• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck convinced me that I‘ll be switching to PC

Let me begin by stating that I‘ve been a console gamer throughout my entire life. My first contact with games was on the original gameboy, followed by gameboy pocket. Sure, my dad had some experimental DOS games on his computer back in the days of Windows 95, but nothing that really hooked me to the desk. It was in summer of 97 when I borrowed a Nintendo 64 with OoT and Mario64 from a friend who happened to have it twice (richkid…). Soon after our parents decided to gift us one for christmas with the same games, Mario and Zelda OoT, and my brother and me became instantly addicted to it.

It was followed by a Playstation one, followed by Gamecube which I bought from my own money. PS2, Xbox360, PS3, Wii, Gameboy Advance, DS, PSP, PS4, Switch, XSX and PS5, I had almost every console and lost many many hours in the hobby. But I’ve not once looked over to PC gaming and certainly never missed something. After all, the great exclusive games are always on consoles and chilling on the couch with a controller in my hands in front of a huge OLED in a tiny one room apartment, that’s what gaming is. Or so I thought.

The older I get, the more money and less time I have, but I still manage to play a few hours every week, after all it‘s a passion even though I rarely finish the games I buy.

Earlier this year I bought a Steam Deck which changed a few of my beliefs. Suddenly, PC games are comfortable with the Deck on the Couch. And I can stream my PS5 games on it. And I can play all the available games on Xbox Cloud gaming. And I can play almost all of my classic games on it through emulation. It just plays everything. And I have games on it, which are horribly to play on consoles, but there‘s always a workaround available on the Deck (for example just connect a mouse/keyboard to it to play strategy games or connect the Steam Deck with the TV if you want to play on a big screen or if the Decks graphics aren‘t enough, subscribe to geforce now and you‘ll have better graphics than on modern consoles). The Steam Deck made it very easy to be introduced to modern PC gaming.

Meanwhile, consoles are not the easy to go solution for my gaming needs anymore. The fact that both consoles, PS5 and XSX are basically always online DRM machines, a decision for which XBox One was lynched a few years ago, doesn‘t bother me. It‘s day 1 patches, games that are unplayable if you don‘t have a day one patch (looking at you CoD!!!), constant updates, half finished games, the obligatory accounts that you need for almost all publishers if you want to play their games (ubisoft, ea, epic, bethesda, all of them require to have an account for their games), the installation process if you buy a game on disc et cetera. And then there‘s graphic settings for every game today. Top that off with way worse graphics compared to a PC, after just 3 years of the current gen being on the market and there‘s not much left of what once was a big benefit of consoles.

All of that happened while PC became more user friendly. Most games these days already offer controller support on release date. With Steam it‘s super easy to install games. And it‘s not even that difficult anymore to build a gaming PC because configurators tell you which parts of a PC are compatible. Oh and I forgot, exclusive games aren‘t really exclusive anymore, thanks to Sony.

It seems like consoles lost all their benefits, while PC gaming lost all disadvantages. Even when we compare the costs, with an XSX, PS5 (two already, the first one was noisy) and three switches I already bought (lite, normal one and OLED), with controllers, SSD upgrades, cables, the higher price of games, the online subscriptions, accessories like a loading station for both PS5 controllers etc. Everything accumulated I could‘ve also bought a really nice PC gaming setup with a gtx4090, connect it to the huge TV and be able to play everything with just one box. That‘s why I think

tl;dr, console gaming got worse over the past few years, PC gaming improved over the past few years, that’s why I‘ll be switching sides.

PC platform is not perfect, but it definitely offers a multitude of options over other offerings.

Obligatory: WELCOME TO THE GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE! (joking)

pc-master-race.jpg

Last edited:
They all have their place. I'm glad you chose the one that best suits you.
It‘s funny, I had the discussion with my brother recently, who, for the most part of his life, was a PC gamer through and through (mostly command and conquer, counterstrike, world of warcraft for almost a decade). Two years ago he switched to PS5/switch and can‘t be bothered with PC gaming anymore. His arguments are exactly the same I had a few years ago against PC games. Different strokes for different folks I guess. This thread was not meant to be a discussion of what‘s the better solution for everyone, rather that consoles and PC gaming got closer together over the past few years and today there‘s not really a good argument for either decision.

simpatico

It's the library man. And in 5 years, all the games you own now will play like HD remakes. Hard to justify building a library on consoles with no guarantee of backwards compatibility. I've got tons of games that I struggled to run well when they were new and going back to them and maxing it at 500fps always brings a smirk.

bender

What time is it?
Some of the more cumbersome aspects of the Deck have me excited about the PSP. My use case isn’t travel, just multitasking with my TV.

Topher

Gold Member
Which is better... Steam deck or asus rog?

Rog

Edit:

Should have fleshed that opinion out a bit.

I owned Steam Deck for a while, but sold it and eventually got the Rog Ally. The reasons I prefer Rog...

1) Size. Steam Deck is a little too big despite having the same size screen.
2) Power. Rog is definitely a step up from Steam Deck. But you do sacrifice some battery life
3) Windows. I see a lot of folks talking about support for the Steam deck but a Windows device is going to get all the support it will ever need. Windows is also a consideration if the handheld will double as a desktop PC as it does for me.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Asus will be stronger, but the Deck will have more/better support. With most potential adopters already having a Deck, most developers and suppoted programs will be designed with it in mind.

The Deck was not the first handheld shaped PC out there, but it's the one with the most thought behind it.
The screen is just 720p, but most tech guys I spoke to clarified that for a handheld anything bigger will just eat resources and up the price with minimal to show for. The controller has everything one might need to emulate evey console up to the 7th gen and the switch, including trackpads, touchscreen, gyroscope, and extra buttons for Utility.
It's also being sold at a loss, something Valve would do as they know it'll be used mostly for Steam despite being an open platform. I can't see competitors making one without profit, unless they lock it to their products or something.
My biggest nitpicks (because I can't live without those) are it's lack of a USB port on the bottom to make docking easier. The requirement for a short and very hight quality HDMI cable to connect it to a screen without issues. The controller it self being to dark to see certain buttons in a dark room. And finally the charger is very expensive. I thought that Value was taking the piss when they announced the docking station at 100€, but then I found out how much the charger individually costs.

I'd go for the Steam Deck, it'll have better support down the line I imagine. But there is definitely a use case for the Ally if you want a windows device.

Also worth mentioning that the suspend resume feature works well on the Steam Deck which is a huge selling point for me as I can pick it up and put it down for very quick sessions. Not sure how that works on a windows based device.

Last edited:
Smart move, you don't need Xbox or PlayStation anymore. Just a Pc and if you like it a Nintendo console.
As far as Nintendo goes, I doubt they‘ll improve what we currently have with the next iteration of console. As much as I‘m a Nintendo kid deep down inside, with an everlasting love for their IPs, they just fuck up every other generation. But yeah, with a good PC Xbox and Playstation become obsolete (and IF they‘ll release another console is up for another debate, economically they would be better off completely switching to streaming services and not sell hardware with a loss).

Last edited:

whyman

I stopped using my gaming pc and went to GeForce Now on MacBook Air, Steam Deck. Best gaming experience ever for about the same price.

Midn1ght

Had a great honey moon period with my Steam Deck but it has been collecting dust for a while now.

It's a fantastic device but I think I just don't like playing on a small screen. Had the exact same feeling every time I tried the switch.

Read Book Club GIF

It's fine for certain game but for others with a lot of text and HUD elements, it's just not comfortable for me and prefer a bigger screen. Still a great product tho, with cloud saving jumping from your desktop to your Steam Deck is super smooth.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
OP you ain’t the first and you won’t be the last. There are already many console gamers expressing regrets that they didn’t start PC gaming earlier after they tried gaming on the Steam Deck.

Steam + emulation means you have access to many generations of console gaming, retro games and the latest games on the Steam Deck.

From the classic Parasite Eve or Silent Hill to original Mario Bros, to Returnal and Sea of Thieves or God of War, 3DS games, PSP, whatever. And the numerous PC-only games not released on consoles.

And you can play in bed or a large tv. Doesn’t matter.

ev7s71mk36c81.jpg

Last edited:
OP you ain’t the first and you won’t be the last. There are already many console gamers expressing regrets that they didn’t start PC gaming earlier after they tried gaming on the Steam Deck.

Steam + emulation means you have access to many generations of console gaming, retro games and the latest games on the Steam Deck.

From the classic Parasite Eve or Silent Hill to original Mario Bros, to Returnal and Sea of Thieves or God of War, 3DS games, PSP, whatever. And the numerous PC-only games not released on consoles.

And you can play in bed or a large tv. Doesn’t matter.

ev7s71mk36c81.jpg
Emulation on it is so good. I grabbe EmuDeck and played through MGS1 via DuckStation which was awesome. It's not too bad to setup either if you follow a YouTube guide.

Beechos

It‘s funny, I had the discussion with my brother recently, who, for the most part of his life, was a PC gamer through and through (mostly command and conquer, counterstrike, world of warcraft for almost a decade). Two years ago he switched to PS5/switch and can‘t be bothered with PC gaming anymore. His arguments are exactly the same I had a few years ago against PC games. Different strokes for different folks I guess. This thread was not meant to be a discussion of what‘s the better solution for everyone, rather that consoles and PC gaming got closer together over the past few years and today there‘s not really a good argument for either decision.
I'm prob just like your brother was pc all the way until the ps4/xbox one era. You are right though, the lines are being blurred more and more. Pc are getting more console like and consoles are getting more pc like. Microsoft seems to be betting on this where xbox will just be a launcher of sorts to run you games on any platform.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I tried 7 days to die on the Xbox series, it's a bit crap, but it looked okay. Upon realising I had it on Steam too (Can't even remember buying it) I wondered if it would play on the Deck. It's Deck verified...

A better playing version of 7 days to die, portable. I love the machine.

Viva la Deck!

I'm probly going to make the move as well. I actually bought Talos Principal 2 on PC instead of consoles. I wish I had bought Alan Wake 2, but my PC would not have been able to play it, (1080ti).
A PC upgrade is long overdue. Hopefully I've set aside enough money to make it happen, I know it's going to be expensive.

Yeah steamdeck is amazing. Im playing a 2006 game on the deck. And when I want to game modern, I just remote play from my ps5. The seemlessness with which I can do this is impressive.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It was in summer of 97 when I borrowed a Nintendo 64 with OoT and Mario64 from a friend who happened to have it twice (richkid…).
So rich that he had a time machine to travel forward in time to the holidays of 1998 to get OOT when it came out ~18 months after he lent it to you.

It was probably summer of 99, OP.

Last edited:

isual

I have 2 steam decks. The OG 512gb and the limited edition 1tb edition.

Use the former for playing halo infinite and I use the latter for ps1, ps2 and ps3 games. Man, it is a game change playing these games on handheld and being able to play anywhere.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have 2 steam decks. The OG 512gb and the limited edition 1tb edition.

Use the former for playing halo infinite and I use the latter for ps1, ps2 and ps3 games. Man, it is a game change playing these games on handheld and being able to play anywhere.

This is one of the reasons Sony ended up making the PS Portal. But the OP sounds like a guy that will be buying a new GPU every other year lol.

JCK75

It seems like PC is taking over the world lately.. this year specifically my son asked for a new gaming PC, My girlfriend's kids both went in gaming PCs, I saw the Christmas photos from all my cousins and their kids all want to gaming PCs... I love to see it but it kind of took me by surprise

Dazraell

I frequently move around between two places, so Steam Deck is a really great thing, which siginificantly helped me with consistently finishing more games. There are some backlog games I always wanted to play or replay and so far I have a blast with it

isual

This is one of the reasons Sony ended up making the PS Portal. But the OP sounds like a guy that will be buying a new GPU every other year lol.
yeah, but the PS portal is completely lacking; it is just a portable image display copier that runs on wifi. nothing is stored local, so you can't really play if you're on a bus, plane, or just waiting for something in a lobby or car.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

yeah, but the PS portal is completely lacking; it is just a portable image display copier that runs on wifi. nothing is stored local, so you can't really play if you're on a bus, plane, or just waiting for something in a lobby or car.

True......but it gives some people the ability to play their games away from the TV at home and outside the home but with caveats. Like you said bus or plane. But you can play it in a lobby or in a car (as long as the car isn't moving lol). I do it every day actually. Just connect it to your 5G connection on your phone and your good.

It gives you 60% of what the Steamdeck gives you, so PS5 owners don't have to feel too left out.

Last edited:
Let me begin by stating that I‘ve been a console gamer throughout my entire life. My first contact with games was on the original gameboy, followed by gameboy pocket. Sure, my dad had some experimental DOS games on his computer back in the days of Windows 95, but nothing that really hooked me to the desk. It was in summer of 97 when I borrowed a Nintendo 64 with OoT and Mario64 from a friend who happened to have it twice (richkid…). Soon after our parents decided to gift us one for christmas with the same games, Mario and Zelda OoT, and my brother and me became instantly addicted to it.

It was followed by a Playstation one, followed by Gamecube which I bought from my own money. PS2, Xbox360, PS3, Wii, Gameboy Advance, DS, PSP, PS4, Switch, XSX and PS5, I had almost every console and lost many many hours in the hobby. But I’ve not once looked over to PC gaming and certainly never missed something. After all, the great exclusive games are always on consoles and chilling on the couch with a controller in my hands in front of a huge OLED in a tiny one room apartment, that’s what gaming is. Or so I thought.

The older I get, the more money and less time I have, but I still manage to play a few hours every week, after all it‘s a passion even though I rarely finish the games I buy.

Earlier this year I bought a Steam Deck which changed a few of my beliefs. Suddenly, PC games are comfortable with the Deck on the Couch. And I can stream my PS5 games on it. And I can play all the available games on Xbox Cloud gaming. And I can play almost all of my classic games on it through emulation. It just plays everything. And I have games on it, which are horribly to play on consoles, but there‘s always a workaround available on the Deck (for example just connect a mouse/keyboard to it to play strategy games or connect the Steam Deck with the TV if you want to play on a big screen or if the Decks graphics aren‘t enough, subscribe to geforce now and you‘ll have better graphics than on modern consoles). The Steam Deck made it very easy to be introduced to modern PC gaming.

Meanwhile, consoles are not the easy to go solution for my gaming needs anymore. The fact that both consoles, PS5 and XSX are basically always online DRM machines, a decision for which XBox One was lynched a few years ago, doesn‘t bother me. It‘s day 1 patches, games that are unplayable if you don‘t have a day one patch (looking at you CoD!!!), constant updates, half finished games, the obligatory accounts that you need for almost all publishers if you want to play their games (ubisoft, ea, epic, bethesda, all of them require to have an account for their games), the installation process if you buy a game on disc et cetera. And then there‘s graphic settings for every game today. Top that off with way worse graphics compared to a PC, after just 3 years of the current gen being on the market and there‘s not much left of what once was a big benefit of consoles.

All of that happened while PC became more user friendly. Most games these days already offer controller support on release date. With Steam it‘s super easy to install games. And it‘s not even that difficult anymore to build a gaming PC because configurators tell you which parts of a PC are compatible. Oh and I forgot, exclusive games aren‘t really exclusive anymore, thanks to Sony.

It seems like consoles lost all their benefits, while PC gaming lost all disadvantages. Even when we compare the costs, with an XSX, PS5 (two already, the first one was noisy) and three switches I already bought (lite, normal one and OLED), with controllers, SSD upgrades, cables, the higher price of games, the online subscriptions, accessories like a loading station for both PS5 controllers etc. Everything accumulated I could‘ve also bought a really nice PC gaming setup with a gtx4090, connect it to the huge TV and be able to play everything with just one box. That‘s why I think

tl;dr, console gaming got worse over the past few years, PC gaming improved over the past few years, that’s why I‘ll be switching sides.
The best thing about PC is that it's a pro consumer platform specially compared to consoles. It is the platform where consumers have the most power and freedom. Because PC is an open platform it has the cheapest prices and is free from much of the anti consumer prices of consoles like charging for online gaming, bannin/censoring games and charging for cloud saves. All of that is free and better on PC. Your digital library is also safest on PC and even if the unthinkable happens and your library is taken from you, players can simply get all that back thanks to DRM free games and piracy.

Consoles are only becoming more anticonsumer as customers get locked into digital libraries in their specific platform. Soon physical games will be phased out and console companies will have a complete monopoly of digital sales, they already charge more than PC WITH the price competition of physical games. Imagine once they have absolute control. The only safe place to build your game library on is PC thanks to it's numerous safeguards and even if those are broken there's still DRM free games and piracy to cover you.

Good luck. I've gone back and forth and there are some not so positive things about PC gaming as well. Overall I decided to just stick with my PS5. The last straw for me was when I spent 20-25 mins trying to TS my Xbox controller disconnecting. When it happened to my son again a month or two later it only reassured me I made the right choice in leaving the PC system behind. Maybe you wont have as many issues though.

Del_X

Having your library exist in perpetuity and being either to emulate or run a VM or whatever other compatibility tricks needed to keep it BC is nice.

Not being told to pay $100+ annual recurring subscription to access basic features is also nice.

Moses85

See Ya Adele GIF by E!

RGB'D

Be careful... if you talk too highly of PC, you might get a console warring warning... which is hilarious in its own right. But jokes aside, yep PC is fantastic and so glad that the market is trending this way. Most innovation in video games is in the PC space

There's people that leave console gaming for mobile gaming. So yea different strokes and all that.

I'm probly going to make the move as well. I actually bought Talos Principal 2 on PC instead of consoles. I wish I had bought Alan Wake 2, but my PC would not have been able to play it, (1080ti).
A PC upgrade is long overdue. Hopefully I've set aside enough money to make it happen, I know it's going to be expensive.
For Alan Wake 2 you just need Mesh Shaders which Turing supported in 2018 (1 year after your 1080ti launched) and RDNA2 supported in 2020. A 2070 Super sells I'm the $190 range used on eBay and the RX 6600 sells in that price brand new so it's not really a price issue.

But since you have a 1080ti I imagine you want a really big upgrade which can cost more cash, a 4070 is probably the minimum I imagine which is around $550 now but I'd wait till the 40 Super series launches in a month or 2.

Chiggs

I'm returning my ROG Ally to Best Buy tomorrow morning. There's definitely some things to like about the Ally, but the battery life is a complete joke (we're talking about an hour and a half for any modern "AAA" title) and the device is bricking SD cards, so if you were thinking about popping in a dedicated card for Retroarch or something, better think twice.

Be careful... if you talk too highly of PC, you might get a console warring warning... which is hilarious in its own right. But jokes aside, yep PC is fantastic and so glad that the market is trending this way. Most innovation in video games is in the PC space

Eh, he's more likely to arrive at the "honeymoon's over" stage of the relationship, where he realizes PC gaming is full of its own obnoxious issues that only a complete zealot would dismiss as being "trivial."

Last edited:

Quasicat

I hear you. I was a bit on both in the 90s/00s, but my job (as a middle school teacher) quickly transitioned from pen and paper to almost entirely digital. The last thing I wanted to do after spending all day at my desk was to come home and sit all night at my desk. Now that PCs come with hdmi out ports, it’s easy to connect it to a big screen TV and play with a controller.

MiguelItUp

Happy for you OP! Finding your new favorite or preferred platform can be pretty exciting. Especially if it feels THAT right. I grew up with consoles but the older I've gotten PCs just make more sense for me and the type of games I enjoy playing. But it's always nice to have options.

Why would you buy a new GPU every new year. A new uArch launches every 2 years and even then with the winding down of Moore's law were not getting the gains we used to get on new hw even on consoles. I expect people to go "that's it?" when they see what the PS5 Pro can do.. or balk at its price.

Chiggs

I hear you. I was a bit on both in the 90s/00s, but my job (as a middle school teacher) quickly transitioned from pen and paper to almost entirely digital. The last thing I wanted to do after spending all day at my desk was to come home and sit all night at my desk. Now that PCs come with hdmi out ports, it’s easy to connect it to a big screen TV and play with a controller.

You've described my situation. I spend all day pumping out scripts and videos at work, and I am sure as hell not coming home to sit back down at another computer.

David B

An Idiot
I realized PC gaming is just pure crap within the last 6 months. I get horrible frame rate on Call of Duty games on PC no matter the graphics card. I've used 3060, 3060 Ti, 3080, and heck even a 3090! Yet the frame rate was always 50 to 70. I put it on low settings, 1080p, 2d anti aliasing, and still low frame rate. That's when I realized I don't give a crap about frame rate. Now yes I notice frame rate on PS4 vs PS5 though. I really notice the frame rate difference in Call of Duty games of course. As I play Black Ops Cold War on PS4 and PS5. I usually get 1 to 10 kills on PS4, but 10 to 20 on PS5. I was using better performance mode, which is more frame rate of course. So it has been better for me. But PC is more of a headache than consoles. Here's my list of why to never ever buy a gaming PC ever again!!! #1. Not all PC games support controller! MW3 and BO2 not in the menus, plus tons of games don't support controller. I have to use a controller, I tried KB and M tons of times, I absolutely suck at it and can't get used to it. #2. All PC games I own/have I already own on consoles! #3. In multiplayer games on PC, everyone is using a KB and M, so it's not fair as I only like controller! #4. Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo. One store on console per console. PC you got Steam, Battle.net, EA, Bungie, GOG, Origin. What a headache! Lastly there is this! Consoles 100% controller support! PC only 50% controller support as there still is millions of games that only work with KB and M.

DavidGzz

So OP mentions a number of reasons why consoles are not easy to play on by listing a number of reasons that also apply to PC…

The difference is that PC makes those issues way more palatable because it can do so much more. Mods, Indy games that will never come to console, mouse and keyboard support, simpler internet browsing, simpler in game chat, and now Steam Deck allows you to take your library on the go. Did I mention mods? God I love mods.

mckmas8808

Why would you buy a new GPU every new year. A new uArch launches every 2 years and even then with the winding down of Moore's law were not getting the gains we used to get on new hw even on consoles. I expect people to go "that's it?" when they see what the PS5 Pro can do.. or balk at its price.

No every other year. Not every year.

Top Bottom