• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Wii U is Nintendo's best console since the SNES

Anth0ny

Alson on topic, I highly disagree. On any account, it's been the worse Nintendo console since the begining. Not counting Virtual Boy of course. The 1st party output has been the weakest and the 3rd party output has been absent.
3D World is the weakest entry in the 3D serie and I cant imagine how in the world Color Splash would be the best Paper Mario title in the serie. Not in a million years. Wii U's been about Nintendo playing safe and lazy for the most part.

I don't know how you could argue that Wii has better first party output than Wii U. I'd love to hear it.

To me...

Galaxy 1 and 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D World (3D World is still a masterpiece)
Xenoblade >>>>>>> X (never really cared for either game, though)
Sin and Punishment 2 is very good
Metroid Prime 3 is sweet

Then you have the Wii U

Smash 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl
Mario Kart 8 >>>>>>>>> Mario Kart Wii
Tropical Freeze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DKCR
NSMBU >>>>>>>>>>>> NSMB Wii
Wind Waker HD and TPHD >>> TP and SS (and that Breath of the Wild game looks pretty sweet so far)
Mutha fuckin Splatoon
Mutha fuckin Mario Maker
Mutha fuckin Pikmin 3

To me, it's not even close. If I had to rank both libraries together, it's Galaxy 2 and 1 easily at the top 2 spots, then it's like 12 Wii U games before we get to another Wii game.

I agree 100%, OP. The N64 was tacky, and suffered badly from not having the storage or audio/video capacity of CDs. The Gamecube had power but lacked the games. The Wii was too far behind the technological curve. The Wii U is the first time Nintendo's really been back in the game since the SNES, and I've loved it. It has all the advantages of the Wii with plenty of advantages it didn't. It's the first time Nintendo's got online play right. Iy has killer exclusives. It's easily the best machine out there for any Zelda fan. For all the flack it got from 3rd parties it has a better 3rd party library than the N64 and better ports than the Wii could manage. It has a mountain of controller options. It's just hands down the best thing Nintendo has done since their glory days; it's a shame the cynical market couldn't see that.

DJIzana

I really enjoy my Wii U. Honestly, every Nintendo console I've been happy with that I've ever owned they haven't really disappointed. The only nitpick I really had with Nintendo was the motion controls on the Wii. Even then it wasn't really a deal breaker for me.

I think, the only system I've EVER owned that I was disappointed with (and so much so that it made me almost go Nintendo exclusive) was my PS3. Luckily, they changed that with the PS4. A lot of games I'm looking forward to playing on that system where as for PS3, the only ones I really enjoyed, were Ni no Kuni, the Yakuza games and Valkyria Chronicles. Square's output last gen was atrocious but I'm glad they're making a comeback.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I don't know how you could argue that Wii has better first party output than Wii U. I'd love to hear it.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles if you like the first-party JRGP selection. ExciteTruck, ExciteBots, and Punch-Out. Those are quite exceptional titles bolstering the Wii alongside Galaxy, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Sin & Punishment 2, and Skyward Sword.

royox

Game Cube forever.

It had an awesome 1st/2nd party lineup and AMAZING 3rd party support if we compare with WiiU.

For many of you Nintendo means "Mario, Luigi, Toad, Pikmin". For me (and many other people) Nintendo meant

Rogue_squadron_2_Box.jpg

250px-BatenKaitosCover.jpg

Tales_of_Symphonia_case_cover.jpg

250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

6076_front.jpg

enhanced-buzz-17504-1389467654-3.jpg

516_front.jpg

latest

etc.

For me WiiU is my "Xenoblade X machine". Bayonetta 2 and TW101 were "ok, I I have this console...guess I have to buy 'em". Still waiting for Zelda so my WiiU becomes a "Xenoblade AND Zelda machine".

pd: And nope, I never bought a WiiU. I won it.

The Wii U is Nintendo's worst console since the Virtual Boy, and its worst TV-based console ever (aside from maybe some niche console that I've never heard of or pre-NES stuff). It has the worst library of games of any TV-based Nintendo console, and even if there are some high quality first party games, every other Nintendo console has also had high quality first party games as well as a much stronger variety of 3rd party games.

The lack of 3rd party support isn't just an isolated decision for devs to leave, it's Nintendo constantly prioritizing their own 1st party games at the cost and uninvolvement of 3rd party developers/publishers. They've been doing it for several generations, but this is the first generation where the install base is so low that developers don't have any justification to develop for the console.

That you're getting "The best version yet" of some franchises is an easy thing to say with a new console. Similarly, Madden '16 is definitely the best version of Madden if they're compared directly, but most fans adjust based on the time of the release and rank Madden '04/05/06 or Madden '93/94/95 or Madden '01 much higher when adjusted to their releases. Similarly, Super Mario 3D World is a great game, has the best graphics of any Mario game, and still has excellent gameplay, but Super Mario World and Mario 64 were revelations at their release and they're still hallmarks of gaming some 20 or 25 years after their release. 3D World will hold up as a great game in 25 years, but it won't have the same impact or be remembered as strongly as Super Mario World and Mario 64. Beyond 3D World, Smash and Mario Kart are great, but they're not going to be remembered as strongly as other releases in the series even if they are still very good games.

But, sadly, the complete dearth of content is what makes this Nintendo's weakest TV-based console. Even while the Wii languished with shovelware over the last few years of its release, those first 2 or 3 years were so strong with content -- even if non-traditional gaming content -- that the console was such a breath of fresh air. Because of the install base, 3rd parties still adapted content to the console even if they were vastly inferior versions of games, you still got fresh, new content. There is none of that on the Wii U from developers other than Nintendo or tightly-partnered 2nd parties. Sadly, we've entered a world where the prospect of high quality, landmark 3rd party games on a Nintendo console is so unrealistic fans have shifted their priority to think that you can only get Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, and so 3rd party games don't matter. But for generations, some of the best 3rd party games were being released on Nintendo consoles. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were considered (and still are occassionally) the best shooters/action games released that generation, Turok and Turok 2 were considered excellent, WWF No Mercy is sitll widely considered the best wrestling game ever, Rogue Squadron, and Resident Evil 4 were two excellent action games. The idea that a Nintendo console would debut the best wrestling game, the best shooters, the best action games, and the best survival horror games ... today ... is a ridiculous idea that nobody entertains.

Joei

I don't know if Wii U is actually "better than" Wii or GameCube, but it is my second favorite Nintendo console right behind SNES.

To me...

Galaxy 1 and 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D World (3D World is still a masterpiece)
Xenoblade >>>>>>> X (never really cared for either game, though)
Sin and Punishment 2 is very good
Metroid Prime 3 is sweet

Then you have the Wii U

Smash 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl
Mario Kart 8 >>>>>>>>> Mario Kart Wii
Tropical Freeze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DKCR
NSMBU >>>>>>>>>>>> NSMB Wii
Wind Waker HD and TPHD >>> TP and SS (and that Breath of the Wild game looks pretty sweet so far)
Mutha fuckin Splatoon
Mutha fuckin Mario Maker
Mutha fuckin Pikmin 3

To me, it's not even close. If I had to rank both libraries together, it's Galaxy 2 and 1 easily at the top 2 spots, then it's like 12 Wii U games before we get to another Wii game.

Come on, on the Zelda side, Wii U has no exclusive Zelda.
Super Paper Mario will definitely be above Color Splash.
Also, on the 1st party side, Wii had Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Punch-Out!!, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Epic's Yarn and Kirby Dreamland, Wario Land Shake it or Sin and Punishment.

brinstar

I'm always surprised when I see people talking so highly of Gamecube. Both Wii and Wii U were much better consoles to me.

Game Cube forever.

It had an awesome 1st/2nd party lineup and AMAZING 3rd party support if we compare with WiiU.

For many of you Nintendo means "Mario, Luigi, Toad, Pikmin". For me (and many other people) Nintendo meant

etc.

For me WiiU is my "Xenoblade X machine". Bayonetta 2 and TW101 were "ok, I I have this console...guess I have to buy 'em". Still waiting for Zelda so my WiiU becomes a "Xenoblade AND Zelda machine".

pd: And nope, I never bought a WiiU. I won it.

Adding onto that list, the GameCube was a survival horror beast machine. It got fantastic support from Capcom. All of the best Resident Evils ever made were released on it. All available on that one small purple box. Wii U got... a remaster of a 3DS game (Revelations). And a RE4 Wii re-release on eShop. That's about it.

It's probably my least favourite Nintendo console ever.

My experience was made 100 times better once I bought a Pro controller, but it still doesn't even compare to the fun I had with the Gamecube or N64, nevermind the SNES and NES.

It's definitely Nintendo's weakest showing, ignoring the Virtual Boy.

You could certainly say Wii U's first-party output is stronger than Wii's, but it's the latter's third-party support that does it for me. Yes, the flood of shovelware was awful, but there's still dozens of gems like Little King's Story and MadWorld. Problem was that by the time third-parties finally figured the console out ('08, which saw the release of No More Heroes and Mega Man 9), dedicated consumers were too turned off by the shovelware to notice.

Meanwhile, I can't think of any compelling Wii U third-party exclusives except for ZombiU, and that didn't hold my attention for long.

Pinky

Banned
Wii U doesn't have Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron, 3D Mario, or a Godzilla brawler. So it by default can't be better than the GameCube.

Well, it kinda does. Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii, so MP Trilogy is playable on Wii U. That and the game is available on Wii U eShop as well.

b3b0p

Wii U loses my vote for the fact it has an external sensor bar.

My Nintendo goat list:

NES > SNES > N64 > Gamecube > Wii U > Wii

Game Boy Advance > Game Boy > 3DS > DS

While I disagree that it's their best console since the SNES, I love my Wii U to death and it's easily my favorite current-generation console both in terms of its library and its overall focus and ease of use.

It's really depressing to think how many people have missed out on such a wonderful console because of the awful, misleading name, Nintendo's completely botched marketing for it, and the technical issues it experienced out of the gate (but have since been patched out and drastically improved upon). The Wii U never had a chance despite how fantastic it actually is. :(

Weebos

Banned
Gamecube had the strongest stationary console run.

I think every handheld beats all of their other consoles though.

royox

What an odd assortment of characters.

I know, but it's a reality that a lot of people will buy a game only because it has a "Mario character" on it.

I was just trying to say that there are people out there that got Nintendo consoles but not for the "mario" games but for (don't say mature, don't say mature) other games. Like RE4, Eternal Darkness and the ones I posted before.

Yeah, I can enjoy a good mario game (Platformers, Karts, Smash) but games like the ones I said are the console sellers for me. I understand WiiU has A LOT of typical nintendo games and Hardcore Nintendo fans will love it...but what about the rest?

Also...I'm not english and maybe I'm expressing it wrong as f*ck :_

Anth0ny

Come on, on the Zelda side, Wii U has no exclusive Zelda.
Super Paper Mario will definitely be above Color Splash.
Also, on the 1st party side, Wii had Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Punch-Out!!, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Epic's Yarn and Kirby Dreamland, Wario Land Shake it or Sin and Punishment.

oh yeah, forgot about Super Paper Mario. good game.

I know Wii U doesn't have an exclusive Zelda but I still had a much better time playing Wind Waker HD over TP and SS on Wii. Having those two games don't really give the Wii too many "points" in its favor honestly.

As for the bolded... I played all of them except Fire Emblem and they really all did nothing for me. Epic Yarn had awesome music and art style... that's about it.

Like I said before, not saying they're bad games by any means, but Wii U's output is just way stronger. I had more fun out of Splatoon alone than all of those bolded games.

If solely for the quality of Nintendo games, I would agree.
But SNES had quality and quantity too. And that's without accounting for the third party stuff that was great in SNES era and abscent in Wii U era.

I love the Wii U but it's far from the SNES in so many ways...

Tratorn

Don't know how someone could think that, but yea, everyone has his own taste of course.
For me it was the worst Nintendo console ever (didn't own a Virtual Boy though...).

2014 was quite nice, but before and after that I bought just a few games for WiiU. I think I never had a console with such a low number of games besides the Saturn.

Don't know how someone could think that, but yea, everyone has his own taste of course.
For me it was the worst Nintendo console ever (didn't own a Virtual Boy though...).

2014 was quite nice, but before and after that I bought just a few games for WiiU. I think I never had a console with such a low number of games besides the Saturn.

It's all a matter of taste. I own about 3x as many Wii U games as I do for my PS4 at the moment.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cube, by a long shot. The highlights:

2 metroids. WW. TTP. 3rd party gems (Capcom, Namco, Factor5, Treasure).

vs

0 metroids. Splatoon. WWHD & TTPHD, BotW. Indies.

daemonic

Banned
Wii U just doesn't have the library diversity going for it. Sure it has some top notch games but the Gamecube library is just so much more varied and interesting to me:

Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Zelda Wind Waker & Twilight Princess
F-Zero GX
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
SSB Melee
Resident Evil 4
REmake
Tales of Symphonia
Timesplitters 2
Fire Emblem POR
Animal Crossing
Baten Kaitos 1 and 2
Paper Mario TTYD
Eternal Darkness
Soul Calibur II
Viewtiful Joe
P.N.03
Mario Party 4 & 5
Killer7
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
SSX 3
Beyond Good and Evil
Mario Golf, Tennis, Strikers
Ikaruga
Waverace BS
Skies of Arcadia

georly

It does? Smash and...

Smash
mario kart
Pikmin
Donkey kong country
Bayonetta
NSLU (best NSMB game, i think)

That's just my opinion, though.

Outside of those and the handful of charming newcomers (captain toad, splatoon, mario maker), it's nothing special, and suffers from key omissions, like metroid or animal crossing.

Hard to count zelda toward all of this because it's not out, will be multiplatform, and will come out basically after wii u is already dead.

OP, I agree with this 100%. Also, great job at backing up your opinion with reasons; it's a pity that some of the rebuttal attempts are one-sentence "But GC was better!" nonsense.

Anyway, another plus in the Wii U category is that, for most of its games, there is support for a relatively normal controller... Actually, an awesome controller. The Wii U Pro may actually be the best Nintendo controller since the SNES one. I know the GCN controller has a legion of hardcore fans, but that controller was ass. And given the recent couple of threads painting the N64 controller in a largely negative light, I would say that controller was crap, too. Was not a fan of motion controls on everything so that rules out the Wii. (Although motion controls ARE appropriate and work great on some games)

And yes, the Wii U does have an amazing first party library. Some of the best entries in their respective series are on the Wii U. I honestly believe, for example, that NSMB U is the best 2D Mario since SMW, maybe even since SMB3.

Speaking of GameCube, why the hell would I choose it over the Wii U? I can play the superior versions of the two GCN Zelda games on the Wii U. I can play the superior versions of the Metroid Prime games (and for only $20!) on the Wii U. I can play Sunshine... Wait, hold on, I don't want to play Sunshine. I'll take SM3DW over Sunshine 11 times out of 10. Etc etc...

Galang

Banned
First party titles were pretty consistent quality wise and pretty varied, but the highs weren't as spectacular as the generation before it. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment 2 alone were godlike. If you combine both the Wii & Wii U generation as one then I'd agree. For anyone that missed the Wii generation they would be in for a real treat. I'd put Wii U on par with GC at least

mindsale

I wonder if Wii U will be remembered more poorly in the future if NX (and future machines) don't have some backwards-compatibility. Eventually all the Gamepads will break and no longer be supported and some games will be rendered unplayable.

As for the greatest machine since SNES, I think it's their worst yet, even if I agree it does have the best iterations of pretty much all Nintendo's franchises.

It can't be understated how industry-changing Mario 64 and OoT were on the N64.

Super Smash Bros Melee kept a Gamecube hooked up in my living room for over a decade. Resident Evil 4 also debuted on Cube and forever changed perspective in shooters.

Wii begat a casual gaming audience before smartphones and tablets swept them into their clutches.

Wii U, while it has a handful of excellent titles - namely a Mario Kart, a Smash, some great Zeldas though none unique to it, and a DKC - redefined Nintendo's jumping-ship trickle of software and third parties' near-complete absence.

Kid Ying

To me it's only better than the GameCube, which is still the worst Nintendo console by a mile. The Wii was much better and the N64 is leagues better.

Still, it's not like the wiiu was bad. It was good. Just not as good as the others. Both Wii and the n64 had gente defining games, lots of stuff coming out, much more variety...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I probably enjoyed the GC a bit more, and the N64 a lot more, but I like it way more than the Wii with the waggle stuff I hated and SD graphics in the HD era.

N64 whups it's ass in my opinion. Mario 64, OoT, Majora's Mask,vGoldeneye, Perfect Dark, og Smash and many more, had way more impact at the time than anything released on Wii U.

fhqwhgads

Wii U is an amazing console but of course GAF Hivemind® loves to hate it because it fuels the Nintendoom fire and because of the lack of Metroid and the belief it would've saved the console. It's by far from a perfect console but it's still an amazing machine.

Lack of power isn't a problem to me, the system still has some gorgeous looking games. (Pikmin 3 being the standout personally), the library is truly amazing for what it lacks in sheer size it makes up for in the amount of truly must have games there are, along with some lovely features like Off Screen play. Amiibos and Virtual Console got off to a rocky start but they really hit their stride in the long run.

System has flaws for sure, the big ones being how the Gamepad never truly reached it's potential, somewhat unfortunate considering how it somewhat muddles the multiplayer capabilities (Not so much if you owned a Wii, but if you didn't then it's a issue) as well as the touch screen not being much better than a DS along with poor battery life. That and the lack of storage space (I hope you got spare cash for External Hard Drives) are the only true flaws of the system to me.

I keep saying it and I will keep saying it because it really drives the Sega fans crazy, the Wii U is the modern day Dreamcast. In 10 years time we'll be talking about it with the most rose tinted glasses possible glossing over it's flaws and the position it put the company in simply because the games on offer were that good.

L Thammy

I would say it's the Wii, which also had some of the best incarnations of classic Ninteno series, but had actual third party support on top of that.

And if handhelds were brought into the equation, the Wii U would trail behind at least the DS line.

Speaking of GameCube, why the hell would I choose it over the Wii U? I can play the superior versions of the two GCN Zelda games on the Wii U. I can play the superior versions of the Metroid Prime games (and for only $20!) on the Wii U. I can play Sunshine... Wait, hold on, I don't want to play Sunshine. I'll take SM3DW over Sunshine 11 times out of 10. Etc etc...

If you're interested in the more diverse library on Gamecube, with first/second party entries in a few series that never saw the light on Gamecube, and 1000 times better third party support, you would. If you want to play 'superior' versions of games that originated( ironically) on the Gamecube, and a few cult classics like Bayonetta 2 and W101 then sure, pick the Wii U.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
What makes it purer than the Gamecube? The majority of bases were covered:

Mario title( sunshine)
Kart( I still prefer this to later releases, mainly because of the 'switch' mechanic)
Smash Bros
Animal Crossing
Mulltiple Mario party titles
Wario World
Kirby
Paper Mario( most would consider the GC version the best)
Windwaker( controversial at the time, and wii U got a HD port)
Zelda Twillight Princess
Metroid( two prime titles)
Donkey Kong( jungle beat)
FX( fans are still begging for a new entry 13 years later)
Mario golf/tennis/baseball/soccer
Eternal darkness( a cult classic that people are begging for a sequel)
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Waverace
Fire emblem
Rogue Leader/Strike

That's first party off the top of my head. Now, quality aside which is subjective in terms of whether you like GC or U entries in those series, GC's First/second library overall > Wii U's rather easily. Third party, however, is the big divider, and while it was criticized back in the day compared to xbox and ps2, third party was better than given credit for and light years ahead of the U:

EA titles, multiplats and 'BIG' sports line( NBA, NFL street, Def Jam)
Capcom fighters
Metal Gear Twin snakes
Ubisoft( Splinter cell, Rainbow 6, Ghost recon)
Other multiplats like Bond, Freedom fighters
Soul Calibur II( with the most popular exclusive character 'Link)
Sega support( Sonic, Craxy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Monkeyball)
Resident Evil( REmake,2,3,4, zero, CVX)
Namco( Tales of symphonia

Again, off the top of my head. It's not especially close IMHO.

Wii U 2015 Games List

Look at that list!

I agree with OP. GameCube is the system that made me fall out of love with Nintendo... lots of subpar entries in great series but redeemed a big by ok third party support and a few choice new IPs. Wii was nice and had awesome unique 3rd party titles, Wii U despite a lack of third party support has remained my most played console this gen thanks to incredible exclusives. Looking at my Wii U library makes me smile, I'm a huge fan of platformers and Wii U has had such a wealth of great ones

Love my Wii U but that vote definitely is a toss up between N64 and GCN. That's without considering handheld consoles either because the GBA and DS are the divine consoles.

Pejo

I think the Gamepad is the best controller since the SNES pad, for sure. If it wasn't for the battery life, and the type of touchscreen it uses, it'd be perfect. Second screen + touch + gyro + mic had so much potential, ultimately ruined by the console commercially tanking.

I like a lot of the exclusives too, but Gamecube probably had a better overall library.

SNES still remains king though.

I do disagree. The SNES edges it out in certain areas. This is someone who loves the Wii U first party library. It'll likely be fondly remembered but it'll definitely be a black sheep along the lines of the Saturn due to it's lack of impact in the market.

I can see people finding 3D World/Tropical Freeze as enjoyable as SMW/DKC2.

MK8 is the best in the series(coming from someone thinking Nintendo could never top Double Dash)

I also feel for kids that play it, SFZ and Smash4 will be fondly remembered for their childhood. I already know my younger cousins love both games and they all find Melee and SF64 controls to be off-putting(they did play them after SFZ/Smash4 though).

The main difference is we haven't had something first party along the lines of LTTP or Super Metroid yet. Those are two titles that I consider to be among the greatest games of all time. There is Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles to take into account but none of those are really Super Metroid Caliber to me.

P.S. NSMBU and it's expansion are waaaaaaay better than NSMB. The levels are some of the funnest to speed run compared to prior titles in the series.

Top Bottom