• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know it's wrong, but I love slowdown

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Within reason, of course. I was playing Diablo 3 on the Switch the other day (and on handheld mode, gasp!) and I noticed that if the map is open enough and has enough enemies on it, I can make the game chug a bit due to all the action on screen. In Diablo 3's case, the slowdown doesn't provide an advantage nor does it end up killing me, but I still find this really satisfying.

Another obvious example would be slowdown in shmups. Often, the slowdown can be used to the player's advantage if it consistently appears in the same part of the stage.

This phenomenon has become rarer in modern videogames. As long as the slowdown doesn't cause me to die, I feel as though I am pushing the game hardware / engine to its absolute limits. I'm not saying slowdown is a good thing from a technical perspective. Perhaps I only like it because it reminds me of older videogames where the issue was more prevalent and obvious.

Skyr

Street fighter 2 slowdowns are the only that come to mind that were kinda cool and almost seemed intentional.
But for anything modern? Nah dude.

Last edited:

Shifty

Sounds like you're experiencing the slowdown-heavy shmup version of the Tetris Effect, Dun :messenger_winking:

I can dig it, but only if the cause of the slowdown is having too much stuff onscreen, and only if the game logic in question is tied to the framerate. Having everything literally slow down is a lot less jarring than everything getting all choppy and 'orrible (and probably getting you killed) like it would in a game driven by delta time calculations.

Street fighter 2 slowdowns are the only that come to mind that made were kinda cool and almost seemed intentional.
But for anything modern? Nah dude.
Tekken 7's final blow slowmo is basically the modern, mechanically codified version of that.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Slowdown on SNES Gradius III and Super R-Type tho?
Definitely undesirable.

I think the sweet spot is when the slowdown is both predictable and the game smoothly transitions into/out of the slowdown. The slowdown in the games you mentioned is unbearable because it is so swingy and unpredictable, not because of the % of speed reduction.

Try dragon dogma on ps3 if you wanna see some sweet slowdown...
See above. I held off until the re-release on PS4 because it was so bad. :messenger_fearful:

Sounds like you're experiencing the slowdown-heavy shmup version of the Tetris Effect, Dun :messenger_winking:

I can dig it, but only if the cause of the slowdown is having too much stuff onscreen, and only if the game in question is tied to the framerate. Having everything literally slow down is a lot less jarring than everything getting all choppy and 'orrible like it would in a game driven by delta time calculations.
Yeah if the slowdown is choppy it ruins the experience. I think it's strange how just the right amount of slowdown feels more badass (like bullet time?) as long as it hits that sweet spot. Of course, maybe I'm just brain damaged and no one else appreciates a bit of slowdown here or there in their games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think the sweet spot is when the slowdown is both predictable and the game smoothly transitions into/out of the slowdown. The slowdown in the games you mentioned is unbearable because it is so swingy and unpredictable, not because of the % of speed reduction.
Sounds like you'd love Dragon Quest II, III, and IV on the NES then.

Shifty

This is good slowdown:

Predictable because it's tied directly to the gameplay, has a smooth transition (out, at least) because it's based on the amount of stuff onscreen at once, and is oh so satisfying because the last-second counter mechanic spawns stupid amounts of missiles.

Any excuse to talk about Bangai-O

Saruhashi

Banned
Within reason, of course. I was playing Diablo 3 on the Switch the other day (and on handheld mode, gasp!) and I noticed that if the map is open enough and has enough enemies on it, I can make the game chug a bit due to all the action on screen. In Diablo 3's case, the slowdown doesn't provide an advantage nor does it end up killing me, but I still find this really satisfying.

Another obvious example would be slowdown in shmups. Often, the slowdown can be used to the player's advantage if it consistently appears in the same part of the stage.

This phenomenon has become rarer in modern videogames. As long as the slowdown doesn't cause me to die, I feel as though I am pushing the game hardware / engine to its absolute limits. I'm not saying slowdown is a good thing from a technical perspective. Perhaps I only like it because it reminds me of older videogames where the issue was more prevalent and obvious.

Agreed. It's that feeling that you are pushing the console to full capacity.

The thrills of retro gaming!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is good slowdown:

Predictable because it's tied directly to the gameplay, has a smooth transition (out, at least) because it's based on the amount of stuff onscreen at once, and is oh so satisfying because the last-second counter mechanic spawns stupid amounts of missiles.

Any excuse to talk about Bangai-O

Superb example.

Anime missle frenzy slowdown omae wa mou shindeiru mecha warfare: The Game.

Agreed. It's that feeling that you are pushing the console to full capacity.

The thrills of retro gaming!
Yes, that's exactly it. Feels like the hardware is struggling to keep up, and in a sense you are pushing beyond what the developers designed their game to handle.

Ivan

I loved it back in the 90s for the same reasons, well put.

When 3D acceleration and voodoo cards came after early PS1 period, that aspect was strange and "boring" to me in some strangest way :D. No slowdown...

I remember PS1 struggling with Red Alert, you didn't have to do a lot to see it :D.

As I kid I felt that hardware was working at it's full power to serve the game for me. It was part of the experience and I really didn't see it as something bad.

I can understand feeling the same today in console games if you feel they've squeezed absolutely everything they could (in some really nice games), but on pc it feels different, like something's wrong and I should react.

Interesting psychological subject for sure.

Last edited:

DonF

yeah, I love it in games where slowdown is a rare thing, like smash bros.

Getting tons of items and pokemon, slowdown meant that shit was going down!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yes, that's exactly it. Feels like the hardware is struggling to keep up, and in a sense you are pushing beyond what the developers designed their game to handle.
I really want to know if the developers of Super Mario World knew the goal/stage ending animation was going to be slowed down on actual hardware. It's so weird to find out years later that the slowness and delay of that animation was being caused by the limitation of the system.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm fine with it even in stuff like Metal Slug 2 (though that kinda pushes the limit.) I don't like frame rate drops, but actual slowdown makes it feel like shit is getting real.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really want to know if the developers of Super Mario World knew the goal/stage ending animation was going to be slowed down on actual hardware. It's so weird to find out years later that the slowness and delay of that animation was being caused by the limitation of the system.
if they were developing on SNES hardware then they would be aware of slowdown. it isn't like they made it on faster hardware and were shocked to see the end result. they designed the games with it in mind.

it was either strip down the graphics or go with it and they had to make a choice. "it's not a bug it's a feature" is a legit excuse sometimes since slowdown often happened when there were a million sprites on screen to dodge. modern games drop frames, devs always have to deal with some kind of limitations. back then they didn't have the predictive graphics tech we do now.

love me some og slodown tho. I had Gradius III for SNES and loved it cos the slowdown made the craziest parts actually do-able. also feel like it almost makes things more dramatic and impressive and weighty. suddenly the screen is filled with stuff and it goes into almost bullet time.

i wonder if that's where bullet time comes from tbh.

Last edited:
Only the #1 MVP GAF member can make such a controversial thread and say such a controversial opinion
tZP7z2O.png

Last edited:

Shifty

i wonder if that's where bullet time comes from tbh.
I think bullet time came about as a result of switching to time-driven game simulations instead of frame-driven ones. It's a very intuitive concept from a programming standpoint- one number that you can tweak to control the entire game's speed instead of being shackled to products of its refresh rate.

I doubt Max Payne was the first game to use the technique, though obviously it was the first to game-ify it.
It'd be interesting to research around and find out which games were the first to ever use time-based simulation.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Now that I think of it some of the slowdown during Mega Man X on the super nintendo made it feel epic (during Launch Octopus' level especially)

intbal

If someone is struggling with Jet Set Radio Future, playing the game through backwards compatibility on Xbox 360 can slow the game down just enough to make some of the races easier.

Top Bottom