• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need the help of a current gen Xbox owner who is a JRPG fan.

-Zelda-

Banned
I want to buy an Xbox in the future, but the last one I ever had was a 360, and everything else after that is unknown to me. I would like to know what the current state of Exclusive and Physical version JRPGS are like on that console and what those JRPGS are. Please do not suggest anything that is also on the PS5. Thank you.

Esca

HPQnFbQ.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Man, I had all of those on the 360 and really miss them.
Well they go on sale digitally. Not sure what they cost physical. Infinite Undiscovery doesn't go on sale.

Um also Enchanted Arms was on 360, not sure about PS3. It's delisted digitally so physical is the only way.

schaft0620

I want to buy an Xbox in the future, but the last one I ever had was a 360, and everything else after that is unknown to me. I would like to know what the current state of Exclusive and Physical version JRPGS are like on that console and what those JRPGS are. Please do not suggest anything that is also on the PS5. Thank you.
That is a tall order you are asking for, JRPGs on Xbox are few and far between. Physical JRPGs on Xbox are even more rare. Here is my guess.

Persona 5
Persona 3 Reloaded (next year)
Maybe Ni No Kuni 2
Maybe Sea of Stars from iAm8bit next year
Yakuza Like a Dragon
Dragon Quest 11
Tales of Arise
Scarlet Nexus (is this a JRPG?)

-Zelda-

Banned
JRPGs that’s aren’t also on PS5? errrrrrr

the 360 ones with the enhanced backwards compatibility is the only thing that comes to mind 🤷🏼‍♂️ (also the Series X is the best way to play FFXIII trilogy right now I believe)
Yeah I heard about that final fantasy 13 situation and it bothers me that they are not on PS5. I will definately look those up on Xbox if I ever get one.

If you don't want a PS5 then you should def consider getting a PC (or handheld like the Steam Deck). Also, a Switch if you care about physical JRPG releases as I do.

Last edited:
I have a ps5, I was just curious about any Xbox jrpg exclusives because I want one in the future.
Well other posters already said, there's not much of a selection, and if you already have a PS5 then get a Switch if you care about physical releases. Octopath Traveler, Live a Live, Triangle Strategy, etc. can only be found on Switch in physical format.

-Zelda-

Banned
Well other posters already said, there's not much of a selection, and if you already have a PS5 then get a Switch if you care about physical releases. Octopath Traveler, Live a Live, Triangle Strategy, etc. can only be found on Switch in physical format.
Yeah I have 4 of those. Two regular and Two Oled. I should prob slow down on switch consoles, lol.

GHG

I have a ps5, I was just curious about any Xbox jrpg exclusives because I want one in the future.

For current era JRPG's there aren't really any that aren't also available on the PS5 other than the first Octopath Traveller game.

If you also already happen to have a decent PC then the previous gen JRPG's all emulate very nicely via Xenia. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon work a treat.

-Zelda-

Banned
For current era JRPG's there aren't really any that aren't also available on the PS5 other than the first Octopath Traveller game.

If you also already happen to have a decent PC then the previous gen JRPG's all emulate very nicely via Xenia. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon work a treat.
Yeah, my computer sucks. The less I say about that, the better.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If everything after 360 is unknown to you I'll tell you something.

Do yourself a favor and get a PS5

Last edited:
I gave up on JRPG's on Xbox way back when Tales of Vesperia released on the 360, A few years later the F'n game released with more content on a Playstation.
That always left a burn in my memory.
I was hanging on a rope held by the entire Japanese gaming industry and they just let go and didn't even watch me fall.

RoboCain

I don't like JRPGs but I feel like grabbing the main ones since Enchanted Arms got delisted. Thank you for this thread.

Last edited:

wvnative

Lost Odyssey but other than that, if you want JRPGs get Switch or PS5, they don't really miss any. Xbox gets some, but misses quite a few.

LakeOf9

You want an Xbox as a JRPG a fan, and you only want JRPGs that aren’t already on PlayStation?

Yeah, good luck lol

Stamps1646

Sadly, when it comes to jRPG's, your going to have a limited options when it comes to the Xbox ecosystem.

Steam, Nintendo *Switch* and Sony *PS4 or PS5*(bc support) Is honestly your best bet when it comes to jRPG's, period.

Havoc2049

I'm an Xbox gamer that enjoys JRPGs and collects physical. For the the XB1/Series S/X gen, I don't think there are any exclusives, unless there is some small digital only indy ones, or something only released in Japan. Across all gens of Xbox there are probably less than 10 JRPG exclusives that have been released in the west and maybe another 10ish that were only released in Japan. The OG Xbox for example only had two released in the west, Black Stone Magic & Steel and Metal Dungeon. All the rest are on X360. New and used copies of Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey are still cheap on ebay if you want physical copies, and those you can just put the disc in the Series X and game away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom