• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we will see FF16 on PC before FF7 Rebirth?

Playing the whole "should I wait for the PC version" game on these releases and it sucks because it's all guesswork with no reliable info to work on.

There's a footnote in the FF7 media materials that says it's exclusive until May but we don't have a release date for FF16 yet either, and there's no way Square is going to have these games step over each other with overlapping release windows. So is it safe to say 16 is coming first? It's going to be over a year for Rebirth on PC isn't it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought FF16 on PS5 and played through it but wish I had just waited for the PC version so I'm not buying any of the DLC on PS5 and I'm going to double dip when the PC version releases.
For FF7 I played through Remake twice on PS4 and the Yuffie DLC on PS5, but then bought Remake on PC during the recent sale and I'm going to wait on the PC version for Rebirth now too.

Square has a busy year because not only are they releasing FF7 Rebirth on PS5 and hopefully FF16 on PC this year, but they're also releasing FF14 Dawntrail this summer. I think they'll want to spread the releases out and it's rumored that they'll announce the FF16 PC release date on March 22 at at conference (I forgot the name).
I'm guessing we'll get:
May or June 2024 - FF16 PC releases
July - August 2024 = FF14 Dawntrail releases
Early 2024 = FF7 Rebirth PC releases

I know they say Rebirth has a shorter exclusivity window this time around but if it's taking them this long to port FF16 then I don't see it being any faster.
I don't think Square will do the Epic Game Store exclusive shennanigans again... I think going forward it will be everywhere on PC once it does release. We shall see though.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Wait a year and then another year exclusivity on the not-so-epic store.

I mean, if you want to play a game badly, just play it and if you like it so much douple dip for a second playthrough.
EGS had it exclusive for 6 months, I think. So it's 18 months from now. (or 18 months from FFVII's DLC, if it gets any)

Last edited:
Wasn't there a thread a week or so ago that said that the exclusivity deal for rebirth ends in May 2024? Could potentially see it on PC sooner.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Wasn't there a thread a week or so ago that said that the exclusivity deal for rebirth ends in May 2024? Could potentially see it on PC sooner.
I'm guessing PC end of this year at the earliest. If the game launches in a poor state, then probably early next year.

Reallink

Given vanilla UE4 and short exclusivity window, there's some chance they're wanting to test an earlier release with Rebirth to see how sales do relative to their usual years later bullshit. There was no point in Sony being negotiated down to 3 months, or bothering to put that date on their marketing materials if they were actually planning on 18 or 24+ months later.

The problem with 16 could be that the team is inexperienced porting to PC, and having difficulty with their proprietary engine.

Last edited:

Hudo

Yes. I think Yoshi-P said that they want to put out FF16 in 2024. I strongly believe that PC version of FF7 Rebirth will be 2025

Go_Ly_Dow

Given vanilla UE4 and short exclusivity window, there's some chance they're wanting to test an earlier release with Rebirth to see how sales do relative to their usual years later bullshit. There was no point in Sony being negotiated down to 3 months, or bothering to put that date on their marketing materials if they were actually planning on 18 or 24+ months later.

The problem with 16 could be that the team is inexperienced porting to PC, and having difficulty with their proprietary engine.
I agree with the top line that we should see a PC release of Rebirth within 12 months rather than 24 months. In fact I think this is likely given only 3 months exclusivity.

As for 16, I'm not sure its do with inexperience, remember that its made by the 14 team and on an engine they're familiar with as it evolved from that game. I think 16 not being on PC yet is because they want to release it after Rebirth, rather than around it and also want to release it after both DLC's are out so they can launch an ultimate edition - like the 15 Royal edition that went down very well.

They may also be giving it a decent graphical upgrade to make it a showcase game, similar to how for FF15 on PC they really went crazy with adding lots of visual upgrades.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

In FF Remake, EGS got its PC version one year after INTERGRADE DLC. And THEN we waited 6 more months for Steam version. Which means FF7 didn't hit Steam for about 2 years after the vanilla release.

IF there is no DLC (which I doubt it, they will want to milk this thing as much as they can without looking like Capcom or WB), and IF Epic won't buy exclusivity (which I fear they will because they know how badly PC gamers want to play this), this game ain't hitting Steam any sooner than March 2025, and THAT's the best case scenario.

Way I see it, FF16 will hit Steam around Fall 2024 and Rebirth will arrive around summer-fall 2025.

Reallink

I agree with the top line that we should see a PC release of Rebirth within 12 months rather than 24 months. In fact I think this is likely given only 3 months exclusivity.

As for 16, I'm not sure its do with inexperience, remember that its made by the 14 team and on an engine they're familiar with as it evolved from that game. I think 16 not being on PC yet is because they want to release it after Rebirth, rather than around it and also want to release it after both DLC's are out so they can launch an ultimate edition - like the 15 Royal edition that went down very well.

They may also be giving it a decent graphical upgrade to make it a showcase game, similar to how for FF15 on PC they really went crazy with adding lots of visual upgrades.

Yeah that is plausible regarding 16, but imo dumb as fuck from a maximizing revenue perspective. They lose FAR more sales to extended years long delays than they gain from bundled DLC most people don't care about--and those who do would have gladly bought it at full price piecemeal for like an 80% higher return.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Yep I think this is exactly right.
No way it releases before that last DLC on PS5 and I would bet on the PC version including all of the DLC.
Hopefully they also include PC graphical extras like they did in FF15.... like maybe ray tracing for example.

Last edited:

Bkdk

If SE knows about the hype around all the swimsuits, they will want to release rebirth for PC asap as modding community are all interested on getting their hands onto all the attractive female chars there. Big Open world with varied gameplay also offers tons of fun that modders could do. FF16 on the other hand offers little reason for replay and there aren’t even much stuff for modders to change. Rebirth will easily 3x the sales of FF 16 even on ps5, likely 20x the sales when it’s on pc versus ff16.

If SE knows about the hype around all the swimsuits, they will want to release rebirth for PC asap as modding community are all interested on getting their hands onto all the attractive female chars there. Big Open world with varied gameplay also offers tons of fun that modders could do. FF16 on the other hand offers little reason for replay and there aren’t even much stuff for modders to change. Rebirth will easily 3x the sales of FF 16 even on ps5, likely 20x the sales when it’s on pc versus ff16.

Yeah I'm waiting for both games to come to PC. Mostly for the mods

Last edited:
Don’t know, don’t care
Happy In Love GIF by TLC Europe

Same, plus better frame rates and all the other benefits.

Plus you can use uncensored mods

Playing this Wii U Fatal Frame game using mods that restore the original Bikini costumes and uncensored that one cinematic that was censored for the west is such a game changer for me. I can understand why people don't go back to consoles after starting to play on PC

I still wonder about Switch 2, if Square had thought that the launch might have been this Summer.

IF there is no DLC (which I doubt it, they will want to milk this thing as much as they can without looking like Capcom or WB),

I think they are mainly focused on getting Part 3 out sooner rather than doing DLC.

Celcius

°Temp. member
March at last… I’m assuming based on rumors that towards the end of the month at PAX they may finally announce the PC release date for ff16.

Aenima

I think Square told they would need more than 6 months to port a game to PC. This was back when FFXVI came out. So yeah, they should be porting FFXVI 1st and after that Rebirth. Sony was just smart making a short exclusivity deal as Square takes longer to port the games.

nikos

I think we’ll see FFXVI this Spring and Rebirth either Q4 or early 2025.

I played through most of FFXVI but I’m waiting for the PC version to start over and finish it.

Also waiting for the PC version of Rebirth thanks to the demo.

Top Bottom