• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really like what Square does with FF16`'s marketing

TheAssist

First of: This is not about whether you like the game or not. its especially not about its combat System. It's also not about whether you like or hate Square Enix and what they are doing with the FF franchise, there is plenty of other threads where you can tell people how much you love or hate any of these things. This is about gaming marketing campaigns. Thank you!

So if you havent lived under a rock for the past 3 or so years, you probably know that FF16 is coming out this month.
Like seriously, even if you never played a JRPG or a Final Fantasy for that matter, even if you are completely uninvolved regarding the whole RPG bubble, you probably know this game is coming out and you may even know some things about the game. Like for example what combat system it uses, what the setting is like, you may have seen some of the set piece moments and seeing how you are in this thread, you have probably seen countless FF16 discussion threads on here. Maybe the social media of your choice has given you some FF16 related content simply because they know you are in the general gaming bubble.

The marketing for this game is huuuuge. Starting with a very early work in progress trailer, dozens and dozens of developer updates for the interested, lots of social media buzz, appearing's on almost every major gaming event like the game awards, or Sonys events. A long state of play, several LIVE events with an audience (including the 5(!!!)) hour livestream thats currently on the background while I'm writing this), now even a live action trailer and commercials.
This feels big in a way like I havent experienced in a while and the reason I say this is because not too long ago I read a thread on here about how video game releases have become kinda boring. There is no midnight releases anymore since digital publishing has pretty much overtaken physical. A lot of companies have scaled down their advertisement budgets. It's mostly blog posts and some trailers leading up to the release and a Twitter message here and there.

Not E3, no big booths, no large real live events, hardly any non gaming media coverage. Games just come out without a lot of buzz. I'm not saying that there isnt any marketing, but more that its very evenly spread among most AAA titles. A God of War Ragnarok doesnt generate more media or events that any other AAA game from any other publisher. There isnt anything I remember from its marketing campaign. It dropped a few trailers at some Sony livestreams and it was out. Remember when they had a whole live orchestra and an epic reveal in front of a live audience that went completely nuts over it? Good times. Remember the release of World of Warcraft? Or Halo 3? I never played a Halo game and I knew way too much about this game because it was impossible too escape it at the time.

That's the thing. These big events were a major part of mainstream gaming culture and they've gone away rather quickly.
And now Square of all people comes along, balls out, and tells people, you know what we're doing? We are doing a Final Fantasy and we are going BIG. They exude confidence with this title. Heck, the game has been pretty much finished for a year now and they have been polishing it all the way up to now. This feels like they are damn proud of this game, they want as many people as possible to know about this. It doesnt feel like a cash grab, or a quickly pushed out release to make the fiscal year. Everything they have shown about this just shows that they are super proud of this, that this is a huge deal for them as a company but at the same time it does not feel corporate. Yoshi P and his team have been so honest, so down to earth, so connected to the playerbase, its something I have not seen from a AAA developer in a long time. Its a great marketing mix that speaks to the masses, those who have never played a FF game before, but also to the long time fans who've been with the franchise for decades. They talk about all the concerns and take player feedback seriously and try to make people understand why the made the decisions they made.

I think every publisher should have at least one game that they are proud of and that they treat a little bit more special. That simply feels huge and important to gaming culture as a whole. Whether that is a FF, a Halo (remember that bees ARG?), Pokemon or a GTA. Make gaming marketing campaigns great again. But also, don't be a dick about it. Keep humble and connected to your fans at the same time. Its a very fine line and I think whoever is in charge of FF16's marketing is doing a very fine job atm.

So what the greatest marketing campaigns in the last few decades that you can remember and do you agree that Square is doing a good job right now when it comes to how they handle that aspect of FF16?

EDIT: They just dropped a 2hr+ DEMO that lets you carry over your progress to the main game. In a single player game. Like seriously, a demo to a big AAA game release. Last I remember was FF7R.

final-fantasy-16-xvi_jpg_1600x900_crop_q85.jpg

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I don't think they're exuding confidence. Confidence is not putting out a new trailer every other week.

They're really trying to capitalize on the goodwill they've built up in FF14 with Yoshida at the helm, and it hasn't translated entirely. We know that pre-orders are low, and before that we could see that the interest in the game was muted. Because the people who pay attention to MMOs are not the same as the people who are looking for a mainline FF, or single-player titles in general. You said this isn't about combat or gow the game looks, and I'll respect that, but I will say that the game itself hasn't compensated for whatever gap in interest people would naturally have with an MMO team developing a single player game. At least, not before launch.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So far best marketed FF in history also no awkward moments like the hentai love between Toriyama and Lightning nor that mess of a lie FFXV has been up till release or even ff7 remake complete overhaul after moving team ect

I’m proud of being a Ff fan today!

I'm taking a leap of faith on this one. Haven't liked FF since XII, but for some reason I feel good about this one, even if it's not the direction (combat wise/party wise/etc) I'd like to see the series go.

I'm not sure why. It wasn't marketing, I just knew I wanted to get this one. It was the primary push for me to finally get a Ps5 after a long time of putting it off. I hope my feelings aren't misplaced - I'll find out pretty quickly with the demo soon.

ToadMan

They’re clearly proud of this game and their enthusiasm is infectious.

After the gameplay segment of the live stream I started to get Elden Ring vibes. Not so much the combat - although it’s clearly a move away from RPG - as much as the atmosphere of the environment.

Let’s see how the demo feels, but I think it should lead to a nice preorder bump if it plays as well as it looks.

killatopak

I saw the dev beat the hard mode of a boss fight no damage and like 15 levels down. I really like it when devs KNOW how it feels to play their own game.

TheAssist

I don't think they're exuding confidence. Confidence is not putting out a new trailer every other week.

They're really trying to capitalize on the goodwill they've built up in FF14 with Yoshida at the helm, and it hasn't translated entirely. We know that pre-orders are low, and before that we could see that the interest in the game was muted. Because the people who pay attention to MMOs are not the same as the people who are looking for a mainline FF, or single-player titles in general. You said this isn't about combat or gow the game looks, and I'll respect that, but I will say that the game itself hasn't compensated for whatever gap in interest people would naturally have with an MMO team developing a single player game. At least, not before launch.

I dont think the number of trailers has anything to do with the preorder numbers, since the marketing strategy is planned months in advance to preorders even being available.
Also, I dont think the mainstream gaming audience knows that they are the same dev team (or some of them) than FF14.

But thats not really my point with this post. The point is, that by now, no matter where you belong in the gaming landscape, you know this game is coming out and you know what it is all about, plus you kinda get the feeling that it is a big deal, so people look at it even if they are not generally interested in JRPG's (especially if you look at some of the youtube comments, there is loads of people saying they have never played a JRPG, but this one might do it).
But also, if you are a hardcore fan of the genre of franchise, the campaign has more than enough to feed your curiosity. So its not just big events and marketing campaigns on...I dont know busses or the during the superbowl for the mainstream but it caters to its main fanbase (whether they like it or not).

I think a game like Starfield could have used some more of what FF16 did.

Top Bottom