• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2018-2019. High memory costs, now with more cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I bought a new gaming PC from MIcrocenter today. My old Dell I bought in 2012 was starting to have a lot of issues and was getting super slow. This new PC is my first time using SSD. I am amazed at how quick things are. I hit login and 1 second later everything is good to go!

New PC has:
  • Intel Core i7-9700K Processor 3.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD
I still need to buy a better monitor. I don't think I am getting the full power out of this thing using this old cheap 1080p display I have. I'll probably grab a better one in a few months. One big purchase is enough for now.

What type of monitor would be better to buy for my set up? 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz? I mostly play MMOs, RPGs and adventure games, with an occasional shooter mixed in. I'm thinking 4k would be better for that? Monitor technology has gotten a lot more advanced since I last bought one.

Leonidas

What type of monitor would be better to buy for my set up? 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz? I mostly play MMOs, RPGs and adventure games, with an occasional shooter mixed in. I'm thinking 4k would be better for that? Monitor technology has gotten a lot more advanced since I last bought one.

Both are equally good choices(IMO).
I'd go 4K if you want a large screen(~32"). Now that 2070 supports adaptive-sync there are Free-Sync monitors that support it at relatively low costs.
Your CPU is also well suited for high refresh 1440p144 hz so if you're going for a smaller screen(~27") you might as well go for the smoother experience.

Inanilmaz

Is the vega56(will buy after its cheap) compatible with my system? PSU enough etc?

Current system
-I5 2500k 3.3-3.7 boost
-Asus 6950 directcu ii 1GB
-Asus P8P67
-Cougar SX 550w 80+Silver
-8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
-64GB SSD/1TB HDD
-Lian Li PC-7FN ATX

-Monitor: 27UD58P (Freesync Range 40-60)

The games I want to play in 4k max, no aa, 40fps+ freesync (1-2 games with lower settings/resolution and fps) I hope its possible:

The Darkness 2
Mini Ninjas
Killer is Dead
Alan Wake
Overlord
Binary Domain
Jet Set Radio
A Boy and His Blob
Batman: Arkham Origins
Shadow Warrior
Risen 2
Metro 2033
Murdered Soul Suspect
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Lego Lord of the Rings
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Gears of War
Crysis 1
Forza Horizon 4
Cuphead

Last edited:
I bought a new gaming PC from MIcrocenter today. My old Dell I bought in 2012 was starting to have a lot of issues and was getting super slow. This new PC is my first time using SSD. I am amazed at how quick things are. I hit login and 1 second later everything is good to go!

New PC has:
  • Intel Core i7-9700K Processor 3.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD
I still need to buy a better monitor. I don't think I am getting the full power out of this thing using this old cheap 1080p display I have. I'll probably grab a better one in a few months. One big purchase is enough for now.

Went the same path with the one I got (custom from CyberPower PC) except 1070Ti and 1 TB SSD (860 EVO m.2).

I guess 4k might do if you just want more viewing space.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is the vega56(will buy after its cheap) compatible with my system? PSU enough etc?

Current system
-I5 2500k 3.3-3.7 boost
-Asus 6950 directcu ii 1GB
-Asus P8P67
-Cougar SX 550w 80+Silver
-8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
-64GB SSD/1TB HDD
-Lian Li PC-7FN ATX

-Monitor: 27UD58P (Freesync Range 40-60)

The games I want to play in 4k max, no aa, 40fps+ freesync (1-2 games with lower settings/resolution and fps) I hope its possible:

The Darkness 2
Mini Ninjas
Killer is Dead
Alan Wake
Overlord
Binary Domain
Jet Set Radio
A Boy and His Blob
Batman: Arkham Origins
Shadow Warrior
Risen 2
Metro 2033
Murdered Soul Suspect
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Lego Lord of the Rings
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Gears of War
Crysis 1
Forza Horizon 4
Cuphead

should be fine to stick a V56 in there but your CPU + RAM are very old/slow and likely will bottleneck it too much. i think if you're wanting to play 4K at max settings then you need to think about upgrading your entire PC. new cpu, new motherboard, AT LEAST 16GB ram (8GB is not enough), new gpu....probably new PSU as well.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Both are equally good choices(IMO).
I'd go 4K if you want a large screen(~32"). Now that 2070 supports adaptive-sync there are Free-Sync monitors that support it at relatively low costs.
Your CPU is also well suited for high refresh 1440p144 hz so if you're going for a smaller screen(~27") you might as well go for the smoother experience.
Went the same path with the one I got (custom from CyberPower PC) except 1070Ti and 1 TB SSD (860 EVO m.2).

I guess 4k might do if you just want more viewing space.

Thanks. I ended up getting going out and getting a monitor today. I went with the Asus MG270, 1440p, 144hz, freesync. It's amazing how much more bright and crisp this thing is then my old beat up monitor. Looks like my set up is all fully upgraded now.

Last edited:
Huzzah. I finally managed to get a better OC out of my 1060. After shunt modding my twin 980ti's, losing one to liquid metal drippage on the PCB even with ample precautions, and the other just dying out due to running a high power draw and probably a bit too high of an OC on air, I've been apprehensive about fucking with my 1060 beyond simple overclocking via afterburner and not fucking with voltage too much...but I said fuck it. I got tired of it being unstable @ 2075mhz on the core and around 8800mhz on the memory. So I fucked with it and eeked out another 76mhz on the core, and another around 200 mhz on the memory fully stable. The fan is on max, because I wanted to see if I could eek out a bit more, but alas, I ran into that ol nvidia power limitation and couldn't get anything more stable than 2151. It's small gains, but it got me 2 extra fps in Witcher 3.

Since I'm getting an RTX 2060 soon, (I have 1440p monitors, and I don't plan on buying a 4k for now as I'm perfectly happy with 1440p.) I may as well enjoy this card to the max as much as I can whilst I have it.

vFeKo3N.png

MadYarpen

I ordered this yesterday. Will try to build it myself...

Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB GDDR5 (256 Bit) DVI-D, 2xHDMI, 2xDP (11265-31-20G)
Lite-On iHAS124-14
SilentiumPC Armis AR3 TG (SPC199)
HyperX DDR4, 16GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (HX432C16PB3K2/16)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9GHz, 16MB, BOX (YD2600BBAFBOX)
XFX TS Single Rail 650W (P1-650G-TS3X)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA3 (MZ-76E500B/EU) (Dyski SSD)
Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I, WiFi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5, PCIe, Dual Band, 1734 Mbps
SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 v2 (SPC144) (Chłodzenie CPU)

I have to say I am quite surprised.

I didn't have a chance to test it a lot, and only relatively new game I've tried is COD Infinite Warfare. So I guess it is not that challenging title, it's FPS after all.

Anyway, on maxed settings I get around 100FPS, minimal number was I think... 85? And it is very often around 120-125. 1080p resolution of course. I am not even sure if fans in the GPU turned on...

I expected I'd be getting around 60 FPS which would be nice by itself.

It will be interesting to see how the PC deals with an open world game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
are we still using this thread? i can't find a 2019 one....

i'm thinking about getting the new Ryzen CPUs to replace my current 6700K. i'm worried that my current PSU won't be enough. going by the rumours the new ryzen cpus will range from 65-135W TDP. my 6700K is 95W. i have a Evga 750W G2 PSU and according to http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ i use about 593W and they recommend a 643W PSU. using 593 out of 750W means i'm only using about 80% of the PSU's capacity which i've read is ideal (it's 80% Gold rated).

i plan on getting whatever the highest end Ryzen cpu is. going by the rumours that'd be a 135W Ryzen 9 3850X with 16c/32t. the Ryzen cpu we saw at CES was only 8 cores and that ran at ~130W but if they are gonna release a 16 core then it'll be much higher.

i don't know how TDP works exactly but that CPU would be 40W higher than my 6700K and is it correct that the TDP is only for stock settings without the turbo boost? so running the cpu at turbo or overclocking it will obviously mean higher power consumption. i was thinking of getting a 850W psu but i can stretch to a 1000W.

what are your thoughts?? i'm thinking i'll probably just go with 1000W to be safe. surely that'd be enough, right???

Leonidas

are we still using this thread? i can't find a 2019 one....

i'm thinking about getting the new Ryzen CPUs to replace my current 6700K. i'm worried that my current PSU won't be enough. going by the rumours the new ryzen cpus will range from 65-135W TDP. my 6700K is 95W. i have a Evga 750W G2 PSU and according to http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ i use about 593W and they recommend a 643W PSU. using 593 out of 750W means i'm only using about 80% of the PSU's capacity which i've read is ideal (it's 80% Gold rated).

i plan on getting whatever the highest end Ryzen cpu is. going by the rumours that'd be a 135W Ryzen 9 3850X with 16c/32t. the Ryzen cpu we saw at CES was only 8 cores and that ran at ~130W but if they are gonna release a 16 core then it'll be much higher.

i don't know how TDP works exactly but that CPU would be 40W higher than my 6700K and is it correct that the TDP is only for stock settings without the turbo boost? so running the cpu at turbo or overclocking it will obviously mean higher power consumption. i was thinking of getting a 850W psu but i can stretch to a 1000W.

what are your thoughts?? i'm thinking i'll probably just go with 1000W to be safe. surely that'd be enough, right???
You'll most likely be fine using your current PSU. I entered my specs into the same calculator and it seems like it's either over estimating or giving a worst case scenario...

I can't stand it. I love RGB. I'm getting Lian Li cable mods for my 24 pin connector and my pcie connectors. I'm also getting a motherboard with a shit ton of rgb. Help me.

Casanova

Guys, I just bought everything for my first build (I've helped a couple of friends build theirs, though!), and I would love some feedback, future advice, cautions, considerations, recommendations, criticism, etc. It's *trying* to be a mid-high range white build that is moderately "future-proof" for later upgrades, and also has some merry little addressable RGB's spread around. I'm looking for anything positive and constructive. I won't be offended, as I am still learning and I am still *very* new to this. I think I "did my research" to the best of my knowledge, but I am certain that I still made some beginner mistakes. To be honest, I'm just really excited to finally have my own custom gaming machine (as soon as it comes in the mail) and to share the build I've been working on with you guys. I put a lot of time into deciding what components to buy for this build in order to make it clean and somewhat functional for a while. Let me know what you all think, but don't be too rough on me ;)

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qnhxq4

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($308.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - Fryzen 64 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC - MX4 4 g Thermal Paste ($4.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($161.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill - CULLINAN ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - XF270H Bbmiiprzx 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($199.48 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Asus - ROG Sica Wired Optical Mouse ($49.88 @ Newegg)
Other: Corsair CSSD-BRKT2 Dual SSD Mounting Bracket ($9.99)
Other: OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable (UV Blue) ($4.99)
Other: AYA ATX/PCI-E Extension Cable Kit (White) ($29.99)
Other: DEEPCOOL RGB 350 Computer Lighting Kit ($16.99)

Total: $1810.52

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not sure if this is the right place but i'm having trouble calibrating my monitor.

it was just fine last night but i decided to update my GPU drivers (rtx 2080) because i was wanting to play Battlefield V. however when i installed the latest drivers i couldn't set the gamma. i had it set to 2.2 previously but now when i adjust the gamma it just doesn't go back to 2.2. i've tried going back to the previous driver i had installed (and used DDU) but nope that's not working.

i've managed to get a decent quality out of my monitor at the moment but the gamma is way off. when i adjust it in either windows or nvidia control panel it just does nothing at all or makes the screen super dark. WTF is going on?

i really need it to be set properly for my photo/video work.

Leonidas

Let me know what you all think, but don't be too rough on me

Looks good, I probably would have changed a few things to get the cost down a bit while offering close to the same performance but I suppose it's partly down to preferences.

MadYarpen

Guys, I just bought everything for my first build (I've helped a couple of friends build theirs, though!), and I would love some feedback, future advice, cautions, considerations, recommendations, criticism, etc. It's *trying* to be a mid-high range white build that is moderately "future-proof" for later upgrades, and also has some merry little addressable RGB's spread around. I'm looking for anything positive and constructive. I won't be offended, as I am still learning and I am still *very* new to this. I think I "did my research" to the best of my knowledge, but I am certain that I still made some beginner mistakes. To be honest, I'm just really excited to finally have my own custom gaming machine (as soon as it comes in the mail) and to share the build I've been working on with you guys. I put a lot of time into deciding what components to buy for this build in order to make it clean and somewhat functional for a while. Let me know what you all think, but don't be too rough on me ;)

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qnhxq4

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($308.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - Fryzen 64 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC - MX4 4 g Thermal Paste ($4.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($161.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill - CULLINAN ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - XF270H Bbmiiprzx 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($199.48 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Asus - ROG Sica Wired Optical Mouse ($49.88 @ Newegg)
Other: Corsair CSSD-BRKT2 Dual SSD Mounting Bracket ($9.99)
Other: OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable (UV Blue) ($4.99)
Other: AYA ATX/PCI-E Extension Cable Kit (White) ($29.99)
Other: DEEPCOOL RGB 350 Computer Lighting Kit ($16.99)

Total: $1810.52

One thing I found out when building mine, is that for gaming you don't really need M.2 drive. So maybe you could put these money somewhere else.
Make sure RAM fits under/near CPU cooler, I guess RGB makes it higher...

A.Romero

not sure if this is the right place but i'm having trouble calibrating my monitor.

it was just fine last night but i decided to update my GPU drivers (rtx 2080) because i was wanting to play Battlefield V. however when i installed the latest drivers i couldn't set the gamma. i had it set to 2.2 previously but now when i adjust the gamma it just doesn't go back to 2.2. i've tried going back to the previous driver i had installed (and used DDU) but nope that's not working.

i've managed to get a decent quality out of my monitor at the moment but the gamma is way off. when i adjust it in either windows or nvidia control panel it just does nothing at all or makes the screen super dark. WTF is going on?

i really need it to be set properly for my photo/video work.

No idea, never dealt with that issue. Have you try restoring to a previous date?

Casanova

Everything is up and running on my new build (see above)! Really happy with how it turned out.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Sorry for bumping old thread, but i did not want to create a new thread just for this question.

Currently im trying to update my ancient PC, nothing fancy, just something good to run newest modern games on 1080p.

My current build is

Asrock H97 Fatality (lga 1150)
Geforce 650TI
Intel I5 4590 3,3GH
8gb ram.

At first i was thinking about updating video card (RTX 2060 or RX 580) but it would bottleneck my currently CPU hard, problem is i just discovered that in order to get a Ryzen CPU (which is far cheaper on my country) i would need to buy a whole new motherboard and Ram.

So i would like advice, is it better to buy a videocard first or buy a new motherboard along with Ryzen CPU and Ram?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I need advice too, lol.

I’m ready to upgrade and/or get a new PC. My current one has served me well, but when I went to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance recently, I turned the graphics up and was not happy with the frame rate. It was definitely playable, but, you know, it’s time.

So, my main goal is to have a PC that is ready to play Cyberpunk 2077 with everything dialled up to 11. I know that is hard to foresee right now, but I was wondering if I am better off doing some cheapish upgrades to my current PC (like more RAM, better video card) to tide me over until we have more of an idea of Cyberpunk’s specs or if I can safely build a capable PC now. I’m not sure if RAM will make much difference or if it is my CPU or video card bottlenecking.

Anyway, my current PC is:

• CPU: Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell CPU
•Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
•RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133
•Video card: Gigabyte N770OC-4GDM

Any advice is appreciated.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I need advice too, lol.

I’m ready to upgrade and/or get a new PC. My current one has served me well, but when I went to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance recently, I turned the graphics up and was not happy with the frame rate. It was definitely playable, but, you know, it’s time.

So, my main goal is to have a PC that is ready to play Cyberpunk 2077 with everything dialled up to 11. I know that is hard to foresee right now, but I was wondering if I am better off doing some cheapish upgrades to my current PC (like more RAM, better video card) to tide me over until we have more of an idea of Cyberpunk’s specs or if I can safely build a capable PC now. I’m not sure if RAM will make much difference or if it is my CPU or video card bottlenecking.

Anyway, my current PC is:

• CPU: Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell CPU
•Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
•RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133
•Video card: Gigabyte N770OC-4GDM

Any advice is appreciated.

It really depends on your budget. If you build a high end PC and get a new montior now (or depending on the monitor you have) I cant see it not playing Cyberpunk at ultra settings. Of course if you dont have big budget you could simply upgrade your GPU, maybe try to overclock your CPU as well while you're at it. But I think its time to change out the Haswell IMO, and then that necessitates new MOBO, RAM, etc.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Sorry for bumping old thread, but i did not want to create a new thread just for this question.

Currently im trying to update my ancient PC, nothing fancy, just something good to run newest modern games on 1080p.

My current build is

Geforce 650TI
Intel I5 4590 3,3GH
8gb ram.

At first i was thinking about updating video card (RTX 2060 or RX 580) but it would bottleneck my currently CPU hard, problem is i just discovered that in order to get a Ryzen CPU (which is far cheaper on my country) i would need to buy a whole new motherboard and Ram.

So i would like advice, is it better to buy a videocard first or buy a new motherboard along with Ryzen CPU and Ram?

Similar comment as to the one above. Let us know how much you want to spend. Yes the shitty thing about PC gaming is when its time to either change your MOBO or CPU you are looking at a (nearly) complete rebuild.

Last edited:

Ramzy

I'd really like to build a new PC but I can't justify the prices of the RTX 20 series, and on the CPU side of things, with Ryzen 3 due in a few months, It seems like a better idea to wait.

Radeon VII was a total flop and costs the same as a RTX2080 reference board, yet provides worse performance, and I personally like ShadowPlay, timely driver updates, GSYNC, and all of nvidia's "value add" features.

$2200~ on a 2080Ti feels like highway robbery and I feel like nvidia, with their stocks tanking, might realise their monumental fuck up and bring pricing down to a reasonable level when the next gen comes out.

Historically, looking at the GTX280, 480, 580, 680, 780, and 980, nvidia generally releases an uber expensive "first gen" product, then refines it with a cheaper, better, more reasonably priced version the next year. I'm trying to convince myself that the RTX 20 series is worth skipping in favour of a hypothetically RTX3080Ti with 2nd gen RTX and more reasonable pricing.

Not sure, all i know right now is that my 980Ti is struggling with my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor and newer games are barely playable at medium to low settings (most recently Apex Legends barely maintains 50fps at medium low settings).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd really like to build a new PC but I can't justify the prices of the RTX 20 series, and on the CPU side of things, with Ryzen 3 due in a few months, It seems like a better idea to wait.

Radeon VII was a total flop and costs the same as a RTX2080 reference board, yet provides worse performance, and I personally like ShadowPlay, timely driver updates, GSYNC, and all of nvidia's "value add" features.

$2200~ on a 2080Ti feels like highway robbery and I feel like nvidia, with their stocks tanking, might realise their monumental fuck up and bring pricing down to a reasonable level when the next gen comes out.

Historically, looking at the GTX280, 480, 580, 680, 780, and 980, nvidia generally releases an uber expensive "first gen" product, then refines it with a cheaper, better, more reasonably priced version the next year. I'm trying to convince myself that the RTX 20 series is worth skipping in favour of a hypothetically RTX3080Ti with 2nd gen RTX and more reasonable pricing.

Not sure, all i know right now is that my 980Ti is struggling with my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor and newer games are barely playable at medium to low settings (most recently Apex Legends barely maintains 50fps at medium low settings).

I don't think we'll be seeing a price drop on RTX cards this year. AMD just released their competition for the 2080 and it has failed. Maybe if it was priced lower then Nvidia would be forced to drop the price of the 2080. They got nothing for the 2080 Ti. There is no reason for Nvidia to lower the price of the 2080/2080 Ti. Here in the UK a VII cost £700 and a RTX 2080 FE cost £750. The 2080 has better performance/power consumption and has support for RTX/DLSS...not bad for an extra £50 which you can't really complain about if you're dropping £700 on a card lol.

The next card from AMD will be Navi and that'll not be here until October at the very earliest. It's likely it will be pushed into 2020 which is when Nvidia's 7nm cards are due. So yeah I think 2019 is over in terms of new GPUs except of course for the 1660 Ti or any other low end card. Unfortunately, my suggestion is if you need the power that these cards offer then you need to buy it because there is really no other option due to poor/no competition. Either that or you don't buy it and wait. It sucks but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Ramzy

I don't think we'll be seeing a price drop on RTX cards this year. AMD just released their competition for the 2080 and it has failed. Maybe if it was priced lower then Nvidia would be forced to drop the price of the 2080. They got nothing for the 2080 Ti. There is no reason for Nvidia to lower the price of the 2080/2080 Ti. Here in the UK a VII cost £700 and a RTX 2080 FE cost £750. The 2080 has better performance/power consumption and has support for RTX/DLSS...not bad for an extra £50 which you can't really complain about if you're dropping £700 on a card lol.

The next card from AMD will be Navi and that'll not be here until October at the very earliest. It's likely it will be pushed into 2020 which is when Nvidia's 7nm cards are due. So yeah I think 2019 is over in terms of new GPUs except of course for the 1660 Ti or any other low end card. Unfortunately, my suggestion is if you need the power that these cards offer then you need to buy it because there is really no other option due to poor/no competition. Either that or you don't buy it and wait. It sucks but it is what it is.

You're right that nvidia has no reason to lower their pricing from a competition perspective, but their stocks are free falling at the moment, and from my contacts at various distributors and vendors (Ingram Micro / Dicker Data / Synnex), the RTX20 series is selling poorly in comparison to the GTX10 series from yesteryear. A quick search on various forums and technology communities reinforces that... Not including the high failure rate of the RTX2080Ti and nvidia's mini recall.

So there's a little naive voice in my head telling me that nvidia will relent and that the RTX3080Ti might end up coming out for $1500, or at least something more reasonable than the $2200~ they're aksing for in Australia.

But you've got a point and i fear nvidia just doesn't give a shit at this point. They've shown themselves to be pretty anticompetitive and willing to use underhanded tactics to give themselves the upperhand, so they'll most likely not give a shit and continue with this insane pricing trend.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You're right that nvidia has no reason to lower their pricing from a competition perspective, but their stocks are free falling at the moment, and from my contacts at various distributors and vendors (Ingram Micro / Dicker Data / Synnex), the RTX20 series is selling poorly in comparison to the GTX10 series from yesteryear. A quick search on various forums and technology communities reinforces that... Not including the high failure rate of the RTX2080Ti and nvidia's mini recall.

So there's a little naive voice in my head telling me that nvidia will relent and that the RTX3080Ti might end up coming out for $1500, or at least something more reasonable than the $2200~ they're aksing for in Australia.

But you've got a point and i fear nvidia just doesn't give a shit at this point. They've shown themselves to be pretty anticompetitive and willing to use underhanded tactics to give themselves the upperhand, so they'll most likely not give a shit and continue with this insane pricing trend.

i get your points which i agree with but i also think it's likely that they won't give a shit. they have stopped making pascal cards (at least the 1080 ti as far as i know) so that'll only last so long because new stock will have dried up and then you're buying old second hand stuff. i was looking to get a 1080 ti but at the time they weren't much cheaper than a new 2080 so i went with that instead since it's newer, would get longer support, and has support for RTX/DLSS. i don't know what prices are like now though. as for the failure rate, yeah a lot of RTX cards have died (mine included) but i think they will have got it sorted out. every product has faulty units and will be replaced under warranty.

i hope you're right and that Nvidia do release cheaper refreshed cards but again..they probably don't give a fuck because they can get away with doing nothing.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Most likely the prices of the next gen cards will drop just a bit but I would bet that they just dont increase :(

It will take a much longer sustained loss for them to really change their strategy.

Ivellios

Similar comment as to the one above. Let us know how much you want to spend. Yes the shitty thing about PC gaming is when its time to either change your MOBO or CPU you are looking at a (nearly) complete rebuild.

I was thinking about spending $500 at most for a rtx 2060, after that i would only upgrade the rest of the PC at the end of the year.

I forgot to tell that i also need to buy a new 1080p monitor since my current one is very old as well.

A.Romero

I was thinking about spending $500 at most for a rtx 2060, after that i would only upgrade the rest of the PC at the end of the year.

I forgot to tell that i also need to buy a new 1080p monitor since my current one is very old as well.

I don't think it's worth it to hold out for new releases when talking about PC HW. I mean, there are yearly upgrades but that puts you in the position to decide if you want last year's model for a cheaper price or pay the usually standard price for the current model. It's a never ending cycle, specially when you game heavily on the PC and want the best performance - price balance.

So if these are correct: https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...re-i5-4590-3-30ghz/ultra?lang=en&currency=usd most likely your CPU will be bottlenecking your new GPU. Maybe OCing would help a bit.

That said, I'd agree that the GPU would be a better first step but I think you can do better with $500 if you hunt down for a sale.

Save to upgrade the rest of your PC in order to get the best out of your GPU. If you go for a current CPU/Mobo/RAM combo, you'll probably be fine for the next 4 - 5 years.

clem84

Gold Member
I didn't know where else to ask for this. What is the best capture device out there at the moment? I'm looking for something that can capture high quality video from my TV receiver, and that will also be used from time to time to capture console footage (PS4, Xbox, Switch). The El gato devices are often suggested.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DRWCOGA/

I'm just wondering how good they perform for TV capture from a TV receiver through HDMI.

Last edited:

I would say that ryzen motherboards are cheaper than intel's. Also while some may say navi might not make it this year, I'm hopeful it will, and will cause a drop in card prices. Right now performance and prices on gpus have been somewhat stagnant, if navi has good performance/price ratio it could change things.

Last edited:

Ivellios

I don't think it's worth it to hold out for new releases when talking about PC HW. I mean, there are yearly upgrades but that puts you in the position to decide if you want last year's model for a cheaper price or pay the usually standard price for the current model. It's a never ending cycle, specially when you game heavily on the PC and want the best performance - price balance.

So if these are correct: https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...re-i5-4590-3-30ghz/ultra?lang=en&currency=usd most likely your CPU will be bottlenecking your new GPU. Maybe OCing would help a bit.

That said, I'd agree that the GPU would be a better first step but I think you can do better with $500 if you hunt down for a sale.

Save to upgrade the rest of your PC in order to get the best out of your GPU. If you go for a current CPU/Mobo/RAM combo, you'll probably be fine for the next 4 - 5 years.

I was thinking that maybe it is worth It to wait at least for Zen 2 CPU maybe, since AMD CPUs are really good and buy a GPU/monitor for now.

Honestly building PC is harder than i thought.

I would say that ryzen motherboards are cheaper than intel's. Also while some may say navi might not make it this year, I'm hopeful it will, and will cause a drop in card prices. Right now performance and prices on gpus have been somewhat stagnant, if navi has good performance/price ratio it could change things.

I have been hearing about Navi since last year and i dont know if its worth it waiting such a long time to upgrade, for all we know it might end up being expensive as NVidia cards.

kikonawa

My current build is

Geforce 650TI
Intel I5 4590 3,3GH
8gb ram.

I would just upgrade the videocard to a rx480 rx580 or geforce 1060 That would balance your system cpu to gpu wise.

I have been hearing about Navi since last year and i dont know if its worth it waiting such a long time to upgrade, for all we know it might end up being expensive as NVidia cards.
The rumors were 250$ price.

It is supposedly sharing architecture with ps4, so at least some versions should come cheap. Whether going Nvidia or AMD, it could cause a drop in prices of all existing products if it has good performance cost ratio.

The 480 came quite cheap and I think that was related to the current gen consoles.

Ivellios

I would just upgrade the videocard to a rx480 rx580 or geforce 1060 That would balance your system cpu to gpu wise.
Maybe i will do that and just make peace that i will barely play newer games on medium settings for a long time.

The rumors were 250$ price.

It is supposedly sharing architecture with ps4, so at least some versions should come cheap. Whether going Nvidia or AMD, it could cause a drop in prices of all existing products if it has good performance cost ratio.

The 480 came quite cheap and I think that was related to the current gen consoles.

Maybe, the problem is waiting a whole year for the rumor that maybe Navi will deliver good performance at $250.

kikonawa

Maybe i will do that and just make peace that i will barely play newer games on medium settings for a long time.

Maybe, the problem is waiting a whole year for the rumor that maybe Navi will deliver good performance at $250.
I have a i5 3570 with a radeon 290 4gb. I still play lots of games in high. 1080p that is. No need for an upgrade just yet

Depends on if the rumor of Q2 2019 navi is true or not, as Q2 is just around the corner

I have a i5 3570 with a radeon 290 4gb. I still play lots of games in high. 1080p that is. No need for an upgrade just yet
1060 is also good enough for 1080p.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Since 2019 thread does not exists at this point, I'll ask here.

Shoud I go for Samsung B-Die for my new Z390 build (9700K / 9900K + Z390 Aorus Master) or Hynix will be just as fine @3200 CL16 with potential OC to 3400-3600? Just not sure if I should go for 2 kits (32GB in total) of GP-AR32C16S8K2SU416R (Samsung B-Die) or GP-AR32C16S8K2HU416R (Hynix) if I can buy 2 Hynix kits much cheaper - 3000K RUB less to be exact.

The PSU is going on my current PC so looking for a new one. When I finally upgrade to a new PC I'd like to build as small as I can so any recommendations for a PSU that'll go into a small case and be pretty much silent?

Currently have a 1060 and 4690k.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Since 2019 thread does not exists at this point, I'll ask here.

Shoud I go for Samsung B-Die for my new Z390 build (9700K / 9900K + Z390 Aorus Master) or Hynix will be just as fine @3200 CL16 with potential OC to 3400-3600? Just not sure if I should go for 2 kits (32GB in total) of GP-AR32C16S8K2SU416R (Samsung B-Die) or GP-AR32C16S8K2HU416R (Hynix) if I can buy 2 Hynix kits much cheaper - 3000K RUB less to be exact.

I'd personally just go with the cheaper RAM if it's going to save you a decent amount. The difference isn't something most people would notice.

The PSU is going on my current PC so looking for a new one. When I finally upgrade to a new PC I'd like to build as small as I can so any recommendations for a PSU that'll go into a small case and be pretty much silent?

Currently have a 1060 and 4690k.

Have you considered fanless PSUs, they are a bit more expensive but they don't have any fan noise at all :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd personally just go with the cheaper RAM if it's going to save you a decent amount. The difference isn't something most people would notice.
So here's the thing. I can buy two 3600MHz HX436C17PB3K2/16 kits (Samsung B-Die / CL17) for the same price as two 3200Mhz GP-AR32C16S8K2SU416R kits (Samsung B-Die / CL16) - 24K RUB. Which is a better option in your opinion if the price is the same?

Last edited:

Leonidas

So here's the thing. I can buy two 3600MHz HX436C17PB3K4/16 kits (Samsung B-Die / CL17) for the same price as two 3200Mhz GP-AR32C16S8K2SU416R kits (Samsung B-Die / CL16) - 24K RUB. Which is a better option in your opinion if the price is the same?

In that case I'd probably just go with whichever model I felt looked the best in my rig as I personally wouldn't be able to tell a difference in the speed.

I bought a dedicated gaming monitor instead of using my 4K OLED tv and I absolutely love it. I have a 1070 ti hooked up to the tv but I'm thinking about building another computer for my monitor and leave the 1070 in the living room.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a card that supports g-sync and will display 2K resolution? That's the highest my new monitor supports.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Does anyone have a suggestion on a card that supports g-sync and will display 2K resolution? That's the highest my new monitor supports.
1080Ti if you can find it secondhand for a good price (400-450$) and if it wasn't used for mining (although it depends on how intensively it was used and for how long). 2080 is just way too expensive for what it is.

nkarafo

I have an i5 4670, 16GB RAM DDR3 and a GTX 1060 6GB.

This machine is pretty good for current gen titles, sans Metro Exodus perhaps. But it's good for playing games at XBOX one X quality or 60fps @ 1080p in most cases.

I want to make a new build that would support future games like Cyberpunk @ max settings/60fps but i don't know if it's the right time to do so.

Should i wait for the game first?

Wait for the next gen consoles? I fear that the new build won't be much better than the new consoles when they come out.

Maybe wait for DDR5 RAM to become mainstream?

Would a GFX card upgrade do it for me? I could upgrade to an RX 2060 and sell my current 1060. This should hold for a year or two until i can get a good DDR5 machine that will run run circles arount the PS5. But i'm afraid the CPU and DDR3 RAM will hold the card back. And i really don't like locking at 30fps :(

demigod

Does anyone have any recommendations on disk recovery software? I’m never buying Seagate hard drives ever again.

manfestival

This machine is pretty good for current gen titles, sans Metro Exodus perhaps. But it's good for playing games at XBOX one X quality or 60fps @ 1080p in most cases.

I want to make a new build that would support future games like Cyberpunk @ max settings/60fps but i don't know if it's the right time to do so.

Wait for the next gen consoles? I fear that the new build won't be much better than the new consoles when they come out.

Would a GFX card upgrade do it for me? I could upgrade to an RX 2060 and sell my current 1060. This should hold for a year or two until i can get a good DDR5 machine that will run run circles arount the PS5. But i'm afraid the CPU and DDR3 RAM will hold the card back. And i really don't like locking at 30fps :(
How much are you willing to upgrade though? I think you can easily achieve this. Especially at 1080p. I feel like 2k is where this generation is barely holding up and only a 2080ti might futureproof you. I have a 2080 that I recently got(got a prebuilt system for a great price, cheaper than building it myself went from an awesome gaming laptop with an i7 and 1070 to an i7 8700k and 2080 among things) and it does a great job of running games max settings but I cant even get most of these games to run consistently over 60fps max settings(bf5 with ray tracing runs like 40-70 fps, division 2 runs on average 65fps with constant dips in the 50s and in rare cases in the 40s, and there are more examples). Everything I read, it seems a 2070/vega 64 would crush the 1080p gaming side of things.

The only thing you should wait for is for this summer for the NAVI announcement(probably gotta wait 2 more months). Intel won't release GPUs till next year. Turing is almost done doing its full swing of gear. Nvidia might do price drops in reaction to NAVI but realistically... that is what you should be waiting for.

Celcius

°Temp. member

If your goal is mainly to run the game at max settings and 60 fps then personally I'd wait until we got closer to the release of Cyberpunk or at least until they release official recommended specs since you said that your current hardware runs current gen titles fine.
If you wait closer to the release date then not only will the recommended hardware be based on the newest & latest build of the game, but there's also the possibility that newer hardware may be out by then. At this point we don't even have a solid release date, so there's no telling if you could be waiting another year or two for the game come out.

Future-proofing tends to be difficult to do because of dealing with the unknown... it's possible that next-gen console specs could be something that none of us expected. In general I would say to just upgrade when your machine no longer gives you the experience or performance that you want because there's always something better just around the corner if you continue to wait. However, if there's a specific title that you're aiming for (Cyberpunk in this case) then it's usually best to wait until you get closer to the release date unless it's running on a popular game engine that makes it easy to estimate the performance requirements.

PhoenixTank

Does anyone have any recommendations on disk recovery software? I’m never buying Seagate hard drives ever again.
Depends. Near total failure? A linux live CD/USB with ddrescue is great for getting a complete as possible image of the drive but requires some knowledge and enough spare storage on another drive. Definitely has a learning curve if you're not familiar with linux in the first place.

Windows based software is going to be patchy at best. Doesn't have the same low level access available, unfortunately, but can do the job if just trying to get access to certain important files.

Best advice I can offer is to disconnect the drive entirely ASAP if not done already, think carefully about what you want/need to recover and research beforehand. Dying drives can rapidly deteriorate from the recovery process or general attempted access. Proper HDD/file recovery services are very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom