• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still can't believe how bad X-Men Origins: Wolverine was

VulcanRaven

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is one the best superheroes in live-action so its sad how his origin movie was handled. They did improve in later solo movies and almost made you forget about Origins. I always wanted to see Wolverine's origin in live-action and the short flashbacks seen in the previous movies were great. They should have left it for people's imagination if this was the result. They made all the wrong decision PG-13 and rushed cgi included. I'm so glad we are getting a new movie with Wolverine and Deadpool.

How these Who Framed Roger Rabbit looking effects made into the movie?:

Last edited:
When that came out, it was like a 3-hour trip for me to wait for a van to go to town, wait for the movie, watch that trash and then wait for a van to pick me up to bring me back to the base I was stationed at the time. Made me really question my life choices walking out of that theater thinking I spent 3+hours and more effort than I'd have liked to watch a HORRIBLE movie. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

What's a shame is that I remember the opening being way cooler than the rest of the movie. I wanted more of the opening shit, Wolverine and Sabretooth fighting throughout history up until the modern X-Men movies....Guess that's not the Origin's I should have been expecting.

I was pretty much officially checked out by the time the claws popped in front of the mirror. I was stunned at how bad it looked. As an 8 y/o I tied sticks around my hands with yarn and ran around my neighborhood like a psycho and that looked better than what they made.

Last edited:

chromhound

tumblr_inline_o1mvywZdog1t6wivs_540.gifv

wolverine-deadpool.gif

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

When that came out, it was like a 3-hour trip for me to wait for a van to go to town, wait for the movie, watch that trash and then wait for a van to pick me up to bring my back to the base I was stationed at the time. Made me really question my life choices walking out of that theater thinking I spent 3+hours and more effort than I'd have liked to watch a HORRIBLE movie. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

What's a shame is that I remember the opening being way cooler than the rest of the movie. I wanted more of the opening shit, Wolverine and Sabretooth fighting throughout history up until the modern X-Men movies....Guess that's not the Origin's I should have been expecting.

I was pretty much officially checked out by the time the claws popped in front of the mirror. I was stunned at how bad it looked. As an 8 y/o I tied sticks around my hands with yarn and ran around my neighborhood like a psycho and that looked better than what they made.
The opening was great. It felt odd at the time that they retconned Sabertooth but the new actor was better.

"modern" movies would like to have a word with you :messenger_smirking::messenger_smirking:
especially movies in the same genre
At least back then we had just the bad category
and not bad, very bad, .... WTF I just saw category

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really liked t when it came out.
I also had no idea who deadpool is lol so maybe that is= why

ReBurn

Gold Member
After seeing the X-men movies that came before it I wasn't at all surprised at how bad it was.

VulcanRaven

The first two x men movies are great.

First class and DOFP are excellent. Heard Logan was good.

Everything else, was weak.
I liked The Wolverine and the R rated version made it even better. Only part I didn't like was the end battle. They ruined Silver Samurai.

Last edited:

simpatico

I didn't think Logan was that much better. All the glowing reviews must have made my expectations sky high for a grounded, mature wolverine movie. What we got was just another comic flick. It was fine in a vacuum, the hyper positive critiques were just totally off base for me.

EdFig81

Neo Member
When this came out I was sailing the high seas as a pirate and downloaded the blue print via I want to say AOL server rooms. It which was missing added CGI had blues screen (Green backgrounds at times). The last fight was so bad that I blamed it on watching a blue print. I then watched it when it came out for home and TBH i hated myself for watching that movie 2 times. This movie is put in my garbage super hero bin where many movies go like first punisher , dare devil and Green Lantern which i to this day haven't finished because both times I tried to watch it i fell asleep lol. Oh theres more movies there but as someone born in the 80's and loving X-men this movie really pissed me off.
Deadpool couldn't talk was the first sign of this having something very wrong smh.

The middle of the movie had some of the funnest scenes,

...but once things got serious again it quickly became worse and worse the longer it went on. It's clear to me that if they had simply went with the more fun/campy route, this movie could have easily been a 'so bad it's good' cult classic rather than something no one liked.

I liked The Wolverine and the R rated version made it even better. Only part I didn't like was the end battle. They ruined Silver Samurai.
Edit: I also really enjoyed The Wolverine and I felt like the type of story it was going for was more of what we needed from X-men, less world-ending plots and more character-centric stories. It would have been great to see other mutants get their own individual movies like the originally intended plan, but they would have screwed it up by making more Uber-Deadpool type villains because the formula insists that there always has to be a super threat that can kill everything. Current day MCU is going through this same problem.

I feel like the last 3-4 movies/Disney+ shows just needed to expand character arcs and have good writing, but 95% of the time they went overboard, and the one show that decided not to do it (She-Hulk) had massive writing issues that they had to handwave away with 4th wall breakage.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's one of the worst movies I paid to see. Rollerball was the only one that i could think of that was worse. Even Battlefield Earth was so bad it was fun. Hugh physique was tremendous. Theat guy worked his ass off. With some juice on the side, I'm sure.

Lambhalf

You wanna know the worst part? I remember an interview where the lady said that they didn't give Gambit his iconic black and red eyes because they didn't want to "scare the audience."

VulcanRaven

When this came out I was sailing the high seas as a pirate and downloaded the blue print via I want to say AOL server rooms. It which was missing added CGI had blues screen (Green backgrounds at times). The last fight was so bad that I blamed it on watching a blue print. I then watched it when it came out for home and TBH i hated myself for watching that movie 2 times. This movie is put in my garbage super hero bin where many movies go like first punisher , dare devil and Green Lantern which i to this day haven't finished because both times I tried to watch it i fell asleep lol. Oh theres more movies there but as someone born in the 80's and loving X-men this movie really pissed me off.
Deadpool couldn't talk was the first sign of this having something very wrong smh.
I like the first Punisher movie and Daredevil. I recommend the director's cut version of Daredevil that is 30 minutes longer and rated R.

Last edited:
Top Bottom