• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2018-2019. High memory costs, now with more cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Hullo.

I need a wee bit of advice.

I'm building a PC from spare bits I have for WoW classic. I have a Corsair Carbide 100R with a "maximum" Cooler clearance of 150mm. Now, I just bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212X and realised that it's 158mm in height. Doh. Thing is apparently they fit, and I've watched a fella on Youtube fit one but he had to turn it so the heatsink was horizontal instead of the usual vertical, which means the fan will be below the cooler pushing air out towards the top vent. There is space for two fans at the top of this case.

The Question. Would you move the rear exhaust fan to the top vent to pull hot air out from the CPU or leave it where it is. (I'm also going to fit a front fan to pull cool air into the case.)

Thank ee.

P.S I've been thinking. I could also, instead of fitting the front fan, move it to extract from the top and keep the rear exhaust where it is?

I would go with a top exhaust in that situation but you'd probably be fine with rear exhaust too if your temperatures are already good.

Returning it for something smaller could be a good option too if you can avoid return shipping fees...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Those building a new PC, remember to get one with bluetooth.
Pairing with the creative outlier gold true wireless buds have been a revelation.
Now i can take a shit with them streaming my vast muisc library.
They are sound pretty good already.
They work as wireless mic too!

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've been playing around with my PC overclock settings. i was originally at 4.9GHz with <1.34V with 3200MHz CL16 at 1.368V. now i'm at 5.0GHz with <1.32V (avg. 1.284V) and i've dropped my RAM to 2933MHz CL15 with <1.296V.

3200 was working fine but it's Intel so don't really need to run at those speeds. if it was an AMD cpu then yeah i'd have stuck at 3200. my old PC was running at 2666 so 2933 is a nice middle ground while also lowering latency and voltages. i MIGHT be able to lower DDR voltage a bit more but i feel i'm getting to the point where it might become unstable. it runs at 1.284V but will jump to 1.296V sometimes.

now i'm wondering if i might be able to push my CPU to 5.1GHz. with the RAM running a tad slower and lower voltages and with the CPU using <1.32V then maybe I can hit 5.1GHz while staying at a reasonable voltage. I definitely don't want to go beyond 1.35V. 5.0GHz is already insane and I'm really happy with it (considering my old cpu could only do 4.3GHz) so if it doesn't manage 5.1GHz then i don't really care. after that i might try increasing my ring ratio which is currently at 4.3GHz. not sure if that will be worth it since apparently it doesn't improve performance too much.

Last edited:

llien

Hey, I’m looking for a decent laptop that can emulate (mostly PS2 Xbox generation) games pretty well and is somewhere between 600 and 800 bucks. Can any of y’all tell me what my best choices are?
Lenovo E485/E585 (14" and 15" respectively)

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
i've been playing around with my PC overclock settings. i was originally at 4.9GHz with <1.34V with 3200MHz CL16 at 1.368V. now i'm at 5.0GHz with <1.32V (avg. 1.284V) and i've dropped my RAM to 2933MHz CL15 with <1.296V.

The biggest problem with this overclocking rabbit hole is that once you go down it, its very hard to know when to stop and just be satisfied with everything and enjoy your PC.

..after hours & hours of tinkering in the BIOS with my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-fi, 9900K & 32GB 3000 RAM I've now reached that point, and locked down a 4.8Ghz all core overclock @ 1.3vlts and my RAM overclocked to 3400Mhz @1.4vlts...quite frankly, if I never have to venture into the BIOS again it will be too soon.

My 9900K will do the usual 5Ghz all core with no problems but it pushes my Dark Rock 4 air cooler to its very limits and sometimes beyond (The AIDA64 FP64 Ray-Trace test, its insane!) because of the 1.35vlts that are required but at 4.8Ghz/1.3vlts temps will be around 30c at idle and max out at about 85-88c in the most demanding of stress test benchmarks I've tried, and in games i've never seen it go above 60c, usually hovering between 40c-55c.

...and honestly, the performance difference between 4.8Ghz & 5Ghz in games is imperceivable especially as I game at 4K and my 2080 chokes long before the 9900K ever will. The results of 5Ghz clocks only shows up in things like Cinebench...so pointless, really.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can someone help me? I'm thinking of buying a new case. The FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE S2 RGB.

It has a fan controller in it but I'm not sure how it works. I get that it's powered by a SATA cable but it also says it goes into a USB header and i need to plug it into my CPU header. so how am i meant to power both my CPU fans and my 4 case fans?

does the fan controller go into the CPU header. my secondary CPU fan goes into CPU_Opt as usual. then i just plug my 4 case fans into the controller?

wouldn't that mean that all my fans would be controller by the temperature of my CPU?

The biggest problem with this overclocking rabbit hole is that once you go down it, its very hard to know when to stop and just be satisfied with everything and enjoy your PC.

..after hours & hours of tinkering in the BIOS with my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-fi, 9900K & 32GB 3000 RAM I've now reached that point, and locked down a 4.8Ghz all core overclock @ 1.3vlts and my RAM overclocked to 3400Mhz @1.4vlts...quite frankly, if I never have to venture into the BIOS again it will be too soon.

My 9900K will do the usual 5Ghz all core with no problems but it pushes my Dark Rock 4 air cooler to its very limits and sometimes beyond (The AIDA64 FP64 Ray-Trace test, its insane!) because of the 1.35vlts that are required but at 4.8Ghz/1.3vlts temps will be around 30c at idle and max out at about 85-88c in the most demanding of stress test benchmarks I've tried, and in games i've never seen it go above 60c, usually hovering between 40c-55c.

...and honestly, the performance difference between 4.8Ghz & 5Ghz in games is imperceivable especially as I game at 4K and my 2080 chokes long before the 9900K ever will. The results of 5Ghz clocks only shows up in things like Cinebench...so pointless, really.
i know what you mean lol. i'll probably get tired of messing about with it soon i think. i feel i've done as much as i can with it. anything i do change going forward will be just small tweaks that won't really offer any significant performance improvement. also, i'm just really curious if i can get 5.1GHz.

i have the Dark Rock Pro 4 too. it's a great cooler but the 9900K gets extremely hot with Prime95/Linpack. I was hitting 100C. I think water is the only kind of cooling that will tame this thing when under that kind of load. Luckily, I don't think anyone will ever come close to using their CPU as much as Prime95/Linpack pushes it so I've just stopped using them. Well, i will still use the older version of Prime95 along with IntelBurnTest. I think RealBench is probably what i'd use to check stability for long periods of time. it's more realistic too than just hammering it with something like Linpack.

Under normal usage the temperatures are great. Under normal use (browsing internet/listening to music etc) or idle the CPU sits at 28-31C. my cpu cooler actually stops spinning sometimes and the cooler works passively until there is any kind of significant load put on it. in games i'm seeing about 40-55C depending on the game. when doing video work it is about 50-60C. that's probably as far as i'm ever gonna push this CPU.

5.0 is just kind of this magical number that people want to go after. i was insanely happy seeing this CPU run at 4.7 across 8 cores out the box after years of using my previous CPU at 4.3/4.4. being able to overclock to 5.0 all cores is just crazy. even if i couldn't hit 5.0 i'd be over the moon with 4.8 or 4.9 lol.

Last edited:

Dries

Hey guys, quick question just to be sure. I’ll probably be getting a 2080 Ti around march 2020. My CPU at the moment is an i7 6700K 4Ghz. Will this CPU pair well with an 2080 Ti or will the GPU be bottlenecked?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Hey guys, quick question just to be sure. I’ll probably be getting a 2080 Ti around march 2020. My CPU at the moment is an i7 6700K 4Ghz. Will this CPU pair well with an 2080 Ti or will the GPU be bottlenecked?

You'll be fine with 6700K in most cases, I recommend overclocking the CPU if you haven't already though, you can easily get to 7700K performance (maybe even better).

If you want benchmarks or a further explanation, check this out, they tested 2080 Ti with 7700K, which is basically a higher clocked 6700K.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

7700k is a good cpu also the 6700k is a good cpu. I totally agree with that one.

Really depends on the resolution you play at and what games really. Even a 9900k bottlenecks a 1080 ti at times. So yea.

Last edited:

Mithos

So... Looking on options for a new build (not NASA level though)...

Code:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600/3600x
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
Fractal Design Meshify C -TG
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB)
Cooler Master MWE Gold Fully Modular 650W
~€1150/€1200 (depending on 3600/3600x)

Code:
Intel Core i5-9600K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING
~€1200

On top of that I plan to add:
1. m.2 NVMe 250GB (for Win10)
2. 1TB NVMe/SSD for games
~€200

What would be the better choice and/or your suggestions. (and yes I know knocking off the rgb would lower the price somewhat, I'll think about it)
In absolute worst case.. I could use some OLD NVMe drives I have laying around never used for the OS drive (Samsung 256GB PM961)

Last edited:

Manus

So looking to upgrade my 970 and i5 4690k in time for Cyberpunk release. This is what I got so far. Using two LG 34" Ultrawides so I don't care about 4K gaming. Hope this will last me for a while. I know the case is over prices, but I'm going for looks as well.

yhwD8zv.png

Leonidas

Looks good Manus Manus , should last you a while and a massive upgrade over your old rig.

So... Looking on options for a new build (not NASA level though)...

Code:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600/3600x
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
~€1150/€1200 (depending on 3600/3600x)

Code:
Intel Core i5-9600K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING
~€1200

On top of that I plan to add:
1. m.2 NVMe 250GB (for Win10)
2. 1TB NVMe/SSD for games
~€200

What would be the better choice and/or your suggestions. (and yes I know knocking off the rgb would lower the price somewhat, I'll think about it)
In absolute worst case.. I could use some OLD NVMe drives I have laying around never used for the OS drive (Samsung 256GB PM961)

Looks good, I'd personally lean toward the Intel build since you'll have an upgrade path to the fastest gaming CPU (9900K) if you want, later on.
Might as well make use of the old unused NVMe drive as well, unless you were going to sell it or something. Not sure how prices are in your country but a 1 TB 660p NVMe drive is only $100 and is good enough for the majority of people.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
So looking to upgrade my 970 and i5 4690k in time for Cyberpunk release. This is what I got so far. Using two LG 34" Ultrawides so I don't care about 4K gaming. Hope this will last me for a while. I know the case is over prices, but I'm going for looks as well.

yhwD8zv.png

The only change I'd make (unless its all about aesthetics) is to ditch the Corsair AIO, you don't need it for a 9700K, 9900K yes but not a 9700K, a high end air cooler like the $50 Dark Rock 4 will keep temps well under control upto 5Ghz and use the cash saved to upgrade to 32GB of RAM.

Mithos

Looks good, I'd personally lean toward the Intel build since you'll have an upgrade path to the fastest gaming CPU (9900K) if you want, later on. Might as well make use of the old unused NVMe drive as well, unless you were going to sell it or something. Not sure how prices are in your country but a 1 TB 660p NVMe drive is only $100 and is good enough for the majority of people.

Yeah I lean to the Intel too, also if just the prices of Intel wasn't stagnant a i9 9900K would probably be nice upgrade a few years down the line.
Prices here are almost always 30% more then the us$ price is (sometime even as high as 50% more) , the unit you mention, is €130-140 specifically.
And yeah the Intel 660p series was kinda what I had looked on for that storage addition.

thanks for the reply.

Norse

After pricing out a new build and what it costs, I am glad local Walmart had all it's gaming PCs on clearance. Scored a cyberpower i7 8700, gtx1060 6gb, 16gb ram, 250 ssd, 1tb hdd, in win tower, gaming mouse and keyboard and rgb lighting with remote all for $599. So basically entire system for the cost of the cpu and graphics card.

Manus

The only change I'd make (unless its all about aesthetics) is to ditch the Corsair AIO, you don't need it for a 9700K, 9900K yes but not a 9700K, a high end air cooler like the $50 Dark Rock 4 will keep temps well under control upto 5Ghz and use the cash saved to upgrade to 32GB of RAM.

Yeah it's really just about the aesthetics. I have a really nice Cooler Master heat sink already , but it's ugly lol. Trying to go all out with the RGBs.

ellias

Banned
I was thinking about upgrading my cpu to a modern one (9xxx/3xxx series,) but it seems it's not really necessary when I'm only rocking a 1070ti.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I was thinking about upgrading my cpu to a modern one (9xxx/3xxx series,) but it seems it's not really necessary when I'm only rocking a 1070ti.

What cpu do you have?

Most CPUs can handle games at 60fps. You only really need a better CPU if your GPU is being bottlenecked or if you want to play at high refresh rates.

When you increase resolution games become GPU bound so it doesn't really matter what CPU you have. That's why AMD is popular again today...the might fall behind Intel at 1080p but go up to 1440/2160p and the difference is negligible.

As for cores ... 4 is on the way out but should last another couple years. The ideal count today is 6. In 2-3 years 4 will be useless. 6 will be minimum and 8 recommended. Might even see 10 cores being worthwhile. Anything over that I can't see being any use for gaming for at least another decade.

Last edited:
How is my (to me) 5 year old Haswell i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHz going to hold me back if I pair it up with a new 1660ti for 1080p gaming?

Are there any engines or games in particular that would LOL at this old CPU?

Last edited:

DESTROYA

What I would do is get the new GPU and try it out first, should be good for 1080p gaming but if you do upgrade the cpu you probably have to get a new mobo and ram.

Yep, would definitely need new board and ram, hence why I don't really want to upgrade the CPU this year. I'll try the GPU and see what it gets me.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
How is my (to me) 5 year old Haswell i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHz going to hold me back if I pair it up with a new 1660ti for 1080p gaming?

I had the 4690K (@4.6Ghz) until a few months ago, before upgrading to my 9900K, and you really shouldn't have any problems with CPU bottlenecking a 1660Ti (i had a Nvidia 970 with my 4690K) at 1080p, I never felt the CPU holding me back except in a few titles...

Are there any engines or games in particular that would LOL at this old CPU?

Frostbite powered games (Battlefield V, Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda) are the worst case scenario for 4 core CPU's, as they really require a 6 core CPU as a Minimum, preferably 8. I could never get a smooth experience in games using that engine, the CPU was just being killed with only 4 cores, stuttered all over the place. Battlefield 4 was the last Frostbite powered game in that series that ran well on a 4 Core CPU, I played hundreds of hours on that with my 970, buttery smooth all the way.

...and yet just released games like Control & many others, will run just as well on a 4690K as a 9900K because it's all about GPU in those games.

Last edited:

Knch

Can someone help me? I'm thinking of buying a new case. The FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE S2 RGB.

It has a fan controller in it but I'm not sure how it works. I get that it's powered by a SATA cable but it also says it goes into a USB header and i need to plug it into my CPU header. so how am i meant to power both my CPU fans and my 4 case fans?

does the fan controller go into the CPU header. my secondary CPU fan goes into CPU_Opt as usual. then i just plug my 4 case fans into the controller?

wouldn't that mean that all my fans would be controller by the temperature of my CPU?
The fan controller has a SATA connector for power and a PWM plug to connect to your motherboard.
You connect your CPU cooler to the CPU header(s) and the fan controller to any of the other PWM fan headers on your motherboard.

ZoneToo

Neo Member
Posted this on another pc build thread and got no love but i found this thread so i am trying again :)

Bought my gaming PC (pre-built smh) maybe mid-2016, spent around £900 -

Intel i7 4790k Quad Core @ 4.40GHz
GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
2TB Hard Drive (not SSD, no idea the brand)
Asus Z97

Now i have no idea what any of that means, all i know is that i want to upgrade and i want to know if it would be better to replace parts on my current or just build a new one from scratch. Going to get over my fear of getting inside the PC case and get busy.

Some info that might make it easier to help someone as clueless as myself -

I haven't really noticed my PC struggling with many games that i would play on it such as PUBG and i had GTA5 playing on my 4k TV with the stats maxxxxed out and only noticed slight frame drops that were fairy often but nothing that stopped me from playing. I am thinking about making a PC my main for this next gaming generation so i'd need future-proof to an extent and i'm aiming for a system that would handle Cyberpunk on max with relative ease because it seems that game is the reason for most people upgrading at the minute.

Budget isn't really an issue but not looking to sink a grip on this maybe between 1.2k-2k

Any help is much appreciated

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The cheapest and easiest option would be to move over to an SSD drive and upgrade your GPU, to a 2060/70 Super or 5700/XT and you'll be set for another 2yrs. Those two changes would transform your PC, The 4790K is still good enough for the vast majority of stuff being released and you could always overclock it by a few hundred more Mhz, most 4790K's will easily get a 4.7Ghz all core overclock. Your DDR3 RAM can also run faster, I'd be amazed if it didn't easily overclock to at least 1866/2133Mhz

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yea what he said above, for your budget.

You are in luck, z97 seems to support nvme ssd

Sabrent 2tb nvme ssd is about $350, probably cheaper in a few weeks during BF!

Evga rtx gpu i think are giving away COD with purchase now

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
You are in luck, z97 seems to support nvme ssd

It does, I know because I was running an Asus Hero Z97 with an NVMe drive, the only thing is it will not run at their full speed, they will max out at about 800Mb a sec because of lane bandwidth.

I had a 1Tb Crucial NVMe with a 2GB a second rating but never went above the 800Mb speeds I mentioned.

Still a huge speed increase over a mechanical HD though, which max out at about 180Mb a sec or the 550Mb a second of a 2.5in SATA based SSD.

Hayriko

After a long break from pc gaming (temporarily went for a gaming laptop). Im about to start building my pc from scratch. I was looking at a combination of ryzen 7 3700x + gtx 1660ti. How well will that do together? I'm not really tied to a budget but don't want to all the way with building. What I want to reach is 1440p with 144hz/fps on gaming and also to do some editing on it.

And it all has to fit in a small case!

You guys got some suggestions?

O-N-E

Hey guys, I haven't built a pc for like 12 years (though I changed some parts here and there).

Would any of you mind taking a look at a theoretical build I have and make any suggestions? Like, will this last me a long while without feeling dated? Any fatal flaws to the build?

Here it is.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hey guys, I haven't built a pc for like 12 years (though I changed some parts here and there).

Would any of you mind taking a look at a theoretical build I have and make any suggestions? Like, will this last me a long while without feeling dated? Any fatal flaws to the build?

Here it is.
What do you plan to use the PC for?
Any reason for the older ThreadRipper cpu over something newer like a 3900x or 3950x? (higher IPC, higher clocks, pci-e gen 4, better at gaming, etc...)

Last edited:

O-N-E

What do you plan to use the PC for?
Any reason for the older ThreadRipper cpu over something newer like a 3900x or 3950x? (higher IPC, higher clocks, pci-e gen 4, better at gaming, etc...)

Usage wise...pretty much everything. Extreme image editing software usage (like photoshop), 3D modeling software, gaming, a myriad of internet tabs, probably some heavy audio software like ableton, high-end video playback, etc.

As for the CPU, I really have no clue what to look for outside of cores and speed. I thought the 16 cores and 3.4 GHz was really good for the price. No idea what other qualities to look out for. I try not to mess with overclocking, though.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Usage wise...pretty much everything. Extreme image editing software usage (like photoshop), 3D modeling software, gaming, a myriad of internet tabs, probably some heavy audio software like ableton, high-end video playback, etc.

As for the CPU, I really have no clue what to look for outside of cores and speed. I thought the 16 cores and 3.4 GHz was really good for the price. No idea what other qualities to look out for. I try not to mess with overclocking, though.
I'd recommend going with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu instead (12-core 3900x is already out, 16-core 3950x will come out soon) and x570 motherboard, and then getting some 3200mhz RAM.

Last edited:

O-N-E

I'd recommend going with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu instead (12-core 3900x is already out, 16-core 3950x will come out soon) and x570 motherboard, and then getting some 3200mhz RAM.

Got it, and do you think some more needs to be done for the cooling aspect of the build?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Got it, and do you think some more needs to be done for the cooling aspect of the build?
I think the cooler is fine performance-wise but you'll no longer need the TR4 edition which has the larger block to fit the larger Thread Ripper cpus

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
A friend of mine has a 60hz 1440p monitor. Looking to upgrade. Wanta to play cyberpunk at max or near max.

Rtx 2080 or 2070 super will do it?

Last edited:
I’ve been teetering back and forth for months now. I just can’t decide what to do.

I want to upgrade my GPU, seeing how my 1080 ti gets destroyed by RDR2 at 1440p (my resolution of choice) has just made me more intent on it, I just don’t know what the best price-for-performance is.

based on what I’m seeing on Amazon, it looks like I can get a 5700xt for anywhere from 385-415 bucks. Or I can get a 2070 Super for 485-520 bucks.

which direction would you go? Thanks for any input

Ivellios

I’ve been teetering back and forth for months now. I just can’t decide what to do.

I want to upgrade my GPU, seeing how my 1080 ti gets destroyed by RDR2 at 1440p (my resolution of choice) has just made me more intent on it, I just don’t know what the best price-for-performance is.

based on what I’m seeing on Amazon, it looks like I can get a 5700xt for anywhere from 385-415 bucks. Or I can get a 2070 Super for 485-520 bucks.

which direction would you go? Thanks for any input

I may be wrong, but i think 5700 xt performes similar to the 1080ti.

2070 super offer somewhere between 5-10% increase in perfomance depending on the game.

In your particular case i would just wait until Ampere and RDNA2, as the only worth upgrade for your card is 2080ti.

Athreous

Guys, I'm trying to upgrade my old PC and I wanted to know your opinion about the upgrade... I'm trying to go as cheap as possible but to be able to play on Ultra or near that at 1080p
PS. I want to keep my GPU for now, since I'm not upgrading my monitor just yet, since it's a good Asus 144hz one :D
Here's my current setup:

i5 4690k not OC'ed
16gb ddr3 1666mhz
GTX 1070 (I want to keep this card)
MSI Z97 Gaming Mobo
120GB Corsair SSD from 2014 I think
2TB HDD Barracuda 7200 rpm

Here's what I'm thinking about getting in the next black friday:

Ryzen 5 3600 (or 3600x, since it's $25 difference in price here)
16gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair RGB (Ilike the lights :D)
480GB Samsung EVO SSD, but I can get the same Kingston SSD 400A size for half the price

And about the motherboard, I don't know if I should keep the budget or get a better one, so later I can upgrade my ryzen to a 7th or 9th one...

So please, can you help me with this new build?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
is 550W enough for an rtx 2070 and ryzen 9 3900x oc build?

With that combo you should be under 400W, so 550W should be fine.

I usually recommend spending a bit more on a PSU to give yourself future headroom. I dumped an extra $50 for a 1200W PSU, which has a 10 year warranty, will be future-proof beyond that 10 years, and will never be working at or near capacity. I've already used it through multiple setups and don't anticipate ever needing a new one in my lifetime, unless they do something like change connectors at which point I'll just throw everything in the trash and take up knitting.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
B lack Friday ads are starting to appear. Wal-Mart has a Lenovo laptop with a 1660ti for $800. I'm tempte d.

Leonidas

Here's what I'm thinking about getting in the next black friday:

Ryzen 5 3600 (or 3600x, since it's $25 difference in price here)
16gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair RGB (Ilike the lights :D)
480GB Samsung EVO SSD, but I can get the same Kingston SSD 400A size for half the price

And about the motherboard, I don't know if I should keep the budget or get a better one, so later I can upgrade my ryzen to a 7th or 9th one...

So please, can you help me with this new build?

Thank you so much!

It's fine, you could look into faster RAM speeds though as Ryzen does benefit from that, but if 3200-3600 cost a lot more in your region than 3000 then you should probably just stick with 3000 if you're on a budget.

A budget motherboard is all you need though. 3600 is a CPU that will last you years, by the time you need to upgrade again there will probably be at least 5000 series CPUs from AMD and maybe even 7nm Intel CPUs out both of which could make the higher end 3000 series CPUs look silly and each would likely require another full platform upgrade.

Last edited:
Those building a new PC, remember to get one with bluetooth.
Pairing with the creative outlier gold true wireless buds have been a revelation.
Now i can take a shit with them streaming my vast muisc library.
They are sound pretty good already.
They work as wireless mic too!

My mistake was buying a £300 mobo that didn't include bluetooth LOL

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
A friend of mine has a 60hz 1440p monitor. Looking to upgrade. Wanta to play cyberpunk at max or near max.

Rtx 2080 or 2070 super will do it?

Anyone have any guesses here? I know the system specs arent out but take a different example. Can a 2070 super with a new processor run Red Dead 2 at 1440p + 60 hz?

draliko

guys i need some suggestions, every once in a while (even if i don't play on pc as much as i used to do) i like to upgrade my pc because i love to get my hands dirty and in the end i love fiddling with hardware ;) The problem is i haven't followed the news in the last years and i'm a bit behind :) So let me explain my situation now and my builds :)
My build is now composed of a r5 1600 in a gigabyte mobo (b350 gaming 3), 16gb or ram (ripjaws f4-3200c16d-16gvkb), samsung ssd (250gb 850evo), corsair psu, gtx 1080 graphic card and a 4k monitor. The main use switched from gaming to video editing and vector illustration (that's why i moved to a 4k monitor from 1440p), but i still enjoy playing on it. Reading around seems like it's probably not the right time to upgrade any of this and simply wait for new ryzen and rdna2 or ampere, when i'll upgrade i'll move cpu and mobo to my media server (now it's running and old amd apu) and try to sell the graphic card, or simply sell everything and upgrade the media server with an am4 apu (i use it for plex and streaming to tvs in the home, max 2 1080p streams and 1 4k stream, avoiding transcoding as much as i can).
Considering the new conosole generation approaching i'm a bit on the fence about upgrading now, because i'm not really sure what kind of increase i could get without getting in the 1500€ field. Any suggestion? Is there a point in going r5 3600 and 5700xt (with new mobo?), is the 1080 still worth something on the used market?
Btw side question, any suggestion on how to hook up the pc to the tv ? pc is located in the studio, and tv in the living room.

Thanks all!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've noticed that the 2080 Ti and 2080 Super have been sold out on nvidia's website for a while now... is there any particular reason why other than strong demand? As long as the cards have been out (especially the Ti) I wouldn't think that stock would be an issue at this point.

longdi

Banned
Nvidia is lazy. They let their partners build and sell those GPU. I mean Nvidia branded GPU are pretty often the first run batch.

They may announce a new 7nm GPU this week or so, but the 3080Ti is at least 6-9 months off, depending on how AMD top end is.

Last edited:
I've noticed that the 2080 Ti and 2080 Super have been sold out on nvidia's website for a while now... is there any particular reason why other than strong demand? As long as the cards have been out (especially the Ti) I wouldn't think that stock would be an issue at this point.

guys i need some suggestions, every once in a while (even if i don't play on pc as much as i used to do) i like to upgrade my pc because i love to get my hands dirty and in the end i love fiddling with hardware ;) The problem is i haven't followed the news in the last years and i'm a bit behind :) So let me explain my situation now and my builds :)
My build is now composed of a r5 1600 in a gigabyte mobo (b350 gaming 3), 16gb or ram (ripjaws f4-3200c16d-16gvkb), samsung ssd (250gb 850evo), corsair psu, gtx 1080 graphic card and a 4k monitor. The main use switched from gaming to video editing and vector illustration (that's why i moved to a 4k monitor from 1440p), but i still enjoy playing on it. Reading around seems like it's probably not the right time to upgrade any of this and simply wait for new ryzen and rdna2 or ampere, when i'll upgrade i'll move cpu and mobo to my media server (now it's running and old amd apu) and try to sell the graphic card, or simply sell everything and upgrade the media server with an am4 apu (i use it for plex and streaming to tvs in the home, max 2 1080p streams and 1 4k stream, avoiding transcoding as much as i can).
Considering the new conosole generation approaching i'm a bit on the fence about upgrading now, because i'm not really sure what kind of increase i could get without getting in the 1500€ field. Any suggestion? Is there a point in going r5 3600 and 5700xt (with new mobo?), is the 1080 still worth something on the used market?
Btw side question, any suggestion on how to hook up the pc to the tv ? pc is located in the studio, and tv in the living room.

Thanks all!

It's never the right time to upgrade, the next best thing is always coming soon. I tend to upgrade when the bug hits but you might want to hold off a bit, at least until something goes on sale. The new cards could be anywhere from six months to a year or more away. I paid about the same for my 2080ti as I did for my previous card, which was a "great deal" with the current inflated pricing structure. While the current cards are overpriced, I don't know that they'll get any cheaper so if I were in your shoes, I'd at least keep my eyes peeled for a sale, or some sort of deal unless you think the next run will be soon, and cheaper. With the possible reported console strength and AMD possibly entering the higher-end market and making a stronger push into the market, the prices of everything might go down. It's a crapshoot.

For the side question, how close is the studio to the living room? Here's your excuse to route a signal cable through your walls.

HDMI pass-through plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom