• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really want to build a PC, but parts are ridiculously expensive. Should I just give up and buy a pre-built?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm sure you could. However, I don't know what quality of GPUs they are putting in these things now. I know a ways back HP and Dell used to put the cheapest, poorest quality GPUs you could think of in there, no name brand with zero long-term driver support and cooling problems. Not sure how much anyone would pay for one of those. As an added bonus they'd go with a screwy custom bios to ensure generic Nvidia/AMD drivers never worked. LOL
I was fairly lucky in the quality of GPUs in the prebuilts I bought through Best Buy.

I bought a Cyberpower that had an MSI 3090 Ventus and the HP Omen had a Gigabyte 3080

The cooling was quite subpar so had both rebuilt using the Thermaltake Core P3 cases

HTK

Banned
No. My custom PC build with MSRP in mind is $3000 with highest of quality parts.

That same build with pre-built PC from any of these vendors is $5000 with some good quality parts.

So nah dawg, I rather just wait until the market corrects itself.

DaGwaphics

But a RTX 3060 is the same gpu no matter what the brand, I thought the only things that can be changed is clock speed and memory.

It is the same chip, but the major manufacturers manufacture there own GPUs (acting as their own AIB). Way back in the days of the GTX 9800, Dell was using a board with a 32kb rom for the bios instead of the standard 64kb/128kb that was on normal boards. They often use ridiculously cheap coolers too.

Even at retail, not all AIBs are created equal.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Depends on what you pay and if you are willing to pay more to take some of the components into another build(assuming the pre-built isn't up to par)

DaGwaphics

I was fairly lucky in the quality of GPUs in the prebuilts I bought through Best Buy.

I bought a Cyberpower that had an MSI 3090 Ventus and the HP Omen had a Gigabyte 3080

The cooling was quite subpar so had both rebuilt using the Thermaltake Core P3 cases

That's good. Maybe they've improved over the years. There was a time when a "gaming" PC from a major brand was a running joke. Amazing that you got name brand boards.

Topher

Gold Member

My son bought a Cyberpower with a 3060 Ti. I went over it and am fairly impressed. Has a decent name brand motherboard and no-name PSU which I could easily replace. Only thing right off the bat that I see as a problem is the Mickey Mouse cheap ass CPU heat sink. I've ordered a Noctua to replace it. Overall, pre-builds are a good option these days as long as the parts are standard. Sorry L lastmessiah that doesn't include from Alienware from what I've seen. I could be wrong though. I think when buying a pre-build folks should at least buy something with standard parts.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's good. Maybe they've improved over the years. There was a time when a "gaming" PC from a major brand was a running joke. Amazing that you got name brand boards.
To follow up on that my wife and I purchased several PCs for her old High Schools PC lab/Esports program and bought the same HP Omens at a different time and those came with 2 different GPUs Zotac and EVGA so guess it just depends what they can get

dorkimoe

i finally was able to get a 3080 (in a bundle) now im offloading the extra pieces for pretty cheap brand new, so at least you could find that stuff cheap

JCK75

I've always been very adamant about building my own PCs, but my current gaming rig was a pre-built for this very reason, I got mine in 2018 and I got a full system with a 1080 TI for less money that I would have spent getting just the 1080 TI at the time.

Arun1910

Probably not a popular opinion but yes, but make sure there is room to upgrade.

Know where you want to end up, find a middle ground with a pre built, and once your graphics card of choice (or cpu) is in stock, buy it, and sell your current one as money towards it

Moochi

You can get a scratch and dent alienware r12 with a ryzen 9 and a 3080 TI from delloutlet for around 2 grand. If you add an additional 3 year warranty, they'll replace the components when they burn out, even the videocard. The list of stock is always fluctuating, so it might take a few days before a system you like pops up. But the good news is they generally ship within 2 business days because they're already built.

GymWolf

Nvidia need to continue this shit for another year or 2 before i even think about buying a prebuild, especially here in italy...

Larogue

Buy a gaming laptop. They are sold at MSRP.

Plus any overpriced GPU you buy right now is going to become absolute in Q3 this year, since both AMD & NVIDIA will switch to 5nm node.

The jump will be huge.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
3000 series RTX are like $3000-4000 in my country. But if I buy a prebuilt, I can get an entire computer for around $2000 with an RTX 3060ti. So sad, I haven't built a computer in a long time :messenger_pensive:. It's way more satisfying to build your own.
I mean what I've always done is buy the tower and use what's good and then build a Frankenstein customer P.C. from there. That's always been the most fun for me and I've been building them like than since I was 14-years old.

twilo99

qkkf50wtzrc81.png

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well I have been seeing more and more retail toys pop up on places like Best Buy.. do we might actually start to be coming out of the shortages for somethings.

But also .. put that money to other things like I invested in a 10gbe home network and turned one of my PCs into a decent raid server.

MikeM

Buy a decent prebuilt and be done with it. Upgrade where it needs it over time. Just pick a prebuilt with the GPU you want.

Top Bottom