• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I realised on Christmas Day that the new generation of kids have a very different relationship with games...

This type of behavior was partially responsible for a huge rift in my marriage and eventual divorce. Me making the decision to disconnect from social media entirely was a massive no-no for her and I wanted to bodyslam her every time she ruined another moment with "staging" it for her Instagram. She started fucking asking waiters to pose with food when we went to a restaurant and asinine stuff like that. I felt like I was living a shitty low-rent reality TV show that felt about as fake as that. Any sort of attempt to talk to her about this was met with her saying I'm trying to control her.

At this point this shit has become acceptable social behavior and it absolutely disgusts me. Narcissism, arrogance and self-indulgence used to be negative things.

PS: I've known junkies and alcoholics more willing to talk openly about their addictions because we all agree and actually know it's bad. This shit is so dystopian to me.
Well done on sticking to your ground. You didn't sign up for this. It's pathetic, so pathetic, what's wrong with her wanting to enjoy the moment with the man she married. Morons the lot of them

Its hilarious reading people talk about starting their 4 year old kids off with NES games and working their way up to modern games so they appreciate them correctly.

Guys... i think you're taking your toys a bit too seriously.
We want them to enjoy the wonders we did. you don't buy a ferrari for your first car you work your way up, learn to drive. Then appreciate the better car. I will not be told differently haha

dem

We want them to enjoy the wonders we did. you don't buy a ferrari for your first car you work your way up, learn to drive. Then appreciate the better car. I will not be told differently haha

It's their childhood... not yours.

A PS5 isn't a Ferrari. Its modern toy. That's it.

We're you forced to use a Tandy 3000 20 years after it was obsolete before you could use a real computer? Do you force your kids to watch Steamboat Willie before watching a Pixar movie? Like... what are we doing here?

Last edited:
It's their childhood... not yours.

A PS5 isn't a Ferrari. Its modern toy. That's it.

We're you forced to use a Tandy 3000 20 years after it was obsolete before you could use a real computer? Do you force your kids to watch Steamboat Willie before watching a Pixar movie? Like... what are we doing here?
We all know games are crap now. She will thank me for not letting her play in to the hands of the greedy share holders who don't know how to make a good game anymore.

dem

We all know games are crap now. She will thank me for not letting her play in to the hands of the greedy share holders who don't know how to make a good game anymore.

11-59a0277d5a48a__880.jpg

"And I told them, we don't do it for the money. We do it for the art! :messenger_grinning_squinting: "

Last edited:

Aesius

Its hilarious reading people talk about starting their 4 year old kids off with NES games and working their way up to modern games so they appreciate them correctly.

Guys... i think you're taking your toys a bit too seriously.
I'll admit it sounds ridiculous. But it's literally the only way/chance for kids now to ever enjoy traditional gaming. Once they get hooked on Minecraft/Roblox/whatever mobile garbage that's popular in 2024 and beyond, that's it. There's almost no chance you'll ever get them to enjoy a traditional single-player game.

Of course, that brings into question whether it's remotely worthwhile to curate your child's gaming experiences for them. But again, if you don't at least attempt it, the chance is forever lost.

I know that I would love to play through a couple of games from my childhood with my kids. If they're not into it, they're not into it, and that's fine. But I can't bust out my SNES Classic and fire up LttP and make it look remotely interesting when they're 10 and are obsessed with Roblox because all of their friends from school play every day.

It’s. It windows 95 or 98 anymore.
You don’t learn anything on pc.
Kids don’t go learning dos commands, manually installing drivers and reinstalling windows 95 with boot diskette. They don’t write code.
And old time piracy really helped to learn tweaks and fixes.

Win11 pcs are just Roblox or Fortnite launchers. And god forbid any of them kids ever ventured into options menu. It’s like another language.
And piracy is almost gone

Yea everyone uses windows 11 PCs. So the kids can learn the OS and how it works. They will eventually have issues and it will require TSing and they can do it themselves or learn how to do it. Which will give them a lead in basic help desk support.

Also if you build the PC with them they can learn all the parts and how it fits together. Eventually hardware upgrades will need to be done and they can see what they need with research and do it themselves. It's not just about what OS you are using. My nephew has been PC gaming and now he's interested in IT after hearing about my job and what I do. You're underestimating the amount of knowledge that can be picked up from years of PC gaming. You start a kid PC gaming at 10 and by 20 he will learn a good amount of stuff.

PaintTinJr

The thing you're missing in this is that these kids use these games as a social platform to engage with their friends. They prefer this socialization over single player games. The simple graphics in Minecraft and Roblox allow them to be hyper accessible from many devices so the likelihood of these kids hooking up with IRL friends to play is better. I know, because my 7th grader is like this. Once in a while he'll play an undertale, Naruto, DBZ or something else in the zeitgeist but Roblox and Fortnite are their go-to's.
As someone that was very popular in my school/uni days and didn't need to conform at all other than excessive drunken nights out, I would say you have it back to front. They feel compelled to these platforms to conform, when most of them outside the core that can do as they please without any loss of social stature, have no choice but to be enslaved to the social media do or die system that kids have to survive in today. Most kids just want to find themselves enjoying things without any pressure, and any peer-pressure socializing it hyper-pressurized IMO.

Leaders lead, sheep follow IMHO. and they are all sheep in these games with the mega corps being the leaders.

Simpsons memes coming in 3, 2, 1…
Maybe so, but it also means gaming is fucked. The industry will crash without customers. Us old heads will play our backlogs and no new games will come out except for gaas monstrosities for the young kids whose parents didn't parent right.

My son went through a roblox, gary's mod, fortnite phase, also a cod phase. Thing is I got him psps and ds as a kid. He played pokemon, and other games. He even finished God of war , need 4 speed payback, the crew before I even touched them. These parents must not be gamers and don't show the kids how gaming progressed and what makes a fun game. Also it takes someone getting them invested into said properties. Otherwise they will just do what ops nephew did and use it as a popularity contest.

I could care less if I am a "get off my yard" middle aged 40 something... we are still cool, not like the cucky simps at rere-era/reddit and the children who only play f2p shyte.

My nephew is not only playing Minecraft but most of his Lego are Minecraft lol.
Tbh Minecraft was awesome when I played it a bit 10 years ago. Rain, night, water dripping from ceiling of my mountain carved home. It’s a vibe.
But they play it for other reasons. Not immersion and atmosphere
It just seems like a pure skinnerbox way to kill time, think about the preciousness of childhood and how much of it is being wasted on it, I feel bad enough sometimes how how much of mine was spent in front of the TV.

I do worry the long term impact it'll have on these kids.

Minecraft is the ultimate sandbox. It's about creativity, it's ironic that Lego went from having a big box of random pieces and using your imagination to branded millennium falcon stuff - while Minecraft is essentially virtual lego in the original style. My kids hadn't played in a long time and then saw one youtube video and were off building a massive rollercoaster together with underwater sections and all kinds of crazy shit. Then my son (12) set-up a minecraft server on his raspberry pi. There is no way I think they would be better off playing some single player sub par story based game.
There might be creativity involved, but there's no memorable characters, stories, quotes or lore for them to chew on in the future, it's all ephemeral stuff that will be mostly be forgotten, meanwhile I can recall with vivid clarity the impact Metal Gear Solid had on me, that's the kinda stuff that's gonna stick with you for life, Minecraft kids are not going to have that much ("Hey, remember that time I... chopped wood for the millionth time?")

Storytelling is a very primal, pure aspect of being human, what's the story with Minecraft?

I'm not saying there will be NO memorable experiences that will stick with kids of the game, but I am saying it doesn't compare to way the drama of a good story sticks with you.

My 11-year old nephew has a Switch and XBox with several games. He played through Mario Odyssey, but after completing it, he's never touched it again. Just plays games on his phone. The only console game he wants to play is GTA V, which his parents obviously will not allow him to get.

On the other hand, my 3-year old son is obsessed with Just Cause 4 (he calls it "Juego de Fuego") and has been playing it pretty much daily for the past month or so.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, but that goes for singleplayer games as well.
And you only really need 1 or 2 that fill your needs.

Single player games don't need to last 3-4 years to be considered a success to these companies. Live Service games do.

It's the fast-foodization of gaming, just like every other aspect of younger lives today. Instant gratification, no depth, no real connection to the triumph of a challenge earned through sweat.

Also, he's a casual like most.
In a world where Elden Ring and Zelda sell 25+ million copies at $60 each and BG3 breaks out like it has, I think it’ll be ok 😉. Kids who play Fortnite will one day maybe graduate to the high-level games.

Top Bottom