• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I sold my car to a junk yard, but they never came for the car. Should I care?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
On Thursday, I called a junk yard to sell my car. They sent out a guy to come look at the car. We agreed to a price for the vehicle. I signed over the title. He paid in cash. He told me he would have someone pick it up within 24 hours.

It's now Sunday. The car is still here. Should I care? I live in an apartment that only has 24 hour parking, so I have to move the car every day. I haven't reached out to the junk yard to see when it would be picked up yet, because I've had other stuff going on.

At this point, I've been paid. If the apartment tows the car, should I give a shit?

Update: I called the junker yesterday morning. They said they'd send someone yesterday.

The car is still here

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
You signed an agreement so that's not something to be taken lightly.

If you are just gonna let it sit and get towed, you need ample evidence to PYA (Protect Your Ass). That means being able to show that you made a good faith effort to allow the junk yard to pick up the car.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Doesn’t take much effort to give the guy a call. Maybe something happened to the guy he was going to have pick it up. Let him know he has to pick it up Monday since you don’t want to keep moving it.

GAMETA

Banned
Call the place, tell them there's a change the car will get towed. Record the call just in case... I'd move the car for a couple of days, it doesn't cost you anything, but If they don't act in that time then that's their problem, not yours

Last edited:

Allforce

A 3 minute phone call solves this issue just to be a good dude but ultimately it's their car to worry about at this point.

NecrosaroIII

Update: I called the junker yesterday morning. They said they'd send someone yesterday.

The car is still here

HoodWinked

Call them one more time and tell them it may get towed and let them know you are sending an email. Also in the email make sure to mention things like calling multiple times and when the sale occured this way you have a hard record that you gave them ample warning.

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Tell them it gets towed if they don’t pick it up. I want to know the conclusion to this story.

G-Bus

Banned
Car isn't yours anymore. You signed it over.

There is now someone else's car parked in your spot assuming you have assigned parking. Either contact someone to get it towed or just forget about the car altogether.

It's a non issue. You have nothing to do with that car now.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Had something like this happen with an old trailer years ago.
Sold it to a scrap yard, then never came for it.
Two years of waiting and calling every couple of weeks no one would come get it.
Finally just drove over (it was far enough out of my way that I didn't do it before this point).
Owner was like "My staff normally make the sales with no oversight, but sometimes they screw up. In this instance, the size and age of the trailer make it more expensive for me to get, store and process compared to what I paid you for it. No, I don't want my money back, that's just another headache for me. I'm calling it a loss and moving on, I'd suggest reselling it to another yard, but deal with a manager first, not a sales rep."

NecrosaroIII

How much did they pay for it?

$600.
It is a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE. Junked it because it has a bad catalytic converter and won't pass smog. The transmission is probably going bad too.

There is also body damage along the side (side swiped a post while turning a corner once).

NecrosaroIII

It's still there. I'm still moving it. I think I'm gonna stop. Called again and told them I got a notice from my complex to move my car or it will get towed (not true but I figured it would light a fire under the junk company's ass)

Irobot82

I think at this point you've done your due diligence. It's up to them now. Also, be sure to post some sweet pics of it getting towed.

NecrosaroIII

Just got a call back. They're coming for the car tonight. They're gonna pick it up at 930 PM

Top Bottom