a lot of potential for its X-Com style gameplay, but the bright cartoonish visuals and atmosphere are clashing with the grimdark tone of the 40k universe and doing the game a HUGE disservice. It is insufferable in that regard even though the game itself is pretty good.

All eyes on Space Marine 2 for now.

Drizzlehell

Banned

I'm getting a boner just thinking about it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I know that the internet deconstructed the concept of some words but I expect GAF users to be a little bit more knowledgeable.

Boomers are people born after the WW2... Or people that no longer have the reflexes or even the energy to even play videogames ..
Older games like WC3 and SC2 are recent enough....

The post above yours said that that kidn of gameplay is obsolete... I don't even know how to respond to that... Those games are the epitome of skill games dude just go back to your mobile shit/brs and stay out of real competitive games conversation.

I love fast skill based games but Warhammer game are slow as fuck and clunky for the most part.
If Starcraft 2 is your only mark of what makes an RTS game great then you need to play more RTS games. Just because DoW wasn't designed with Korean e-sports in mind doesn't mean it's bad or clunky or whatever.

Someone needs to make a third person survival horror 40k game, set in a Hive city, or a space hulk.
I guess Deathwing is kinda like that, although it's a rather janky game. Also, it has great graphics and the developer absolutely nailed the aesthetic and sense of scale of 40k, but the audio is just awful and it really drags down the entire experience.

The two Diablo clones are decent.

While Rogue Trader is turn-based, it's a full scale rpg.
It's kind of a running theme that Warhammer fantasy games tend to have a much better track record. Chaosbane is a really solid Diablo clone but Inquisitor Martyr was disappointing. Although...

Inquisitor Martyr has had a TON of changes since launch, so if you haven't played it since then definitely give it another spin.
I haven't considered that to be honest. I still have it so I'd have to go back and try playing it again.

Shootas Blood and Teef
That's the only one that I wasn't familiar with. I'll take it, lol.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I guess Deathwing is kinda like that, although it's a rather janky game. Also, it has great graphics and the developer absolutely nailed the aesthetic and sense of scale of 40k, but the audio is just awful and it really drags down the entire experience.

That's still an all out space marine shooter, though. I'm talking about a full blown horror experience, where you play as either an ordinary human being, or as an Inquisitor from one of the Ordos. Just not a space marine. Any time a game features one of them as the main protag, it's kinda stuck in one (very loud and one note) genre.

There's so much more to the 40k universe than space marines. You could easily create an extremely compelling third person horror game, based around the forces of chaos, and the corruption they spread.

Personally, I'd probably make a new game starring Eisenhorn, that could be part of the main canon. Have him tackle a chaos cult in the depths of a hive city. It'd be a Dead Space / Resident Evil / Bioshock kind of experience. Lots of mileage story-wise in his descent from puritan into radical.

If Starcraft 2 is your only mark of what makes an RTS game great then you need to play more RTS games. Just because DoW wasn't designed with Korean e-sports in mind doesn't mean it's bad or clunky or whatever.
I never said the games were bad... Total War and the Down of War series are good games... But they are very slow paced designed to be played the same way a old lady/dude plays solitaire... Only with mouse...

Dude total war even had auto battle... In competitive terms those games are a joke, but on a simplistic casual level they are good.

A fast paced skill driven Warhammer 40k(I'm tired of age of sigmar) would be a dream!!!!

Crayon

They ho this license out every which way and most of the games are not that good. It's frustrating.

The tabletop game doesn't look that good, either...

Drizzlehell

Banned
That's still an all out space marine shooter, though. I'm talking about a full blown horror experience, where you play as either an ordinary human being, or as an Inquisitor from one of the Ordos. Just not a space marine. Any time a game features one of them as the main protag, it's kinda stuck in one (very loud and one note) genre.

There's so much more to the 40k universe than space marines. You could easily create an extremely compelling third person horror game, based around the forces of chaos, and the corruption they spread.

Personally, I'd probably make a new game starring Eisenhorn, that could be part of the main canon. Have him tackle a chaos cult in the depths of a hive city. It'd be a Dead Space / Resident Evil / Bioshock kind of experience. Lots of mileage story-wise in his descent from puritan into radical.
I'm guessing it's mostly because people who pick up the license to make those games wanna make sure that there will be some return on the investment.

That's why most 40k games recycle the same factions and ideas - it's always about some Orc invasion that's secretly instigated by Chaos or Eldar because of <insert random plot macguffin here>, and there's always a psyker or an inquisitor who inevitably gets tainted by chaos and betrays the Space Marines who drop in to to save the day. That's just the shit that most people are familiar with and what they expect, even though the lore of 40k is so much more diverse than that.

amigastar

I can't believe how they fucked that franchise up. Blade and Spawn are begging for video game adaptations. Instead, we get Suicide Squad, Spider-Man, and The Avengers.

Maybe some of the bloodlust from the upcoming Wolverine game will make people more interested in more mature comic book heroes.
Marvels Midnight Suns has Blade in it. But yeah no Blade game came out so far.

Last edited:

hlm666

You can get Deathwing cheap, it had a pretty big update that fixed alot of things. Your in terminator armor though so just remember they don't move fast like space marines.

Ideas...

Battlefield 40K, no other words needed.

Wing Commander / Tie Fighter style space combat sim, it exists in the lore even if starfighters are rarely mentioned.

Mass Effect clone with the Inquisition. Puritan / Renegade being the choice between Evil, and, "Holy shit dude, that was a child!"

Top Bottom