• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I narc'd on a 16 year old girl to her mother (both strangers) over Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

giphy.gif

I'm not sure I completely buy that gif.

"Tattle."

"Tattling" is something I did when I was 6 and I thought little Timmy was eating more than his share of twinkies. I'm not sure I'd call it "tattling" if I turned someone in for driving erratically or dangerously. The former may make me sad because I only get 1 twinkie instead of 2; the latter can seriously injure or kill people.

You seriously need to watch your twinkie intake, bruh.

If you follow sportscenter, sometimes they have a athlete on and you can ask them questions. After game 1 of the finals they had Harrison Barnes on.

Garuroh

I am a father, and I would question why my daughter was broadcasting herself to the world. If someone says "everyone look at me" I don't see the point in blaming the person looking.

Sounds like victim blaming (I know OP wasn't actively searching for underage users streams)

Slacker

Sounds like victim blaming (I know OP wasn't actively searching for underage users streams)

To victim blame you need a victim.

Just fired up Periscope and saw three different people driving while broadcasting. Time to see if I can replicate OP's success!

orochi91

Good work, OP.

If that were my child, I would definitely appreciate being informed.

How dense and moronic is this girl?

She's putting her life + passenger (and anybody else unfortunate enough to be in her way) in danger should she lose control.

Yes, that is something being sold to people who are looking for a super cheap phone holder for GPS use.

I'm glad the OP did what he did, even if it isn't his place to do so. Being 16 doesn't make you less responsible for what happens behind the road, should an accident occur.

It's not cute to have someone multitasking/looking down while driving. They endanger themselves and the people around them. They become as a big a hazard as a drunk driver.

Now we are calling the girl a victim? of what exactly? for getting viewers for an open stream?

I don't care how he ended up watching the stream, OP did the right thing,

Dali

A lot of people don't seem to know what periscope is.

Or, perhaps, some people have a sense of privacy that is antiquated and predates the modern era where 16 year old girls are publicly broadcasting their lives on the internet in a huge variety of ways.
I honestly don't know how I got by before this tech. I used to have to ride through the a high school parking lot right as the bell rang to sceeve on 16 year olds. Now I don't even have to leave the house.

Azuran

Banned
- Watching a 16 year old girl do stupid shit on Periscope while driving = creepy
- Watching a 16 year old girl do stupid shit on Twitch while playing vidya games = not creepy

Okay GAF.

wildfire

Banned
- Watching a 16 year old girl do stupid shit on Periscope while driving = creepy
- Watching a 16 year old girl do stupid shit on Twitch while playing vidya games = not creepy

Okay GAF members.

Seriously this was the first reaction I had when I saw the initial barrage of adults failing completely to being self aware.

terrisus

Okay GAF.

If it helps any, I think both instances are strange >.>

Okay GAF.

Where are these 16 year old girls that are playing video games on Twitch and subsequently doing stupid shit? Who can they potentially harm?

Wreav

Banned
Since you're not friends, your message went straight to her "Other" inbox where she'll never see it.

I will admit, I thought of that, and briefly considered mailing the same message to her house...but that's a little more skeevy, given the anonymity.

Can you imagine the impact that would have on you as a 16 year old? Legit shook.

I will admit, I thought of that, and briefly considered mailing the same message to her house...but that's a little more skeevy, given the anonymity.

Can you imagine the impact that would have on you as a 16 year old? Legit shook.

I get it that you want to do the right thing, but stop right here. The family will be absolutely freaked out when they receive an anonymous letter because someone went out of their way to get their home address.
Just move on, you tried to do a good thing and didn't get a response.

Wreav

Banned
I get it that you want to do the right thing, but stop right here. The family will be absolutely freaked out when they receive an anonymous letter because someone went out of their way to get their home address.
Just move on, you tried to do a good thing and didn't get an response.

I'm not doing it, just saying the thought crossed my mind, and I got a laugh at the thought of 16 year old me getting such a letter.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Okay GAF.

I don't watch 16 year old girls twitch streams, pal. :p

Slacker

Good. These kids need to know the consequences of broadcasting themselves on the internet. They seem to think it's just their idiot friends and cute boys watching. Nope! The first time my daughter turns on a webcam accessible by strangers is the last time she gets on the internet in my house. It amazes me how many parents have absolutely no idea what their kids are up to or how dangerous this stuff can be.

Edit: I probably wouldn't go that far either, but I do think kids need to know what they're getting into with this stuff.

Yes, that is something being sold to people who are looking for a super cheap phone holder for GPS use.

I'm glad the OP did what he did, even if it isn't his place to do so. Being 16 doesn't make you less responsible for what happens behind the road, should an accident occur.

It's not cute to have someone multitasking/looking down while driving. They endanger themselves and the people around them. They become as a big a hazard as a drunk driver.

What in the fuck? They need make those illegal that's just absurd!

Ivan 3414

You guys should go download periscope. Then after you browse random local streams, not really being able to tell what the streams actually are until you view them, come back to GAF and talk about how you happened across a stream of a young girl so that judgey, out-of-touch fools can call you a pervert.

ding ding ding

If it's random and hard to tell it's one thing but when you do know it might be time to start feeling icky and get off the stream and regardless of what stupid thing they're doing, even with good intentions it's probably not the best idea to get a hold of their family members.

My sister tattled on me to my parents just last week, all because I tied up some of her friends and subjected them to waterboarding.

What a whiny snitch my bratty little sister is!

Snitches get stitches... Or a drone strike.

Okay GAF.

A man over a certain age watching a 16 year old do anything is automatically deemed creepy, society decided that a while ago along with the possibility that he's a pedophile because a lot of people like misusing and abusing that word.

But still, if you're out of their peer age you probably shouldn't be watching teenagers on the internet.

Where are these 16 year old girls that are playing video games on Twitch and subsequently doing stupid shit? Who can they potentially harm?

Themselves? 16 year olds have been doing stupid, potentially life ruining shit all over the internet for a while now, but I'm sure it's not really happening on Twitch since it seems to be heavily monitored.

injurai

Banned
ITT: Gaf calling OP a creeper for using a social app that consensual brings people to another's perspective. Then does a socially responsible thing by informing the girls parents of her behavior. Such an action may save and her friends life. And Gaf is saying it's first and foremost creepy?

ITT: Gaf calling OP a creeper for using a social app that consensual brings people to another's perspective. Then does a socially responsible thing by informing the girls parents of her behavior. Such an action may save and her friends life. And Gaf is saying it's first and foremost creepy?

Yeah, pretty strange. I think GAF just didn't know or doesn't understand what Periscope is? Maybe GAF is actually filled with 60 year olds or something.

Thank you for reminding us that we all believe the OP is a creep. GAFs hivemind needs to be constantly reminded of its status.
/s

You did the right thing OP. Are you expecting the mother to answer you back? Cause that ain't happening.

Bilix

Well, you Facebook messaged a person you're not friends with. Chances are they haven't seen it, and probably won't for a long time, if ever.

Not his place? You're driving like a moron on public roads potentially engandering other peoples lives and my own. I have every right to tell your mommy or another authority figure that you're acting like a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom