• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think thrift stores are starting to toss their CRTs

46792082875_9742c44bc8_b.jpg

anyone notice this? I've been having more and more trouble finding thrift stores that still carry VHS tapes, but now finding CRT TVs is becoming a nightmare.

are the major thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. no longer accepting donations on them?

this sucks because I need a new CRT TV. craigslist is a no go as every idiot is listing their shitty CRT TV for ridiculous amounts because its a "RETRO GAMER TV"

I get asking some serious $$$ for a Sony PVM/BVM, but people are asking stupid amounts for their shitty Toshiba CRT.

first my favorite local VHS rental store permanently closes during COVID now this bullshit?

seriously thinking of just shopping for some CRT TVs next time I visit Mexico. might have to stock up on a few.

Last edited:

Ionian

They haven't been sold in years. Used to be taken as trade-ins, then a discount on a new TV and then simply binned.

Here electric shops used to leave them out for rubbish trucks. Much like magnetic tapes. Outdated, not bought so no profit. Dead weight.

Business is business after all.

Blade2.0

46792082875_9742c44bc8_b.jpg

anyone notice this? I've been having more and more trouble finding thrift stores that still carry VHS tapes, but now finding CRT TVs is becoming a nightmare.

are the major thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. no longer accepting donations on them?

this sucks because I need a new CRT TV. craigslist is a no go as every idiot is listing their shitty CRT TV for ridiculous amounts because its a "RETRO GAMER TV"

I get asking some serious $$$ for a Sony PVM/BVM, but people are asking stupid amounts for their shitty Toshiba CRT.

first my favorite local VHS rental store permanently closes during COVID now this bullshit?

seriously thinking of just shopping for some CRT TVs next time I visit Mexico. might have to stock up on a few.
Try joining this century

Ionian

But what if you still have working 8/16/32 bit console games?

LOL, you have adapters for decades now. Dirt cheap. I could run a C64 on an LCD with no issues. Not a console but legacy connections. Same goes with consoles.

They honestly cost next to nothing and you wanna go cheaper, order from Asia. Most places do free shipping.

LOL, you have adapters for decades now. Dirt cheap. I could run a C64 on an LCD with no issues. Not a console but legacy connections. Same goes with consoles.

They honestly cost next to nothing and you wanna go cheaper, order from Asia. Most places do free shipping.

Huh, honestly didn't know. Still using my CRT in my room while the more modern stuff is in the living room.

Try joining this century

I knew there was a disconnect between the gaming and off-topic communities here, but I didn't think it was this large.

There's vastly different takes in gaming about this topic.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-tv-photos-of-resident-evil-in-240p.1627132/

Ionian

Huh, honestly didn't know. Still using my CRT in my room while the more modern stuff is in the living room.

Ah CRT's are awesome but not the end of the world at all, nostalgic probably and were far more expensive.

Here's a link to buy a converter, they're seriously cheap and work as I have bought one. Think the one I did used SCART but was ages ago. They do all formats, much like TV's now do.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Maybe go around nursing homes and see if they have any, i got some CRTs from a closing down nursing home, they were pretty old, had no remote. U had to press buttons on the tv box.

Somtimes I wonder if CRT tech didnt go away they probably would of created a new type of CRT using modern tech.

Last edited:

Ionian

Jesus Christ, don't go around nursing homes looking for TV's as old as the residents unless you're checking skips.

I got of load of old monitors from a skip outside of a bank. Was a bastard to bring them home but the all worked. They write the cost off for buying new ones with the insurance company. Was the same with my college years later, a skip full of monitors and keyboards. Always full, was a crazy waste of money. Sold some, kept some. A few years ago got a couple of Apple G5's from a skip outside the backdoor, printing place. Pimped ones, sold those as well. They just write them off.

Sosokrates

Jesus Christ, don't go around nursing homes looking for TV's as old as the residents unless you're checking skips.

I got of load of old monitors from a skip outside of a bank. Was a bastard to bring them home but the all worked. They write the cost off for buying new ones with the insurance company. Was the same with my college years later, a skip full of monitors and keyboards. Always full, was a crazy waste of money. Sold some, kept some. A few years ago got a couple of Apple G5's from a skip outside the backdoor, printing place. Pimped ones, sold those as well. They just write them off.

Why not nursing homes?

jJ21TWT.png

Ionian

Why not nursing homes?

Have you ever been in one? It's predatory. If they fuck them in a skip outside then cool but going into one looking for TV's? That's just bad manners. Had a massive one locally, bigger than my school. Honestly was like a prison, we used to go in as kids.

I just remember the silence, was quieter than an empty church. Don't think we were asked a question once so we'd climb onto the roof and jump across the building. (one trip and you're dead, think it was four-stories high).

EDIT: Clarifying I was a kid and ashamed of my behaviour. Going into one should be to visit not look for old belongings. As I said see if there is a skip outside and then grab whatever they dump.

I also see you edited your post after mine. Very sneaky.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Have you ever been in one? It's predatory. If they fuck them in a skip outside then cool but going into one looking for TV's? That's just bad manners. Had a massive one locally, bigger than my school. Honestly was like a prison, we used to go in as kids.

I just remember the silence, was quieter than an empty church. Don't think we were asked a question once so we'd climb onto the roof and jump across the building. (one trip and you're dead, think it was four-stories high).

EDIT: Clarifying I was a kid and ashamed of my behaviour. Going into one should be to visit not look for old belongings. As I said see if there is a skip outside and then grab whatever they dump.

I also see you edited your post after mine. Very sneaky.

What predatory about seeing if nursing homes are willing to sell you old CRT TVs at a reasonable price?

Blade2.0

what the hell is a skip?

EDIT: just saw the link.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I’m honestly shocked there was a store anywhere still renting vhs tapes as recently as the Covid pandemic. I don’t think I’ve seen a physical vhs tape in 10+ years and I’m in my 40’s. I do wish there was an easy cheap way to buy a nice new ~24” crt for retro gaming.

H4ze

I feel your struggle. But just recently I got lucky and found a nice sony 32" Trinitron for 40 €.

Playing my PS1, DC and SNES etc. on it is a blast, made feel like a kid again. :)
Hope you find a good one soon dude.

Thaedolus

btw the problem with a discussion about CRTs or tech in general is always when something is treated with a blanket statement like “X is better than Y.”

CRTs aren’t better or worse than new TVs, overall, they’re simply better suited for certain scenarios. I have a heavy ass CRT exclusively for old consoles because 1) it’s better for that purpose, and 2) I have dedicated room for it. Absent those factors I would never have a bulky piece of ancient tech like that. I never use it for anything other than retro hardware, but it was free and it’s not hurting anything sitting in my game room.

Last edited:
I lugged around a 32 inch Sony for years for retro purposes, but I found myself hardly ever touching it and finally put it on the curb.
With the mini retro consoles and the big three getting older libraries with their subscription services is good enough for me. And if there is a title I can't find, there's always emulation.

Mithos

For older games designed for CRTs.
Even on PS3 gen it was better. (My PS3 was hooked up to a HD-CRT, looked and still look better then running on my current LCD)

For PC it could be better too.
Run the game at 720p or less instead of 1080p+ and be able to run it with high/ultra + RT on lower end hardware, without it looking like trash as it does on a LCD panel when running lower resolutions..

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nah more like:

- Supply is naturally dwindling.. I mean old shit dies
- People are buying them up from thrift stores and putting them on Ebay/Craigslist for high prices due to the influx of gamers wanting CRT
- Hell, people who run or work at thrift stores are a likely candidate for option 2 here anyways... get truly valuable vintage stuff, and you sell it somewhere besides your thrift store

Last edited:
Top Bottom