• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still think ab Satoru Iwata

It's already been 8 years.
I like to think that he saw BOTW nearly completed, and now, with TOTK he's like in the soul of the game.
But i Remember the stupid people's "rage" after revelation of Star Fox Zero, and that E3 with Muppet show because he was sick but they didn't knew; maybe he was reading insulta online and he was suffering more.
I think Iwata's last years were a lesson to everybody: never insult somebody who Is not deserving that, because you don't know the problems someone Is passing.
What a great lovely man he was.

ZoukGalaxy

You are not alone, I miss those time... 😿

video games news GIF by NowThis
Satoru Iwata News GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't get why you still think about a man you never met.

My guess is that OP feels guilty about insulting him online many years ago.

While his tenure didn’t end on a successful note, to me Iwata will always be the most likeable and relatable Nintendo executive. He maneuvered Nintendo through some very very difficult years, especially for their home console.
You're right, when he died Nintendo was struggling with WiiU, but we cannot forget that he guided Nintendo in their most succesful times, with Ds and Wii, and planning the project of Switch.

Me too, I grew up with that man was creating and I literally started tearing up when the credits of Breath of The Wild said "Produced by Satoru Iwata"
There was an NPC that looked like him that helped you out as well right? And there was that one peaceful place that was linked to him as well I believe. It's been so long since I've played it I can't remember correctly.

He really was a special guy 💜

L*][*N*K

Banned
There was an NPC that looked like him that helped you out as well right? And there was that one peaceful place that was linked to him as well I believe. It's been so long since I've played it I can't remember correctly.

He really was a special guy 💜
Yes there is an NPC that a lot of people think it is him, I believe so too, the resemblance is uncanny

LordOfChaos

Yes, you never know what someone else is going through, it was clear after the fact some things like the puppet show were due to his illness. I think also being such a kid focused company, they tried to soften the blow by simply calling it a growth etc.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
He was a great choice for Nintendo he loved games and the trio of Him Reggie and Miyamoto that was pretty sweet, a fun anarchic time. miss that open style they had

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's impressive, how only him could make a online show work. It's night and day how every other presenters feels so disconnected with what they are showing. They either are pr people faking every blink, or executives reading direct from the teleprompter. That's what made his presence so special. He actually liked being there. He genuinely wanted to do that.

It's impressive, how only him could make a online show work. It's night and day how every other presenters feels so disconnected with what they are showing. They either are pr people faking every blink, or executives reading direct from the teleprompter. That's what made his presence so special. He actually liked being there. He genuinely wanted to do that.
Yes.
He was special in Nintendo directs too, i can't Imagine another president acts like him without being weird.
After his death, i think the directs changed a lot. Even Shibata seems to be behind the scenes again. He still presents?

Impotaku

I think this is his last photo

1lhm8H9.jpg
This was part of the reason why he never went on camera at the very last e3 presentation they got hensons creature workshop to make puppets of them all and made it really fun & unique show however when i see that gif i get sad as i know he was close to losing to the cancer you can tell from that pic he was already pretty ill he passed away not that long after the e3 presentation he was too unwell to go on camera at that point. Still my fave president as he ushered in both the wii & ds it was a great time to be a nintendo fan so much stuff to play.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't remember why.. but I thought about him the other day. Wondering if he thought he'd be the next Yamauchi, reigning Nintendo forever. It is a shame and he's missed.

SiahWester

I miss him too. Nintendo's PR seems to be lacking nowadays. It was a lot more fun with Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto.

YukiOnna

It's not the same without him on Nintendo Directs either and the Iwata Asks series is a treasure.
I still remember the E3 memes with the megatons/bombshell hype due to just photos of Iwata+Reggie+Miyamoto. Good times.

R.I.P Iwata.

For any who didn't yet, you should read the Iwata book. Provides insight on Iwata and Nintendo in general, such a fantastic read.

He definitely had his heart in what he did while he was alive. But even post passing, his legacy will continue. Game on in his honor Nintendo fans

Jeeves

I wonder if Nintendo Directs were his idea? Does anyone know?

Feels like we were living in the dark ages as fans before directs.

While his tenure didn’t end on a successful note, to me Iwata will always be the most likeable and relatable Nintendo executive. He maneuvered Nintendo through some very very difficult years, especially for their home console.
What was difficult about the Wii and DS? He only got really involved late GameCube.

Top Bottom