• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost a job on a thank you note

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I did really well during the interview. I felt everything would have worked out but I rushed the thank you note. When I did not get the job, I asked my interviewer for feedback and she gave me the thank you note. I embarrassed myself. Now I'm considering that I will no longer try to become an attorney.

I realize that I went through law school because I feared what others might think. I'm smart but my anxiety over the job search led me to irrational behavior. It's strange but the thank you note might be the biggest turning point in my life.

Izick

All of the business/law professors tell you that people will criticize you for every little thing you do. It kind of makes you wonder if you want to be in a line of work where that kind of petty stuff matters, right?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I did really well during the interview. I felt everything would have worked out but I rushed the thank you note. When I did not get the job, I asked my interviewer for feedback and she gave me the thank you note. I embarrassed myself. Now I'm considering that I will no longer try to become an attorney.

I realize that I went through law school because I feared what others might think. I'm smart but my anxiety over the job search led me to irrational behavior. It's strange but the thank you note might be the biggest turning point in my life.

I think she was thanking you.

This seems irrational on part of the company. Oh and hiring managers can be dickheads.

What was in the note? I'd hope it was no more than thanks for the opportunity and look forward to hearing from you soon.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why the did you send a Thank You for the consideration (I assume that is what it is) note before they even let you know if you had the job or not?

Or is this a Thank You for the interview card?

So weird.

AkuMifune

Banned
I got hired because I wrote a follow up thank-you and no one else had. Different people hire for different reasons. Don't second guess yourself!

And hang in there.

Zhengi

Definitely need to know what the thank you note says. Did you make some inappropriate compliment about the woman's appearance or something?

gutshot

You're giving up on your chosen career because of one potential job that got away?

There will be other opportunities. Learn from this and move on.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did you miss spell something in the note? Or did they just fine it corny/lame and figured they didn't want someone who would do that on there team?

Um, in the US sending a thank you note after an interview is essentially mandatory if you want to be considered.

Not at all, at least not for any company I've ever worked for and been part of the hiring process. We've never considered anyone based off a note, or stopped considering them for not leaving a note. Its polite to thank people for the interview once the interview is over, in person, not sending a note. Especially when these days any job offer you put out gets hundreds of replies and you usually do a large amount of interviews.

You need to send a thank you note when you interview for a lawyer position? I've never heard of sending a thank you note to an interviewer before.

Did you thank them for hiring you before they made an offer?

Um, in the US sending a thank you note after an interview is essentially mandatory if you want to be considered.

You mean for attorneys? Because otherwise it really isnt.

Raxus

No Thank You Note.

Really, you're gonna give up trying to become an attorney over this? Why did you go to law school then if this was enough to stop you in your tracks?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
the text in the op is why you didn't get the job. i have no clue what you're even talking about, yet there are a decent amount of words that i just read.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Sorry to hear that. I'm interested in what your thank you note said as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Haha, what? I don't know what field you are in but a nice follow up e-mail is about all you should really be doing for work that I do.

PBY

Banned

Man, before I even clicked this thread I guessed that this was a law interview thank you note. The amount of back and forth and overthinking that us law students do about these is crazy. I'd be willing to bet that unless it was egregious, it was prob more than just the note though.

What did the note say?
bioshock-Infinite-telegram-Booker-DeWitt-dick-butt-13655429241.gif

Loomba

It ridiculous if that is what dismissed you, i've never done it personally but I thought it sounds like a nice gesture.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hate how ridiculous the interview process has become.

Individually crafted cover letters, meticulous planning into your interview outfit, seminars on how to change your entire personality for an interview, and thank you notes....it just goes on.

Is it even about qualifications anymore?

"Thank you for your time and consideration for this position. I am certain that I am very well qualified to work for your firm/office/restaurant/kitchen/etc. If you need to contact me for anything my info should be in my application.

Thanks again,
pgtl_10

P.S. Apologies for the crayon and red construction paper, it was all I had handy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom