• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like the Whopper **** the Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.nydailynews.com/03-28-2005/news/story/294096p-251806c.html

McHip-hop name-drop

Chain wants rappers to mention Big Mac

BY OREN YANIV and LAURA WILLIAMS
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

With names like Big Pooh, Big Daddy Kane, Big Rich Tha Don and Notorious B.I.G., "big" is already huge for rappers.

Now, McDonald's reportedly hopes to lure hip-hop artists to drop references to Big Macs into their rhymes.

Though it's not offering money upfront, the fast-food giant is willing to pay rappers $1 to $5 each time songs with the plug hit the radio, according to today's Advertising Age. McDonald's hopes to have its signature sandwich in several songs by summer, the mag says.

And it looks like the plan just might boost sales, some McDonald's customers said yesterday.

"If 50 Cent says so, they're gonna buy so many Big Macs," predicted Kai Davis, 27, a customer service rep and Jay-Z fan from the Bronx. "[Rappers] have a big influence."

"Anything they say, people are going to do," added 16-year-old Benji Lusena of Harlem.

But others said they weren't so easily led. "I usually don't use stuff just because somebody else uses it," said Pedro Rojas, 20, of Jersey City. "If you like the food, then that's about it."

Rappers have been pushing products gratis since Run DMC revived a flagging sneaker brand with its 1986 smash "My Adidas." Hip-hop artists have famously rapped about high-end brands like Cartier, Versace and Dom Perignon.

Sales of one French cognac went through the roof thanks to Busta Rhymes' "Pass the Courvoisier."

McDonald's isn't the only company now paying to break through to the hard-to-reach youth market. The marketing firm Maven Strategies, which McDonald's hired for the Big Mac project, got Seagram's gin mentioned - for a fee - in five raps last year, Ad Age says.

McDonald's has final approval over the Big Mac mentions, so perhaps the company won't want oversized pitchmen like Fat Joe. Decades ago, McDonald's dumped chubby Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald in favor of a leaner clown. Dem Franchise Boyz, on the other hand, might be the perfect spokesgroup for the 30,000-outlet chain.

Originally published on March 28, 2005

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
All McDonald's Hamburgers taste like crap, especially the Big Mac.
The Whooper is quite tasty, especially the Western one.

Oddly, McDonald's non-hamburger foods are pretty good (fish filet, chicken nuggets, fries, ice cream, breakfast sandwiches, mc flurries, apple pies, etc.). Of course, not good enough for me to eat there more than once every few months.

Beezy

VPhys said:
Mc Donalds fries > BK fries

Hell no. Only reason to go to Mcdonalds is for their McNuggets and apple pies. Their fries are too damn soft.

Oh yeah. Their breakfast stuff are good too.

When Uncle Tony comes into town, we all go to the Olive Garden :D

Tammy loves the neverending pasta dish!

As for me, just a bit of oregano and voila! BELLISSIMO!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Though it's not offering money upfront, the fast-food giant is willing to pay rappers $1 to $5 each time songs with the plug hit the radio

That's actually a lot of money if they count every radio station in every city across the country. Insane.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Agent Icebeezy said:
"If 50 Cent says so, they're gonna buy so many Big Macs," predicted Kai Davis, 27, a customer service rep and Jay-Z fan from the Bronx. "[Rappers] have a big influence."

"Anything they say, people are going to do," added 16-year-old Benji Lusena of Harlem.

Just another reason I don't listen to music. It makes people robots.

Whopper > Big Mac

But Whoppers are to big for me. Strangely though I can handle eating 2 Whopper Jr's o.o;

Dilbert

chef alfredo said:
When Uncle Tony comes into town, we all go to the Olive Garden :D

Tammy loves the neverending pasta dish!

As for me, just a bit of oregano and voila! BELLISSIMO!
Hey, Gumby -- or Bruce Vilanch, or Pencil Boy, or chef alfredo, or whoever the fuck you are this week. Don't come back.

FnordChan

runback.jpg

One day when I was chillin' in Kentucky Fried Chicken
Just mindin' my business, eatin' food and finger lickin'
This dude walked in lookin' strange and kind of funny
Went up to the front with a menu and his money
He didn't walk straight, kind of side to side
He asked this old lady, "Yo, yo, um...is this Kentucky Fried?"
The lady said "Yeah", smiled and he smiled back
He gave a quarter and his order: small fries, Big Mac!
You be illin'!

FnordChan

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Surprised by something like this? Don't be.

Petey Pablo
Freak A Leek Lyrics

Last part of song:

[Petey Pablo:]
Not a problem. You know I do it because I love you.
Now I got to give a shoutout to Seagrams Gin cuz I drink it, and they payin' me fo it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lindsay said:
Just another reason I don't listen to music. It makes people robots.

Whopper > Big Mac

But Whoppers are to big for me. Strangely though I can handle eating 2 Whopper Jr's o.o;

How could anybody not listen to music??

MIMIC

Banned
DarienA said:
Surprised by something like this? Don't be.

Petey Pablo
Freak A Leek Lyrics

Last part of song:

[Petey Pablo:]
Not a problem. You know I do it because I love you.
Now I got to give a shoutout to Seagrams Gin cuz I drink it, and they payin' me fo it.

:lol I would always hear it but I never really paid it any attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom