• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like the less appreciated Zelda games

AngelMuffin

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think the DS games are great. Like when I see PH near the bottom of every list it makes me sad. I actually also really like the control scheme. This might be one of my more contrarian takes but I love them and wish they made a 3rd on 3DS (ALBW is good though).

I think Skyward sword, with the memorable and unique characters ( especially Ghirahim, and Groose), Spirit tracks with his original gameplay, Wind Waker for his Heart....All fantastic games, but often forgotten.
Of course i love the last effort TOTK, probably one of the best game ever made.
But that chapters stay with me.
40edd02d-5059-4e7b-8dbe-994d32efac79_text.gif

You are starting to remind me of a line from a song by Radiohead.

Last edited:

Codes 208

A "mid" Zelda game is still way above 90% of the industry.
Yup I definitely cant argue that part.

Like if i were to say its the worst of modern zelda, i would still HAPPILY take that over the worst entries of my other favorite franchises like dark souls 2, halo 5, gears judgement, sonic 06, etc.

Astral Dog

The Nintendo-made Zelda games are all good.

The only exception is Spirit Tracks. It's really a badly thought-out and badly designed game, and it's really boring.
I thought Spirit Tracks was overall underrated, the music,main dungeon ,story,characters were all improved from Phantom Hourglass(wich imo its one of the worst Zelda games)

Yep the flute and train were awful, but it still had more quality than flaws, very ambitious for a DS game. Also the ending is just awesome

kunonabi

I think the DS games are great. Like when I see PH near the bottom of every list it makes me sad. I actually also really like the control scheme. This might be one of my more contrarian takes but I love them and wish they made a 3rd on 3DS (ALBW is good though).
Yeah, I kept hearing how awful PH was but I loved it when I finally got around to playing it. It was miles better than WW as far as I'm concerned.

Astral Dog

I still believe skyward sword was the pinnacle of the franchise, every dungeon was amazing and so were the controls
Not sure if i would call it the "pinnacle" but it was a good sendoff for the old Zelda formula, Skyward Sword tried new things that make it stand out among the other games

the artsyle for example, rather than continuing the detailed but dull 'realistic' Twilight princess direction, Nintendo overhauled the visuals to look like a painting, the character models don't stand out much but the backdrops are simply gorgeous,it looks great even compared to Breath of the Wild

The setting is unique, at least part of the sky islands, the bazaar for example, the sidequests, the music its very charming.

The level design is linear and is considered a weakness, but Skyward Sword is unique in how they made the overworld a big puzzle,there are great ideas like the time stones, all the stuff to do in 'Death Mountain'

The plot is, tbh its a little underdeveloped , but rather than fighting Ganon again you learn the very source of the Legends , and it even works as a standalone story,Link and Zelda relationship is the main focus here,we see their peaceful lives shattered with their battle against the Demon king doomed to be repeated again and again, and again and again and again and again until they die

But the controls will always be divisive, and i don't think they always work well ,sadly thats what most people will remember

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The Skyward Sword controls are the definition of a gimmick to me. They werent bad, they werent great. They were fun for like the first 25% of the game. Then they got off track you constantly had to reset them and fight those annoying enemies slashing certain directions etc.

Again they were not "bad" at all, but I just found myself wanting to press a button or a button combo to swing the sword in various directions.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I thought Spirit Tracks was overall underrated, the music,main dungeon ,story,characters were all improved from Phantom Hourglass(wich imo its one of the worst Zelda games)

Yep the flute and train were awful, but it still had more quality than flaws, very ambitious for a DS game. Also the ending is just awesome
I don’t know. It’s the only Zelda I dropped before the end. That final (?) tower got really too annoying and repetitive for me at one point. I never looked back.

Sure, there were a couple of interesting bosses, but got the impression that the main intention behind the game was to bring the use of all the DS’s feature up to 11. The flute is simply terrible, even worse than the harp in SS. The train can be interesting at first, but vastly outstays its welcome. And that’s such a big part of the game, it getting more annoying than fun after a short while is a big problem.

In contrast, I never understood the problem with the Ocean King’s Palace in PH.
It was interesting to find all the shortcuts every time I got a new item, and while it wasn’t necessarily fun, I never found it to be the great annoyance so many people say it is. Sailing was also much, much better than the train, and it was what sailing in WW should have been to keep things interesting.

Seriously, after reading all the hoopla about ST, I bought it and was horribly disappointed. Maybe I’ll give it another go sometime.

Astral Dog

I don’t know. It’s the only Zelda I dropped before the end. That final (?) tower got really too annoying and repetitive for me at one point. I never looked back.

Sure, there were a couple of interesting bosses, but got the impression that the main intention behind the game was to bring the use of all the DS’s feature up to 11. The flute is simply terrible, even worse than the harp in SS. The train can be interesting at first, but vastly outstays its welcome. And that’s such a big part of the game, it getting more annoying than fun after a short while is a big problem.

In contrast, I never understood the problem with the Ocean King’s Palace in PH.
It was interesting to find all the shortcuts every time I got a new item, and while it wasn’t necessarily fun, I never found it to be the great annoyance so many people say it is. Sailing was also much, much better than the train, and it was what sailing in WW should have been to keep things interesting.

Seriously, after reading all the hoopla about ST, I bought it and was horribly disappointed. Maybe I’ll give it another go sometime.
I suppose it depends on how much you can tolerate the controls,for me it improved most of the areas i found lacking in PH,including dungeons and bosses,music,characters,etc.like with Skyward Sword it was Nintendo's era were they obsessed over using every gimmick on the system

If it weren't for that flute😤 reaching the ending was worth it though its rad

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Oracle games and Minish Cap were my favorite underrated Zeldas.

Top Bottom