• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like the less appreciated Zelda games

I think Skyward sword, with the memorable and unique characters ( especially Ghirahim, and Groose), Spirit tracks with his original gameplay, Wind Waker for his Heart....All fantastic games, but often forgotten.
Of course i love the last effort TOTK, probably one of the best game ever made.
But that chapters stay with me.

Good For You Thumbs Up GIF by StickerGiant

ZoolNL

I hated Skyward Swords. Tried the game again on Switch and it’s even worse than I remembered. The controls are terrible haha. Windwaker and ST were an absolute blast to play.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It also has a great gameplay, motion plus worked perfectly fine.
Sorry to be downer on your thread, I absolutely hated the controls. I bought the golden controller version, super excited about it. It seems crazy to say it about a Zelda game, but I dropped it after a few hours.

Fredrik

Zelda 2 is awesome. I think Miyazaki once said it was one of the inspirations for the souls genre. Open map, go wherever you want, tight combat mechanics, learn the attack patterns or die, earn xp through combat, lose the xp at death (can’t go back to require the lost xp though, maybe that comes from Diablo and the lost gear), spawn back at a hub (castle).

Last edited:

SCB3

There are no bad Zelda games, even the Warrior ones have some value

The CD-i ones don't really count

Drell

Since we are in this kind of "controversial opinion thread" I'd like to say that I loved the triforce quest in WW back then when the game released and I was like 13 or 14. Filling the map with the fishes and wandering through this (or what seemed to be) open world was something exciting when it wasn't the norm back then.

I'm not sure I'd still love this now though.

kunonabi

My Zelda tastes run pretty counter to most. ALttP, and TP are in my top 5 but the rest of the top 5 includes SS, ST, and 4 Swords Adventures. My bottom 5 has Link's Awakening, OoT, WW, BotW/TotK, and the Oracles games.

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoy all the Zelda games, the dungeons in Skyward Sword were fantastic. Great game, despite being one of my least favorite in the entire franchise. Repeat bosses, poor pacing, handholding to the extreme etc. really drags it down.

Spirit Tracks was great, one of my favourites. It's everything Phantom Hourglass wanted to be.

A great soundtrack.
Memorable characters.
Good exploration (although the open world is literally on rails, there's hidden stuff to find everywhere).
No fucking Temple of the Ocean King.
An epic final boss.

Yeah, actually, PH is the only Zelda game I didn't like, all the others are S-tier. Fuck PH.

StueyDuck

I think Skyward sword, with the memorable and unique characters ( especially Ghirahim, and Groose), Spirit tracks with his original gameplay, Wind Waker for his Heart....All fantastic games, but often forgotten.
The kids do like their minecraft/fortnite Zelda but proper Zelda will always remain absolute perfect experiences.

Alttp -> skyward sword with everything in between is just thee best gaming experiences you'll ever have.

Majoras mask gets the nod for being the most memorable although probably not the best. OoT is still literal video game perfection and Windwaker is still unique in gaming.

Tp and ss while nothing special have their own pros like the best dungeons and the best combat etc

Last edited:
Thought this would be about cool shit like Zelda 2 or Minish Cap, not some unfocused gimmick game with backwards world building and a weirdly bad highschool plot.

Last edited:
Outside of art style, Wind Waker has always been overrated.
The big irony is that graphics turned out to be only great thing about Wind Waker, after that was the only concern and big drama before release lol.

I guess on a metalevel it's also nice that it exposes all the Nintendies who keep screaming that graphics could never matter, yet they hyped this into being a classic despite having no good dungeons, a painfully boring overworld and generally little going for it outside of graphics.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Windwaker is not underappreciated. It's considered to be one of the top tier Zeldas, if not the greatest (by many), as far as a traditional 3D zelda goes.

Mr Hyde

I think Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link is the best Zelda out of the old school ones. It has great dungeons, memorable bosses, fun gameplay, XP leveling and magic and tough enemy encounters. Since it was the only one done with a 2D-style it has this odd vibe too it, it's very charming yet kinda off putting, but I really like it. It almost feels like a dream, because when you finish it you go back to the regular Zelda's, your Ocarina of Time, your A Link to the Past, your Breath of the Wild, and Zelda 2 just feels like a distant memory, something that might or might not have happened. It's a weird feeling. I hope Nintendo one day remakes it and put it in the spotlight where it belongs.

Spirit Tracks was great, one of my favourites. It's everything Phantom Hourglass wanted to be.

A great soundtrack.
Memorable characters.
Good exploration (although the open world is literally on rails, there's hidden stuff to find everywhere).
An epic final boss.

Yeah, actually, PH is the only Zelda game I didn't like, all the others are S-tier. Fuck PH.
Me too. I was very hyped, the sequel of Wind Waker....but It was a soso game.
On the other hand, Spirit tracks was magic. I was a child again.

Naked Lunch

Zelda 2 was so strange and different when it released - most people weren't ready for it - and still aren't to this day.
I love how abstract and original it is - Nintendo/Miyamoto really took a chance outside of the norm.

The series fell back into its mold ever since - still great games - but nothing like Zelda 2.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Wind weaker is an amazing game and I don’t think people forget it. They just wish it had more.

Skyward sword is not good.

kiphalfton

A great soundtrack.
Memorable characters.
An epic final boss.

I forget that Spirit Tacks and Phantom Hourglass exist.

I want to rebuy some of these older games, but dammit there are so many fakes out there.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I remember really liking Skyward Sword when it came out, but I also don’t mind waggling. But there’s also probably a reason why I haven’t played it since it came out, so there’s that.

I don’t actually remember much of the game aside from the beginning and the end, but I remember thinking the final fight was really fun. Maybe it’s worth a replay. Might hook up the Wii to my CRT and try it like that.

Zannegan

I liked a LOT about Skyward Sword (its main theme is still one of my favorite songs in the series), but the handholding was way over the top. I wanted to chuck the Wii out the window when Fi paused the game for the thousandth time to explain what those yellow bugs were. The story being extremely linear and directed didn't help.

So, all in all, not my favorite entry. I'll play the Skyward Sword VR remake one day though.

I would like to see some elements of classic Zelda make a comeback in the new formula, but I'm so glad BotW made the course correction it did. Handholding is the worst.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I still believe skyward sword was the pinnacle of the franchise, every dungeon was amazing and so were the controls

fart town usa

Gold Member
The big irony is that graphics turned out to be only great thing about Wind Waker, after that was the only concern and big drama before release lol.

I guess on a metalevel it's also nice that it exposes all the Nintendies who keep screaming that graphics could never matter, yet they hyped this into being a classic despite having no good dungeons, a painfully boring overworld and generally little going for it outside of graphics.
Masterful post.

I've said the same thing in various threads but you summed it up infinitely better than I ever have.

Top Bottom