• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Death Stranding is going to flop and I'm scared

Javthusiast

Banned
I think Kojima hyping this game up to be something game-changing will come back to haunt him.
From everything I have read and all the gameplay footage I have seen, there is nothing about DS that suggests this game is gonna shake up the industry.

This bothered me for the longest time. There is nothing new about any of it, just maybe that it will be crammed into one game, but even still it won't be anything revolutionary mechanics wise.

A.Romero

The amount of people who just hope this game flops because the hate the praise kojima has got over the years is just INSANE. Wow, I really did not expect people on this forum to be like this.

New game, no lootboxes, trying to do something new. Implenting loads of high quality cutscenes because it wants to bring a great story to life. And yet so many people want it to flop wtf

Sad but true. I don't get why people want anything to flop. I mean, if the game is good everybody wins. If the game is bad, everybody loses.

I had my doubts but now I'm a believer. I'm willing to bet the game will do well.

Zero7

If it's good, it's good, if it's bad Kojima can get it right next time.

I love MGS1-4 V was dogshit. But I don't get all the praise Kojima gets, he's a talented dev for sure but there's other devs that are as good.

Well this thread has a lot of stuck up fuckers in it.

I do not know how the game is going to sell and I do not know what the games overall quality will be like.

But I will buy it because I've loved Kojimas previous work and that is enough for me to take a blind jump.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It sounds like it's weird as fuck and has a lot of mechanisms which will rub most gamers the wrong way.

Its a postman game with a lot of cameos and self indulgence, not some indy masterpiece on a shoestring budget.

The shit I've heard about this, having to go back and do all the side quests, having to carry dead players away so you can even navigate the world, the trope driven storyline, the cliff hanger ending, major characters who are only in cut scenes..
It could be a masterpiece. It seems like it starts slow but gets a lot better

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have all systems and will get the game if it is good but......based off what they have shown it doesn't even look like a game. Unless they are being secretive about major gameplay (which i doubt as you want pre-orders) then I think it will suck. If you are going to argue this then say what it is about what has been shown that makes you excited?

BootsLoader

Banned
BootsLoader BootsLoader

There have been plenty of leaks recently to suggest otherwise. For example if Shirako...the guy that when he plays a certain game, he dissects it to the smallest part and tests everything out, says that you are repeating same missions multiple times (same locations) just to have something happen 4 hours later and says the story pacing is worse that MGS5...yea, this guy is a legit gamer with a huge channel. He is not some hater, just always says like it is. Cant wait for the reviews tho. Especially from channels like ACG @Karak who never pad a games score.

Still waiting to play that game myself and decide wether it’s good or not. For example, I like Heavy Rain but for some people it’s not a good game. Same goes for the reviewers. Some may like it some may not. There are games that are different and the opinions may vary. I think death stranding will be one of those games.
In the end what I hope is that the game will sell well enough so we can have more Kojima craziness in the future.

Grinchy

Banned
Kojima hasn't really given me any huge reasons to avoid any game he's making, but for some reason I still think I may hold off a month or two on this one. I just don't fucking understand it. I watched a few trailers, I've barely seen what you actually do in the game outside of walking around giant landscapes with a band's road case equipment on your back, and I have no concept of what the story might be whatsoever.

It's not that those are bad things, but they don't lead me to blindly forking over $65.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Some dude that has already completed the game says it gets very good in the middle/last portion.

He gives it a 9.

BELIEVE

It all fits with Kojima referencing Alien, a movie with a long slow-paced build-up before everything kicks into high gear 40 odd minutes into a sub 2hr feature.

Setup is important.

Kojima hasn't really given me any huge reasons to avoid any game he's making, but for some reason I still think I may hold off a month or two on this one. I just don't fucking understand it. I watched a few trailers, I've barely seen what you actually do in the game outside of walking around giant landscapes with a band's road case equipment on your back, and I have no concept of what the story might be whatsoever.

It's not that those are bad things, but they don't lead me to blindly forking over $65.

My thoughts exactly. I do hope it succeeds and is everything we could want and then some.

Chiggs

Gold Member
If only we lived in a universe that fair and just. No, rest assured that the paid reviewers will adorn their precious Kojima with all sorts of ridiculous superlatives (more deserving of the Kojima that made MGS3: Snake Eater some 15 years ago), which will ignite interest from gamers around the globe.

I do think this game becomes one of those "darlings" that makes people lie to themselves about the level of enjoyment they experienced while playing it...like pretty much any Tim Schaefer game ever made.

Last edited:

A.Romero

If only we lived in a universe that fair and just. No, rest assured that the paid reviewers will adorn their precious Kojima will all sorts of ridiculous superlatives (more deserving of the Kojima that made MGS3: Snake Eater some 15 years ago), which will ignite interest from gamers around the globe.

I do think this game becomes one of those "darlings" that makes people lie to themselves about the level of enjoyment they experienced while playing it...like pretty much any Tim Schaefer game ever made.

Would it be possible that people can genuinely like something you don't?

*This thread paid for by Microsoft.

OP didn't even mention why he's scared IF the game will flop.
Jon Neu Jon Neu EXPOSED!
Tc2dX.gif

joe_zazen

Sad but true. I don't get why people want anything to flop. I mean, if the game is good everybody wins. If the game is bad, everybody loses.

I had my doubts but now I'm a believer. I'm willing to bet the game will do well.

it is a must buy if you are bored with how most aaa videogames are. I am waiting to see if you can pacifist run the game before purchase because i am really really tired of killing shit in videogames.

But yeah, rooting for this to fail, wtf.

Smasher89

Gets flashbacks to Inafune's last work, hopefully this ends up way better. Havent watched the last gameplay trailer though.

I'm really pulling for it to exceed my expectations. But I figure at worst it'll be a buy at $20-30. At the very least, it's not another piece of shit cookie cutter looter Shooter GAAS.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hopefully this ends up like Control and goes half price in like a month so I can give it a try early.

Dream on. Death Stranding could be the worst reviewed game in the history of the world and it'd still outsell Control by a country mile.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The mission activities we have seen so far (delivering things) look rather boring, the story set piece event look more interestings as do the spirits or what ever they are.
How fun the game is will depend on how the game activities and variation is handled, if its 70% delivery missions with 30% other more story driven activities scattered in, I think it would be rather tedious.

It utterly odd how anyone can say with any degree of convidence weather the game will be bad, good or great as the overall game quality depends on the things I outlined in which we do not known yet.

Top Bottom